Be Our Guuuuuessst

Beauty

Marcus was probably different from most Romans - but he also did not grow up in Rome. Gaul was a different place than Rome and because Marcus was probably a bit different than most people, he did not care about continuing his legacy. He just wanted to work; earn money and work himself up in the system, to live a more luxurious life, but what would happen with his fortune when he died... that was less important to him. He lived now. Not when he died.

When he told Titus he had no family, the other suggested he could tell his friends about the Elysium and Marcus arched a brow. Did he have friends? Not really, he supposed. He had plenty of clients, business associates, he knew a lot of people, but none he would call his friend. He chose to not comment and then Titus was suddenly curious if Marcus enjoyed gladiatorial games and Marcus naturally wondered about the same with Titus.

He said he did enjoy it and was a lot more elaborate than Marcus about it. He enjoyed that he didn't know who would win or die and he enjoyed looking at them, of course. Titus said their looks were very appealing to him. 

"So that is what gets you going, then... looking at people as they fight for survival." Marcus commented, wondering if Titus had ever killed someone himself, "Have you ever made someone fight for their survival, then? You do have a lot of slaves... you're their master. You decide if they live or die. I do like having that power." He confessed then and glanced at Titus while they walked. They were not entirely alike, but they did have some common interests, it seemed. He barely had any friends, he thought, but if he had to get one... Titus would be a good one, he thought. One who might even understand him a little.

@Beauty

• Like 1

Titus never thought of himself as a terrible person. Terrible had been his younger brother, Gnaeus. He would have surely loved the gladiatorial games for the he would have been watching with a fiendish tint to his eyes and cackling unceremoniously throughout, without regard for those sitting next to him. He was more of an animal than the animals he tormented when alive. And yet, Titus had ordered the death of a friend and business associate, merely to assume more power. But he wasn’t terrible, just a man with high ambitions if you asked him.

“I have not yet but I suppose there is money to be gained by such an act,” said Titus, both hands coming together as though he were praying and pressing against his lips in thought. He always tried to think up new ways to gain more coin. His eyes had always been elsewhere towards his schemes that he hadn’t yet thought of tossing one of his slaves into the pits, instead keeping them to serve him in some capacity where he felt like he could control them better.

“At the very least, it would be entertaining,” said Titus, offering a sly smile as his hands lowered. Titus didn’t trust very easy, he never divulged too much about himself but Marcus was proving himself to be good company, considering that he liked having power. Two businessmen with a love of power, it certainly made an interesting connection. “You do seem the type of man to enjoy power, which is a rather admirable trait. I suppose that’s why business attracts our sort. It’s one of the most exciting ways a man can gain leverage in the world and it can become just as bloody as the gladiatorial pits.” Especially where criminals were concerned, Titus knew that much. “Nothing like a bit of life and death to make the job more exhilarating, especially when you have the higher ground.”

@Atrice

• Like 1

Marcus was genuinely curious if anyone else was like him or understood his ways. Not that he ever shared his secrets with anyone (anyone alive, anyway), but he thought Titus might be the closest to someone who might understand. Titus said he had not made anyone fight for their lives and spoke of money. Oh, he still talked about the games. Marcus talked about Titus making someone fight for their survival. And if they did not win, well, they would be dead. Marcus had done that, with some of his slaves. Never planned though, not to begin with. But sometimes they just didn't get his meaning and then he had do something... and he didn't mean to, but sometimes, they just ended up... dead. Good thing there were plenty of slaves to be bought in Rome! 

Titus continued musing on how it would be entertaining to make someone fight for their lives and Marcus nodded, "It can be." He just said, forgetting himself for a moment there, indirectly letting Titus know he had done it. 

The other said he thought that enjoying power was a good trait - and he spoke of their sort, as if they were the same. Marcus paid attention, as the man went on about how you could gain leverage in the world and life and death made the job more interesting, "When it comes to slaves, not being a slave definitely gives you the higher ground." Marcus said, "But you already know that. How many do you have, in the Elysium? Are all the whores slaves?" Honestly he didn't know, but he was curious, "Do you need to replace them often?" That was the next logical question from someone who also replaced his slaves sometimes. 

@Beauty

• Like 1

If it hadn’t been for Titus, his family would have been living in poverty, likely no better than slaves. His father had been quite useless that way, a good businessman on some days but the absolute worst on most. And to think his father had thought so little of him too, the weak man was likely rolling in his grave. Titus much preferred having that higher ground than nothing at all.

“I can’t say I know the exact amount off the top of my head,” he said, rubbing a chin. He’d have to go over information in his office to know. “But I would say a good amount, if not most, are indeed slaves. I don’t want most freed or getting any ideas that they are an equal to me in any way. Some freedmen are overconfident but they don’t remember where they once were.” Titus thought of himself as better than freedmen and women, simply because he did not share their background. He had been untouched by  bondage and untainted by their way of life since birth.

“And to answer your second question, if a man is to, let’s say, badly hurt or even kill one of my slaves, he must pay a sum, enough for me to care for the slave or buy a new one,” said Titus, explaining. A little extra, of course, for his pocket but what some men didn’t know didn’t hurt them. Or Titus for now. “I replace my slaves every so often as a result. But that isn’t to say that slaves don’t get on my nerves too.” He chuckled softly and felt comfortable enough to admit this. “And that is the way it should be in Rome. Beating slaves into submission. We can’t have them thinking they have a voice.”

@Atrice

• Like 1

Marcus listened to how Titus spoke of his slaves, telling that he had a good amount and didn't want to get most of them freed. He didn't want them getting good ideas and then he mentioned how some freedmen got too confident. Marcus nodded, "Yes, be careful with freedmen. After my father died, his body slave was freed. And my mother married him instead. It wasn't good." Marcus explained. It really hadn't been good. His mother's husband had been kinder to poor poor Gaius, his brother, just because of that incident with the razor. And he never liked Marcus anyway. Good they were all gone.

Titus continued to tell what happened, if one of his slaves was maimed or died, but just as Marcus, Titus seemed to consider them only a little more than animals. They were paid for and replaced if he lost them. He said some of them got on his nerves and then he had to beat them into submission, so they wouldn't think they had a voice.

"I agree. That is the way it should be." Marcus replied, "They shouldn't think they have a voice, because they don't. My slaves know this. They don't speak unless I ask them to and they're quiet, like ghosts. I don't want them disturbing my clients." He explained, "You'll see soon enough. It's easy to make them submissive when you're the one with the sharpest tools in the house." He added with a small smile, certain Titus would understand. How nice it was to meet someone so like himself! 

@Beauty

• Like 1

He listened to Marcus open up to him. It was not by much, as the man seemed difficult to crack into, but it was something and that something was interesting. He laughed, not because it was a funny story but because, in a very small way, he could relate. “It wasn’t good” summed up the entire affair regarding Marcus and his family. It certainly summed up Titus’ backstory as well.

“My father’s second woman was a whore after my mother died,” he admitted, rolling his eyes. “You would have thought he could do better. The woman spawned an equally loose creature, my sister. But she has her beauty so that was the one good thing that came out of it. She is quiet and obedient, the way a woman should to be. The perfect wife but now to find the perfect husband.”

As the conversation veered forwards, he saw that he could actually see eye-to-eye with Marcus. That was a relatively rare thing, considering most seemed to treat slaves and freedmen like they were equals. “Have you ever thought of breaking their teeth when they talk? Or cutting out their tongues?” suggested Titus, waving a hand innocently. He phrased it like a joke but he truly meant it.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Marcus had just confessed that after his own father died, his mother had married the freedman and former body slave of his father. And now Titus said that his father had taken a whore after his mother died, and said whore even bore him a sister. Marcus arched a brow, thinking it was such an odd coincidence, that they both had such a tale to tell. But Titus' sister sounded like she was alright despite that, not the worst kind of woman anyway. Not that he knew much about women besides his mother and some female slaves he had. 

Titus said his sister would be a perfect wife to some husband, but so far, Marcus did not consider it could be him. He did not plan on taking a wife. When it came to that, he was certainly not your typical Roman at all. 

"I hope you find a good husband for your sister. Then she'll be off your hands at least." Marcus said. All he knew about women as daughters and wives were that they were the responsibility of the Pater Familias... their father or their husband or oldest son. It would be one less mouth to feed and one less concern for Titus, if she married. But they weren't just talking about families, but also how similiar their views were on slaves. Titus wondered if Marcus had ever maimed his slaves for talking.

"I have thought about the tongues." Marcus replied, "But if a slave irritates me... cutting out their tongue would not be enough. Slaves need to know that there will be harsh consequenses if they break any rules you set for them. And then as long as they don't break the rules, they are fine." And if they broke said rules in Marcus' house, he tried hard to give them a second chance, but it didn't always happen that they got one... "I'm quite strict with my slaves. Have you ever done such things? Breaking teeth or cutting tongues... or something like it?" 

@Beauty

• Like 1

On one hand, Titus wanted to “sell” his sister to the highest bidder, the best option. After all, good connections were everything in Rome. And yet, all the same, he could not part from his sister. Not out of brotherly love, no, rather if she left, she would become her husband’s property and out of his line of power. He did not like that idea, not one bit. The man would need to be someone on the same set of mind as Titus or a fool, easy to manipulate. And then there was Gaia’s bastard to deal with, a boy who was growing into a man. Men were harder to control sometimes.

Already Marcus was making quite the impression. A good impression. Titus raised his chin, eyes looking around him as if in thinking “did he ever do such things?” The answer was yes. He wasn't interested in torture, it didn’t do anything for him. Perhaps it was the power. What was life without power and money?

“I’ve beaten my slaves,” he admitted casually, now the conversation was getting exciting and past all the polite words. Titus never did usually divulge too much of himself to anyone unless there was trust. Well, the two men seemed to see eye-to-eye. “I haven’t cut tongues, no. Not yet anyways.” He flashed Marcus a smile, a curious twinkle in his eyes. “More men need to be like you, Marcus. Strict on their slaves. I see too many wandering the streets like rats and multiplying like insects. You say cutting tongues isn’t enough. What would you say is enough?”

@Atrice

• Like 1

It was nice and easy to not have any family to consider, in any matter at all. After his father died, the rest had also passed away and by his own hand too and he actually did not regret it that much. Maybe he felt a little bad killing his mother, but she was the only one. He did not miss his brother or his mother's husband, the freedman. It was easy to not have a family. Marcus could do as he pleased without having to answer to anyone at home. And so he explained to Titus how he was strict with his slaves to make sure they followed orders.

And of course he asked if Titus had ever harmed his slaves. Titus admitted he had beaten them, but he had not cut out their tongues... yet. He smiled at Marcus, who arched a brow, but then Titus said more men should be like Marcus. Of course he enjoyed hearing such a thing! And he agreed very much with Titus' view on slaves. Although then the other would know what sort of treatment Marcus did think was enough, if they did not follow orders and rules set for them.

"What would you do with a dog or a horse, if it was impossible to tame?" Marcus asked, carefully dancing around the subject here, "A dog or a horse would be my property. And if the property is damaged somehow, I'll get rid of it. It is the same with the slaves; they are property too. Nothing more. Property that has its uses, of course." He added with a little smile. He was almost certain Titus understood what he meant, although he had not said directly that he would kill slaves that weren't obedient. But they were his to control. And if they could not be controlled, they were of no use to him.

@Beauty

• Like 1

If you were to ask him, an impossible to tame dog or horse was not worth the effort. He tended to disregard anything that no longer interested him. Titus would either sell the animal or put it out of its misery. And yet, could a dog or horse not be trained and tamed? Surely, they could. As could a human with a certain amount of work if one put their back into it. After all, most slaves were tamed, even the most impossible. In Titus’ experience, mind games broke a person, especially their spirit, even the most resilient. But Marcus was right, difficult slaves were not worth keeping and had to be disposed of, if not changed. Titus returned the smile.

“Indeed,” replied Titus. It was true, slaves did have their uses and Titus was a man who always tried to gain something out of life, his slaves mere pawns in the process. “Have you ever tried taming the shrew? Rather than disposing of them, playing with their minds?” It was a gamble saying what he did so openly to another man but he’d already seen a glimpse of the man earlier and he simply wasn’t a man to trifle with, especially if a slave, which only made him more interesting in Titus’ eyes. “It brings another form of entertainment that one mightn’t see in the gladiatorial pits.” He chuckled lightly. “Sometimes pain doesn’t break a man, his own mind does.”

@Atrice

• Like 1

Not everyone agreed that you should kill your slaves if they were not useful or were fierce and disobedient. Not everyone liked that idea, he knew that. That's why he was so careful with whom he told it to, but he thought that Titus would understand. He had not cared for how Marcus treated the whore at the brothel and they seemed to agree when it came to treatment of slaves in general. But now Titus suggested playing mind-games with the slaves and said it could be entertaining. 

Marcus thought a bit about it, "I have not tried that, no... I prefer more... physical methods. I do like to let them know who is in control. But I don't dispose of them with their first mistake, of course. Punishment first. And the others must be present too, to watch, so they can learn the lesson too." He explained and looked up, "Here we are, my humble shop and home." 

His condo was in the first floor of the building and just beneath his condo, was the workshop. From the back-room to the shop there was a staircase, leading up to the actual home.

"Welcome, please come inside." Marcus walked in first though, but that was to open the hatches to the windows and let some light come into the shop. A slave appeared in the doorway to the rest of the domus and bowed his head quietly to his master.

@Beauty

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1

Titus nodded, non-judgemental. The more Marcus spoke, the more Titus found that he agreed with the man. Titus turned to look up at the building, it was humble but a home nonetheless. Titus’ own home was lavish but simply because he liked to live in luxury, though he ironically kept his money all for himself. Titus stepped into the man’s home after Marcus did and he looked around the place, not necessarily inspecting it or judging but out of habit, studying his surroundings.

A man’s home said a lot about him. The house revealed nothing about Marcus’ nature, however, making the man only more of a mystery to him. The slave present was quiet and obedient. He eyed the male slave at the doorway, admiring the man’s physique. Regardless of whether or not the slave was within earshot, Titus spoke up, returning to their previous conversation.

“You ought to try playing with their minds a little,” said Titus, who, unlike Marcus, much preferred playing with a man’s mind, the way a lion played with its food before devouring it. “Violence is like the grand meal and playing with their brittle minds like the appetizers beforehand. One is the act, the other its foreplay. Though violence has its perks, I’m sure, you ought to come to my place for dinner and I’ll show you just how I break a man’s mind from the inside.”

It wasn’t just slaves he did it to but his sister as well, who he was cruel to one moment and then kind the next, a cycle that kept her loyal and locked to him entirely.

“I was thinking of trimming my hair as well,” said Titus suddenly, rubbing his chin and feeling the prickles of hair against his fingers.

@Atrice

• Like 1

It was probably very humble, but Marcus was proud of what he had gained in Rome so far. He came here with very little and had worked himself up to having both a shop on street level and the insula just above it, which wasn't a tiny insula either - it was a quite nice little apartment, actually and it had everything he needed. They stepped into the shop now though and Marcus welcomed Titus while a slave stood ready to help them. Marcus noted that it was Tinus, who managed to get here first, which was good. It proved that he wanted to be a good slave. Where were the others though? 

Titus spoke up again, about playing mindgames with the slaves and he said it was like an appetizer before the grand meal. That got Marcus' interest and he smiled when the other basically invited him for dinner.

"Thank you very much, I think I'd not be against coming to dinner at your place and see how you do things." Marcus said and then Titus mentioned he wanted both a shave and a trimming of his hair. Marcus nodded and looked to his slave. Tinus had helped out a few times in the shop before, although it was mostly Manus who did it so far. Manus and Aculia. Tinus had to learn though.

"I will start with the hair then. Please take a seat." He gestured to the fine and only chair in the barber shop. Marcus glanced to the jars of salves and oils and wondered if Tinus was going to do anything other than just stand there. He seemed tired. Why was he not rested? Gods, sometimes you had to tell slaves literally anything they should do, even eat and sleep... 

"Tinus, prepare the best shaving oil." Marcus said to the slave, who finally seemed to wake from his daze and got to work. So far Marcus was not so satisfied with him. But he let it go for now and removed the key to his chest with razors and scissors from his neck, to unlock it. He picked a pair of scissors so far and locked it again. 

@Beauty

• Like 1