Secret History of the Romans

Gothic

The writing on the piece of parchment was easy to read and understand. The individual in question had excellent penmanship, each of the letters was precise, readable and it was something he wished to share with the world. 

Dear journal,

Perhaps in the future my writings will be found and used as a basis for what the world knows about Rome? No doubt the larger events will be covered by many of the larger and more influential writers. I do not have the same level of access as they do. Someday I wish to be able to write the tale of every single Roman within the Empire, from Caesar himself right down to the lowest slave, everyone has a story of merit and worth. 

Now, who am I to undertake such a large task? One that would most likely never be completed? I am Gaius of the Petronii Aquilia. It is likely that you do not know my family unless it is to ask about our merchant business, and the wealth we have. I have six children, five daughters including the one that the Gods decided to take from me, and the grandson I adopted in order to take over the family business. My people do not originate from Rome itself. Mauritania, kin in Aegyptus, Roman, our family has mixed roots and ancestry. A male member of my family served in the auxiliary many years ago and through his actions, Roman citizenship became achievable. I married a woman of good virtue and character, who I miss terribly. 

In my younger years when I was more focused on building family wealth in order to rise and teach my children good ethics. Business. It was all that I cared about. Now as my body begins to weaken, the time in this world has begun to grow shorter, and I can feel it. I have begun to look around at the people surrounding me. No doubt, my children possibly think that age has finally caught up with me and now this is a strange little hobby that I use to pass the time. In a way, they are absolutely right. My son-in-law and eldest daughter, the pair of them now run the business from Rome, and I can spend my twilight years doing as I please. 

I have yet to reach out and try to find someone interested in sharing their story with me. I've asked a couple of people. Many seem to think that because they are not Caesars or famous Legates that their story does not matter. I want to hear it. Who knows? Maybe the Romans many, many years into the future would want to know what it was like to live during our times was like. 

And that, would be impressive. 

Gaius. 

Dear journal,

I have yet to truly indulge in my quest to discover all the stories of Rome. There have been some difficult moments where people are not sure whether or not they would like to share their story with me. It is puzzling. Do they think that because they are not a Caesar that their story is not worth telling? It is frustrating. No task is ever done quickly or easily. Once I get the first piece of writing done, I will be able to show people and perhaps they will be interested. Or even with a hint of jealousy where they want their own story told! 

I could, in theory, do my own story and compared to many, it is not the most interesting tale. My life has been quite blessed. A loving family, financial stability, honest slaves, a faithful and caring wife, children, and not having sons doesn't worry me. I must admit that in my earlier years that I had been disappointed for not having a son of my own. Each of my daughters is a gift. Young Gaius, both my grandson and now my adopted son, will have to carry a heavy load on his shoulders. He is growing up and maturing. Listening to Petronia, I often wonder if I was so harsh and cranky with my children. Considering she was the eldest, it makes sense that she bore the brunt of it all and I hope that she forgives me. 

In any rate, I hope to have more writing available for you soon. I have been lucky enough to find a slave girl called Turia who is owned by a fairly wealthy family. I am looking forward to it. 

Until next time,

Gaius.