His eldest daughter, Petronia, the matriarch of the family had suffered from a sore back and her monthly courses did not come as they had done so previously. She was a mother already, and knew the signs but wished to be careful. Therefore a midwife, recommended by one of the older and matronly household slaves was to be brought to the home. The house was busy. There were many family members living under one roof and the paperwork for the business was done here. Mostly by his son-in-law and grandson these days. 

Gaius wore a simple white tunica and in his weathered hands carried the walking stick that he was known to carry. He sat inside the Atrium of the building, every so often, one of the customers would speak to him and he would greet them politely. Then direction to his son in law or grandson. He sat on a rather plain looking wooden seat and smiled to himself, there were many thoughts concerning the past, the future, and the Gods decided now was the time for his mind to wander. Many long years ago it would have been considered to be strange for him to meet with a midwife. He wanted to speak to her, get to know her a little before he would direct her towards his Petronia and why not? He was a protective father. Even if she protested he would do it. 

He smiled softly, his hands and chin rested on his walking stick as he waited. His fingertips tapped when he could have sworn he stopped her. Gaius grumbled as he used the cane to assist him as he stood up, his knees clicked and ached. If he did not walk to keep the muscles warm they would eventually lock up, preventing him from moving swiftly and smiled. 

"Salve, are you the midwife? Rukia Agda?" He asked, stood near her and waited for her answer. These days he was in no hurry for anything and the experience of other people's company was a gift in itself. 

@Bee Bee

• Like 1

"Kitty come here." Every midday, Rukia would feed her cat, Nedjem, a small meal of scraps from last night's dinner. She, at least Rukia believed Nedjem was a she, would come and go as she pleased, but would always return within midday and nighttime. Rukia left a plate of fish and meat by the door of the home she shared with her sister and her sister's children as a lanky black kitten scrambled up to eat. "Hello my sweet. I have a job to do now, so your meal was a little early, today. Be good and watch my family."

The home she was called to was new to her, but she was more acquainted with a house slave that worked there. A sweet woman, Rukia believed, and she surely hoped that the Dom or Domina of the home was just as kind. She traveled about with her supplies carried in a heavy bag that was slung on her shoulder as she tried to remember the directions given. Evey once in a while, she'd have to apologize in accented Latin for either bumping into someone or being in someone's way.  When she was nervous, her grasp on the language would slip, but once she found her destination, she eased. Her hair was covered in a yellow palla, which wrapped around the waist of her stolla, which was a similar color. Up ahead, she saw a man with skin the color of deep earth seated in front of the domus of her intended patient. He seemed friendly, but her experience with some Romans have left a nasty taste in her mouth, and had fully intended to leave him before he stopped her.

She nodded, her lips in the shape of a small simper, "Indeed, I am Rukia Agda. And I am a midwife." Well, at least he did prove to be friendly.  "It's a pleasure to meet you." @Gothic

• Like 1

"Ah, welcome, welcome," He said, he could tell by her accent that she was not Roman. Her clothing was distinctly different, her accent, and mannerisms. Gaius could not quite tell where she was from. Nubia? He could not say. All that he knew was that she would no doubt have an impressive story to tell. The weathered hand reached out palm up in a gesture for her to follow him, he smiled at her kindly and wished to reassure her. The door was opened for them, and they made their way inside the building. One of the household slaves gave Gaius a polite nod before they went back to their task of cleaning one of the decorative statues.

"Right this way, Rukia Agda," Gaius encouraged her to walk with him. "We cannot leave her waiting. She can get quite fussy when she is left waiting," He chuckled, smiled and stopped in the spot. He had forgotten his manners and had not introduced himself properly. His hand extended out for her to take, waited patiently and would not be offended if she choice not to. It may not be her custom to permit shaking hands between men and women. 

"I am Gaius," He said, for a moment, he was tempted to not reveal who he was within the household or the power that he held. Gaius wished to see how she behaved thinking he was relatively of normal status. Would she be worried to speak in front of an equite? He paused, rubbed his dry lips together and thought that trickery would be worse for them both. Gaius had not forgotten the brief look of frustration that he had been given. "I am the Dominus of the household. Your patient is my eldest daughter, Petronia."

@Bee Bee

• Like 1

He seemed very kind, which was a reprieve from her day to day interactions with the locals. It did help, somewhat, that his features were far more familiar to her. She had met some people with hair as red as fire or as gold as wheat, but admittedly, she felt a bit more at home with those looked more like her own family. This home also seemed to echo the light and airy nature of their meeting. It was a beautiful home, something she almost wanted to comment on, but felt it a bit rude to simply blurt it aloud.

She walked in step with him, still smiling sweetly as he mentioned her patient's moods. "Ah, well most ladies tend to be if they're expecting. If she's truly with child, I'm sure her moods may lighten a little with the news." And while Rukia never experienced it, from examining enough women, there were other things that could make a pregnancy far more difficult than being simply 'fussy'.

When he offered his hand, she hesitated a little, but shook it. The Romans had strange customs, but she would manage well just as long as she was determined and respectful. However, when he introduced himself as the Dominus or lord of the home, she stammered. "O-oh! It's a pleasure, Dominus Gaius?" Domina. Dominus. So many fancy titles and names, it could make her head spin. But this Gaius seemed so sweet and understanding, she only hoped she wasn't butchering his name. "No worries, Dominus. Your daughter is in safe hands, I promise. Now, could you direct me to her?" @Gothic

• Like 1

Gaius listened patiently. He did not rush her when she spoke and nor did he mock her pronunciation. It was cruel to do so. "Oh," He said, gestured with good natured dismissal. "Gaius, is fine. If you would prefer I speak some Greek, Egyptian, hmm.. bits and pieces of the language of Nubia although I must confess. That I neglected my tutors with that one, I learned quickly though! A wily dealer managed to get a good deal out of me, many years ago..." Gaius mused, chuckled to himself and shook his head in amusement. At the time he had been so incredibly angry and wanted to absolutely throttle the man. Now? It was a source of laughter and good humour. He hoped that it would put Rukia at ease. 

"Oh yes," He said, gestured to his head as though he had forgotten and led her through the house where his eldest sat. Her expression was one of a wiser woman, a matron and the queen within the walls of the family home. "Petronia, this is the midwife that was recommended to us," He said, smiled at Rukia and then towards Petronia. It would not be proper for him to remain and nor did he wish to pressure Rukia in her work. 

"Thank you, Pater. Rukia, thank you for coming," Petronia answered with a smile. "I have had more cramps than I have had in the past." She said, then looked at her father and waited for him to take the hint and leave. 

Gaius was not going to stay. He hid a cheeky smirk and was tempted to pretend not to understand for a moment. "Of course, I will be waiting with the coin for payment in the atrium." He said. Turned on his heel and walked back out the way he had come. It was a nice spot to sit, nice and sunny. He waited for the results and retreated into his daydream of the past. 

OOC: Here is the wanted ad for some more information on her. We can rp out Petronia or we can skip that and go straight to them talking. Up to you. 🙂

@Bee Bee

• Like 1

This Gaius was certainly, interesting. She understood him for the most part, and shook her head when he offered to speak in a language she could understand a bit more. "No need, Gaius. I need to learn to speak the local language better, either way." She laughed when he told her an excerpt of a story he'd experienced in the past, "I hope that didn't sour you to the people of Nubia. We're usually far more hardworking and honest than that!" She smiled sweetly once introduced to his beautiful Petronia, she almost thought she must've been his young wife the way she carried herself within their home. She sat so tall and regal. Only the tribal queens of the West and north of Nile seemed to carry such beauty. Yet, granted, her mother Neferat is also such a beauty.

"It's nice to meet you, Petronia." Rukia said with a slight nod. Eyeing her father, however, she was glad she didn't have to say anything to get him to leave. Moments like these were better spent without an audience. She waved him off before she moved towards Petronia and began her work, "Domina Petronia, if I press your belly like so, let me know if you feel any pain..." With how nice this family appeared, she hoped that this would be an easy visit!

OOC: It's okay if we skip! I'd just say that it's possible she might be feeling some early stages of pregnancy, just in time before her morning sickness settles in. @Gothic

• Like 1

He nodded, she was right and if she was to keep regular employment in Rome. It meant she needed to be able to speak Latin well, still, he knew how many of the Romans would be. "Oh, not at all," He answered, he held no grudges towards people in his past and even wondered if he would ever run into that man a second time. What story would he tell him? Gaius sat down again, groaned as his knees cracked and sighed once he had finally sat down. He relaxed, decided to test his eyelids out for holes and gradually drifted off to sleep while he leaned against the wall. 

Meanwhile, Petronia smiled and nodded her consent. "I will," She said, compliant with the wishes although not particularly enjoying the experience. The eldest daughter of Gaius sat waited for Rukia to place her hands on her stomach. It did not take long for the meeting to conclude. "My stomach keeps aching. I am not sure if I am dealing with morning sickness or not," She smiled, and rested her hand on her stomach, rubbed the skin and waited for any sign. It had not been long. "Am I pregnant?" She asked, surprised and soon it was confirmed that Petronia was indeed pregnant with her next child. Rukia was greeted with wide, happy smiles and the promises of prayer to be made in her honour. "Thank you, the family will be pleased. Pater will give you the payment." She said, and thus, gave Rukia a moment to leave without causing offense. 

Gaius was still leaning against the wall. He snored loudly and occasionally scratched his nose with a sniffle. 

@Bee Bee

• Like 1

The announcement of a new arrival was always a grand thing in her mind. The way an expectant mother or father's face would light up at the news always seemed to warm Rukia's heart. 'Maybe one day,' Rukia thought, 'I'll be just as happy.' When she felt the tell-tale knot in Petronia's belly, even she smiled. "Thank you, in advance, for praying for me. I'll make sure to pray for your child's health in these coming months." If the child was conceived around this time, Rukia surmised that this child was meant for winter. "It will be cold around the time of your delivery, so be mindful and eat plenty of fresh things." Seeing that Petronia would probably want some time to herself, she stepped out to find Gaius, resting against the wall not far from his daughter's room.

She cleared her throat, "Dominus Gauis, I have an announcement." Rukia said, "Your daughter is indeed pregnant. Depending on the time, she'll deliver in the winter." He was snoring so loudly, that she wondered if he could even hear within his dreams! @Gothic

Edited by Bee Bee
  • Like 1

Gaius awoke with a jolt. 

He had been dreaming of seeing his late wife once more. Hearing her voice, a touch of her hand, and walking together as they did many times. There was no pain in his fantasy, dream realm of his, and his beloved leaned close to whisper in his ear about a seed. A gift for the family. He wanted to ask her what she meant by that, and surely, maybe... could she return with him? He missed her terribly. 

He looked around and again, saw Rukia's beautiful face and instantly beamed brightly at the news. His smile was wide and his eyes creased as he did so. It was joyous news! Gaius ignored the pain in his joints, rose to his feet and the wooden walking cane fell to the ground with a thud. Gaius pulled Rukia close and embraced her. Happy tears in his eyes as water formed in them. 

"Oh thank you! This is most joyous news!" He exclaimed. "Will you join me for some wine to celebrate?" He asked, and understood if Rukia was needed elsewhere. And perhaps.... he would be able to find out more about her, and her tale. 

@Bee Bee

• Like 1

Their reaction, their sweetness. She almost yearned it in a way. Especially, Gauis' response as she woke him. When he hugged her, her own smile finally grew and patted him on his shoulder as they broke. "It's no trouble, Dominus," Her expression ever so gracious at his offer of wine. It wouldn't have hurt to be their guest, after all, she had a bit of a walk ahead of her.

"Of course, I'd love some." Rukia answered, still curious about the elder's family life in Rome. She almost wanted to ask him about where he came from, but decided against asking him so soon. "Lead the way." @Gothic

• Like 1

Gaius clapped his hands upon releasing her from his grip and turned to lead Rukia into the tricilinium (dining room). The room was decorated with images of fertility, fierce beasts and mythological figures, and was certainly not as grand as many of the other homes. There was a wooden bowl with dried fruits and bread along with wine. It may have been a little sneaky for him to do this but a quill, parchment and ink pot were already in place for him to use. "Ah, there it is," He said, poured the watered down wine into two wooden cups and sat on one of the cushions. 

"Ow.. oof, be careful about growing old, you need to carefully sit down," He mused and stopped himself. A lot of the time the young did not wish to hear the ailments of the older members. "Joyous news! A child!" He exclaimed, smiled and gestured for Rukia to sit. It was important to be a good host. Once the business had been concluded. In his eyes, she was now a guest in his home and would receive the bounty. 

"Now, I did have some slightly ulterior motives for inviting you..." Gaius began, and tapped the parchment with his fingertips. "Do you mind telling me the tale of your life? Names can be changed, if you wish it of course, and only tell me what you wish to hear." He said kindly, it was a lot to ask considering they had just met not long ago.

@Bee Bee

• Like 1

She was a mix of emotions. Rukia never felt the need to act as if her personal story was anything special. In fact, there were some parts of her life that she had regretted. One of those being the reason she was in Rome in the first place. Graciously, she sat next to the friendly codger, and almost instinctively offered him some fruit or bread before she started.  “My name is Rukia.” She thought for a moment, and spoke again, “But in Abyssinian, it's more pronounced like Ruqqayah. I’ve gotten used to being Rukia in Roma, however Ruqqayah is my real name.”

Her eyes glanced up at a statue as she tried to reminisce, “My father is Greek and my mother is an Abyssina, my grandparents didn’t like that very much, since they wanted her to marry a boy in their village, instead.” It was difficult to explain the story her mother told in Latin, but she tried the best she could, “So they left? Ah, eloped. For a year in Greece, and when she returned, she had my sister in her arms!” She smiled, her was a woman that believed in a child’s obedience, but to learn that even she rebelled for love was... intriguing. “My father’s family was different. They loved her.”

@Gothic

• Like 1

Gaius happily listened while she introduced herself and explained her origins. Despite his age, he remembered faces and words quite well and would be able to write what had taken place easier later on. Besides, he wanted to focus on paying attention to her, and her tale. Mentally he was trying to say her name. Ruqqayah.... Ruqqayah.... there were many people in Rome who retained their old names or latinised them in order to fit in with the rest of society. He wondered where her parents were now. Did any members of the family reconcile? Rukia's mother sounded willful, and it reminded him of his eldest child. 

Gaius loved love stories. The creases and he smiled, imagined the Greek man and the Abyssinian woman meeting and falling in love. He hoped the pair of them were somewhere happy and safe. "It sounds beautiful," He answered, continued to imagine them and their family. Family was the most sacred and beloved gift from the Gods. "Tell me more. Where are they now? Is your sister in Rome too?" Gaius asked politely. His fingertips tore and piece of bread off, dunked it in the salted oil and placed it in his mouth. He gestured with his hand to encourage her to help herself to the food and wine. 

@Bee Bee

• Like 1