The season to be jolly

Atrice

Persephone had had quite enough. She saw now that the boy was just that - a boy still! In that case, she had no use for him - or so her wounded pride told her. She stepped back, far enough to let him move. "Fine! Go then! I'm sure you'll be puking along the way. You should learn - little boys shouldn't drink more than they can handle!" It was all said in a hushed, harsh tone. She had crossed her arms over her chest and was practically tapping her toe in impatience. Clearly, she was done with them, her night ruined in all ways.

Phaedo, though, heaved a sigh of great relief! Just as soon as Lexus had mumbled his refusal, he had stepped closer to his young friend. And when the girl stepped back, Phaedo reached for Lexus' arm, tugging at it. "Yes, we should go." He made no pretense of good manners. The girl was a slave, like himself, and she obviously did not care at all about her poor mistress. He owed her no apologies, or good byes even, and neither did Lexus!

They moved to the door and Phaedo opened it a crack, peering out. The coast seemed clear. Without letting go of his friend, he took Lexus by the hand and led him to the back gate. They slipped through and he did not stop walking. Not until they were well away from the home did his pace slow. Even if Lexus was a little worse for the wine he'd had, Phaedo would support him - but he had no intentions of stopping, until he got Lexus home.

@Atrice

Edited by Gil

Finally the girl stepped back and now she was suddenly upset – very upset! She hoped he’d throw up and she added that he was a little boy. Really? He wasn’t! He was growing up, he was good friends with Phaedo, who was even older than he, and who’d want to hang out with a young boy if they weren’t mature enough? It was just because Lexus was drunk and feeling sick and he just wanted to leave and not get into trouble! It was just that, right?!

“You’re not very nice!” Lexus said to her, just as Phaedo caught his arm to get going. Lexus followed, but glared at her over his shoulder, “I’m not sorry I turned you down! You’re not very desirable after all!” He just managed to say before Phaedo opened the door and they left the room. Lexus felt his heart beating like mad, he was feeling angry over her words and if Phaedo hadn’t kept his hold on Lexus, he might have turned around to slap her or something. But Phaedo did keep his hold on Lexus and soon they reached the dark street outside.

“She didn’t have to say what she said.” Lexus said on the way, once they were a good bit away from the house. It hurt, actually. She was mean. He was definitely not sorry he turned her down now, if that’s how she was really like!

@Gil

Phaedo threw a consoling arm about his friend's shoulders. "That is true. But we cannot know how it is for her, in her life, as slave to the household and to her young mistress. Perhaps it is that which makes her sour and selfish. Don't take it to heart too much. Her words were probably not directed solely at you." He gave Lexus a friendly squeeze. "Come. It's time to get you home. Otherwise your mother will never let us out together again." He was teasing, but that thought was sobering enough to make Phaedo hurry Lexus along. Besides Helios, Lexus was his only real friend, and he did not want to jeopardize that by making his mother upset.

@Atrice

He was glad that they’d finally left the house and hoped they could find their way back from here. Meanwhile he was upset over how that slavegirl spoke to him; she spoke down to him, as if he was no more than a boy and Lexus certainly thought he was more than that! Phaedo tried to cheer Lexus up, said he shouldn’t take it to heart, but Lexus almost felt Phaedo defended her, despite his friendly squeeze and all. Probably because he was also a slave.

“If you say so.” Lexus just said, but he couldn’t help but take it a bit personally. He didn’t like to be spoken down to like that; to be treated like someone inferior and unworthy. And she was a slave, not free, like Lexus! Sure his parents had both been slaves, but they weren’t now, so he was born as a free Roman citizen. He had his rights. Meanwhile Phaedo spoke about getting him home.

“I don’t think she minds us being friends.” Lexus said to Phaedo and although he was upset with him, he also knew that Phaedo was one of his few friends here in Rome… and his mother knew that too, “I’m sure if you want to, you can stay with us this night. I’m sure she won’t mind.”

@Gil

• Like 1

The suggestion had Phaedo's eyebrows rising with mild surprise. He wasn't at all sure his own mistress would be pleased for one of her slave's to be quite so free as to stay out all night, somewhere else. Yet it was Saturnalia - a festival when roles reversed and slaves could act as masters, for one night. Lexus was not his master, so Phaedo was not quite sure it applied in the same way to the two of them. They were friends, or so he liked to believe, whilst burying any realization that their status was worlds apart. But it had seemed like the domina of the Venus had pretty much given them all liberty, to go out and enjoy themselves. So perhaps...it would be alright if he stayed away, just this one night.

Besides, the offer made by Lexus would still have to be approved by his mother too. So in response, Phaedo said, quite truthfully, "I would enjoy that. But come, first we must get there." He grinned and with his arm about his friend, they continued to make their way through the dark streets, heading towards Lexus' dwelling.

It seemed to Phaedo that were coming close to their destination, although he wasn't entirely sure that the alley they had chosen would empty out into the street they needed to be on, when a dark shape loomed up out of the shadows, joined by another right beside it. A gruff voice sounded. "Here, now. Who are you?"

@Atrice

Edited by Gil

Phaedo seemed surprised when Lexus offered that he could spend the night at his mothers simple place, but after giving it some thought, Phaedo agreed that he would like that. Once they got there, of course. Phaedo put his arm around Lexus and it felt quite nice, walking through Rome like this. It was getting late now and some places, the party had died out while in other places, it had become louder.

Suddenly though, two men appeared from the shadows near them and wondered who they were. Lexus didn’t know who they were, but he knew Rome could be dangerous at night. Fuck. As if they hadn’t been through enough this night, what with that other girl and her domina… Lexus was worried, now, he didn’t like this.

“I… uhm… I’m Lexus. What do you want?” He said, definitely not feeling like he was the son of some glorious gladiator right now. He looked to Phaedo, hoping he’d know what to do.

@Gil

• Like 1