Special Treatment

Atrice

Charis listened to his list of activities with boredom although she didn't show it. Rome all looked the same to her; enormous great buildings, bright colours and a dizzying amount of people. She wasn't sure the Porticus Liviae or one of his temples was going to change it. But then he asked a question and she glanced up, a little surprised he was taking any interest in her. "Yes, but my Gods similar to yours I think." She replied with a little shrug. She'd taken the time to learn a little bit about them from the lararium in the domus, but didn't find them particularly interesting. "Mine just like nature more than yours." She smiled a little, soothed at the thought of praying in the open air, even if the garden at the domus was having to suffice for now. 

His joke - at least she hoped it was a joke - caught her off guard and she blinked for a moment before looking up at his face and seeing his smile, grinned herself. She'd rarely seen him in a mood as good as this and she wasn't going to sour it. Instead, she continued with playfulness of her own; "You might be buying me nice clothes to get good price, you're taking me to market to sell probably." She rolled her eyes, jesting. From what she gathered she should appreciate how lucky she was; a chalk-foot slave with no discernible skills and a poor grasp of Latin (initially) to wind up as a house slave. She understood most of her contemporaries in the cages at the slave market had been sent to the mines, ludus' and the pretty women to the brothels. The Gods must have been smiling on her the day they brought Tertius into her life, no matter her present feelings for him. It could be much, much worse after all.

Still with a light smile on her face and feeling more relaxed, she drew to a stop in one of the quieter streets. He wanted her to enjoy the day and so she chanced; "Domine, can we...not go to temple?" She winced, hoping he wouldn't take offence. He had asked her to enjoy herself! "I...would like to see quieter areas, country, nature, green. If you will it, of course." She added the latter for good measure. 

TAG: @Atrice

Edited by Sara
  • Like 1

As he had assumed, she still worshipped her own, barbarian gods – although she claimed they were similar to the Roman gods, they just liked nature more. Tertius arched a brow, that was kind of a strange comment, “I don’t know if any gods like nature more than others. But as I recall, they didn’t have temples like ours in Gaul, so probably not in Britannia either? You worship them in nature?” He suggested, because many of the Roman gods were deities that had something to do with nature and explained all kinds of phenomenon you’d find in the wild. Weather and forests and the sea… everything had a god or some other kind of deity assigned to it. But in northern Gaul they didn’t build temples. They had strange stone-circles and wooden sacred buildings. They wouldn’t stand forever, like those in Rome.

It was kind of odd to discuss gods with a slave, but it was actually interesting to hear how she did it. Even if he still thought or hoped that she would adjust to Rome and the gods Tertius believed in. It was more right… this was how he was raised.

Next she’d wondered where they were going next and he joked about it being somewhere horrible, and she returned the joke, “Maybe I am?” He suggested with a wink, but then shook his head, “Or maybe not… I’d not spend so much on a slave I’d want to get rid of. As I said, I am quite pleased with you now. You’ve done well so far.” He said to her with a smile, he’d said it before but did she understand it? He was pleased with her. She had been a good slave and this day was indeed his reward to her – his way of spoiling her. She did seem to understand, actually, as she next suggested they didn’t go to the temple. She wanted to see a more quiet and green area.

“Well we’re not leaving Rome today.” He pointed out to her, “But we do have several gardens in Rome…” He trailed off, recalling that she knew one, because that’s where she met Helios and spilled her opinion of Tertius to him. Hopefully that opinion had improved now! If that wasn’t the case, she was doing a good job of not letting him know… “It’s only a question of which public garden we should go to. The one you’re familiar with, perhaps?”

@Sara

• Like 1

She shook her head, "Some temples but not many - not like in Rome. I lived near the woods, trees are important to us...so when I want to speak to them." She blushed a little, did this sound ridiculous to him? "I'd go out alone and pray and make an offering, but we had standing stones and our tribal leaders would visit druids if we needed something important." Did any of what she said make sense to him? She doubted it, and it baffled her. Her way of respecting her Gods seemed so...natural. Whereas in Rome everything was so closeted, so stuffy. How could you talk to your Gods if you were encased in a great stone building? Still, she said no more on it not wishing to raise his ire by pointing out their differences. 

Relieved that they were not heading to the slave market she only bobbed her head in silent acknowledgement that she was 'doing better'. By shutting up and staying out of the way largely. But she couldn't help the disappointment on her face at his assertion that they'd be staying in Rome. She suspected as much but she was itching to see what lay beyond. The journey here was a hazy memory to her - she had been ill after the miscarriage for some weeks and had wound up in the city so tired and confused she could remember almost nothing of the weeks spent travelling across Gaul. Quietly, she asked; "But we can leave Rome one day, domine?" There was a little hope in her voice. He really had no idea how important it was to her to get out of the business of the city, did he?

But his mention of the gardens made her blush and she dropped her face, biting her lip. Shit Erea! Why did you have to remind him of that! He seemed to be enjoying toying with her, and she resolutely shook her head but her voice was quiet; "No. No...Not that one," She winced and glanced to the side as people made their way around the stopped slave and master. "But I heard from others that Gardens of Sallust is nice?" You liar, you were there two days ago..."Do you know it, domine?" She asked innocently enough, not realising that was where he had met his liaison all those months prior. 

• Like 1

Tertius listened quietly while Charis explained how they worshipped their gods in Britannia and how the trees were important and you’d speak to them. Speak to a tree? It sounded almost laughable, but he knew the matter of belief and faith was not one people liked that you laughed about. And he didn’t want to offend her beliefs. Instead he let her continue and she spoke of standing stones and druids. Tertius nodded, “Sounds like what they did in Northern Gaul and Germania. They had these odd stone circles too. And little wooden houses that were sanctuaries, I think?” He looked at her, unsure if it was true, “They also had what you call druids. Wise men, but mostly women, who also performed rituals. I think they called them volva.” Tertius explained to her, that’s what he knew anyway. He didn’t know the rituals and he’d never seen it. He just heard about it. It was odd to be discussing religion with a slave, but he also felt he got to know her better now. And that wasn’t bad at all, since he now began to imagine spending even more time with her.

She seemed disappointed when he told her they weren’t leaving the city today, but then she wanted to leave Rome one day, “Maybe. I do have a villa in the countryside.” Tertius said and looked at her, “Rome is a very big city… the largest in the world, as far as I know. You don’t just get up and leave Rome without planning it. And I didn’t plan for it today.” He added, hoping she understood that. It would require a carriage or wagon of sorts, they would have to pack things and might even spend the night if they went to the villa.

He suggested they went to some of the gardens in Rome, then recalled she knew them and wondered if they should go to the garden she knew. She shook her head quite resolutely then and asked to not go to that garden. He arched a brow, that was an interesting reaction. Then she suggested another place, the Gardens of Sullust and wondered if he knew it, “I know it… very beautiful gardens.” There were fountains, statues, a temple and there were plenty of secret little corners for lovers, “Let’s go there then.” And he would lead the way to take her to the garden, unaware that she already knew it.

@Sara

• Like 1

The maybe disappointed her, but she resolved to work on it. For now, however, she just shrugged with a little smile; "I understand. But I like to see your villa, one day domine." But how to convince him? Maybe she'd mention it to Antonia. From what she'd seen Tertius was virtually powerless over the whims of his sweet - but admittedly spoiled daughter, and if she was the one asking for a visit rather than Charis? Well, that might just convince him. 

At least he agreed to her second suggestion, and she smiled genuinely and nodded. The Gardens were beautiful and mercifully fairly shaded. Walking next to him - a route she'd done only a few days prior, she considered her next question. Not to be put off by the fact that he seemed completely uninterested in learning any more about her, she flitted through appropriate (and decidedly inappropriate) questions in her mind until she found one she was satisfied with. 

"Next question, domine." She said with all the confidence of somebody far above her station - but he hadn't seemed (thus far) put off by her irreverent choice of conversation, and so continued; "Do you want to be pr-" She stumbled over the word, "Praetor forever?" From what she'd gleaned from others, Senators in Rome had a series of ranks they tried to attain. Knowing how ambitious he was and where his future choices might take the household would be helpful. It had either been that question, or the far more personal; 'why don't you have another wife?' but she decided to save that. She didn't want to spoil the day. 

• Like 1

She didn’t seem to grasp how much planning went into going to the villa. She smiled though and said she understood and that she’d like to see his villa one day. He just nodded, “I’ll try to remember that.” It wasn’t all that often they went to the villa, usually there was plenty to do here in Rome, so they didn’t have time to go and stay in the smaller villa and take a look at the fields and the olive trees.

They were moving towards the gardens of Sullust now and Charis came with him easily and then of course she had another question for him. She was just full of questions and even if she already asked a few, he couldn’t help but being surprised that she kept going with them. Perhaps it was enough of that, soon. And this time she wondered if he’d be a praetor forever. Tertius gave her a surprised look, that she even took interest in such matters was different!

“I don’t know… perhaps. It’s a quite nice job and I’m very experienced at it now.” Tertius said, he’d been a praetor for over ten years now. On top of that, praetors were highly valued and it was one of the highest ranks you could have as a Senator. And although he never did it, they could even direct a debate in the Senate, “I don’t pursue a military career, after all. So else I might be a propraetor, but I do enjoy what I’m doing now.” He explained, thinking it must bore her, but maybe it didn’t, since she asked. Still though, it wasn’t like her question changed anything for her… “You shouldn’t worry about such things though. All you need to think about is doing your job well. Or jobs… since you have more than one task now. I expect I’ll be seeing more of you in the garden, now that your face has healed. Antonia has been asking for you too, so it’s good you’re easy on the eyes once more.” Tertius said to her. She really was. Too easy on the eyes, almost. He couldn’t forget that night they spent together, even if she hadn’t seemed to enjoy it much. But he’d enjoyed it. And he was quite sure it would happen again. Now he looked up, as they seemed to be approaching one of the entrances to the gardens.

@Sara

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1

So not too ambitious then, even if she didn't know what a propraetor was, it didn't sound like he was particularly enthused by the idea. The lack of military career was interesting too. Did he not have the skills? Or was it a lack of interest? Either way that was probably to her betterment, she didn't want a military man as her domine. a judge was bad enough. She was about to speak, and started saying; "That's inter-" before he interrupted to say she shouldn't worry. 

She closed her mouth and looked straight ahead but felt the prickle of irritation run through her. No need to worry Erea, this isn't for your pretty little head to worry about. It's just your life, no need to think about it. 

The mention of Antonia piqued her attention though, although she pointedly ignored his compliment (was it a compliment?) and instead smiled lightly. "I looking forward to seeing her again." it had been weeks and the little girl had lightened up her afternoons in the garden. "Before," She waved a hand to her face, referencing the faded injuries; "She ask me to take her to baths, I think..." She sighed trying to frame it carefully, "She like more female company." She glanced up at him. Most of the other women in the house indulged her, Rhoda let her lick the bowl when she made cakes - Jocasta gave her the best linens for her bed, and listened to her talk on and on over her friends, but she remembered being that age and how she craved her mother. It must be hard for her, she wondered if Tertius saw that. 

As they made their way into the garden, her smile widened into a deep grin. It was a beautiful as it was that day she met Helenus and she looked up, marvelling in it. "Pretty." She breathed. Not looking at him, and instead focusing on their surroundings she asked - as if she was having a conversation with a friend or equal, rather than her owner; "Do you want to sit or walk around?"

• Like 1

Tertius was fine in his high and elevated position as Praetor – it was one of the highest in the Senate, with the next rank being Consul and he didn’t plan on going that far. Tertius was really fine in his current job and being a judge was interesting. He got to meet people from all layers of society in Rome and he got to be the one judging what was right and wrong. He made sure people would know the law and would come to him so they wouldn’t have issues again. It was a fine and highly valued job. Why should he want to be Consul? He never had such a desire.

He didn’t know why Charis would ask though and told her to not worry. It was a bit odd to discuss such matters with a slave and especially a female one. Women usually never took much interest in politics or the course of honor, that the men followed. Instead he turned back to the topic of her different jobs in the house and how he thought she was ready to return to the garden. Antonia had indeed been wondering why she didn’t really see Charis and she’d even asked if he sold her – even if she knew her father rarely sold his slaves at all.

Charis said she looked forwards to seeing Antonia again and then mentioned his daughter had wanted to go to the baths with Charis. He nodded with a small sigh when she mentioned how Antonia liked the female company, “Yes… I know. She’s growing up so fast and… maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea if you went with her to the thermae. Show her around and show her what to do and where to go. She needs to learn. And I can’t take her.” The men and the women weren’t together in the thermae, after all. Not officially anyway and Tertius certainly couldn’t be the one to show Antonia the thermae. She never had a mother or anyone to show her those things, but if Charis was willing to be her chaperone, maybe…

They entered the garden then and Charis seemed thrilled and said it was pretty and wondered what they should do, “Let’s walk around a bit. I know a few good spots where we won’t be disturbed.” Tertius said. Charis might come here for the simple beauty of the gardens but Tertius had come here for other purposes before. The gardens were a perfect place to meet up secretly, after all. Tertius had never brought prostitutes into his home and he also didn’t go to the brothels, but the gardens… now that was different. And he couldn't help but consider how it would be like to spend a little time alone with Charis here.

@Sara

• Like 1

She glanced up at him with a sympathetic look as he talked of Antonia and nodded at his agreement she could attend the thermae with Antonia, although Gods she'd have to ask somebody what to do as a slave in the baths. She'd only been for recreation rather than working and had no real idea about what she'd be expected to do. "I be happy to domine." She smiled softly, showing her dimples. "Shall I tell her when I see her later, if you approve?" Because ultimately it was his decision. 

At his instruction that they should walk around she nodded and followed next to him. The landscape was beautiful and fortunately the gardens were fairly quiet. A few slaves tended to the flowers and a young pair of boys played in a nearby fountain but besides that they were alone. 

Looking up at him cautiously, just for a brief moment before she dropped her eyes, she decided against further questions. The way he had turned her last one into a sly almost...remonstration about her jobs made her be cautious and he seemed to be mulling something over and so instead she just walked in silence for a moment, enjoying the scenery and the smell of the flowers in the early evening sun. But soon the silence began gnawing at her and she felt the urge to say something, anything and asked - cautiously; "What...would you like to talk about domine? Or you prefer me to be quiet?"

• Like 1

Of course he felt a little bad that he’d never found a new wife – so Antonia never really had a mother. She didn’t have any female siblings either, so there were no one to show her the ropes when it came to all things that had to do with women. Maybe it was a good idea that Charis would show Antonia the baths and if she was really good with Antonia, Tertius thought she could maybe become his daughter’s future body slave. Although then the garden wouldn’t look so good anymore. It was something to consider though, “Yes, you can tell her that later. You can take her there tomorrow if you’d like.” Although he might send a guard with the girls, to wait for them outside the thermae, because he didn’t trust a 9 year old and a petite slave who’d already been attacked once, to not get in trouble in Rome.

They walked around in silence for a little while then, admiring the gardens and he inhaled the air that somehow seemed more fresh in the garden. Maybe it was all the plants and trees, they seemed to clear the air here. Rome could be a very dirty place to walk around, but here, it was beautiful and clean.

He was walking towards a place where he knew there was a quiet bench hidden between some bushes. The more time he spent with Charis, the more he wanted her to sit in his lap and the more he wanted to touch her and be close to her. Charis interrupted the silence then, wondering if he wanted to talk or to be quiet.

“I don’t know if there’s anything I wish to talk about here. Just… enjoy the place. Do you want to talk?” He wondered and turned around a corner on the path and down a more narrow one, towards that secret hidden place. He could see the stone bench up ahead now, almost surrounded by the hedging. Tertius walked in front of Charis and sat down on the bench and waited for her.

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis smiled to herself and inclined her head to him as he agreed. “Thank you domine, I happy to take her tomorrow.” But first she’d need to brush on what would be expected of her. Maybe she’d ask Teutus. Not that the young man had ever gone with her to the thermae, but he had a better sense of Antonia’s temperament than her, and what she’d need to do. 

She followed him dutifully, in silence, as they walked along the paths. It really was beautiful. Still, she was glad she asked the question even if she was disappointed with the response. There was nothing in the world he’d like to speak about? As he asked her she sighed and shook her head. He evidently wasn’t in the mood to be interrogated anymore. “No, domine. I can enjoy it in quiet.” Even if she’d rather give him the third degree, she new better than to push him. 

She was distracted as she took in the scenery that she didn’t notice him veer off, for a moment. Blinking that he was no longer next to her, she lengthens her stride to catch up with him as he withdrew into an enclave of headerows. She glanced around with an arched brow. What on earth was the point in taking her see the gardens just to sit in the shadows, completely enclosed? Ah. That was why. As he moved to sit she hesitated for a moment. They were completely isolated here...some treat! Quickly she moved to sit next to him and offered with a quirk of her eyebrow and an amused smirk, trying to diffuse the tension, “...Beautiful views here domine...” Of...hedgerows.

• Like 1

So Charis would show Antonia the baths and give her a little woman-time. That would be good for Antonia, he thought, and Charis was sweet and caring towards his daughter as far as he knew, so they would be fine together. He just hoped they would be safe. The more he thought about it, the more it suddenly worried him. Charis was attacked once and she had only just seemed recover and now he’d send her out on her own, with his daughter. But it would be in the day, he’d send a guard. Surely they would be fine. As long as the capsarii then didn’t steal their stuff, all should be well.

They had walked a bit in silence when Charis wondered if they should talk or be quiet, but right now he didn’t have anything to discuss with her. And while he before was surprised by all her questions, now she suddenly agreed to be quiet instead… no more questions? Well that was alright, she was almost too curious. On the other hand, it was nice to talk to someone. Charis was really useful for a lot of things. One of those things were her prettiness and he turned down a narrow path between bushes and found a stone bench there, as expected. Here he sat and watched Charis look around for a moment, before she went to sit next to him and commented on the views… with a smirk and arching her brow. Tertius looked at her, picked up a strand of her hair and pushed it behind her ear, “Indeed, I think so too.” But he wasn’t looking at their surroundings, he was looking at her. 

“Charis… I have enjoyed this day until now, with you. It is… stimulating to be out with you, away from everything at home, just the two of us.” He said to her. He had her all to himself here. No fear of anyone like Teutus or Hector walking in on them, it was just Tertius and Charis in a hidden corner of the gardens here. He had to control himself to be patient; this day was no punishment for her, it was a reward. But she had been very obedient today and very compliant too. And she hadn’t seemed as tense as she often did. Quite the opposite, it seemed as if she liked being out on her own with Tertius too. And she even said she'd like to be an expensive slave. Tertius didn't spend a lot of coin on just any slave in the household. But if he was going to spoil her, he did expect something in return. He didn't tell her that just yet though, didn't want to go too fast, “It seems you have enjoyed it so far too, haven’t you?”

@Sara

• Like 1

She could feel his eyes on her, but kept her eyes down, staring at her lap. Gods she hated this. If this happened at home, as it sometimes did with over eager legionaries, she'd snap at them to keep their eyes or their gawping to themselves. Unfortunately she no longer had the luxury of freedom (and even back then, she was testing the limits of it). As he moved his fingers to brush away her hair she glanced across to him but didn't turn up her face - keeping her eyes on his other hand in his lap. She didn't say anything to his comment, only flushed a little bit (out of embarrassment rather than pleasure at his compliment, not that he'd realise the difference). 

As he spoke again she kept her eyes down at his hands but grit her jaw. Stimulating? Gods in what way?! She stayed quiet again but nodded a little. In truth the day had been fine, pleasant even - it was useful to get to understand him a little more, and she'd been enjoying herself up until they'd taken their little detour into this completely  secluded little area. She felt on edge, nervous and tried not to show it but the flush on her cheeks hadn't gone down completely and she pointedly kept her eyes lowered. 

When he asked her the question she finally snapped her eyes up - a habit she hadn't lost - to his face and then immediately lowered them again. "I have domine." She said confidently, "Thank you...for answering my questions, and for fabric and letting me come here." And right now that was all she was thankful for. She didn't appreciate the way he looked at her, but she tried to shake the thought from her mind; she hadn't done anything wrong. He couldn't rightly...punish her like that again, could he? Still, better to err on the side of caution and get out of here, and asked; "Maybe we should walk around domine?"

When he indirectly called her beautiful, he saw her blush, as he put the hair behind her ear. Well she was, wasn’t she? And then he continued to say how he’d enjoyed the day and searched for just a moment for the right word. Stimulating, that’s one word for it, he thought. She kept her eyes down until he wondered how her day had been and if she had enjoyed it. And she glanced up shortly, before she said that she had enjoyed it and thanked him for everything so far. Tertius enjoyed how well-behaved she’d become, thanking him for spoiling her like this and taking her here, where she wanted to go.

“You’re welcome. It has been a pleasure so far.” Tertius just confirmed and then she suddenly wondered if they should walk around. Why would she want that? They had just come here and there was a reason for that.

“We’ve walked plenty today so far, I think. And I wanted to take you here, to be alone with you. I know you value that.” Tertius then said, “It seems to me, that you don’t mind me spoiling you. Or standing up for you.” He said, thinking about the little incident in the fabric shop, “You also said you’d not mind being an expensive slave. And I am actually considering that.” Tertius watched her intently, to try and spy her reaction, “Of course, that’ll mean a few changes at home.” Like the fact that Hector would need a second bed somewhere, if Tertius wanted to keep his very obedient slave… and he did, he just also wanted Charis, “All I need to hear is that you want it. Or maybe… they say actions speak louder than words, Charis.” She’d been so good all day, she wouldn’t turn and change her mind now, right?

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis listened to him with a growing feeling of dread beginning in her stomach, rising to tighten her chest. She had been joking, about being 'expensive' and Gods now he was using that against her! She said nothing and kept her face firmly down, but the muscles in her jaw tightened and she swallowed the lump in her throat but her mouth felt as dry as sand. She blinked rapidly, trying to find a clever way to counter him but then the 'that'll mean a few changes at home' came and she parted her lips to breathe more deeply.

Oh Gods Erea, what have you done! Had she led him on? Inadvertently? She hadn't thought so, she had been doing as she was bidden - which in retrospect was what he liked, but that time he bedded her he had done so as a punishment and she had assumed, naively, stupidly, if she behaved then it wouldn't happen again. He would't have a reason to. Stupid, foolish girl!

"I..." Her voice was a little hoarse, and she glanced across to his lap, his hands, his chest, but kept her eyes well clear of his face. She didn't want this. She didn't want to do anything to show she did. But what choice was she left with? 

Hesitantly, she moved a little so her body was facing his even as they sat on the quiet stone bench, far, far removed from anybody else in the gardens. "I want to be good slave." She finally said and nervously moved to push more loose wisps of hair behind her ear, "And I...thought I have been good slave," She swallowed, "Give you no need to punish me, again.She hoped he understood  her meaning, although really it was clear as day; why are you making me do this, when I've been exactly what you want? She could refuse him, she supposed. Say no. But the first time was uncomfortable enough and she didn't want to be forced, at least not so...physically. She felt like a coward, as she'd described to Cynane. She didn't want to, but she was going along with it, doing as he bid her because she was scared. But she was no warrior - and even if she was, it would only be worse in the long term, wouldn't it? 

Gently, she moved a hand to rest on his; "I will do what you want me to do." But the intonation was firm in her words, as was the second, unspoken part; but I do not want to.

• Like 1

He assumed her reaction was because she was surprised by his offer to be his ‘expensive slave’ as he’d put it in this case. She had blinked, she glanced up at his body although not his eyes and she tried to speak but stumbled over her words first. It must be surprise, he thought. Charis then shifted to face him and said she wanted to be a good slave and she thought she had been good. Why wouldn’t she think that? And then she added how she hoped he had no need to punish her. Punish her? Why? Tertius listened quietly, while she now put her hand on his and said she’d do what he wanted her to do.

Tertius sighed a little, apparently she had misunderstood this whole thing. She thought that his offer to her now would be a punishment and not a reward. But it was not mean to be a punishment. Becoming his lover, his… courtesan, of sorts, that was certainly no punishment. And her position wouldn’t be like Hectors, she would not be his body slave and there to help him dress and do all those things and stand by his side all the time. What he wanted from her, except for what she already did and what they already discussed… was just her. Tertius brought her hand to his lips and gently kissed it. He looked at her face then and with his free hand he touched her chin again, to make her look up at him, just like he did earlier today.

“This is no punishment, Charis. You have been a very good slave lately. You’ve done everything I have asked of you. And that is partly the reason why I’ll make these changes for you.” Tertius said, “That I desire you is no punishment. Not in this case. It won’t be like it was… back then. Not at all…” Tertius continued. He thought she wanted it. She’d given him so many reasons to believe she liked him and liked his company. Was she disgusted by him? He let go of her chin again, but softly, leaving it up to her whether she’d look at him or cast her eyes down again, “It will be different, now.” He didn’t want to have to force it on her – he didn’t want it to feel like punishment for her - but he just didn’t see why she wouldn’t want this… not when she so far gave him so many reasons to think the opposite.  Please say you want it… was she just playing hard to get?

@Sara

• Like 1

She didn't try and stop him as he reached up to leave a gentle kiss on her hand. It was tender, almost, and confused her. She'd done similar with her husband in moments of intimacy, and the longer she stayed here the more...intimate it seemed. It sounded bizarre, especially given they'd already bedded, but she had never seen him so unguarded; she'd been oblivious to her effect on him up until now. It hit her like a house falling down, that she could have such power over somebody just by her words and her looks. 

She was so lost in her own thoughts she failed to see his hand move to touch her chin until it brushed her skin and she was forced to look up and meet his eyes. She wanted to look away but willed herself to be strong and met his brilliantly blue eyes with a concerned, but defiant gaze. She had to concentrate on his words as he spoke, she was so lost in her own head. Not a punishment? Did he hear himself? She kept her eyes on him even as he dropped his hand but her eyes tightened and her lips parted as if she was about to say something. She wanted to say; 'Do I really have a choice?' but didn't, she didn't want to provoke an argument. Was he genuinely so deluded that he'd think a woman he forced to bed, as punishment, who cried after he'd forced her, would desire him so ardently that she'd agree with reckless abandon, to become his lover? Was he that naive? But on the other hand, she supposed, she hadn't considered that he would give her a choice. The way he spoke, the way he seemed to be waiting for her reply on baited breath confused her. It was different to the first time. It seemed different, even, to his relationship with Hector where he just seemed to expect sex as a given. Here it was is if he envisaged a...relationship, and was asking her permission (even if ultimately her answer either way was ignored). Was she that fascinating to him? 

She felt the conflict rage in her chest like a war and was quiet for some time. On one hand she wanted to say no, and push him away. She wanted him to understand that she didn't want him, that she'd never want him. On the other hand, she was scared of him. Despite the fearsome reputations Briton's held, she was still just a young woman sat across from the man who held her life and her death in his hand. She wanted to live, and thrive; she wanted the opportunities to find her brother and sister, she wanted to be free. None of that would happen if she defied him, if he hated her. You're going to prostitute yourself, Erea, to a man that would rape you? To a man that would happily see your countrymen wiped out? She heard her husband scream in her head, chastising her. But Immin wasn't here, and she was alone. She had nobody but herself anymore. 

With a deep inhale she finally moved one of her hands, trembling lightly, to cup his cheek - her thumb tracing the sweeping arch of his cheekbone as she looked at him. "It will be different now." She said firmly, decisively, after some delay. She needed him to understand that she would not whore herself out for nothing. And with that, she fluttered her eyes shut and lent in to kiss him. 

• Like 1

It was all a matter of perspective and they did not see this from the same side – or the other’s side, either. Tertius knew what he knew and saw what he saw (and wanted what he wanted) and Charis was on the other side. Tertius definitely believed she had made tiny little hints that she wanted this positon and therefore, wanted him, in her own way. And he did not see the punishment he gave her a good while ago, the same way she did. Charis was his slave. He had every right to touch her and bed her if that’s what he wanted to do. Sure he did it as punishment last time, but according to what he’d been taught as he grew up and as a noble Roman, sleeping with a slave was not the same as rape. She was his, after all – his property. How could you violate something that was already yours to have? He knew of course she hadn’t enjoyed it, but that was kind of the point and yet, it shouldn’t matter in the long run. Not the way he saw it. That incident had (hopefully) been a one-time thing and she’d learned her lesson and they had clearly moved on since then. Or so he thought.

Now however, he had to explain to her that the thoughts he had now had nothing to do with punishment. To be wanted by your master was no punishment and in this case, it might actually only be good for her, if she would let him have this power over her. If she would give into him, then it was almost certain he’d give a lot back. But she had to give in first… she had to. Their eyes had met and she didn’t try to look away while he spoke, but he could see she was thinking hard. Maybe she would deny him. Maybe she’d say she did not want it – but that would be a problem, because he still wanted her. To him, she was still so refreshing, almost pure and also so beautiful and delicate that he couldn’t help but desire her.

It probably didn’t take a long time, but it felt like it, while he almost held his breath, waiting for her answer. He had almost promised her that it would be different this time. Not like ‘back then’, no, it wouldn’t be like that. And wasn’t he already being very kind to her, today? Had that not proven to her that he had moved on since the punishment and since she spoke behind his back. Tertius thought so.

Finally she touched his cheek with a trembling hand, confirming it would be different now and then she leaned closer to kiss him. Tertius returned the kiss, of course, see this was what he meant when he said actions spoke louder than words. She could say she wanted it. But he wanted to feel it, he wanted her to show him… and now he did. And gods, her lips were still as soft and warm and sweet as last time. Tertius’ one hand found her thigh, as they sat there, still next to each other on the stone bench. It wasn’t a passionate kiss, but it lingered and then it finally broke, “It will be different.” He promised again, “Gods, Charis… you’re a temptress…” He wanted more, more of her lips and more of her. Tertius was almost tempted to have her right here, on this bench… but on the other hand, the bed at home was still more comfortable. Maybe just one more kiss? His hand on her thigh slid around her back, pulling her closer and without asking this time, Tertius kissed her once more, this time clearly more intensely. He wasn't sure if he wanted it to stop very soon.

@Sara

• Like 1

He returned the kiss as expected and she kept her hand on his cheek. She tried not to think about who she was kissing, about who she was letting have her, but every now and again the image of last time floated into her thoughts and she had to try very hard not to push him away. The hand on her thigh didn't help much, but she allowed it. She repeated her mantra over and over again in her mind; that this was necessary, that this would help her survive in this cruel, difficult world. It didn't do much to assuage her guilt though. When the kiss broke she pulled back, a little breathless, cheeks flushed from the intimacy. That last time they hadn't kissed, not really. This was different, not that she felt less like a whore for it. 

A temptress? She'd never been called that before, but she offered a slight, embarrassed smile and moved to speak again but before she could he wrapped his hand around her and pulled her into a deeper kiss. 

She sunk into it with equal passion, imagining it was a different man, her man, in a different time. She had no idea of his intentions; whether he wanted her on this bench in the middle of the gardens, but as the sun was sinking lower into the horizon she supposed the darkness and privacy was actually probably more than they'd be afforded at home with Hector and Teutus and oh Gods Antonia, in listening distance. Maybe it would be better to just get it done, get it out of the way before she lost her nerve. She already felt violated, sick with guilt over what she'd chosen and if she left it much longer she didn't know if she could go through with it without protesting. Nimbly, she moved her position so she was sat in his lap before she broke the kiss and looked up at him, breathless and with wide eyes. "Here, domine?"

• Like 1

Charis’ kiss was what he’d hoped for – her way of showing him that she wanted this, so at least it wasn’t just Tertius wanting her. Maybe it was mostly him wanting her and her being the slave who didn’t say no to her master, but she agreed and that was something. And her kiss felt just like what he’d hoped for – and although the first one wasn’t a deep kiss, it was still lingering and when the kiss broke, he could still feel it and he wanted more. He called her a temptress and she sat there with her flushed cheeks and was all breathless. But he barely let her catch her breath, before he pulled her closer and kissed her again. This time more heatedly.

His lips parted as she seemed to return the kiss with the same passion as his and she was indeed a temptress. He’d thought about how he could easily have her right here, but that they might not, they might go back to bed and continue. But the kiss broke and Charis quietly shifted, so that she sat in his lap and looked at him with wide eyes and suggested ‘here’.

“If you can’t wait…” Tertius said with a small smile and placed a kiss on her lips again. He then helped her shift further in his lap, as he had already picture what to do, so that she would straddle him and would be able to ride him. Tertius was larger than her, stronger than her… this would not be an issue, to keep her there. He leaned in for another kiss and opened her chiton on one shoulder, liberating more bare skin and his lips traced over that while he held her close. They were in public, well kind of, but he tried to not rush it too much. Tertius wanted to enjoy this and he hoped she would too. And how could they enjoy it if it was too fast? He would lead whatever they did, but encouraged her to also take initiative. He didn’t want Charis to sit silently and expressionless on his lap this time.

A while later, but not too long a while later, he was spent and gently helped her off his lap to get his own clothing back on properly again – not that he was very undressed, that was the convenient part of this position when they were in public. But gods… she felt so good! Tertius had for so long tried to not sleep with his female slaves and it mostly went quite well, as long as he had a male body slave to satisfy him. But it was just different with a woman, so different, so fulfilling… Tertius reached to help her close the chiton on her shoulder once more, his fingers brushing her flushed and warm skin and he kissed her shoulder, “That was… satisfactory.” Tertius said, still almost breathless, “Do you want to walk here a bit more, now? Or should we go home?”

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis shifted off of him with his assistance and stood on wobbling legs, unsure of what to do with herself. She felt violated, and a little sore, but mostly she felt an overwhelming sense of guilt wash over her. She knew she had to do it, and she had no real choice, but the way she had intimated that she'd enjoyed herself with the sounds of pleasure and movements of her body made her feel nauseous. She glanced away, to the side, as he kissed her bare shoulder and moved nimble fingers up to tie her chiton back together. But as he looked up at her and spoke, she rearranged her features into the sweet, submissive expression that she'd worn all day; no hint of upset or guilt. 

Sat...satisfactory? She couldn't help that her brow furrowed a little and her lips parted. Had she really been that terrible? Her grasp of Latin was much better but some words still eluded her, although she was more than sure that satisfactory just meant...adequate, fine. Nothing special. She knew she wasn't particularly experienced, having only had one man before him, but she had tried - much as it nauseated her. And it had been for nothing. She flushed and awkwardly looked away from his face, speaking quietly. "Satisfactory?" She queried, "I'll...get better." Although without lessons that seemed doubtful, and she was more than positive you couldn't hire a tutor for that. Still, she had to keep focused. She wasn't doing this to enjoy herself, it served a purpose. She'd have to try harder next time. Not that it helped her feel any better, of course.

His question threw her and she glanced around. The gardens still sounded deserted but the sun was seemingly just about to dip beyond the horizon and darkness would follow shortly after. Finally dragging her eyes back to him, although respectfully keeping them from his face she shrugged lightly; "Maybe go home." He had to tell poor Hector, after all. "Or," She considered for a moment, "The baths?" She wanted to wash away this afternoon physically and metaphorically. 

• Like 1

Tertius had been with women before… as a young man and also later of course. But after the incident with having Teutus with a slave, he’d been more careful with the female slaves and since he had already discovered pleasure with men, it was not difficult to just focus more on that. So he had experience with women and he did know how to please them. His wife, however short their marriage was before she died too young, certainly hadn’t seem displeased either. But all they needed to do together was produce an heir for them both, because they were both aware that each preferred to sleep with their own gender. Not that they had anything against the opposite gender, they just had a preference. It would seem though, that Tertius’ preference was suddenly shifting with Charis, for the first time in many years.

She certainly felt good. And it certainly seemed as if she had enjoyed riding him and enjoyed the odd intimacy they had here, on the stone bench away from prying eyes in the garden. Charis seemed a bit unsteady on her legs at first, but she stood and she let him help her with the chiton again. She looked at him sweetly when he’d kissed her shoulder and called their little act satisfactory. But then she flushed and seemed confused and looked way and said she’d get better. Charis didn't think she was doing very well? Well she had pleased him, hadn't she? She'd brought him over the edge and it had been very enjoyable. Tertius smiled, “It wasn’t bad, Charis. Not at all. If it hadn’t been good, I think you’d have guessed it.” He explained, wanting to pull her back into his lap, but wasn’t sure if she wanted that. Suddenly she was a little bit hard to read. So he wondered what she wanted and she suggested going home or to the baths.

“If that is what you prefer.” Tertius said and stood, brushing his tunica down in place and rearranging the toga, while considering a trip to the baths. Not that he liked going there without Hector to watch over his things while he bathed… and Charis might prefer the women’s bath… “We do also have a bath at home, you know. You’re welcome to use it, should you feel the need.” Actually this was a good idea, it would also save her the trouble of having to go the public baths and risk getting attacked. It was a very good idea, he thought and he gave her a smile, “I think that is the best idea. Then we can also see if the fabric arrived for your new chiton.”

@Sara

• Like 1

She still felt awkward. Not bad at all? It was hardly a roaring endorsement. Then again, the way his fingers lingered over her skin as he helped her tie her tunica, and the ache between her legs suggested he was satisfied enough. It was an odd position to be in; she didn't want to be his lover, but necessity had forced her hand and now she was here she wanted to at least be a decent one. Otherwise it was all for nothing. She nodded at his words and added with a little shrug; "I still get better for you, domine. I not..." How to put it delicately? "Most experienced."

Relieved that he seemed to be fine with her suggestion, she slipped on her sandals which had come off, and bent down to pick up her cloak which was creased in a heap underneath the bench. When she stood again, however, he had seemed to change his mind. She knew there was a bath in the domus, although she hadn't seen it. She had been told, fairly early on, that it wasn't for slaves. "I..." She hesitated. She wanted time alone, in a thermae, to cleanse herself. Not to bathe in full view and earshot of her fellow slaves whispering about her disheveled appearance and unkempt hair, knowing what she'd been up to on her little trip out with the dominus. 

But it wasn't her decision to make, like all of her life now, and she nodded. "I grateful, that is generous domine." She said, correcting her earlier hesitation but added with a sly smile as they set off to walk the meandering route back to the domus (still a little unsteady on her feet): "But I give poor Jocasta another job, I have no idea how to sew chiton." At least not one he'd like, she could probably sew a shapeless sack if she put her mind to it. She walked in silence for some minutes, ignoring the throb in between her thighs to the best of her ability. Forgetting herself, and her company, she said quietly - more to herself than him - "I hope Hector not too upset."

• Like 1

Tertius wasn’t disappointed in her skills at all – she had a gorgeous body and it felt good, being with her and inside of her. She had to know that, how else would he get turned on by her so much that he’d have her right here? Still she promised she’d get better and she wasn’t very experienced – which was noticeable, but that didn’t have to be a bad thing either. Wasn’t she being a little hard on herself now? “Well, we’ll have to work on that then.” He said with a little smile and a wink, and then she had wanted to go to the baths before going home… but Tertius thought it over and decided she could bathe at home instead. First she seemed… surprised at the idea?

Yet then she said she was grateful and considered him generous, “I’m glad you think so.” Tertius replied and then they began walking. As he mentioned the fabric for the new chiton, she said she had no idea how to sew it and one of the other house slaves might have to do it, “I’m sure she’ll gladly do it for you. You can’t sew?” That honestly surprised him a bit, he kind of assumed female slaves to be able to sew. On the other hand, her current chiton was already slightly torn and she hadn’t even mended it, so maybe it was true. He could of course have a seamstress do it, like he had with his own and Antonia’s clothes, but it cost more. On the other hand… if Charis liked that he spent coin on spoiling her, she could have a very fine chiton if he did it like that.

While h was thinking about that, Charis suddenly mentioned that she hoped Hector would not be too upset. Tertius looked at her, “Don’t worry about him. I know he’s used to being with me the whole time, but… he’ll just have to get used to something else. I’ll deal with him, don’t worry about it. Just remember to tell me if he gives you any trouble. He’s not above you, Charis. He doesn’t get to tell you what to do.” After all, when it came down to that, Hector was also just a slave. Alright, so maybe his most expensive slave – both when he purchased Hector and afterwards. Hector had been born and bred to become the obedient and devoted servant he was now and he was used to it. Maybe therefore it would actually be good for Hector to experience that his master could also admire his other slaves.

@Sara

• Like 1

"I can, but not very good...I don't want nice fabric ruined by my bad sewing." She admitted with a little shrug and a small smile, before continuing absently. "My sister and mother used to, for me. I was better at other thing." She smiled fondly at the memories, forgetting  herself and that he hadn't reacted kindly to her talking of her past before. Her little sister had much more skill in the traditional virtues of women; sewing, cooking and the like. Erea had always been better at gardening and helping with problems rather than sitting and minding the hearth. She supposed that was a problem, now she was a slave and expected to perform such duties, although mercifully she'd managed to escape kitchen duties. 

As they set off, she finally donned her thick cloak. It was still hot, but she enjoyed the protection it offered from his glances which she could feel on her as they meandered out of the exit to the gardens. 

She only nodded at his instructions about Hector. Poor Hector. She didn't enjoy the boy's company, and rather found him fairly intolerable, but it would be a shock to him - no doubt - to realise he was no longer the only slave the Dominus had in his sights. She supposed it was his complicity, that made her dislike him. From where she stood, she couldn't see Hector protesting about the treatment of the other slaves, or his own treatment. It made her stomach turn to think that others may view her similarly once they found out about the new...arrangements. She nodded at his words, adding; "Yes domine. I will tell you." Would she though? She hated to think of another punished - even if they'd given reason to. 

They walked in silence for some time, Charis having nothing much to say. She felt worn out, tired and sore. She was in no real mood for conversation. 

• Like 1