To Charis, slave of Tertius Quinctilius Varus

Sharpie

To Charis, from your friend Rufus, greetings!

I trust this finds you well. I have some good news to report: I have found your sister Ardra. She is known as Nymphias and is a slave in the household of Titus Sulpius Rufus, a senator. I have no news yet of your mother or brother, but your sister wishes you well and hopes that you will both be able to meet very soon.

I will keep looking for your mother and brother and hope that I will be able to send you news of them soon.

The above missive was sent scratched into the wax of a cheap plain wooden wax writing tablet, in script on one leaf and capitals on the other.

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
Wrong one of the Terrible Two!
  • Like 1

The tablet was returned, and its script bore the distinct marks and errors of somebody barely literate. Still, what parts were legible were as below: 

To dear frne friend Rufus from Charis, 

Rufus I can not tell you what this mean to me. I can not tan thank you enugh. [Illegible few words]. How she look? She un unharm? She happy? She alijy alrigt? I think I no name of owner, he come to domus in few day to meet domine. I speak to domine about meet her.

I hope see you soon, I keep luk looking for Bretta for you. 

THANK YOU. 

Charis

• Like 1

To Charis, from your dear friend Rufus, greetings!

I am very glad my news was so welcome. She looked well, she looks like you except with yellow hair (Rufus was not at all sure that Charis knew the word 'blonde' and erred on the side of caution. Also, why Nymphias had not been named 'Flavia' was anyone's guess!) and is maybe a bit taller. She is well, and I think she is more happy now that she knows you are here and safe. She asked if you had a child now and I had to say no, so that made her sad, I think, but she is happy that you are well.

I hope that you are able to meet her, it will be much better than having to go via me.

Be well, I hope I can see you soon.

Rufus

@Sara

• Like 1