Just in case

Chevi

She was right. Gods was she right. At this point it was impossible to say when they'd both developed these feelings, but none of that mattered now. The pit that had existed in his stomach just before he'd risked it all had long since disappeared and been by the ecstasy of life in that moment. How lucky he'd been; how lucky they'd both been to end up here.  

"The moment was never right..." He'd say, holding her hand against his face. "I should get wounded more often." 

He'd said it almost entirely in jest, but he could get used to this sort of treatment after a battle. Everything would change now. Everything had to change! For the longest time he'd dreaded the idea that someday soon he might need to spend the time courting a lady of some high status that only cared about the contents of his purse, not the contents of his character. With Aia... Well, all of those fears were washed away. They'd been as close as close could be for so many years, but the opportunity to push things further had always seemed far out of reach. If one fact remained true in life, it was the time always brought change. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Aia couldn't really fault Decimus for not making a move sooner. Hell, she didn't even realize she wanted him to make a move until about five minutes earlier. As much as she cared for him, as the most important person in her life, she never considered herself as someone he'd... have those feelings for. She always thought he deserved someone amazing, and now here they were, and apparently the idiot wanted her. Of all people.

"The moment was never right... I should get wounded more often."

Aia wrinkled her nose at him.

"Bite your tongue, Decimus. This was bad enough." she glanced down at his injured shoulder between them. It was properly bandaged, but it had to have hurt like hell, especially with him moving his arm around. Not that she minded his touch on her skin. Aia wiggled, trying to find a better position, then gave up with a sigh and swung a leg over him, straddling his lap so they could be face to face, without him leaning on his injured side. She looked down at him with a grin. "Better?"

@Sains

• Like 1

Smiling as she dismissed his plans, Decimus was happy to lay back into the bed after a few moments. Leaning on his arm like he had been was definitely not going to work out, but that was the price he paid for riding so brazenly into the unknown. For Aia, though, he was more than prepared to bear the pain if it meant their locking lips for a few more beautiful minutes. In fact he was getting ready to bear that pain once again and turn back onto his side, but at the feeling of her wiggling he stopped and tried to see what she was getting up to. It became quite clear once he felt her leg swing over his own. Just like that she sat atop his lap, grinning down at him with that warm smile he'd been dreaming of. 

"Better?"

Gods, he'd not been prepared for this. That simple question was enough to make the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end. Even his breath quickened for a few moments while he tried to process what was happening. If someone had told him he'd be here with Aia in this position, he'd have laughed it away as soon as he'd heard it. Why did she just have to be some damn perfect?

"Much." he'd affirm after a short laugh. "Seems as if I've been trapped..." 

She wouldn't have to wait long for a sign of his approval, his good hand soon finding a new home against the small of her back, and then against her rear. 

@Chevi 

• Like 1

It was the practical thing to do, taking the pressure off of Decimus' arm. With that said, once she was on top of him, Aia was quickly discovering additional benefits to this new position, smiling down at him. His face spoke volumes, and so did the breath that caught in his throat. 

"Much. Seems as if I've been trapped..." 

"Well, you are definitely not going anywhere" she chuckled, leaning down to kiss him again. She was still wrapping her mind around having the freedom to do this, to be close to him and kiss him, after she'd almost watched him die a few hours before. His good hand wandered to her back, and then down. She chuckled, tilting her hips against him. There was friction between her legs, and she hummed against his lips in enjoyment. She rested a hand on his chest, careful to avoid his injuries. 

@Sains

• Like 1

And there was no place he'd rather be. As their lips locked once more, Decimus closed his eyes and allowed his mind to revel in the pleasure. For all the battles and excitement he'd experienced in his life, Mars had never given him something so wonderful. It was not only the sensation of her lips, but the warmth of her chest pressed against him, the subtle hints of the oils that she'd washed with after their most recent brush with death, and the short glimpses of fiery red hair that dominated his view whenever he opened his eyes for a moment to be sure that this was not yet another elaborate dream.

His hand had abandoned its neutral presence long ago, soon caressing its way up and down the length of her thigh and rear. Her own soft hums of enjoyment were complemented by the rhythmic breathing that flared his nostrils as their lips met again. The feeling of her hand on his chest told him that she was being gentle, if only to avoid slipping and pressing against his wound. That damned arm! The roaring passion in his heart would have seen him climbing atop her if he knew he wouldn't be met with the fiery sting of that thief's handiwork. 

All the same, life was still much better than it had been a few hours ago. Perhaps it was the aura of the night where boundaries had been broken by both sides, or perhaps it was a thoughtless action brought on only by the heat of lust, but soon enough Decimus's hand would glide further up the inside of her thigh than before, and then a little further after that. He was beyond caring if anyone should walk in and observe. Hell, he didn't even know if the Emperor could stop him at this point.

@Chevi

• Like 1

Decimus settled under her; she could tell his shoulder was still hurting, as he limited his movements to his good hand, which was, by the way, doing things that she was greatly enjoying. She wondered how things would be different if he hadn't been injured, but for now, she did not mind being on top of him at all.

They kissed with passion, like two people who should have been kissing a long time ago. She enjoyed his warmth, his touch, and the breath he took when she moved, making her smile against his lips. She kissed down his jaw and nuzzled his neck, enjoying her freedom of movement. His hand slid up her thigh, and warmth pooled in her lower body, making her hum again, tilting her hips into his touch. There were things she didn't even know she wanted to do, with him.

She finally broke away from the kissing, resting her forehead against his, catching her breath.

"Decimus..." she chuckled, bringing one hand to his face again "As much as I'd love to have my way with you... I'm worried if we go on like this you're gonna pass out again..."

@Sains

• Like 1

In the heat of passion it was a bit difficult for the guardsman to pull away from her lips, but he soon brought his hand back down her leg as she'd spoken, clearly concerned for his health. He wanted to deny it. He wanted to say that he'd never felt stronger, but even with pull of lust he couldn't quite shake the dizziness that left a haze over his mind even now. It seemed that having these sorts of interactions after being stuck like a pig and bled for a few hours wasn't a sound strategy. With that in mind, he couldn't care less if he'd pass out again. At least he'd have some good memories before he went under...

"Me?" he'd say, a mocking scowl draped across his face, "I'd actually had the same concern for you."

That look remained only for a few moments before he broke into a knowing smile. That hand, the good one, would continue its travels up and down the length of her thigh, but he was content to sit there while she mulled over his words, bold as they were. Something in him wished the night could go on forever. The prospect of having to wake up and deal with the fallout of this whole disaster was not one he was too keen on living through. Right now the troubles of the outside world were all perfectly mute, and although he knew that they'd have to be careful about how they came together after this, at least they were both finally being honest with each other.

@Chevi

• Like 1

Decimus was willing to keep going like the brave soldier he was, but Aia could tell the excitement was taking a toll on him. With her hand on his cheek, it was obvious in the light of the lamp that he was still quite pale, almost as much as her own light Celtic skin, which was not a good sign. As much as she wanted to see how far they would go, she also did not want to kill Decimus in the process, just as they finally got to the good part.

"Me? I'd actually had the same concern for you."

"Ooh" she chuckled, grinning at him "Big words, praetorian. I'll hold you to them." She leaned in and kissed him more gently this time, first on the lips and then on the forehead. What a wonderful man. She slid to his good side a little, still half draped over him as she settled, resting her head on his god shoulder.

"We are not walking back from this, Decimus." she promised "At least... I don't want to. And once you are healed, I want all of this. All of you."

@Sains

• Like 1

He could only smile at her assurances as she sled down to his side and let her head rest on his shoulder. It was an incredible feeling, really. For all this time he'd been wandering around with Aia he'd never been able to clearly say how he felt about her. She was one of his closest friends, perhaps his closest, and he'd never been given one reason to doubt her. Would they really have everything that they wanted now? How would they get on with this new and exciting life? All of the things that seemed like they could be pushed off onto the horizon seemed so close suddenly; most of all a home. 

"Well then, the sooner the better."

He was content to let her lay there for the rest of the night if she chose. At some point she might well want to slink back through the darkness to her own room, though. If not for the fact that Flavia would probably have a cow if she found them together like this, then just to keep things tastefully quiet until they could formally be together. Fundamentally there was nothing wrong with their being together. He might not be some high-strung politician with a villa on the coast but he wasn't any slouch either. And she?.. Well... She was a fine young woman who'd not yet been married and was very much available to anyone who should choose to ask. Oh, there would be whispering; there always was. 

"As much as I hate to say it, you might want to head back for the night... If Flavia saw this..." he trailed off. 

Of course he didn't want to see her go, but the amount of yelling that would result from a simple sleepover didn't seem to be worth it. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Well then, the sooner the better."

"The sooner the better" she echoed with a chuckle, nuzzling his neck. She was comfortable at his side, with her leg and arm draped over him; he was warm, for one, and he was also the one mad she'd ever wanted to be this close to. She really hoped his injury would heal fast, and heal well. Apart from wanting to sleep with him like some harlot, she also knew he couldn't go back to serving as a bodyguard until he could move again. And Claudia would want him back, for sure.

They lay in silence for a while, enjoying each other's company. Knowing it couldn't really last forever. 

"As much as I hate to say it, you might want to head back for the night... If Flavia saw this..."

"She would lose her mind" Aia grinned against Decimus' shoulder. He was not wrong, but she also really did not want to go just yet. "How scandalous. Bodyguard of imperial princess found in bed with tutor of imperial children. Claudia would be thoroughly embarrassed for employing such a loose man."

@Sains

• Like 1

Decimus could do little more than roll his eyes and smile at the thought that it should come to that. They could laugh about it all they liked right there in the safety of that bedchamber, but if Flavia happened to walk in just then there would almost certainly be hell to pay. Despite this, he couldn't bear to see her go just yet. Their love for each other had existed long before he'd drawn up the courage to kiss her. It may have been a different kind of love for the both of them until tonight, but after their lips had met it was if they'd leaped some great barrier. It was only natural that all they really wanted to do was celebrate. 

"I'd be stripped of my post..." he'd begin, wrapping his arm around her back to draw her close against him, "probably tossed out of the army or worse..." he'd continue, looking at her with a fiendish grin, "And then you'd be the wife of quite a highwayman." 

He'd end the charming little narrative with a kiss to her forehead, chuckling as much as he might without making too much noise. It was really in both of their interests that Flavia didn't happen to wake up that night, though he was far more worried about the talk of the slaves that surely still lingered in the halls doing... well... slave things! 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Decimus wrapped his good arm around her and Aia snuggled close, enjoying the warmth and how well she fit at his side. She knew she could fall asleep like this. It would be a terrible idea, but she would.

They both chuckled at the idea of someone in the house finding out they were sharing a bed. What a scandal.

"I'd be stripped of my post... probably tossed out of the army or worse... And then you'd be the wife of quite a highwayman." 

"Yes, because the legions kick men out so often for sleeping with someone." Aia deadpanned, then chuckled softly as he kissed her forehead. She felt all warm, and as funny as the idea of Decimus as a highwayman was, it was not the part that made her feel like that. "Who said I'd marry you if you were a highwayman? I have standards." she grinned into his shoulder. She really didn't, not when it come to marriage, because she never considered it before. But still. 

@Sains

• Like 1

"Oh? And here I was thinking you were the same scoundrel of a girl I'd met in the camps!"

Decimus rolled his eyes at the thought she'd turn down his hypothetical marriage proposal. What woman could resist such an offer? A life on the open road, the fresh air filling your lungs everyday, what wasn't too love? On a more serious note, however, he didn't believe for a second that anything truly horrible would happen once they were open about themselves. It wasn't as if there were some great power keeping them apart now. Before it had been different, of course. If Aia'd revealed herself back in the days of the legions... Well... It wouldn't have gone over smoothly. The fact that they'd sometimes shared a tent wouldn't have set well with the higher-ups either. No, the fact that they were finally together as man and woman meant that so many more things were possible. Though, unfortunately, it seemed that the more enjoyable aspects of this new relationship would have to wait.

"I guess I should start looking for a place again... That man, what was his name?.. Stilicho! He was good to me, i'll ask for his advice." he'd say, more or less gauging her reaction. "Got to find a place nice enough for you and your standards... We'll even fill it with glass bowls and things."

That'd be nice enough if they could manage it. He doubted she had any great passion for riches beyond their means, but on his pay alone they could certainly afford a few luxuries; one of the more constant gifts of guarding the palace. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Oh? And here I was thinking you were the same scoundrel of a girl I'd met in the camps!"

"Who? Me?" Aia glanced up rom his shoulder batting her eyelashes. They were a long, long way from Britannia, in more ways than one. It was amusing to think about. She was living as a woman, for one, and not as a soldier anymore. He was a praetorian now, and she was a tutor to imperial children. And they were definitely not just best friends anymore. Aia still did not feel like a proper Roman woman, but she also did not mind.

"I guess I should start looking for a place again... That man, what was his name?.. Stilicho! He was good to me, i'll ask for his advice. Got to find a place nice enough for you and your standards... We'll even fill it with glass bowls and things."

Aia lifted her head from his shoulder to look at him, this time with a mix of amusement and wonder, her cheeks flushed again. Decimus was definitely taking all this in stride, making plans as if this was the most obvious and natural thing in the world. To be fair, it felt like that to her too.

"Decimus, is that your way of asking me to be your wife?" Gods, it sounded so strange, said out loud like that. Aia had never imagined herself as anyone's wife before. "Would they even allow you to marry before your service is up?" Aia had lived in the camps long enough. She knew many soldiers had lovers, wives, even families outside the camps, but none of those were official by Roman law, except for a few special cases. Some of them lasted long enough to marry after the service was up. A lot of them didn't. A lot of them were fine with that, but no one ever asked the women and the children. Not that Decimus would ever do something like that.

@Sains

• Like 1

Words like "Wife" and "Marry" always had an effect on Decimus. Usually they'd made him shut up and become annoyingly evasive, but now it seemed that he was just confused. He'd never truly thought he would find anyone for him in Rome, but he had and he couldn't rightly think of what to do.  

"Oh well... It's complicated." He'd begin, raising a brow in thought. "I don't think they would normally, no. But if we both, well, wished it..." 

He trailed off. Was this it? Was he really suggesting they get married in here of all places? Of course he hadn't ever really thought much about where he would propose marriage to anyone, let alone Aia. There were worse places to do it, to be sure, but he doubted she'd mind if he was keen on making the suggestion tonight. 

"I'm sure I could speak with -er.... Claudia."

The sentence sounded as stupid floating between them as it had in his head. Why would he even consider asking? Barring the fact that it was completely irregular and utterly inappropriate, he'd never think to impose on her like that. All at once he felt like he had to justify it. He couldn't make a camp wife out of Aia. For one thing it would only cause problems with the lady of the house, and well... He didn't want to do it to her. They'd both heard the stories of the children left behind by careless legionaries and  they'd sworn time and time again that when they'd found their own lovers they'd never let it happen. Though those conversations had certainly aged in an odd way, they both certainly felt the same.

"I mean I took an arrow for her, I should at least be able to ask! 'Be a bit awkward if she says no, though. How do you feel?"

Surely she'd have some wise words to share. She was usually the brains of the operation anyways.

@Chevi

Edited by Sains
  • Like 1

Decimus looked like he was caught unprepared by her question. Aia chuckled, tilting her head as she looked at him curiously. Was he really suggesting marriage? Not that she was angry at him for it or anything, just... she was still trying to catch up to the fact that she was draped over him in bed, and thoroughly enjoying it.

"Oh well... It's complicated. I don't think they would normally, no. But if we both, well, wished it... I'm sure I could speak with -er.... Claudia."

He would have to. If anyone could put in a good word for them, both with the praefect of the guard and Flavia Juliana (before she started breathing fire at  hearing the news), it was the princess. Having gone through the attack together had to count for something, right? Claudia seemed like a nice person. And if they all said no, well, that was not going to stop Aia from seeing Decimus in secret, just like she had been all this time.

"I mean I took an arrow for her, I should at least be able to ask! 'Be a bit awkward if she says no, though. How do you feel?"

Aia smiled, bringing a hand to his cheek again.

"Decimus, you are a wonderful man. Brave, and kind, and honest... I think I could do worse than you." she grinned, leaning down to press a kiss to his lips. She was never going to get tired of this. "Are you sure you don't want a... more decent wife, though?" They did talk about it before. Gods, she even tried to help him find one. In retrospect, it all seemed so amusing...

@Sains

• Like 1

The familiar feeling of her lips against his own only convinced him that his suggestion was the right course of action. How could he live being restricted from her embrace any longer? For so many years he'd felt the tug of empty lonliness eat away at his soul until he'd redsicovered Aia in the eternal city. How fortunate he'd been. Surely the gods loved him, or they'd have never provided such a fine girl for him to marry. He scoffed at the suggestion that he'd have preferred anyone more decent than her. She was perfect. Utterly perfect. Her outlook on life, the way she cared for him like a guardian angel, the way that her soft warmth clung close to him... Ir was almost more than he could bear.

"Aia... You are the most perfect  being that Mars could have given me... I'd be scourged and crucified before I gave you up."

And he meant it. Life without Aia? Well, that was simply life without meaning. Of course he'd made it all this way without seeing her for some time, but as he'd come to know her again he knew that life without her was impossible. 

"Besides... You could find far better men than me." He'd claim, bringing that same good hand of his back against her rear, stroking it up and down her leg so that he might tease her further. Just because she felt like being merciful on his wounded body didn't mean he might have a little bit of fun.

@Chevi

• Like 1

She had to ask. Decimus was not in his right mind, but then again, neither was she. It had been a whirlwind of a say, followed by a whirlwind of a night, and no one could fault either of them for being a little dizzy from all the kissing and touching they had done. Somewhere in the back of her mind Aia knew there would be consequences to this too, just like there were for their outing. And she wanted to make sure Decimus meant what he said, before she allowed herself to be very happy about it.

"Aia... You are the most perfect  being that Mars could have given me... I'd be scourged and crucified before I gave you up."

Aia felt herself blush again as she broke into another bright smile. She had been honest when she said she never imagined someone looking at her like that. She knew for a fact she was not perfect... but it was nice to hear it anyway.

"Besides... You could find far better men than me." 

"No. I really couldn't." Aia smiled softly, looking at Decimus for a long moment. He then proceeded to run his hand up her thigh again, which made her chuckle, and snuggle back to his shoulder. They could have a few more minutes for him to make up for all the pain earlier that day.

"It's settled, then." she noted "We need to ask the princess if she'd get you permission to marry. And if she doesn't... then we are going to have a sordid love affair until you are done with your service."

@Sains

• Like 1

Gods it felt good to hear her say that. Of course he couldn't think of anything else that she might have said to him at that moment. Whatever arose from this would almost certainly be problematic, maybe even painful at first, but as he held her tightly against his weary form with his one good arm, he felt as though he could weather any storm that the powers of Rome could stir up for them. The princess might well turn out to be that very storm. He began to wonder and scheme about how he might seek to address her about it. Any time they were alone, he supposed, but if she reacted badly he didn't want to have to stick around for too long. Well... If she didn't he'd suspect she wouldn't want to keep him around for too long anyways. 

"Well... I'd say we should wait until things calm down a bit. There's nothing that would help to stir the pot more than to ask her while this mess is being sorted out."

He hoped that it wouldn't be too long, maybe a few days at most. After things had calmed down, well, it would just be a matter of bringing up the topic when nothing else was going on. There were plenty of opportunities where that was the case, especially on particularly lazy days in the palace where he'd often engaged in conversation with the princess on many subjects that weren't particularly 'business' related. 

"'Sides... sordid love affairs make for some exciting moments. Will we meet in that pantry again? Get a leg over on a sack of grain?"

He was teasing her now. He doubted she'd like to have their first encounter in a musty old pantry, but he certainly hoped he wouldn't have to go without seeing her again for a very long timg; it was part of the reason that he hoped she wouldn't leave at that moment. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Were they really going to get married? It was a strange thing to think about. Being Decimus' wife, she liked that idea, but being a wife in general... was something she'd never considered. Gods only knoew how this was going to go. Gods, and maybe Claudia. 

"Well... I'd say we should wait until things calm down a bit. There's nothing that would help to stir the pot more than to ask her while this mess is being sorted out."

"Makes sense" Aia sighed. Suddenly, waiting was the worst part of it all. She didn't like waiting, and she did not want to wait to find out how their future would unfold, at the mercy of Roman law and customs. But after he almost died for her, Aiai hoped Claudia would be willing to help them.

"'Sides... sordid love affairs make for some exciting moments. Will we meet in that pantry again? Get a leg over on a sack of grain?"

"Don't be daft" she chuckled at the idea. The time when they met again, and had a long talk in the pantry, seemed far away now, but it was still a memory she was fond of. Not a very solid plan for getting intimate, though. Sack of grain, indeed. "We have already rented a room in a popina without anyone batting an eye. We'll find our way to an actual bed to get a leg over." An actual bed, and a whole lot of alone time. "Get some sleep, Decimus. I expect you to get better really fast."

@Sains

• Like 1