Polarity

Polarity's Plotter

Posted (edited)

Ambrosius

Briton Slave of the Parisi | Gladiator-in-training

Ambrosius, or Turi as his parents named him, was born as a free Briton to the Parisi tribe and brother to Charis & Nymphias.

After a multitude of conflicts with the occupying Roman forces that culminated in the deaths and division of his family members had left him without security or purpose, he waged a short-lived campaign against his conquerors. He was subsequently wounded and enslaved, being a recent arrival to Rome where he met and became a recent slave of Lucius Furius Pontius Thracius Minor. He occasionally exhibits a noticeable limp as a result of these actions.

He has spent the last few months in training to become a gladiator, which has caused him to adopt a stoic and pragmatic outlook as he struggles to come to terms with his new environment. This only masks a deeper anxiety and even neurotic personality that increases to surface as his mind attempts to move past the traumas of his youth.

He is fairly tall and broad of build and deceptively strong, when one pauses to consider a sensitive ego beyond his frame and piercing eyes. He rationalises the deeds he must perform to the delight of Romans as part of a grander plan to reclaim what he lost, but time has a way of taking its toll.

Looking for:

• Friends/Allies – At this early stage, the most likely possible friends and allies are other slaves, but I'm open to any ideas you may have.
  • Enemies/Rivals – Any good Gladiator needs a rival, so I'm happy to entertain any thoughts in that regard. An antagonistic between his owner or trainer is also possible.

Manius Carisia Magnus

Freedman of the Equestrian Class | Leader of the Blue Chariot Faction

Manius Magnus (as he is colloquially known) is a former-slave turned charioteer with a respectable career that began at the age of twelve. He was granted his manumission over a decade ago and as the last descendant of his mother's Etruscan line, became the inheritor and custodian of the gens Carisia.

He has been recently appointed by Caesar Alexander as the leader of the blue faction for Rome's chariot scene. As a past recipient of the emperor's benevolent magnanimity and the faithful spouse of Caesar's illegitimate daughter, this would hardly be an offer he could refuse. In an effort to maintain the prestige of the imperial family through their connections and patronage of his faction, Manius will do whatever it takes to maintain the preeminence of the blue team.

Looking for:

• Friends/Allies Manius is very loyal and steadfast friend. Relatively famous, fairly wealthy and possessing minor social/political connections, Manius could make a potentially valuable ally/pawn. As a former slave and despite his advanced social status, Manius holds a degree of disdain for those who believe themselves superior to others, but also acknowledges the precariousness of his own position.
  • Enemies/Rivals Manius masks a paranoid and dangerous, even deadly personality; any threats to the security of his family, his prestige, or his faction will invoke these characteristics. Other charioteers need not apply, 'tis a given. 😜 Even as a member of the equestrian class, Manius carries the stain of infamia to his dignitas that most slaves, freedman and occupants of similar professions are forced to bear; as a result, he is not particularly hesitant about staining it further, should the benefits outweigh the costs.
  • Blue Faction Members  Wanted Page Here – Open to all potential ideas.
Edited by Polarity
  • Like 1

Hey @Polarity

When I am free I think we could work out some plots and get them in motion. I have the following characters who I think could be a lot of fun. 

• Claudia Caesaris - Caesar's niece and recently became more involved in horses, riding, etc. 
  • Alaric Aetius Stilicho - He owns a horse farm. So there is a chance that Manius could come out to see the horses and see how that goes. 

I can't think of any others off the top of my head but I thought I would put these two out there. 🙂

• Like 1

I have one character who would be incredibly interested in speaking with Manius. 

Titus is an ambitious man who holds the Imperial contract for one of the Ludii. So, there is that they could bond with, although in particular I would be interested in how another element would go. He is also the leader of the Wolves of Rome who dabble in rigging the games and the races for a favourable outcome. Titus tends to be quite hands off when it comes to dealing with the gang. However, it would be quite juicy if they met somewhere and had a bit of a passive aggressive tiff in fine company, and see how things would go down the road? 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'm certainly interested and have sent both of you PMs with my initial thoughts. Will hopefully get some more expanded ideas to you soon as well.

• Like 1

Update!

Character(s) added:

• Ambrosius, formerly known as Turi and the younger brother of Charis.

Not quite sure where this might lead, but my character Clio is the body slave of the Ludus Dacicus' mistress. She wouldn't be in the gladiator's quarters much, or actually ever, but her domina enjoys watching the men train and fight and so Clio is essentially made to watch too. She's curious and yet to meet a Briton, so Ambrosius would be interesting to her on account of that alone.

• Like 1

Hey @Liv, thanks for the interest. I'd certainly be interested in a thread between Ambrosius and Clio. We slaves need all the friends we can get. 😉

My ideas for their initial encounter are:

• A back-in-time thread around July (shortly after he arrives at the Ludus), perhaps having gotten lost on the grounds of the ludus and needs some simple directional assistance, giving a brief window to become acquainted.
  • Either a back-in-time or IC thread where Clio might witness a conflict or scuffle between Ambrosius and some of the more senior gladiators, during a break in training (and an absent instructor) that she might be able to intervene in (being a more favoured slave).
  • Finally, it could an IC thread where Ambrosius might be returning to the gladiator's quarters, from the villa, after having met with Titus. Being some time after his arrival, he might be considered less of a flight risk at this point and allowed to take this route alone, giving  them a rare opportunity to speak (perhaps having noticed one another several times before, during training).

Those are my first thoughts, but I'll consider some other possibilities. Let me know if any of those ideas appeal and I'll start working on a draft OP.

Edited by Polarity
  • Like 1

All of those sound wonderful, to be fair, but I'm leaning more towards the third or second option. The second would likely lead to Ambrosius being teased to death by the other gladiators 😁 which is always fun, but your third suggestion would probably be best for talking more or less openly, or as openly as slaves can, anyway. So maybe the third one, if you're feeling it?

• Like 1

Ambrosius has a family history of capable women and could probably endure a degree of emasculation in the eyes of the other gladiators. I've made him slightly prone to foolishly antagonising his superiors, which could give context to that situation. It could be an idea for a later thread though.

I'll start working on an OP using the third idea for now. I'll send you a PM when I've finished the draft to make sure the introduction is good with you.

• Like 1