Come what may

Brian

This venue still remained popular. All despite the grander structure that had been built by the Flavians and continued to serve as a training facility. Occasionally, the smaller performances would take place here, still.

Lucius did not travel with his son this time. Instead he chose to come alone, mingle with the crowd and see what was available to do. Thus far, politics was fairly quiet and the Flavians were not like many of their predecessors. It gave him a sense of uneasiness. Did this mean any scion of the bloodline would end up being just as sane as he? Would the united family remain so after the death of Quintus Alexander? Throughout history many brothers, cousins, and distant kin would throw in their own lot if it meant there was a chance of rising. There had to be a way to temper ambitions and ensure that there would be a good candidate who would serve. Lucius sat and watched the games, half-heartedly and did not enjoy them as much as he used to. A familiar face was seen. Manius Aemilius Scaurus Pius, crippled and he had heard mixed things about it over time. He had seen him walk with a cane in the past and had mixed feelings. How would he react if he was forced to live in such a state?

Lucius raised his hand in a greeting to his fellow Senator and then gestured for Pius to join him. "Salve Scaurus Pius, it has been some time since I have seen you." He greeted him. They were not close nor did they spend a great deal of time together. Both of them were connected to the Flavian dynasty through marriage or adoption. The connections likely aided them both. 

Lucius waited to see what the other would say or do. 

@Chris

Manius had risen early and spent most of the morning reviewing notes in the Basilica Julia for a new case he had taken that involved a dispute over ancestral lands outside of Rome proper. After he had fiinshed prepared for the hearing - that was just the next day - he headed out to the Amphitheater of Statilius, constructed over 100 years earlier, in the Campus Martius. He was not an avid fan of the games, in truth, but his son Lucius had fawned over them as a youth and the two of them made a habit of going every week. Though Lucius was far away on the German frontier, Manius kept up the tradition. He wondered if his son would enjoy the fighting now that he had lived it for the past three years.

Just then Manius was pulled from his thoughts by the sound of his name lingering in the air. He turned in the direction his ears told him it had come from and saw Lucius Caecilius Metellus. Metellus was not unlike Manius; a man with an ancient and prestigious name that was far less important than it used to be. Nevertheless, they had weathered the storms and continued to adapt and adjust. "Salve, Caecilius Metellus," Manius returned in kind, standing to move closer to the man. What was a day at the games without a little political discussion?

"I trust the day has treated you well thus far?"

@Brian

• Like 1

He admired Scaurus Pius for his grit when it came to walking. The injury must have caused him considerable pain yet every day, he found a way to manage. He smiled and his hand extended out to shake Pius' hand, took his in his if it was accepted and gave a firm yet not crushing handshake in a warm greeting. Lucius smiled, the day had been pleasant and this was one of the few days where his son was not with him.

The boy was busy with his tutors and would soon begin the earliest steps of the honos curum. Something he looked forward to and hoped that his son would appreciate the path both set for him, and live up to the expectations that came with his family name. Something that Lucius himself wished to improve and grow. Times had changed yet... there was something to be found in the old ways. 

"It has been good to me. I thought I would catch some of the games. What about yourself?" He asked.

@Chris

Manius put on a soft smile after Metellus gave a straight and simple reason for watching the games. "My morning was mostly consumed with preparing for my upcoming cases," he said in kind.  "Coming here is something of a mental warm up, I suppose. Watching a fight in order to prepare for one." He kept the same smile on his face and then carefully took a seat next to Metellus. Though Manius had adapted to walking, and made his way around well enough, standing and sitting were still two tasks that he had to approach carefully and with concentration. It was something with the way his back and knees had to bend. He postured himself over the seat, and using the strength in his arms slowly lowered himself down.

And then he decided to dive into politics. "Have you heard any rumors of what might be on the ticket for this month's session?" The senate was set to convene in just a matter of days, and it was always best for those in the middle to have an idea of what they might have to discuss.

@Brian (apologies for the delay!)

• Like 1

He nodded his head, it made sense. Debate was mental warfare rather than physical warfare. Plus, there was always a chance that there would be gossip about whatever dealings were taking place. 

Lucius watched as Manius lowered himself down, used his arms in order to do so and if they were in private, he would have aided him. In public? Lucius did not wish to potentially embarrass him or possibly make any sign that he had noticed. A man's virtus was vital to uphold in all circumstances. Despite his connections to the Imperial family, it decreased after Caecilia's passing and unfortunately he was now out of the loop. Connections, he would need to reestablish these once more. 

"No, unfortunately not," Lucius admitted, talking politics was a vital part of dealing with life. "Do you have any idea about what it will be about? Jullus is currently back in Rome, and one has to wonder what that could possibly mean." He asked, Jullus, his former son-in- law and eligible bachelor. There was a chance there would be expansion into Germania yet it was always difficult to see. 

@Chris

"I had heard of Jullus' return," Manius said, following his colleague's comment. "Though I wasn't sure if it was true. It seems like he follows in the typical Flavian footsteps of staying outside of Rome and involved in the legions in some way." Quintus Caesar had been the same, as had their father. "So if he is in Rome, it surely must mean something." Whether it was a sign that there would be movement toward a German incursion, or possibly that Caesar had lost faith in his brother, only time would tell... though Manius would bet on the former rather than the latter.

"I have heard nothing more than rumors," he continued. "A few expectations that Caesar will address the issue in the east with Parthia and these 'new Seleucids'. Personally, I don't think the administration's eyes are set on continued warfare. Caesar has been at war for a long time. Then again, he has won his fortune and power through warfare and the legions, so it might serve him to serve those who support him." Manius paused to observe the entertainment for a moment before probing Metellus. "What are your views on the situation in the east?"

@Brian

Lucius nodded his head in agreement. The Flavians had made their name and fortune through military action, many seemed to thrive better in military life than civilian life in his opinion. It was fun to speculate, it was different to be outright wrong. "Yes, my bet? Either something with Germania, he is being reassigned or there is some important matter to discuss among their ridiculously huge family," He sighed with a jokingly dismissive wave of his hand. 

Now this part was most interesting. Lucius had also heard of the movement and the rumours of the various forces of the East. It was troubling, yet it would provide an opportunity for people to advance in station if they were clever. There was always a prize in a victory in the East. If they did proceed, there was a chance that his sons and kinsmen would be tested in that area. And one would like for his own son. "I think it is quite an opportunity for Rome, the new 'Seleucids," He rolled his eyes at them, "are upstarts and the Parthians have always been ambitious, I wonder if they will eventually turn that energy to Rome." 

Tag: @Chris

Manius listened attentively as Metellus spoke, though his eyes remained transfixed on the bout before them for a few seconds. "If history tells us anything, they will," he continued, commenting on Lucius' rhetorical pondering. "New leaders always like to find a common enemy." Rome after Quintus Caesar's rise had been no different with his war of revenge against the Germans, and then continued conquests in Britannia.

"I have heard quite conflicting opinions on the Graeci," Manius said, calling the Seleucids by the common term the Romans had picked up for them. "Scaurus Major had a great number of connections in the east, and I maintain correspondence with them as often as I'm able. Some have told me that the Graeci are making short work of the Parthians on account of several satraps also warring against the Great King." Parthia had always struggled with civil wars... even still, it had proved itself to be a formidable empire - one that had defeated Roman generals several times.

"Even still, I agree with you. I believe the Graeci will eventually lose out," he continued. "Perhaps when they do, Caesar will find Parthia weakened enough to wage his own war against them." Though not a military man in any sense of the word - on account of his injuries - Manius nevertheless understood the mechanisms behind it, and would support conquests for the proper cause.

@Brian

Lucius was not close to the regime or the secrets that were told. He needed to find a way to become more involved in the affairs once more. He nodded in agreement, and it would keep the focus away from any possible dissatisfaction back home. 

Again, he listened to what Pius told him about the future, and had to admit that he wondered how soon it would be before the victories would eventually lead them towards Rome. Either way, having such a powerful neighbour to the East was not favourable, and yet... there was always the chance for wealth and opportunities. The Gods had been considerably kind to him when it came to his appearance and age. Soon it would be time for his son to prove his worth, and bring glory to the family name. 

"Perhaps, I wonder who would be in command. Would the princes or other relatives be sent?" He asked, shrugged and sipped his wine. It was likely that the glory would need to be proven for the next generation. Yet.. Quintus Caesar was no fool. There was no way he would put the inexperienced boys completely in command of the legions and run the risk of losing them. "Or rather, who would be put in command?"

@Chris