Marcus agreed that Clio could go and find a litter for Thalia, and she noticed how her sister hesitated as she looked around. She didn't want to leave Thalia here, which was of course understandable and natural, but Clio really would not mind. Finally her sister stated she'd do that and then she was off.

"See you soon, sister." Thalia said and watched her sister disappear in among the people. She was now left here on the ground by the fountain with a hurt ankle and a man who had been a stranger until not very long ago. Marcus wondered if she had hurt herself anywhere else and Thalia thought about it.

"I don't think so? It's the ankle that hurts the most." She wanted to check if she had any scrapes, but she probably should not show so much skin out here in public. All they could do now was wait for her sister to return.

"So... is it difficult, your job with the White racing faction? You must be overseeing a lot of different things." She said then, trying to make some conversation with the man and as her grandmother had taught her, before she passed, letting a man know she was interested in his life was always a good thing. She didn't know if she was interested in him like that, but it was always exciting meeting new people. Even if you literally met them by accident.

@Sharpie @Chevi

• Like 1

"Would you like a hand up - you would be more comfortable sitting on the edge of the fountain than on the ground, I think," Marcus said, once it was clear that Major had not hurt herself anywhere else other than her ankle.

"Difficult? There are a lot of different things to oversee, of course - more than a lanista has to deal with, because there are all the horses as well as the charioteers, and all the equipment, so there are the people who make and mend all of that. It can be challenging, but being organised helps, and if you have reliable people to oversee each of those areas, it means that you don't have to think of every single thing." Delegation and good supervisors were the key to running a successful venture like a chariot faction, in Marcus' experience.  "I have all sorts of people who can supervise each area, of course, so I know what's going on, and what I have to think about when it comes to making decisions, and that makes it easier for me to see the picture as a whole. A bit like looking at a mosaic floor being laid, with workers doing their own bit of the picture and me helping them work together to make sure they're all making the same big picture in the end."

Which explanation might or might not make sense, of course; Marcus had little experience of describing his job to young ladies!

@Chevi @Atrice

Marcus was kind enough to offer her a hand up towards a better seat and she nodded with a small smile, “I would like that.” She said and let him take her hand in his to get her up and she humped to the edge of the fountain to sit down there. Once she sat, she smoothed out her dress. It had become a little bit dirty, but it wasn’t too bad and hopefully not something her aunt would blame her for.

Meanwhile she’d also asked him a question about Marcus’ work and he seemed more than happy to explain it all to her. He did have many things to oversee, but said he was organized and Septima nodded. She could still imagine it was a lot to keep track of, the job he had. Horses, charioteers, equipment and all the people taking care of all of that, to have it stay in shape. He continued his explanations and compared it to a mosaic floor being laid, which she had seen done.

She nodded, “That makes sense. So you know what the big picture is supposed to look like. And the others help you reach that goal.” She said, thinking it sounded just about right and she was glad she understood it and figured it out. What now though?

“Have you always been doing things with charioteers, then? It sounds like you have a lot of experience…”

@Sharpie @Chevi

• Like 1

"Brace yourself, then," Marcus said, offering his hand and pulling her carefully to her feet. Once she was settled on the stone edge of the fountain, he stepped back a little to give her some space, as propriety demanded.

"I have been involved in racing in one form or another all my life," he said. "I was fifteen when I trained my first horses to race - a pair, in the bigae races - the two-horse chariots, though I didn't race them myself that year. I have raced, though, but I gave it up to concentrate on training - the horses have to learn how to run together, and the charioteers have to learn how to drive them to get the best from them."

Every step of his chosen career path had involved a steep learning curve, but it was a way of life that he had been born into, and he could not imagine doing anything else.

His own career might be glamorous, to an outsider at least, but he would not spend the entire time talking about himself at her expense. "But what about you? What do you like doing, other than decorating fountains for Fontinalia?"

@Atrice @Chevi

• Like 1

He was strong enough and easily pulled Septima to her feet, although she was careful to not bump into him when it happened. Maybe if he had been younger, but that did not mean she was not curious about him. And she did know how to make conversation and seemed very good at keeping him entertained - with stories about himself. Men like that, her grandmother had told her. Marcus seemed not to mind either.

He explained how he'd been involved in racing his whole life and he had trained horses and had raced too, but then he wanted to be a trainer rather than a charioteer. She nodded quietly, that did seem like a good path, although she didn't know much about such a life. It sounded like fun though. Much more fun than her current life. Silence fell a little bit and then he wanted to know about her, suddenly. 

"I do like decorating the fountains. Pity it failed." She said with a sad sigh, but wiped it away just as quickly, "I like meeting new people and being social, I suppose. And getting ready for it. Planning it." It didn't sound so exciting though and even though she was the elder of the twins and had that to her advantage, she knew people sometimes ended up finding her sister more interesting, because she knew things and was good at remembering. Thalia was not like that, she had tried, but scrolls and history and science just bored her and she would rather go for a walk, than sit quietly in a study for hours... "I suppose my life is not half as interesting as yours though." 

@Sharpie @Chevi