Titus fought the urge to snort when their host referred to Longinus as 'an interesting and handsome visitor' and instead took another sip of his spicy concoction; if he failed to contain himself anyway, at least he had the perfect excuse and could blame it on choking on the drink again. It might spell trouble for Nymphias' slave sister, but that mattered little to him. She had tried to poison him, so she deserved it - or that was how his muddled brain was deciding to view things.

He fought the same urge for the second time when Longinus bumbled his way through little Cassia's age, and took yet another sip. One child - one! - and he couldn't even remember her age. Titus shook his head in silence and made a mental note (that would surely end up forgotten in about half an hour) to elucidate his friend on the importance of dates for women. Birthdays, anniversaries, festivals, the day she first farted openly in his presence - they loved it when a man was able to remember all of these things and more. Compared to remembering every Gaius in a cohort as he'd once been pressed to, something of that calibre should be a piece of cake for Longinus.

The change in conversation topic was immensely more interesting, though perhaps a little less comical, but Titus felt a familiar wave of self-directed frustration as his friend spoke. He was in no condition to be discussing politics right now - in all honesty, in no condition to have left home -, but it would be foolish to pass up such a golden opportunity. He would simply have to do his best to perk up his ears and not make an even worse impression than he had already managed to. "You must be terribly busy all the time," he added, "and yet you still find enough hours in a day to welcome us into your home. Has the praetorship lived up to your expectations?"

@Atrice @Sara

• Like 2

Tertius had wondered if Longinus had no children at all so far, and the other mentioned that he did have a daughter and eventually recalled how old she was. Tertius smiled, "That's about the same age as my daughter... she's ten years old now. If you do drop by, by accident when Sergia is here, you could bring your daughter and ours could meet? I know my Antonia would be thrilled to make a new friend." Tertius said to the other man, knowing that children needed friends at their own age. She had some, of course, but he deemed that Longinus here would not be a bad ally to have, regardless of his choice of wife. 

Then Longinus changed subject, asking into Tertius job and he nodded to confirm he was indeed a praetor. Longinus would know more about it and Rufus then added how busy Tertius would be and it was surprising he had time for a lunch like this with them.

"I have been a Praetor for quite a long time now... so as you can imagine, I do enjoy it. I have trained quite a few newer Praetors too. I find it interesting, meeting both high and low in Rome and helping them decide on important matters as their judge. I enjoy working with the law and making sure everything happens accordingly." Tertius explained to the two men, "I am often busy, but luckily I am far from the only Praetor in Rome. And I have made many friends and connections over the years. So of course I always manage to find time to make more." He added with a friendly smile to the two men, holding up his wine for a silent toast and praise to them. When you had friends and connections, you could persuade someone to take some of your cases when needed. Of course he would repay that favor at some point.

"I can definitely recommend taking an office. Gives you something to do, while in Rome." He said after the sip of his wine. Tertius was not always good with sitting idly on his hands; he needed to do something, or he'd grow bored. Which made made him add: "You can't watch races and games or visit the baths all the time, after all." 

@Sara @Liv

• Like 1

Longinus smiled politely and nodded, "I'll definitely bring her. Senator Rufus' son is their age as well...we can just let chaos reign whilst the children play." He chuckled. Cassia hadn't given Publius, Titus' son, a roaring endorsement which had disappointed him but he supposed that was more to do with her grief and apathy to most things she used to find 'fun'. But as soon the conversation turned to Praetorship, he sensed his friends ears prick up and his own interest was piqued.

In truth, the work sounded like Longinus' idea of hell. Or at least purgatory. He was not a man that enjoyed administration or sitting through long orations. He was a man with boundless energy and enthusiasm that enjoyed the physicality of the military. Even the thought of a praetorship made him want to yawn, although he successfully managed to stifle it. But then again, it would only need to be a year and then he could move up in the world once he had it under his belt. The extraordinary circumstances that saw his promotion to legate, and de facto military leader of Britannia at aged twenty-one were long since passed and he couldn't expect such miracles this time around. He'd have to see it through, and besides, the sense of competition with his friend was an extra bonus. If he managed to secure a position and his friend didn't...well...he wouldn't let him live it down. Not that it was likely; Titus quite obviously had better connections given his brother, and was much better (even he could admit it!) with administration than Longinus.

"No, that's true." He grinned, "Much as I'd like to spend my days thus, it's about time I found something more admirable to occupy my time. Out of interest," He arched a brow at Tertius, "Was it difficult, to secure the nomination in the senate?1Longinus was an amiable man and counted a good number of those sitting senators as friends, but years absent in the legions and a particularly small family (which meant fewer connections through marriage) had inhibited his knowledge of who was worth knowing. Again, Titus might fair better. With a mischievous smile he inclined his head at Tertius and side eyed Titus; "Any tips would be greatly appreciated."

TAG: @Liv @Atrice

In the process of asking Chris if this is how Praetors were chosen (which we think was nominated by the Senate, approved by Caesar...but will edit if that's not the case).

• Like 2

A new friend for one of his children was always welcome when their family was as interesting an acquaintance as Tertius Quinctilius Varus. It couldn't hurt either to keep an eye on possible future matches for his son, even though the boy was at least another nine years away from carrying his bride over the threshold provided all parties involved survived until adulthood. "Publius is a little bit younger, he's only recently turned nine. Now he's moved on from his rock collection to marbles. If your daughters can handle that, I'm sure he'd be very happy to tag along." By some mercy of the gods, Titus managed that entire tirade without more than a hack. The slave's concoction with its boatload of pepper really must be having some effect - or maybe it was the honey smoothing over his poor sore throat.

But whilst talking about children was all fine and dandy, hearing what Varus had to say about the life of a praetor was far more interesting. Making friends and connections, as the other man put it, was a very nice bonus that came with the job - but Titus wondered to himself how many enemies the man had also made, from jealous senators to those simply not happy with Tertius' deliberations. If there were many such types, their host was magnanimous (or shrewd?) enough not to mention them. He returned Tertius' toast with a raised cup of his own and downed a bit more of the spicy cure-all. 

He nodded his agreement with the other two. "It's never a good idea to appear too leisurely." As enjoyable as the baths and races could be, a man needed more structure in his life than those activities could offer... and some accomplishments to boast of, too, whether acquired in actual battle or in the court system. Titus pointedly ignored the sidelong glance his friend flashed him and instead directed his full attention to Varus. He was obviously very curious about the answer to the question Longinus had just posed, but the gods damn him if he was going to let it show in front of his friend and Varus.

"How knowledgeable about law are you required to be?" Titus hoped the position did not require a level of expertise in jurisprudence close to Cicero's, because he was very far from having it - and all those jurists had to earn their keep somehow. Probably. If it was mostly paperwork and quick deliberations, then that would be no problem at all. A mental image of Longinus seated at a desk and involuntarily barricaded by a mound of scrolls up to head height crossed Titus' mind briefly, and he smirked wryly at his friend.

@Atrice @Sara

• Like 2

It was always good for a girl and soon a young woman to gain more friends, and he hoped that Antonia would get along with Cassia. He smiled at Longinus’ musing about letting chaos reign, “Now that would be interesting.” He laughed back and Rufus commented too, about his son, who had just turned nine and he spoke of the boy’s interests, “You could always bring him and we will see how they will do together. You never know what’s in the future for any of them.” After all, both Antonia and Cassia would someday need to find a husband, and well… Rufus had a son. Such connections were always good to remember!

The conversation moved on however, to talk of future careers and they were both curious about Tertius’ job as a praetor. He explained a little about it and how it was good to stay busy in Rome, as you could not spend all your time just having fun. Longinus agreed and said he ought to find something better to do with his time.

“The first time I stood to be elected, the times were quite different… and since I gained more experienced, it was not so difficult to secure the position.” Tertius explained to the two. Meanwhile also Rufus agreed that you should not appear too leisurely and wondered if you needed to be very knowledgeable about the law.

“You have to have the interest, certainly… and the will to study for a case, if you don’t know the law properly yet. It is a lot of work, especially in the beginning, but if you appear motivated and interested when you apply for the nomination, you may just get through with it.” Tertius said, “But of course, there are other offices to follow too. Or you could settle down and rely on the income from farms and so on, but I do enjoy having something to do as a Senator - other than sitting on a bench in the Senate, of course.” He added with a smile and reached for a bite to eat. He wondered if there were more things the two old friends wanted to discuss or if it was not best to send Rufus back to his bed at home. But he was not the kind to throw his guests out before they chose it.

@Liv @Sara

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 2

Longinus listened intently, with the patience he could muster. He was not a man known for enjoying sitting behind a desk or concerning himself with administration. It's why his mother had balked at the idea he had wanted a Praetorship in the first place. His Quastorship had hardly been an unrivalled success; Longinus finding the tasks monotonous and dull and not putting in nearly enough work as he probably should have done. This conversation was likewise not helping his passion for public service in the form of being a Praetor. Had he been a more honest man, he would have admitted such to Titus if not both of them; but he didn't want to lose face. 

He knew perfectly well how his exceptionally early promotions in the military had riled his closest friend, and he knew he'd be equally susceptible to jealousy should Titus advance up the ladder and end up as a Governor somewhere whilst he was stuck at home kicking stones because the idea of a promotion bored him. He'd just have to suck it up, he supposed. 

Casting an eye between the pair he arched a brow at Tertius, offering a good natured grin. "It sounds an impressive amount of work for sure," And none of it particularly interesting to him, "I'm not a man that likes to be inactive," Understatement of the century, "And I'm already finding myself bored and itching for something to do besides read accounts and correspondence. But one day I should think I'd like to return to the military." This was as much as he was willing to confess to Tertius, a perfect stranger, that a position as a Praetor was a necessary evil for him. Holding up his hands and reclining back on the couch he grinned across at Titus; "I've been stealing the conversation, I apologise. Titus - is there something you wish to speak of, or..." He arched a brow, "Does the sick man need his sick bed?" His lips twisted into a grin, as if in challenge.

TAG: @Liv @Atrice

• Like 2

In a faithful imitation of his friend, Titus too listened carefully, though he had no problem sitting still or remained as focused as his state allowed him for as long as Varus' explanation went on. It was what he had expected to hear: one didn't need to be an actual lawyer, but it would be wise to have some notions of due proceedings. He nodded in between sips, finally downing what was left of the tisane. By the last gulps, he had grown mostly immune to the mind-blowing amount of pepper in it.

Leaning back and waiting for the agricultural income to materialise and fund their lifestyle might be a life goal for a good number of senators, but as far as Titus was concerned, few things could be as unbearably dull. Wait a number of years for a tree to bear fruit, harvest produce only a few weeks a year, and being entirely reliant on adequate weather, competent works and unblighted crops... Honest and necessary work, but so, so dull. Too slow-paced. Duller than poring through treaties on law and past verdicts; those were, if nothing else, a finite quantity. And not too different from reading intelligence reports or tellings of past war encounters - perhaps a little drier in form, but not entirely unrelated. He turned to face Longinus with a malicious smirk. "Maybe as much work as preparing a campaign, just a different kind of battle." A more civilised one, many would argue. But exactly how much paperwork Longinus would have gone through each time in preparation for various moves was anybody's guess - and Titus' guess was probably not a lot. He knew his friend favoured swift action above many things.

"How very noble of you to finally show some consideration and sympathy, dear friend." Titus' tone was jocose, but inwardly he was appreciative of the lull in the conversation. His concentration was waning and he felt he wasn't able to get as much out of the encounter as he should. Probably best to sleep off this bloody fever and try again another day - maybe under the guise of bringing Publius for a play date. He gave Varus a sheepish, apologetic look. "As much as it vexes me to admit it, good Longinus here is right. I do hope I won't offend you by retreating earlier..." Titus cast Longinus a quick, wry glance, but its impact was minimised by a sudden coughing fit, as if to emphasise his earlier statement. "Do feel free to carry on without me, though."

@Atrice @Sara

• Like 2