The Furii-Pontii and Tullii-Marii branches of Lucius' family had long been promiment patrons and clients of the highly reputable Paulus Annius Faventinus for quite some time now, supplying their households with the finest, most exquisite furniture and other goods of unimaginable worth, the origins spanning even as far as beyond the borders of the Roman Empire. The young senator had met and gotten to know this peculiar sorts man, an auctioneer by trade and son of a legionary, who often conducted deals with his father Lucius Major, being invited to their Domus or sometimes it was the opposite, taking place at his shop in the Campius Martius district. However it had been quite a while since there was any serious contact between Paulus and Lucius, as it was mainly the latter's parents who'd taken up on the initiative to have the auctioneer as their main supplier, but with them gone and Lucius' subsequent period of depressed attitude, there was no incentive for him at the time to continue this lucrative relationship.

However once Lucius snapped off of his self-pitying and started to live again as a (changed) member of the Roman nobility, he remembered his father's words about the value of keeping Paulus and his business close to the family, and wasn't that old man of his actually right? The auctioneer even participated in the funerals of his parents, and he couldn't remember the last time he ever said thank you to him, for what he'd done for the family throughout these years. This had to change and thus Lucius Minor felt compelled enough to venture out to Paulus' store and make things right again. He was also in need for some re-decorating and the auctioneer probably had in store, some rare piece of exotic furniture that would suit perfectly. With no time to waste, the senator finally arrived at Paulus' business and gave a few good knocks on the door before letting himself in. Once inside there was still familiar smell, characteristic to that specific location, summoning positive memories of nostalgia when he was a few years younger.

"Paulus Annius Faventius...It's me...Lucius Furius Thracius...Minor." Lucius took a deep breath and waited patiently for the owner to come out, or so that's what he hoped at least.

@Sharpie

Edited by The Young Pope
  • Like 1

Paulus was dealing with trying to fit a couch into an awkward corner at the back of his premises when Crispus informed him of his visitor. He left his staff to it and emerged, clad only in a tunic - he had set his pallium aside much earlier. If anyone expected him to wear that (or worse, his toga) for a whole day unless he was out and about cultivating customers, they had another think coming! 

He pulled his tunic straight and emerged. The 'Minor' tacked onto the end of the name informed him that it was not his late patron but that man's son (who could probably drop the 'Minor' part of the name now that 'Maior' was deceased).

"Good morning, sir," he said, brushing a dusty cobweb from his arm. "Welcome to my humble shop - what can I do for you?"

'Humble' might be stretching a point; it was a decent size, for an auction house had to fit in all sorts of things, from furniture and statues (there was a very nice one of Venus bathing that was situated by the door) to  Egyptian glassware and high-status pottery, most of which was stashed towards the back of the shop so it wouldn't be broken by clumsy viewers.

@The Young Pope

• Like 1

Lucius was, to say the least, quite surprised or even outright shocked about Paulus' reaction over seeing him for the first time over two years, formally speaking that is. He didn't know how to interpret this auctioneer's calm and cool demeanor; was he thrilled over seeing the son of one of his greatest clients to have employed his services and purchased goods throughout these years of magnificent partnership, or was this his method of containing an outburst to infuriating anger that simply wanted to explode from within, due to the Senator neglecting this special relationship? Taking a closer look at his facial expressions, Paulus proved to be a hard man to read, that old son of a Legioneer. There was so much going on in Lucius' head that sitting down and talking things through first, prior to embarking on a shopping round, ought to be in order.

"Paulus..I-I don't understand...perhaps it would be better for both of us to sit down for a moment and become reacquainted, as I'm sure those chairs over there would suffice. Your legs must be weary and tired after standing up for quite some time, right?" Lucius said, sitting down on what seemed to be less expensive chairs and hoped that he wouldn't anger the Auctioneer. "First and foremost, I'm here to offer my most sincere, absolute apology over the complete neglection of my family's patronage and clientage, as it's completely my own responsibility in the end. I was disrespectful enough to not thank thee for the services your business has provided to the family throughout these years, and how much my father's always spoke highly of you, even inviting you presence to the Domus itself. Let me reassure you that I'm thus here to attempt setting things in the right order, and this prosperous relationship will resume to a new chapter, under a new generation under my lead." Lucius could now only pray to his God that he hadn't made himself a  complete fool, though he rightly deserved it probably in any case. 

@Sharpie

• Like 1