What book are you reading at the moment?

Gothic

I've just finished In Extremis, which is a biography of Marie Colvin which is brilliant! I never usually read non-fiction, but it was amazing, definitely one of my new top tens! 

I'm now reading Kindred by Octavia Butler and it's a whole different style but I'd say just as good!

(My new years resolution was to only read books written by women or PoC, so if you have any recs please do shout!)

• Like 1

"Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield. 

"Gates of Fire is a 1998 historical fiction novel by Steven Pressfield that recounts the Battle of Thermopylae through Xeones, a perioikoi born in Astakos, and one of only three Greek survivors of the battle." A quick synopsis of the book. 

I definitely recommend it! 

• Like 1

I just finished reading an Inspector Lynley crime/murder mystery - "This Body of Death" - which happened to turn around the discovery of some Roman loot in the New Forest of England. So that was kind of fun!

I've never watched the TV show (BBC?) made from the books. But I can HIGHLY recommend the entire series of books by Elizabeth George. (If you like contemporary "murder mysteries")

• Like 1

Just bought 'The Ides of April' which is the first Flavia Albia book by Lindsey Davis, though not the first Flavia Albia book I've read. If you like the Falco novels, Flavia Albia is the next generation (literally; she's his daughter). Ancient Rome detective novels by an author with a very dry sense of humour. Highly recommended!