Longinus only shrugged dispassionately and held out a couple of scrolls to Attis. He trusted the man with his life, certainly he trusted him to read through a list of names. Besides, both he and Aulus' slave had heard all the details now and it would be quicker to set them to the task than rope in his Tribune and get him up to speed. Taking the scroll from Titus with an arched brow but silently and glanced over it. "That's him." He agreed with a nod and reaching across the table he took a reed and dipping it into loose ink made an 'x' next to his name. When done, and as the others glanced over their lists he took a wax tablet and etched down the details of the scheme and what they knew so far so he wouldn't forget. His memory was not what it used to be. 

"I'll send men to apprehend him, Tabnit and Appius once we've found this Gaius." He glanced up to survey the tent although his face was void of his characteristic smile. "Better to do it in one fell swoop than risk doing it one by one." And then he could well take out his frustration of this scenario on said men. Much as he might wish to wipe the smug smile from Titus' face to make himself feel better, it would serve him better to use his authority to punish those who had actually made a mockery of his leadership. 

Throwing down the stylus and placing down the tablet with a clatter he sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Picking up the scroll he was reading he tried to concentrate but struggled, feeling irritation and shame bite at him like a yapping dog. "Any other Gaii?" He asked Aulus and set down his own parchment again. 

TAG: @Sharpie @Liv

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Attis took the scroll handed to him and found a corner of the tent where he could be out of the way, dropping to sit cross-legged so that he could unroll it easier. He looked up as if to say something but was forestalled by Aulus who set aside the scroll he had just been examining as being of no further interest. 

"Titus, go through the Gaii in the list you've got, one of them might be our man. They're hardly likely to have recruited from men they barely know. They're probably friends, in the same cohort, maybe even the same century."

Attis deflated; he'd been about to say something similar, and glanced up at his master. He'd definitely have to come up with some way to cheer him up later, if his friends didn't, or couldn't.

@Sara @Liv

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 2

At last this little enterprise was bearing fruit. Three men identified and hopefully unsuspecting of what awaited them, one more to go. Though he was too cross at everything and everyone for a number of more or less explainable reasons, Titus silently approved of Longinus' note-taking; about fucking time, too. "Yeah, don't want to tip them off." Word travelled fast in close quarters, and contrary to the solid image they projected, bored legionaries were as willing and able as old widows when it came to gossip and wagging tongues. He would like to stick around to see if the culprits would be appropriately punished, but time was a scarce commodity as of late. If the affair came to a conclusion soon, then maybe he could linger a little while longer.

And yet again Aulus displayed the benefits of keeping a cool head: it stood to reason that the men could not have been strangers to each other, but rather the opposite. Perhaps even tent mates. "All right, let's see..." Titus muttered, more to himself than to the other men in the tent. A cursory glance yielded no results, but he'd only been looking for capital Gs and the penmanship could definitely use some work. It could also be the case that the man in question favoured the older spelling, and so Titus studied the list more carefully. "One Caius Volusenus..." Into view came a very misshapen G, but one nonetheless. Even his daughter could do better. "Gaius Rabirius..." And another one, further down the list. "Gaius Curius... And that's it for this one."

He lifted his gaze from the list and let it flit about expectantly, hoping one of the names had sparked a flash of recognition. Otherwise, they might as well order all the Gaii in the whole bloody legion to line up against a wall and have their balls chopped off one by one until a little piggy lost his bravado and squealed.

@Sara @Sharpie 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Longinus arched a brow and looked up dispassionately; "Gaius Rabirius," He nodded and thought through the name in his head. He'd heard it before, although where and in what context escaped him. But it couldn't be anything good - few low ranking officers were mentioned frequently enough for him to know them intimately unless they had done something exceptionally well, or exceptionally poorly. He considered the odds and decided that the likelihood of this one doing something so exceptional as to arose his legate's approval was minimal given they'd not fought or gone raided in weeks. After a few further moments of silence he offered a weak smile, a shadow of his usual buoyant grin and nodded; "That's the one, I'm sure of it." 

He glanced across at Attis, a crinkle of good humour returning to his eyes as he spied the slave sat on the floor dutifully examining scrolls. "Fetch my Tribune, Attis. Tell him I need to speak with him about supply chains." He didn't want to arose suspicion amongst the men if Attis was indiscrete enough to summon the young man in view of the others, although he suspected his dutiful slave had more sense than that. 

He'd speak with the Tribune and delegate the logistics of apprehending Gaius, Appius, Mantius and Tabnit. They'd been encamped and marching for weeks now and he knew the young lad was getting restless; finding the monotony of camp life dull compared to his dreams of action and glory. It was a small task, but it'd give him something to do at least - although the punishment would of course be at Longinus' pleasure to dispense. Whilst Attis fetched the man, Longinus set to silently re-rolling all of the scrolls that littered his desk, silently, and pointedly ignoring Titus for fear he'd lose his cool, and Aulus by virtue of his embarrassment at this mess. 

TAG: @Sharpie @Liv

• Like 2

Attis looked up at the sound of his name, before letting the scroll spring closed and scrambling to his feet. "Yes, Domine," he said, accepting the role of dumb dutiful slave with his master's acquaintances present, and reading the irritation and general (though suppressed) anger. He placed the scroll on his master's desk and slipped out of the tent on his errand.

"You know, you have neither of you really seen just how good the other actually is at his job," Aulus said into the suddenly tense silence left in the slave's wake. "Titus is a very able administrator - I feel sure that this mess has not been going on for very long at all, and he has come all the way from Londinium. In fact, I would venture to guess he left as soon as anything was suspected to be amiss, because he would not wish his friend to have anyone else investigate it. Lucius is one of the most capable soldiers and officers I have been privileged to work alongside. His courage is second to none, and his men are well-trained, well-equipped, and their morale is high, something that is not at all easy to attain in a place such as this, with men from such diverse backgrounds as those he commands. If I could not go into battle with my own men, I would willingly go alongside him and his men. I could not ask for better friends, nor for better colleagues, in either the political or military spheres."

@Liv @Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1