Rome and Early Christianity

The Young Pope

Since my character's (Lucius Furius Pontius Thracius) so far the only active (secret) Christian, and with discussions that the admins have conducted in regards to its role in AERO, I took the initiatve to start this this thread where we may share sources and other forms of the faith's portrayal in media, particular in connection with Ancient Rome.

The first is a trailer of 'Paul, Apostle of Christ' which focuses on the namesake's (portrayed by James Faulkner) importance in the formation of the early church before his demise by Emperor Nero, and also includes St. Luke (portrayed by Jim Caviezel, who in return played Jesus in 'The Passion of the Christ'). I'm aware that Paul's fate has taken different turn compared to rl, and that biblical films may not be to everyone's taste, but it should hopefully serve as an inspiration to those who're considering rping as Christian characters + potential face claim (James Faulkner) for Linus? It should be available in Netflix as far as I can remember.

The Roman Governor of Judea, Pontius Pilate, sharing a distant blood relation with Lucius as indicated in his name, is presented in the second. I'll let the video description do the explanation: "Pontius Pilate oversaw Jesus' crucifixion around 30 AD, but what else do we really know about him for sure? In this video we dig into the facts, and the mountain of historical fiction (like the Acts of Pilate/Gospel of Nicodemus) associated with this enigmatic from the first century." I would overall recommend checking this channel out for improving one's knowledge about Christianity in general, and it has even gained a following amongst Non-Christians as well. Also if you want to 'waste' one hour and have nothing else to do, why noy consider checking the video out and learn something new in the process!

Edited by The Young Pope
  • Like 1