Fill the glass

Liv

October, 74 AD.

Clio fidgeted in her seat, casting nervous looks about her surroundings. In the early afternoon, the popina was far from at its busiest, but even from the relative safety of her corner table and stool, she didn't feel very comfortable being at this place alone. In front of her was a crude ceramic cup half-full with posca; at least while unaccompanied, she preferred to stay as sober as possible.

Had the other slave received and understood her message? What if he could not - or did not want to - come, and Clio sat there all by herself for hours like a fool? It had been hard enough to negotiate these few hours of relative freedom, and it had involved lying to her domina - something the black-haired slave usually tried to avoid and for good reason. She had risked a lot to be here, and even now, alone with only her thoughts for company, Clio still wasn't quite sure why she had done it. It would have been so easy to cast everything aside as a fortuitous meeting and small talk, but no, she had to go and follow up on her parting words.

Inhaling sharply through her nose, Clio tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and grabbed her cup to take another sip. Just as her glace swept through the entrance door, a familiar figure came through it, and she very nearly spilled her drink on the table. Why was her heart beating so fast all of a sudden?!

@Atrice

• Like 1

Helenus had been very surprised, when he got the message from Clio! She was the slavegirl he met, who just would not abandon her mistress' clothes with the capsarii, because of course she knew things could be stolen. So Helenus had distracted her and taken her away from the shelves. He never knew if any of the others got hold of any valuables in the wealthy woman's things and it didn't matter. He had Clio had parted ways and she had kind of hinted that they might meet again, but he didn't get his hopes up. Helenus did hope to meet someone he would really like, maybe even love, someday, but with the life he led... he did not dare to hope too much. It never did him any good anyway.

So yes, he'd been surprised. And then he had spoken to his fellow slaves and made a few deals, so he could actually see Clio. At the Poppina Via Lata even! He had never been there before, so it was something else! Helenus dressed in the best tunica he had (he only had a few and honestly, he did not think they were that interesting any of them. Old and worn) and one of the female slaves had combed his hair and pulled it away from his face into a ponytail. Simply dressed, but as finely as he could be, he found the poppina and walked into the part that was meant for the lower class citizens of Rome.

He looked around for a moment and then he saw the pretty slavegirl with a cup in her hand and looking even prettier than he remembered. Helenus could not help but smile and recalled the short and odd kiss they shared - but it was indeed a kiss and it was real and not one a client of the thermae had demanded was given. He approached her, still smiling warmly, "Hello... I..." This was kind of awkward? As he told her that day, no one had ever asked him out before... 

"Thanks for inviting me. I was... surprised. But happy." He added quickly, feeling he stumbled over his words, "How are you? Can I sit... here?" He nodded at the chair opposite hers, forgetting that he was away from the thermae and she was not a superior who should tell him what to do. He could make the decision. But how did you do that? all of a sudden?!

@Liv

• Like 1

The cup in her hand had more uses than just holding drink: namely, Clio could partially hide her flaming cheeks behind it as she raised it to take a sip of posca. Even if her dark skin kept her face from looking too brightly red, the heat almost had her feeling like she was at a caldarium. "Hello," she greeted back after swallowing, noticing the liquid had done nothing to relieve the dryness in her throat.

"Of course, it's for you," she gestured at the empty chair with her free hand, hoping the other slave would not see how her fingers trembled. She took in his appearance with furtive glances, looking at him for a split second and then at the table or at the other patrons behind him. Helenus looked eve more handsome all prim and proper like that, with his hair pulled back and clean clothes, and seemed to be as slightly uncomfortable as Clio herself. He had said he had never been asked out during their previous meeting, and going by his nervousness, it had been true.

She hid her hands under the table and gave him a tentative smile. "It was nice of you to come. I was starting to feel like I'd made a fool of myself." She probably was, but only time would tell. Another stubborn lock of hair came out from behind her other ear and she quickly put it back in place, not considering it could have been useful to hide her face is she felt particularly flustered.

"Was it difficult to come here? I mean... Will you get in trouble?" Since Helenus had shown up after all, Clio reckoned he had worked something out, but when you had been a slave your whole life, fear of punishment was like a second skin.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Was his life too... secluded in the thermae? He did not get out so much and no one had ever asked him out. Especially not someone who was not a fellow capsarius at the thermae. But here he stood and despite Clio's skin tone, he could see she was blushing when she greeted him. Why was she blushing? When they met, she had seemed so confident. Was she just as nervous as he was? That would kind of be a relief, he thought.

Clio said that of course he could sit and he did so, looking at her and how pretty she was. Had she made herself pretty for him too? Not that she had to, she was already very pretty, he thought to himself. Silence fell between them for a short while, before she smiled and said it was nice he came and otherwise she would have felt like a fool.

"Of course I came. I just didn't know you'd actually invite me. But I'm glad you did." Helenus said with a smile, he should stop sounding so surprised, he should relax more. Clio didn't make him relax much then when she asked her next question. Would he get in trouble? 

"It wasn't that difficult. And I hope I will not get in trouble. I talked to some of the others, they'll cover for me." Or at least he hoped they would. Although now she got him talking and he continued on the same subject. He hadn't really talked to anyone about this issue before, but maybe Clio would be understanding... "I can't afford getting into more trouble. Not so long ago, I was... bathing, in the early hours, before any guests had come. But I was bathing in the wrong pool and a woman, I think maybe a patrician, found me there. And she was so mad." He looked at his hands, stretching and bending his fingers as if trying to find something to do with them, "I usually don't misbehave. I don't want trouble. I'm sure you know what it feels like." 

@Liv

• Like 1

When she realised that she too was being scrutinised, Clio's blush intensified. She hadn't had the chance to doll herself up too much for fear of arousing suspicion in her household, and so had simply donned a dark-red tunic and a beige palla - the sort of thing her domina would sometimes have her parade in for the contrasting colours. Hopefully Helenus wouldn't think it too shabby. 

"I'm glad you came," she admitted with a small smile, finally making steady eye contact. "What would you like to drink?" If he didn't order something, it wouldn't be long before the innkeeper would start to give them the stink eye. Serving slaves was all very well as long as you made the popina money, else you were just occupying valuable floor space.

As she listened to Helenus, Clio felt relieved to know he wouldn't get into trouble on her account. When they had first met, she might have even relished the thought, but she was not so mean anymore. His tale was an interesting one, but one thing stood out as quite odd. "Wait, you have worked there for ages and you managed to get into the wrong pool?" She couldn't help the disbelief in her voice or the way her eyes opened wide; the story sounded too improbable. He should know the thermae like the back of his hand... Could it be he had sneaked into the women's quarters to steal?!

Clio didn't know what to think. She wanted Helenus' story to be true, just a simple mistake caused by lack of sleep, but there was a chance that he was just testing her. To gain time, she took another sip of her drink and decided in that instant to give the capsarius the benefit of the doubt, but remain cautious. Or rather, more cautious than she had been since he had joined her.

"What happened afterwards? Did she order you whipped?" A patron of high enough rank would not find it impossible to have a public slave punished for some perceived slight. Clio twiddled her thumbs under the table, unable to keep still. Fortunately nobody could see them. "I do. But sometimes trouble finds you whether you want to or not."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Helenus had sat down and was glad Clio was glad that he came after all. But why should he not come? He wanted to, after all. On the other hand, a slave was not always able to do what they wanted to do. They did what they had to do. She wondered what he would drink, "Just some watered sweet wine. What are you drinking?" Helenus asked her curiously, and then she had spoken about him getting in trouble and for some reason, he spilled the story about that wealthy woman who found him and was so angry...

And then she almost scolded him too for getting in the wrong pool. Helenus looked down at his hands, that lay flat on the table in front of him, "I didn't mean to! Or... it was before the thermae opened. There were no guests when I got into the pool and I thought I had plenty of time. But then she showed up." Helenus said, didn't dare to look at her, "The women's baths are closer to our quarters than the men's." He added, just to make sure she understood why he went there. But maybe she still did not trust him. Helenus had however not visited that pool since. Clio wondered what happened after.

"She wanted to find my superior, but he wasn't there. And the lady didn't care about my apologies or anything. But then her friend talked her out of it, somehow. They should have had me punished though. I did something I shouldn't have done. Nothing has happened, but I still fear something will. You never know what they come up with." He said, he still hadn't looked up at her again, as if he was afraid. She was a fellow slave, but right now it felt like she was more than that. 

@Liv

• Like 1

"Oh, I'm just having some posca. Wine hasn't been agreeing with me lately." 'Lately' was in fact the last few hours and, more likely than not, it was simply because of the butterflies in her stomach, but she didn't feel like sharing that. Clio glanced around for a barkeep to make eye contact with and raised a hand to head height, signalling an incoming order. The hairy man who had served her before raised his hand back in a 'just a moment' gesture; even if they had coin, slaves weren't usually the highest-priority customers.

She took another mouthful of her sour drink as Helenus explained himself again, looking a bit flustered despite his well-groomed state. It was actually cute how he avoided looking at her, like a child being scolded, and Clio found herself smiling a little despite not being entirely sure she believed his spiel. It could indeed have been a mere miscalculation of time on his part, so she decided to take his word for it, at least until he said or did something else suspicious. It would certainly be nice if he proved to be someone she could open up to, in the end...

"You're right about that. Just because you weren't punished at the time, doesn't mean they've forgotten it," she commented in a sympathetic tone. Slaves, whether treated well or poorly, were always at the mercy of their masters' whims, and how much time had passed since an offence had taken place played no role in the strength of the punishment. Poor Helenus, he would surely be living the next few days in fear of getting what he assumed was coming to him. "Let me guess, she was one of those snobby matrons with more coin than wits and a few dozen slaves at her grand domus..." Clio was passingly familiar with the type: it was the type of woman her mistress desperately sought to befriend for the gains such a relationship might bring.

She sought out Helenus' dark eyes with her own, bowing her head but staring straight at him to encourage him to look at her again. "But does your superior know about it?" Her voice was soft and tinged with worry. Even she did not dare imagine what could happen to the capsarius, but maybe he had already formed his own ideas. "What do you think will happen now?"

@Atrice

Helenus nodded quietly when she explained what she was drinking; he might have had the same, if he was at home at the baths, but this was a rare occassion and maybe the wine would make him calm. He did not feel very calm though, as he got into explaining how he came to be in the wrong pool at the wrong time and met that horrible and arrogant woman, who would not hear his apologies or let him make it up to her. And still he had not been punished properly either. Something was wrong. 

He didn't see she was smiling at the way he looked down, because he was too embarrassed to look at her. Maybe he should not have come. It was stupid to think he could be good enough for someone like her, but she had wanted to see him... so he came. Clio agreed he might still be punished and he nodded quietly while moving his fingers up and down from the table. Was the wine coming soon? Oh, he had not ordered it. Why weren't they being served? This was a disaster! 

Clio broke him out of his thoughts by speaking of the woman again, what she was like, "I'm definitely sure she has plenty of coin. She looked like it... beautiful, but deadly, you know." Surely Clio knew what he meant. Maybe she was deadly. Maybe that is why he hadn't been punished. He was going to die, maybe? 

"I think he knows? She said she would write to him. I don't know what will happen. It is not up to me to decide anything." Helenus said and sighed and dared to look up at her, "Maybe we should talk about something else. I am curious about you. Are you body slave to your domina?" 

@Liv

• Like 1

Helenus seemed to be in quite a state thanks to the odd episode he'd been through; Clio recalled him being a tad more outspoken at the baths. The uncertainty of it all had to weigh heavily on his mind... but was that the only reason he was looking so downcast? She hoped he wasn't regretting having accepted her invitation to a drink, or feeling bored to death. 

Oh, she knew exactly what he meant when he described the woman. She lived with one herself, and one thing Clio had learnt over the years with her mistress was just how flighty such women's moods tended to be. Things could be sunshine and roses one instant, then fire and fury the next. Their unpredictability was what made them so fearsome. "Yup, I know," she nodded in commiseration. If the wheels of complaint had been set in motion, it was just as Helenus had said: he had no power to decide anything; but if he had been a model capsarius thus far, maybe his supervisor would take that into account and soften the blow if he could, or rather, if he wanted to.

His eyes finally met hers, and Clio smiled at him in encouragement. His question seemed to be more for confirmation than anything, as he'd probably have connected the dots after their previous encounter. "Correct. I've been with her for over two years now. She treats me well, I can't complain." Although she was speaking the truth, Clio was reluctant to share her domina's name right off the bat, though she couldn't quite put her finger on the reason why. She didn't think Annia Comna's name would be known to a thermae slave - though he might have heard of the Ludus Dacicus, if only in passing -, but if Helenus was more deceitful than Clio had been able to discern, knowing who to go to with blackmail in mind would have made the task even easier.

"She's a bit like the lady from your story. 'Beautiful but deadly'," she quoted, wondering for a split second just how deadly. Well, everyone had their own secrets, and those of Annia Comna were of no concern to Clio unless the woman wanted them to be. 

The hirsute barkeep came round at last and grumbled out an impatient "What'll it be?".

@Atrice

Of course Clio knew those kind of women, the wealthy and probably Senatorial ranked ones, who were as beautiful as if they were a goddess, but deadly like snakes. Helenus was quite sure the woman who found him in the women's bath was such a woman. It wasn't often he had anything to do with the women at all, he was supposed to stay in the men's section, so this was a rare occassion and it had been impossible to make her happy again.

So he decided to try and change the subject, because he already felt bad enough and didn't want to think more about the episode than he had already done. He should not have told her, but now he had. Still he tried to talk about something else, asking Clio about her life. She explained that she was indeed a body slave to her mistress and had been there two years now.

"I suppose that is good. I'd like to belong to just one person... instead of all of Rome." Helenus said, but that was not the case at the moment and he couldn't change it. If only he knew that sometimes you should be careful what you wished for. He paid attention to Clio again, who said her mistress was also beautiful and deadly.

"Is her husband a Senator?" Helenus asked curiously, but then they were interrupted by the barkeep and Helenus inhaled a breath, "Just wine for me, thanks. Do you want more to drink?" He asked Clio and opened the little leather purse than hung by his belt. He had brought as much as he dared and he fished up a few coins to give to the barkeep. But apparently he was still too nervous and somehow the coins fell to the floor instead. Helenus hurried to get down to his knees to pick them up and he reached them up to the man, "Here... sorry." He wasn't very good at this, was he? What ever made him think he deserved a woman like Clio?

@Liv

• Like 1

Clio was still nervous, overanalysing practically everything both she and Helenus said, but she wasn't yet sure if that was a bad thing. As a body slave, she tended to be hyper aware of her mistress's moods and subconsciously took note of all the tiny changes that came with them, but even in her own free time, she found it nigh impossible to turn off that part of her brain. The disadvantage of mingling with one she didn't know well, like the thermae slave, was that it was seldom clear which signs meant what, if they meant anything at all. With that in mind, Clio decided to stick to posca. Wine might dull her senses if she got carried away or overly excited.

"I could use a refill." She thrust the nearly empty cup at the servant and was about to hand it over when the sudden sound of metal clanging on the floor jolted her, almost making her drop the cup which would have rolled off the table and joined the coins. Unsure of what to do, Clio remained seated, looking at her hands while Helenus hurried to pick up his money. He probably felt embarrassed enough that her helping him with the coins would only make it worse. 

The hairy man took the coins and Clio's cup with a grunt and ambled away; he would be back soon. "It's all right. Did you get them all?" She spoke softly, hoping it would relay to Helenus how unimportant the blunder had been. Everybody, slave or senator, had surely dropped a coin or two in their lifetime. Talking while they waited for their drinks would also help to move on from the little incident.

"Nope, he's not," Clio replied, shaking her head in a teasing manner and dislodging a few tufts of black hair in the process. Despite her apparent gaiety just then, she didn't want to say too much about her dominus either; he was even more terrifying than his wife could be, and a lot less willing to forgive any transgressions whether involuntary or on purpose. But at the same time, she couldn't say too little either, because that might make Helenus curious and send him on a personal investigation. She'd have to share some tidbits and hide others, hopefully in a balanced way. "They're well-off, but they're not patricians." Maybe Helenus would assume they were some sort of rich merchants... which could be spun as truth, in a way. 

"What's so bad about being a public slave?" At least they didn't get sold that often.

@Atrice

• Like 1

If Clio was nervous, Helenus didn't notice - because he too was way too nervous to notice such a thing. At least now the barkeep had come to them and Helenus ordered some random wine, while Clio wanted a refill. Helenus would pay of course, but as he fumbled to do that, he made a show of his clumsiness and dropped the coins. Helenus hurried to pick them up and handed them to the barkeep, who took the coins and left. Clio said it was alright, but Helenus didn't know if it was.

"I think I got them." He replied, sitting back up on the bench and then Clio answered his question about her mistress. She said that her owners weren't of Senatorial rank and, but they were still well-off. So wealthy Romans. Well there were plenty of them, although even more of the less wealthy ones. She wondered why it was bad to be a public slave. Helenus chewed on his lip for a moment while thinking about how to explain it.

"I do have a superior, at the thermae. But I also kind of just belong to anyone, you know? So anyone can order me around. And they do. My superior at the thermae has connections and they make me..." He trailed off, he probably should not say too much... about how said connections also bossed him around, they made him steal, even though he didn't really like or enjoy it, but what else could he do?

"No matter what I do, it is right to someone but not to someone else. It is impossible to make them all happy. If I just had one owner... I think it might be easier, than trying to please everyone." He didn't know if that made sense to her, "But it is not up to me to decide anything. I just do what I'm told. We all do, don't we?" He asked and looked up as the barkeep appeared with a mug of wine for Helenus and a cup for Clio. He looked at her, she was so pretty, very pretty. Did she really like him? 

@Liv

• Like 1

"Good!" Clio replied energetically, bobbing her hand up and down. If Helenus' earnings were anything like hers, every single coin was precious, from a modest quadrans to a hard-won sestertius. Did he get tips from the richer patrons at the baths? Possibly, if they hadn't had their belongings rummaged through and valuables stolen. If they stayed long enough for another round, she decided, it would be on her. She had, after all, sent the invitation, and had the funds to buy a fellow slave a cup of wine or two.

Helenus' somber explanation resonated with her, sending a rare wave of pity through her chest. Attending to one master was trying enough at times, but Clio had never stopped to consider how the free patrons of the thermae might have assumed that their entrance fee also entitled them to use the capsarii as they saw fit. "I'd never really thought about that," she admitted in an undertone and intertwined her fingers. The part he had left unspoken was sadder still: being made to steal was debasing, even for a slave. Plenty of people divested others of their possessions of their own free will, but slaves had to do as they were told always, even if it went against their principles.

Yet the discovery brought a sliver of egotistical joy. If Helenus was forced to steal but did not really want to, then it must mean he was a good person. And spending time with a good person couldn't be so wrong, surely the gods would see it that way too? Even if her mistress did not. And could it really be so wrong, when it felt so comfortable?

"We do," Clio chuckled mirthlessly. "It's not like we have a choice." The barman returned with their order and placed both drinks on the table with his trademark grunt, then sauntered off to tend to another customer. She wet her lips with fresh posca and gazed thoughtfully at the cup. "One owner is more manageable, but I wouldn't call it easier. They can be really unpredictable, telling you to hop left one second and run right the next. And you can't pass them on to another slave unless they tell you to." Her voice grew more animated, drawing from random recollections of episodes with her domina. "And if they really do like you... it can be good, of course, but it can also be a little..." She looked at the ceiling, trying to come up with the right word. "Suffocating."

Yes, that described it well. Clio brought her eyes down and allowed them to stay trained on Helenus' handsome face. She gave him a tired smile. "But it's not like we have a choice. And compared to those poor souls at the mines, we shouldn't complain too much." But gods, how she wanted to complain about being a little more than a pretty doll.

@Atrice

• Like 1

When he explained to her how he belonged to anyone and anyone could order him around, she said she never thought about that before. Most people didn't, but that's just how it was. He couldn't do much about it, sadly, unless someone would decide to buy him off the empire and for themselves instead. And so far, those who had liked him still just saw him as a servant and slave at the thermae. Not someone they'd take with them home, no matter how hard he tried to please them. 

In the end, he just did what he was told. And Clio agreed that they didn't have a choice, because well, they didn't. Then their drinks appeared and Helenus picked up his too to taste it. Meanwhile Clio said that one owner wasn't easier, because they could change their minds and it could both be good and bad if they liked you. Helenus nodded quietly, "I can imagine, I think. It's never easy." At least not for him and Clio, it seemed. Then she looked at his face, again stating how they had no choice and at least they had it better than at the mines.

"You're right." Helenus said and took another sip of the wine, feeling he needed it. All this talk about how it was like where they lived didn't seem very cheerful. They should speak about something more cheerful, shouldn't they? 

Helenus set down his cup, looking at her... "Anyway... what do you like to do, when you're not serving your mistress or master? Except inviting a thermae slave out for a drink." He added with a small smile, attempting to lift the mood at least a little. 

@Liv

• Like 1

They commiserated over their shared woes in quiet agreement, and Clio took a swig of her drink. Was there ever a slave who had it 'easy'? There were so many more occupations and positions than what she herself was familiar with, and some of those might be pretty cushy. Perhaps slaves to the Imperial household had it easy? But no, surely their masters and mistresses could be demanding beyond belief. At the end of the day this was their lot in life as the gods had willed it to be, and from Clio's viewpoint the best thing one could do was learn to accept it and make the most out of it. From what he had shared thus far, she surmised Helenus to more or less think the same way. 

Good grief, she was going to sound like a stereotypical pretty slave, one of those vapid creatures whose interests in life consisted of playing up their own beauty and gossiping about the lives of others. Now skittishly aware that she needed to find better, more interesting pastimes, Clio flushed again. It was her turn to be embarrassed. "Um, I like to walk about the city. Check out the taverns. Visit temples. Go see if my favourite merchants have any new wares I can afford, like hair pins and bracelets and that sort of thing. Watch the games or races if I'm allowed." The former was a given as long as her domina was in attendance, but the latter was a far more occasional treat. She gave Helenus a shy smile and finished her little list with a humorous addition. "And invite a thermae slave out for a drink, of course."

"Do you get any free time at all? I imagine you're made to work until late at night..." Even when the baths were closed to patrons, there were sure to be plenty of tasks to be done: floors that needed wiping, water that needed cleaning, furnaces that needed feeding, and things she didn't even know existed. And now in particular, after that little incident with the fearsome woman, Helenus might have had some privileges revoked. Yet somehow he had found a way to meet her at the arranged time and place, and the realisation warmed Clio's heart. If he had bad intentions, he was a very thorough scoundrel; if he genuinely wanted to keep her company with no malevolent intent, then... Well, that was a much nicer prospect! Clio found herself smiling from ear to ear at the thought, choosing now to think of how silly she looked at that very moment.

"But supposing that you do, what do you like to do?" She turned the question back to Helenus, wondering if they had common ground somewhere. Did they pray to the same gods? Which chariot faction did he cheer for? Most bafflingly - why was she suddenly hoping for at least one favourable answer?!

@Atrice

• Like 1

Some slaves had good lives, he knew that. They belonged to friendly and kind owners who allowed them some freedom, paid them well and treated them well. And then there were those like Clio and Helenus. But he decided they should change the subject, talk about something more cheerful and the best he could come up with was asking what she liked to do. Clio blushed and then spoke of walking in the city and visiting temples and taverns and merchants. Apparently she also liked to go and see some of the entertainment Rome offered and he smiled at her last comment.

"I do get a little free time. But not much. And often I'm too tired to do anything." Helenus said, when she wondered if he had any free time. They worked shifts, of course, but they were long shifts and sometimes you had to cover for another to let them have time off or if they were sick or something. Just like someone covered for him now. He took a drink and watched Clio, who was now smiling very beautifully and wondering then what he liked to do.

"It's much the same as you, I guess. I take walks and visit temples and such. I don't often go to taverns though, or games or races. Is it a lot of fun?" He could not remember when he last did any of those things, so it must be a good while ago, "I like visiting the gardens, if I can walk around without being disturbed. I can't always. And it's weird if someone recognizes me from the baths." He added, feeling that he must be the most boring person and slave in all of Rome. But here they were and she had wanted to see him. Was it always this awkward when people were invited out? 

"Do you have a favorite temple?" Helenus then wondered, doing what he could to not create any awkward silence. 

@Liv

• Like 1