Sign in to follow this  
Thessala

Words of encouragement

She should probably listen to Thessala; she was the experienced one here. But Thessala had too much confidence and she seemed to think that her way was the only right way, no matter if you talked about fighting or performance or anything. She’d been impressed by Rana once, it seemed, but now she talked about the name again. A name was important. It said a lot about the person wearing the name; who they were, their history, where they came from. If she was no longer Rana… then the new name would just be a façade, it wouldn’t be real.

Thessala was upset again though, it seemed to Rana. She just wanted a name-change because she decided it should be so.

“If it no matter to you, you care a lot.” Rana replied, moving closer to her again, “If it is that important, maybe I will change name. Even if it feel… strange.” She added and looked up at the seats of the empty arena again. She’d be fighting here soon. As someone not Rana. It really was strange. Thessala didn’t seem to grasp that.

“Did you pick your name?” She then wondered, because she honestly didn’t think Thessala could see this from her point of view. Someone else named Thessala… either their master or a former one. But she wanted to be the one to re-name Rana. And sure Rana once had another name, but even this current name was given to her by family, by her own brother, even if it was because he was angry. It wasn't the same with the new name, Protea.

@Chevi

• Like 1

The arena always felt different when the seats were empty. It felt vast, an entire universe onto itself. A world they got tossed into and now had to survive in, by fighting each other, and by catering to the whims of thousands of people in the audience.

Thessala loved it.

“If it no matter to you, you care a lot. If it is that important, maybe I will change name. Even if it feel… strange.” 

Thessala shrugged. She'd done her part in the whole process, whether Rana changer her name to something else, or didn't change it at all, was up to her now. There was no reason to get attached to anyone at the Ludus anyway, not until they have survived a few games at least...

“Did you pick your name?” 

"I did" Thessala nodded "No one cared who I was or where I was from, and they wouldn't know a Thessalian if she bit them in the ass, so I decided to be something interesting..."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Rana enjoyed the fighting too – and she wanted to learn and she wanted to be good, so she worked hard to gain some muscle and be both stronger and faster, so that she could take on her opponents in the arena and for the big games. But it wasn’t just about that, according to Thessala and she wanted Rana to change her name.

Of course she wondered if Thessala got to pick her own name, although she didn’t think so. Yet when Thessala then explained it, it seemed that she did pick it. She had just decided to be something interesting. Well… good for her.

“You always know what to do.” Rana replied. She was used to just go with the flow, wake up every day and see it as an indeed new day with new opportunities and experiences and she didn’t plan ahead. She just lived from one moment to the next. Thessala clearly didn’t. Thessala had it all under her control and nothing happened that she didn’t already plan. Or so it seemed.

“Should we go back to ludus? Or you want stay here more?” She kind of wished she could be more like Thessala, but it just wasn’t in her nature. It was very few things she planned. And when she did plan something, it didn’t go according to plan. Like when she ran away and her brother caught her anyway. And now she was here.

@Chevi