What are the odds

Chevi

He waved her off with a smile. Of course, he didn't mean that he wished she'd be attacked, it was more a comment on how little action he'd seen at her side. It was a good thing that it was that way, of course, beings that the opposite would mean he'd be searching for a new knife in a crowd every day. No, he liked things the way they were now, quiet and good natured.

At the mention of a house he chuckled.  

"The pay's good enough to find one, sure, but I hardly know the details. Buying a house has a lot of little prickling details... How big? Where at? Not to mention i'll be sandwiched in with a bunch of neighboring Cives..."

He made it sound unpleasant, but the notion was very much excitement for him. The thought of having a place beside the castra to come home to and rest his legs would be a godsend, and one that he felt he'd earned. That wasn't all, of course. Owning a house made you dignified. In a sense, he would be freer to work at his own devices than dote on the demands of the legion every day. He could even take a wife with a reliable place in Rome to live. 

"And what of you? Do you intend on staying with your 'mistress' all your life?"

@Chevi

"The pay's good enough to find one, sure, but I hardly know the details. Buying a house has a lot of little prickling details... How big? Where at? Not to mention i'll be sandwiched in with a bunch of neighboring Cives..."

"Oh no, the horror!" Aia gasped in mock terror, covering her mouth with her hand. She stifled a snicker instead. Decimus, with all the talk of duty and honor, still had plans and dreams like everybody else. A house was a mundane one, but sweet nonetheless. And definitely beat the times when they had bloidthirsty Britons for neighbors. 

"And what of you? Do you intend on staying with your 'mistress' all your life?"

"Gods, I don't even know if I'll last the month!" she snorted, shaking her head with a smile "But no, I don't think growing old as a tutor is my ultimate dream. It's good for now, considering how close things got to... Going terribly wrong, back there. I guess I haven't had time to think beyond that, yet. Too busy learning how real women behave here in the great city... "

@Sains

Edited by Chevi
  • Like 1

"Well, real women often look to marriage at your age, you know? Perhaps some handsome mercenary will sweep you off your feet while in service to the Domina! Maybe you'll be a happy housewife before I even own a house!.. Though you'll have to grow out your hair a bit." 

In truth, he didn't much care how her hair looked. It looked perfectly acceptable to him, both long and short, though it was obviously more customary for Roman women to wear full heads of hair if they could manage it. In the darkened silence of the pantry, it was comical to imagine who she might one day be married to as an independent woman. She was not owned, after all, and she could choose a husband of her own. It would be a smart marriage, to be sure, one that would provide her with enough so that she might not have to run about the emperor offering to teach languages for the rest of her days. But that's not at all what he truly thought she would do. Aius always seemed the type to seek adventure in lieu of safety. She'd chosen to stay in Gaul by herself rather than come with him originally, which he'd always thought she might regret. If there was one word that could describe this one well, it was Independent, and the gods would surely punish any man that tried to put chains on her.

"If I have room when I buy my new palace, you're more than welcome to bring your old mat over and camp out on the floor. So long as you pay for your own food, of course." 

He gave her a joking smile and searched about the room with eyes for a few moments. Nothing of interest to be seen still, just some exposed vegetables and a few more sacks of grain and cheese on the shelf. What a boring place... Though it kept them from the eyes of all well enough. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Well, real women often look to marriage at your age, you know? Perhaps some handsome mercenary will sweep you off your feet while in service to the Domina! Maybe you'll be a happy housewife before I even own a house!.. Though you'll have to grow out your hair a bit." 

"Don't worry, my hair will grow out by the time yours falls out" Aia shot back at him with a grin. A mercenary sweeping her off her feet, indeed. She needed a lot of time before she would warm up to the idea of having a Roman marriage, something advantageous and sensible, but also something that would take away her last chances of independence. Roman wives definitely did not travel the empire. And unless they were comfortably rich, the position seemed like a lot more trouble than being a tutor. Especially because it came with a husband. 

"If I have room when I buy my new palace, you're more than welcome to bring your old mat over and camp out on the floor. So long as you pay for your own food, of course." 

"Generous offer" Aia chuckled, but her smile warmed a little. Decimus knew her well enough to know his suggestions of marriage were not something that made her look forward to that future. He had been on the frontier with her where both of them slept in leaking tents with their weapons nearby. Sometimes it was hard to shift from that life to this one in one's mind. "Although I'm not sure your future wife would be thrilled about that."

• Like 1

Decimus could remember a time when he'd been more light-hearted and carefree, a time before he'd been a soldier. If he'd known what lay hidden in his destiny when he'd first set out, he may well have chosen to stay home. Both of them had seen men die in horrid ways; violent, gruesome, and cruel. Seeing severed limbs and pale corpses did little to settle the mind, but it did wonders to its hardiness. Now that he'd seen the worst that Pluto could send him, there was little that disgusted or made him afraid. Indeed, being around death had taken away his fear... Or at least a large part of it. 

Service had taken away his opportunity to seek a wife, let alone court one. He hardly knew how he might do it. Surely now that he was in the city he could begin to look towards starting a life here, but there was seldom an opportunity to speak to anyone outside of a tavern. He knew from watching other men that the city was well stocked with whores and dishonest women, but he wasn't in the market for unmeaningful sex. At least not yet.

"I wouldn't worry too much about that... I hardly know where to begin looking for one. Not like a house, you see. If I want a house I can take any that I choose, but a woman has many more strings attached. Strange people, your lot."

Of course, he was speaking of women, though Gauls were their own breed of weird. 

@Chevi

• Haha 1

"I wouldn't worry too much about that... I hardly know where to begin looking for one. Not like a house, you see. If I want a house I can take any that I choose, but a woman has many more strings attached. Strange people, your lot."

"Tell me about it" Aia smirked. Strange indeed. Women baffled her even though she now lived among them, and was one of them, and they were all too eager to share their everyday secrets with her. She could understand how Decimus could perceive them as mysterious. He was used to order, and orders, the way only the Roman legions could train you, and to the principles of bravery and honor. None of that was going to help him much when it came to marriage negotiations.

"Well, maybe if you serve the imperials well, they will make a good match for you." she suggested. Noble families had connections everywhere, and they tended to know exactly where a marriage would be an advantage. To everyone involved. "Or you can ask an augur to see if the gods have a plan for you..." she added with a chuckle. Romans placed a lot of faith in their seers, but when it came to marriage, it was not the most exact way of making a decision. "You deserve a good wife, Decimus. You could have died for Rome more than a dozen times." And he was also a good man. It would have been a pity if the Fates got him stuck with a shrew. 

@Sains

• Like 1

Decimus looked at her and rolled his eyes. He highly doubted that anyone would take interest in his finding a wife, let alone the royal family. Besides Claudia, he was quite sure that none of them even knew his name. No, this was a journey he felt that he would have to take up on his own. Oh what a time it would be if he ever found someone to stay with... A new life.

"Ha! They say that good things come to those who wait, and I'm in no hurry. Besides, I've got nothing to my name yet besides the title. When I have property it'll be different."

He once again turned on his side to face her, still lounging in some idle way. 

"What sort of things do they like, anyways?.. I mean I know that you like to fight, but what do they speak of?"

He listened intently for what her answer would be. Likely she would speak of the many mundane activities that woman must find pleasing; sewing, poetry, and the like. That in mind, it was quite possible that Aius might be holding some kind of secret information that he was not privy to, as he'd never truly taken part in 'girl talk' or anything like that. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Ha! They say that good things come to those who wait, and I'm in no hurry. Besides, I've got nothing to my name yet besides the title. When I have property it'll be different."

Property was the key thing in all of this. Decimus could own some, if he could afford it, and start building a life. Right now, he was a praetorian in a position that was a prestigious place, but not one that would make him personally influential. But if he did his job well, and made a name for himself, his future would be a lot brighter. Aiai had never known Decimus to be a social climber, but sometimes, the right place and the right time was useful to make some dreams come true. And he was right, not many people would marry their daughter to a man who did not own anything.

"What sort of things do they like, anyways?.. I mean I know that you like to fight, but what do they speak of?"

Like to fight, indeed.

"Is this a scouting mission?" she smirked, turning to look at him "You want me to be your eyes and ears in the dangerous world of women?" she chuckled "I can do that. Gods know, they talk. And no, usually not about fighting. Unless it's the games. Many of them like looking at a nice gladiator..." she grinned "How about we make a deal? I don't move in the world of men anymore. There is a whole lot that doesn't concern me as a woman. And it bugs me, because I like to know things. So, I tell you what I know, and you tell me what you know. How does that sound?"

@Sains

• Like 1

Decimus was no gladiator, but he'd known for some time now that women of all classes enjoyed watching the games with specific interests. It wasn't too hard to imagine why they enjoyed the fights, after all, the entire premise of a gladiator was one of struggle and triumph. In many cases, when they got popular enough, watching and listening for the actions of a single fighter made for some dramatic entertainment that rivaled greek tragedies. 

"It does sound interesting... But what could I tell you? You spent years in legion camps just like me. You know of what men like, but maybe you speak of gentlemen."

He chuckled at the thought. The demands of any nobleman in the city were quite simple when it came to marriage, but he could hardly see Aius conforming to the wishes of any such man. They wanted wives that were docile and subservient. Having a piece of arm candy to walk with them was always preferable as well, but Aius would surely have no trouble in the beauty department once her hair'd regrown in full. 

With what little he could say of these noblemen. 

"Noblemen in this city love a wife that hangs on their every word. Just like men in the legion, they appreciate a plump arse, but that'll only get you so far behind these walls... No, noblemen require elegance as well as beauty. All too often women are presented to them who haphazardly throw themselves at their feet. If you really wish to have a man of their ilk, a certain degree of seduction is required. Give them a taste of what they cannot have and they'll go mad for you."

@Chevi

• Like 1

The deal was born in the spur of the moment, but it was a good idea. Aia did not have access to things that men talked about anymore, being in a household of mostly women and children. She moved freely in the city, but not the same way she used to, unless she put on men's clothes, but she was quickly losing the ability to pass. Decimus had access to the men's world just like she did to the women's.

"It does sound interesting... But what could I tell you? You spent years in legion camps just like me. You know of what men like, but maybe you speak of gentlemen."

Aia blinked, realizing a moment too late that Decimus did not quite understand what she had been asking.

"Noblemen in this city love a wife that hangs on their every word."

And then it was simply too much fun to interrupt him. Aia linked her fingers together under her chin. "Do tell me more."

"Just like men in the legion, they appreciate a plump arse, but that'll only get you so far behind these walls... No, noblemen require elegance as well as beauty. All too often women are presented to them who haphazardly throw themselves at their feet. If you really wish to have a man of their ilk, a certain degree of seduction is required. Give them a taste of what they cannot have and they'll go mad for you."

Aia made an attempt at batting her eyelashes "Like this?", before she snorted with laughter. "Well, they will go mad for me then, because they are not getting any of this." she noted, making a gesture at her own scrawny self "Bless you, Decimus, I was not talking about finding a husband. Here is another thing about women: We got to deal with what we have, which mostly means men don't want to bore us with the interesting stuff. Like, what's going on at the frontiers. Or what's going on in the Senate. Or what's happening in Rome after dark. It's supposed to upset us or something. I think my domina knows more about politics through her husband, but her husband is all the way in Britannia, and it feels like kind of a pity to live in this city and not actually know what is happening outside our doors."

Decimus lay back down, quite content that he'd divulged some truly inspired wisdom to the young girl tonight. It was only after a few mental pats on the back that he realized what had happened and that he'd completely misread her intent. The batting eyelashes only seemed to further the embarrassment he felt. How could he have been so foolish? She hadn't a care in the world for that type of thing anyway. Next time, he'd just keep his mouth shut! Rubbing his fingers against his forehead, he attempted to recover by responding in turn. 

"That's all?.. You wish to know what's happening in the world?"

He didn't think she'd quite care that much, but then again much of her life had been spent in the provinces as had his. He supposed he must not have thought of the subject first because he'd given Britannia and Gaul so little thought since he'd arrived. The city had, for a few months, taken up all of his thoughts and any passing information of the provinces he'd heard in the presence of the nobility had been largely boring details concerning one family or another. The only way that he was passed any vital information about large events in the provinces was by one of the veteran Optios that liked to spread it in the castra after dark. He was in direct service to Caesar, and so it stood to reason that he might hear a good bit. As for the other pieces to the puzzle of intrigue that was the hill, he knew little. He knew that it would all come with time. He supposed that by year's end he'd be a regular gossip hound like the rest of them. 

"Not much to say then... Heh. Y'know for a moment there I actually thought you cared about the other thing... Anyways, Britannia has grown quiet since we've been gone. Well, quieter anyways. I doubt those people will ever truly been taken, even if we fly a banner from every damn hillside they own."

Rubbing his chin, he shrugged after a few moments.

"Men are still being moved around the empire in droves from that infernal place... Most to Cappadocia I hear. Might be that something's brewing up. May wish to learn Parthian before to long, 'Interprex'. As for the hill, I hear little, my lady is not much for gossip around me. I doubt she trusts me enough yet, but it'll come with time. Are you one for gossip now that you've arrived in this place?"

@Chevi

• Like 1

Decimus was taken aback once he realized the mistake he'd made. Aia chuckled, amused at his embarrassment. It had not been a great faux pas, but in a way, it was telling. And it gave her a chance to make a jab at him, which was always appreciated.

"That's all?.. You wish to know what's happening in the world?"

"That's all" Aia grinned. The world was a large place, with lots of things stirring and brewing. 'All' was quite a broad term, when talking about the Empire. But in a way, still a lot more straightforward than marriage.

"Not much to say then... Heh. Y'know for a moment there I actually thought you cared about the other thing... Anyways, Britannia has grown quiet since we've been gone. Well, quieter anyways. I doubt those people will ever truly been taken, even if we fly a banner from every damn hillside they own."

Aia did care about the topic or marriage. Theoretically. Eventually. She would have to warm up to the whole idea of the institution, but for now, knowing things outside of the household was helping her transition to a different way of life. She nodded at his assessment of Britannia.

"I bet they will cause trouble before long. The moment the next warrior king or queen comes along." she agreed.

"Men are still being moved around the empire in droves from that infernal place... Most to Cappadocia I hear. Might be that something's brewing up. May wish to learn Parthian before to long, 'Interprex'. As for the hill, I hear little, my lady is not much for gossip around me. I doubt she trusts me enough yet, but it'll come with time. Are you one for gossip now that you've arrived in this place?"

"Parthian is not a bad language" Aia mused, and then tilted her head at his last question "Only if the gossip is interesting. I don't think I care much about who is sleeping with whom..." Well, maybe asking Decimus to trade gossip had not been the most solid plan. He was too honorable for his own good. Aia smiled warmly at him anyway.

"But it is just good to talk. You know... without having to watch what I say. We'll need to find a better meeting place than this, though. Not that I mind the food, but we are bound to end up as gossip too if we are not careful..."

@Sains

• Like 1

Decimus nodded and leaned forward from his position to sit more comfortably, stretching after a few moments to relieve some built up tension in his arms. She was right of course, this should certainly be the last time they hide away and whisper among torchlight in such a way. He hadn't truly considered what it would mean if someone had opened the door to the pantry for a late night snack or to prepare some food for the following day. He'd be lucky if he were only thrown out of palace duty... 

"Just like the old times... You're right of course, we can't do anything like this again."

He stood, and brushed away what flour had come to rest on the red linings of his toga. It had been one of the more impromptu meetings in his life, but Decimus could still hardly believe that Aius stood before him. A miracle to be sure. He would make an offering later to Fortuna, for she had certainly seen to this in some way. Perhaps there was a reason for their meeting, perhaps not, but either way he was glad she'd come to the city. 

"Does your Lady come to the city often?.. I still walk the countryside from time to time but I doubt I'll be going as far as your Villa."

Of course, the distance wasn't the issue so much as the fact that he'd no reason to go there. He couldn't rightly go up to that woman's front door and beg entry to speak to Aia every week or so, it would be far too conspicuous, to say the least. No, the best ways to meet would be out of the sight of their employers without a doubt.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Just like the old times... You're right of course, we can't do anything like this again."

"Pity." Aia noted with a smirk as she got to her feet too. She stumbled, accidentally stepping on the edge of her dress, and swore in Gallic under her breath. Pantry was all nice and cozy, but it did not exactly allow for free movement. She brushed some crumbs and flour from her clothes. They were in agreement that they would need a better meeting place.

"Does your Lady come to the city often?.. I still walk the countryside from time to time but I doubt I'll be going as far as your Villa."

"She visits sometimes" Aia admitted "And I am free to come and go when I am not working at the villa. It's... not as easy to come and go as a woman, but I will still come to the city more often than you come to the countryside. When are you usually off duty?"

@Sains

• Like 1

Decimus felt bad for what he asked of her. He certainly wouldn't advise anyone to make trips around the countryside alone, with the exception of skilled warriors. In truth, even he was somewhat on edge during the journey to Rome, though many portions of that trip had been alongside others heading his same way. That being said, he trusted Aia would be able to make the trip quite easily if she needed to. She had more than shown her worth as a scout in Britannia, even staying out of sight when faced with those painted brigands that used to call themselves an army. 

"Well now, there's no need to endanger yourself to come and see me. My work lasts into the night, many days, though it varies... Perhaps I should meet you half of the way. I know of the villa, after all, and of an inn around there."

Or at least he thought he could remember one. It was either an inn or a farm, but the lack of fields surrounding it suggested the former. If it was acceptable to her, he'd be more than willing to make the trip after he got out, most days at least. Some days were simply exhausting with all the walking he was expected to do about the city, but good company would certainly make those more lax days all the better.

@Chevi

• Like 1

There was really no good way in Rome for an unmarried woman and a man not related to her to meet in private. Especially if they did not want to start rumors of doing things they were not even doing. Aia could not sneak into the palace alone, and Decimus could not exactly knock on Flavia Juliana's door and ask for a meeting with her. Living in two different worlds was awfully complicated.

"Well now, there's no need to endanger yourself to come and see me. My work lasts into the night, many days, though it varies... Perhaps I should meet you half of the way. I know of the villa, after all, and of an inn around there."

"How do sordid women normally do this?" Aia muttered, rubbing her temples, trying to think a good solution "If I meet you at an inn nearby, someone is bound to notice, sooner or later... I could go dressed as a man, but that makes it harder to sneak in and out. We can meet here, when the domina is visiting, but I can't tell when that happens..." she sighed "You know, being a woman makes it really hard to talk to whomever I want to..." she blinked, as another thought occurred to her mid-sentence. "Wait. Caecilia Trebulla!"

@Sains

"Sordid women usually disguise themselves, you're no stranger to that concept."

Decimus stared at her with a blank and wanting expression. What had she said? Caecilia who? It was as if it were to be some sort of obvious fact that had been missing from the equation for some time, but he could hardly guess who that might be. 

"Who?.. What would that person have to do with this?"

As she replied, he'd make himself busy, adjusting his toga to its former, regal, position so that it might not be suspected that he'd been doing anything other than meandering through the halls after his duty had come to a close. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Sordid women usually disguise themselves, you're no stranger to that concept."

"Are you saying I have something in common with them?" Aia snorted. Disguise might not be a bad idea, though. She filed the thought of wearing a wig away for later, as she turned to the more pressing issue of finding a good place to meet. It took some thinking, but then the idea hit like a lightning bolt, and Aia's face it up with sudden enthusiasm. Sadly, Decimus was following several steps behind, not knowing the name that she blurted out. Then again, Aia did not expect him to.

"Who?.. What would that person have to do with this?"

"Nothing, she's dead" Aia clarified, then realized that her clarification might need more clarification "It's not her, it's her mausoleum. It's along the road to the villa, not far from the inn. It's a big thing, with a wall, and a small garden, and a vine canopy out of all things. Her family really paid a fortune for it. We could meet there to talk, and no one would know. I doubt anyone goes there at night."

@Sains

• Like 1

Decimus looked at her for a few moments as if she had three heads and then answered her in a sarcastically optimistic tone.

"Oh, fantastic, A mausoleum. Much better than a pantry, I have to say."

He rubbed the bridge of his nose and leaned against the wall, clearly contemplating the idea, however foolish it may have sounded. For the problem was not with the mortal authorities of Rome, though it well could be if they were suspected of disgracing any tombs or other stones that signified the passing of a man to the next world.

"I don't know if Pluto will favor us after these meetings when we shall finally come to meet him, but I can't imagine we'll be well received. But if it is the best place..."

In truth, he didn't know how religious the young girl was, though he would not put the prospect of her worshipping trees based on where she came from. Even so, she must understand the concept of some wicked and haggard old afterlife tree. The point was that the concept made him uneasy at the very least.

@Chevi

• Like 1

The look on Decimus' face spoke volumes. Romans, even the most valiant and disciplined ones, had a fear of the dead. Not many women would ask anyone out for a nighttime meeting among the graves by the road. Or maybe they would, Aia mused. Women sneaking around could go to great lenghts.

"Oh, fantastic, A mausoleum. Much better than a pantry, I have to say."

Aia rolled her eyes. "Not better. But less likely to have living people around." The pantry was cozy and had food, but a servant could walk in any time. And it was in the middle of the palace building, which did not make it the best place to meet regularly.

"I don't know if Pluto will favor us after these meetings when we shall finally come to meet him, but I can't imagine we'll be well received. But if it is the best place..."

"We wouldn't be meeting in the mausoleum" Aia sighed "Why do you think they made a garden in the first place? The monument even has a little poem on it. Stop, traveler, and say my name, or something like that. It's not defiling the grave, it's... visiting." she shrugged "At least let's meet next time and see. If it spooks you, we'll think of something else?"

@Sains

• Like 1

Decimus mulled it over for a few seconds before nodding his head. At least they wouldn't be resting against piles of bones when they arrived. It might actually prove to be rather nice, as he knew there were areas meant for sitting and relaxing during the day when one came to pay homage to their fallen kinsmen. Whoever this 'Trebulla' was certainly wasn't going to mind them having their fun.

"Alright, alright. It sounds like a good plan, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to protect you from any ghosts if we should come across them. "

He now moved for the door, putting his hand on the handle, though refraining from opening it just yet. He would go first and check to see if there was anyone outside, and of course, she would follow suit if the way was clear. There was one more thing to iron out though.

"How shall we communicate? You can always send for me at the castra but how will I contact you under the eye of your lady?"

@Chevi

• Like 1

The plan was not stellar, but it would work. For now. They were working with what they had, which was guard duty for the praetorian, and household limits for the girl who was a tutor to children. They had faced worse odds in Britannia, but for now, the garden of the dead would have to do. Decimus considered it, and had no better ideas to propose.

"Alright, alright. It sounds like a good plan, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to protect you from any ghosts if we should come across them. "

"It's alright, I will protect you" Aia grinned back at him. They had to leave the pantry now, both of them had a place to be before their absence was noticed. Next time, the place might be more chilling, but it would also give them more time to talk. Aiai found that she liked the idea of meeting Decimus again. She had missed her only friend.

"How shall we communicate? You can always send for me at the castra but how will I contact you under the eye of your lady?"

Aia sighed and rubbed her forehead. 

"They really make this very difficult" she frowned "I guess you can leave me a message at the mausoleum, until we figure something better..." she waited until Decimus looked around and made sure the hallway was clear before she exited the pantry as well "Now I just need to find the way back to the room..." she muttered, looking around, then turned back to look at Decimus, and smiled "I'm happy we met again, Decimus. We will figure out the rest."

@Sains

• Like 1

Decimus smiled and brought his hands to Aia's shoulders in a friendly grip. 

"As you say. I'll leave a message there within the coming nights, Gods willing."

Releasing her, he nodded to the long lost friend now found and looked around the hallway himself. HE didn't quite know how he might help her from here, though she could probably manage it on her own. The night had grown long in the palace, and the only voices that still lay awake speaking were those of a few noblemen and women who didn't quite know when to put out the candles. 

"Aye, the days have been long, and knowing you're alive is the greatest comfort a man could ask for... Many of the meetings chambers are just down that way."  He said, pointing down one of the adjacent hallways that seemed to have a few streams of light still present at its ultimate end. 

"If your Lady is still here, I imagine that's where she'll be."

And with that said, and little else to say, he gave a final awkward wave and set about finding his own way out of the palatial maze. It wouldn't take him too long, but already he felt a sense of longing to see that scout again. Perhaps he'd truly been ignoring how lonely he'd come to feel in these new surroundings. A familiar face was hard to come by when most of your life had been spent hundreds of miles away. In any case, he was sure they'd meet again soon.

@Chevi

FIN

• Like 1