Domus call

Chevi

It occurred to Theo that he was digging too deep into Justinia's personal life, but for now, she did not seem to mind. It was a little surprising, honestly; even a good brothel like Venus had to be hard work, especially for the more popular girls. Then again, Theo did not know all that much about the inner workings of brothels.

"The patrons who come here are supposed to be the best the city has to offer. The wealthiest and most powerful. Of course there are many that are full of themselves, but they usually like to see a pleased woman. If the patrons ended up hurting the women, they wouldn't be welcome back. That would be a big insult to their ego. So they take care of us well, or well enough. I could be a lot worse off." 

Theo could not argue any of those points. Venus seemed to have good security, and if they did not take care of their women and boys well, Theo would not have been here in the middle of the night in the first place. She could have been worse off, for sure, but she could have also been better off. If she had not been a slave.

"I'm sitting here while eating olives and cheese and getting to meet many people. Some slaves end up in the darkest and most awful places by themselves. I consider myself one of the luckiest." 

"It's good cheese" Theo agreed with a chuckle, and took another bite. Venus made sure their customers were satisfied in more ways than one "Here is what I don't understand, though. If I bought your time, why do they care what we do or don't do? I mean, I have no qualms about acting very pleased when I walk out of here, but I have never been complimented on my acting talents..."

@Sydney

• Like 1

Justinia always tried seeing things from the bright side. It could be hard sometimes, that was for sure, but it was better than always being gloomy. Maybe she wasn’t exposed to the evils of the world yet. She had seen a lot in her life and been through much, but she could always see the other side of the coin. Things were always worse somewhere else. She could’ve died with her mother, or been kept as a body slave for her jealous Dominus. She could even go back and forth between the slave trade, which was the scariest thought. But she had a home, even if it was a brothel. 

When Theo said it was good cheese, she laughed. It was some of the best cheese she ever had! Everything was so high quality at Venus, and she understood why it was so expensive. They had to keep their reputation with the most reputable clients. 

He spoke again, this time with a good question. He was right, as long as someone pays for time, they should do whatever they please during that time. But it didn’t work like that. Justinia learned that quickly. “They will be able to tell. There’s a sort of aura about people after they are intimate with someone. There is a big difference between being happy and being fulfilled sexually.” She said, taking a sip of her wine. “Though with your question, it is a matter of merchandise and whether we are good enough. If a man doesn’t want to sleep with a gorgeous slave that he paid for, than there must be something wrong with the slave. We have failed in desiring the customer despite what the customers’ true intention is.” 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Justinia laughed. It was good to hear her laugh. Wine, food, and some time spent with relaxing and conversation were a good way of lightening one's mood after a shocking experience. It reminded Theo of all the things he'd learned at his father's side about how there was a lot more to health than curing wounds and illnesses.

“They will be able to tell. There’s a sort of aura about people after they are intimate with someone. There is a big difference between being happy and being fulfilled sexually.”

"Yeah, well, I don't think I can act that well." Theo noted with a smirk "Not without a mask..."

“Though with your question, it is a matter of merchandise and whether we are good enough. If a man doesn’t want to sleep with a gorgeous slave that he paid for, than there must be something wrong with the slave. We have failed in desiring the customer despite what the customers’ true intention is.” 

Theo blinked, his smirk turning into a slight frown. 

"Well, that's not fair... and also... uh, awkward." he admitted. Punishing the slaves for a customer who might have different wishes than others, that was just unfair to them. And now that they were here with Justinia's time paid, Theo was beginning to comprehend the trap he had unwittingly put himself (and her) in. She'd be expected to do her job, and he'd be getting her into trouble if she didn't. The medicus sighed, rubbing his forehead "I'm terribly sorry, I didn't know. So... how shall we untangle this knot?"

@Sydney

• Like 1

Justinia didn't mind getting in trouble for the medicus. She had a meaningful conversation with Theo, one that she hadn't had in a long time. If she got in trouble, she didn't think her time here would be at stake. At least, she hoped it wouldn't come to that. Maybe, if she was fortunate enough, they wouldn't have noticed. But when a client stood out compared to the other clients, it was easy to tell. 

She felt bad for telling the man about what would happen. It wasn't her intention, She knew she should have kept her mouth closed, adn when she saw his reaction, she regretted it. Justinia never wanted anyone to feel uncomfortable in her presence. Theo did so much for her and she basically said how it meant nothing to her. 

"Dominus, I'm sorry. I never should have said anything." Justinia sighed. "I'm not supposed to tell anyone about that. I appreciate what you've done for me, I haven't had a real conversation in so long. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable, nor do I want you to pity me." 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Theo could see the regret in Justinia's face. She had said something that was a secret to patrons, something about the inner workings of the brothel that was supposed to be co concealed from the patrons seeking satisfaction. No one wanted to know how the slaves were kept in line to do their job. 

"Dominus, I'm sorry. I never should have said anything. I'm not supposed to tell anyone about that. I appreciate what you've done for me, I haven't had a real conversation in so long. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable, nor do I want you to pity me." 

Did he pity her? Theo reflected on his own feelings. It was not pity, he concluded, as much as it was a kind of sadness over the girl's talents being wasted  on a job when she could have done so many other, better things. 

"As long as you will be alright" he sighed, nodding. She might be scolded, but the night had some very obvious special circumstances. "I enjoy talking with you too" he added with a smile "I'll leave it up to you, if you'd like me to return."

@Sydney

• Like 1

Justinia was never one to think about what she said. She was always obedient, never wanting to say anything that would get herself in trouble. She never slipped up on her unsaid thoughts. But talking to Theo was so easy and the conversation flowed well. It wasn’t something she was used to. She said some questionable things to him that she never said before. Sometimes the world’s logic was strange, she thought. 

The dark-haired woman smiled at him. “Yes, I will be alright. I believe that speaking to you is worth getting into the trouble.” He was just so kind and authentic. He would be a great friend, she thought. Maybe that was what friendships were. 

“I am not the one spending the money. It is not my decision to tell you what to do and what not to do. It is up to you, Dominus.” She was definitely expensive and alright company. Justinia has no idea why someone would buy her time just to talk, like Theo did. 

@Chevi

Yes, I will be alright. I believe that speaking to you is worth getting into the trouble.” 

Was it? Theo had doubts about just how good a coversation partner he made for someone who lived in a whole different world, but he was not about to turn down a compliment. Justinia was not used to men wanting conversation from her, he assumed. The age of hetaerae was long gone, or, in Rome, never really existed. 

I am not the one spending the money. It is not my decision to tell you what to do and what not to do. It is up to you, Dominus.”

"Well... I will see you again, then" Theo decided with a small smile. The gods knew how he was going to earn the kind of money he would need to spend, but that was another question. "I will have to come back and check on Flor anyway." 

Sometimes one made friends in the most unexpected places. 

@Sydney

• Like 1