He smiled at first when she scolded him for calling her mistress, but then he bowed his head as a dutiful slave, "Of course, Domina." He said, but there was still a smile playing at his lips. It fell though when it also fell on her face... when he'd mused about what would have happened to her brother and she then remembered what he was like. She said her brother had practiced fighting with her husband and then the Romans had come - and she had feared they would. Well it would seem her brother and husband should have listened to her... but that was too late now.

Tertius thought though, with her explanation, that her brother might have been chosen for gladiator. It sounded like he had the proper build and attitude for it. His thoughts went back to Charis though, when she shifted to rest across his chest and he folded an arm around her. This was very comfortable. Sometimes he'd lie like this with Hector and while he was sexy as he was too, he did not have Charis' curves... and they felt very nice against his own naked body.

Charis continued talking then, musing about her family and if they would recognize her and she said they hated the Romans and then seemed to think they'd think less of her, for what she was and what she did now. Tertius looked at her, he could hear by her tone that she was upsetting herself and she brushed her eyes... was she crying? Oh gods... this he had not anticipated! She excused herself and he thought it over quickly.

"You're not being silly. I... made you remember. Maybe I should not have done that." He said, it was indeed his mistake, was it not? 

"And don't worry about what they'll think of you. They are not here. You have a new life now and they have no control over you anymore." But he did, over most her anyway, although he had not yet found out how to get her to stop keeping secrets from him. This however, did not seem to be lies at all. Maybe it would be a bad idea to look for her brother after all, if he hated the Romans so and saw his sisters enslaved and inferior, what would her brother do then? He would hate the Romans more and that would not be useful, if he was alive and enslaved too. Tertius sighed, maybe they should talk about a more cheerful subject, but what? And would she forget that he had made her remember... doubtfully. This really had been a mistake, talking about these things!

@Sara

• Like 1

She sniffed back the tears and wiped whatever had fallen on the back of her hand. She felt stupid both for showing this emotion at all in front of him, and for what she was doing. What would Immin say, if he could see her now - curled up in a lovers embrace with his most detested of enemies after an evening of wine and sex? She didn't doubt that he'd thrash her to within an inch of her life, even though he had never raised a hand against her previously. 

She wanted to snap back, or rather mewl back in her upset state, that the fact they had no 'control' over her anymore wasn't a comfort, given she no longer had any real control over herself any more. She did her work and attended her master all at his whims. He could take away any of it in an instant; she would far prefer to be under the thumb of an overly protective, idiot husband right now than him. But she didn't say as such, knowing there would be punishment at the other end of her words if she did. Instead she stayed quiet, trying to calm herself down and knowing that the more upset she got, the worse his mood would be. There, she supposed, was a similarity at last; men the world over, British, Dacian, Roman - none of them knew how to handle a crying woman. 

Still feeling melancholy she took a deep sip of her wine, finding the cup empty. With a weak smile she turned her face to look up at him; "More wine, slave?" But her voice sounded hollow, upset. Pushing a few strands of hair behind her ear as he fetched it, she studied him, her eyes finally drying from their tears. "Do you think it will be like this forever?" She mused, out loud but also to him but in a disinterested sort of way, she didn't really care for his reaction either way, "That I get upset when I think of them? I suppose seeing Ardra will help," She picked the skin around her nail, anxious, "Just to make sure she's alright." She confirmed before adding, "I'm only twenty-one I suppose," A dark little laugh broke her lips, "I'll probably live two more lifetimes as a slave than I ever lived free, maybe it will get easier."

TAG: @Atrice

• Like 1

Tertius was terrible at comforting crying women... except his sister, of course, but that was his sister and not every other way too feminine and delicate woman in Rome. Charis had so far been good, or so he thought, at adapting to her new life and he had enjoyed spending time with her in various ways, both here in bed and when he taught her reading and writing. But this... he had not seen it coming, that she would cry and he was at a loss here. This was maybe why he had not remarried and why he had bedded so few women... this never happened with a male lover! 

Meanwhile, as he was thinking, Charis wiped her tears away and reached for her wine. Tertius quietly watched her, hoped he had said the right things, while silence had fallen between them. Charis then finally looked at him, saying she wanted more wine and Tertius nodded, "Of course, Domina..." He said and shifted to reach for the jug of wine and pour some for her (and for himself, now he was at it). 

While he poured wine, Charis wondered if she would always get upset when she thought about her family and then she thought seeing her sister might help. She added that she would spend more of her life as a slave than free and Tertius sighed, handed her the cup of wine and then he sat back after taking a good sip of his own.

"I... don't know what to say." He replied, because honestly, he didn't! He did not make a habit out of freeing his slaves, actually Teutus might be the first he had ever done it with. He did not plan on freeing Charis, but seeing her in such a state and telling him how long she'd live as a slave... did put it all in a certain perspective. 

"Hopefully it will get better. I don't know what else to say." He had tried telling her that she should forget about her former life, but just telling her to give it up and move on... probably would not help much either. It was rare Tertius didn't know what to say. Tonight it would seem he was out of control in more than one way. He hated not being in charge of the situation, because then he didn't know what to do. Charis made him speechless. Maybe someone should give her a medal for that.

@Sara

• Like 1

That she had rendered him speechless was surprising, and as she wiped at the drying tear stains on her face she considered that this might be the first time since she'd been with him that he'd been without words. It was unnerving, and she didn't know whether it was a good or a bad thing. Maybe it would make him see her more wholly, not just as an object of pleasure or servitude. Conversely, of course, his quietness was irritation that she still hadn't settled as he'd bidden her to. 

Deciding to err on the side of caution she turned watery - but mercifully now drying eyes - up at him and offered him a gentle smile. "It will get better." She affirmed with a nod and sipped at her wine, now heavy and cloying in her mouth and as it slipped down her throat. 

With her free hand she reached down to squeeze his forearm tenderly and willed him to look at her. Better safe than sorry? "As long...as long as you promise you care...care about me? I don't need you to say anything else." Bold, perhaps, but surely not unwarranted? Tonight of all nights? Surely after months of taking to his bed, lying by his side as he slept, caring for his daughter and being there for him - against her will granted - but there nonetheless. If none of that led to him caring about her...what hope was there?

• Like 1

This was turning into an odd and awkward situation once more. Really the night was not going as planned. First they had their discussion and then they had enjoyed each other and been well satisfied after, both of them... but now Charis was in tears, or she had just been and Tertius didn't know what to say. Because of Saturnalia, the game was that he was her slave, but he was more out of control than he would have been just with that game. She had been free, but she was not and she'd spend most of her life as a slave.

He tried to justify it all, in his mind. It wasn't his fault she was a slave - it was... the people that captured her, other Romans, that he didn't even know. And maybe it was her brother and her husband's fault too, it sounded like that at least, but it was definitely not Tertius' fault. He had just purchased a slave, as he had done many times before and he had not expected this one would be any different from the rest. But she was.

Charis looked up at him after those odd silent moments from them both, she gave him a smile and said it would get better. Would it? She touched his arm and Tertius did look at her, while she wanted him to promise he would care about her. Gods, she wanted that? But did she care about him? Caring about a slave was dangerous. Teutus was different than the rest, that was his son and he did care about him, in his own and strange way. And there had been Anteros, his body slave, all those years ago. But he sold him, as a rare case, because he had begun to care too much for the slave. He also enjoyed Hector a lot, but did he care about him? He wasn't sure. 

Tertius sighed, taking a good sip from his drink and then looked at her again, "Would that really help? It would not change your... situation." Tertius said and thought about their talk earlier, and how he thought they'd grown closer, but she was still keeping things from him. She had promised she would be honest with him from now on, but would she, really? 

"Perhaps if we are more honest with each other. I never wanted to make your life here difficult, Charis. You know that all I want is loyalty and honesty." He assumed she did, anyway... "If you give me that, then maybe things will be better. If you will let them be." Gods what was he getting himself into?

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis eyed him and nodded, quietly, to herself. "It would help." She admitted. It would help because she would know that spreading her legs, play acting the dutiful, meek, happy slave was for something. Because his affection could lead to freedom, and freedom could lead her home. But he wasn't to know that and instead, she added in a quiet but hopeful voice; "Because I care about you.Flattery was the downfall of many. 

That he didn't say yes, or admit he cared for her even a little was a blow but she effectively managed to mask the upset. She had thought, naively perhaps, that the increased frequency in which he took her to his bed and the little lessons he doled out as he taught her to be literate meant he was growing soft on her. But in reality, it was crushing to learn that he likely considered her as he did a fine horse or a particularly beautiful side table; useful and nice to have around, but replaceable. How naive she had been to think it was any different. Still, such a revelation wasn't entirely unexpected, instead she resolved to work harder. She'd seen his mask slip a handful of times; that day in the Gardens of Sallust, his concern for her after her beating, the lessons he gave...she suspected deep down, she could turn this around. She'd just have to be patient, and more resolved. 

"I swear to you I will be Tertius." She squeezed his forearm and offered a smile, light and breezy as if she were his lover - curled in his side and content. "I don't want to keep things from you." That was half-true. She knew Hector, and perhaps Teutus in the future would be her shadow; telling him things she was trying to hide. She needed something to make him trust her, and resolved to start small. Maybe an honest truth about Jocasta's poor behaviour, or Phaedo's sticky fingers with his spare change. She felt unease in the pit of her stomach - Teutus had warned her not to tell tales, but what other way was there to earn his trust? She'd tried sleeping with him, acting the part, and it wasn't working. She needed a new way, but resolved to think on it a while longer before she acted. 

Instead, she curled closer to him and sipped her wine. "Why don't we talk about happier things?" She asked with a feline grin as she let the coverlet slip a little around her to reveal the gentle curve of her waist and hip. Let him remember just why he likes me so much, to get rid of any bad thoughts he has over this silly crying. "Now Teutus is freed, and you have your son, you must be thrilled." 

• Like 1

If you cared about slaves, you'd put them on a pedestal and treat them better than the rest, despite that they had the same rank, basically, in society. If you cared about slaves, they might take advantage of your care and begin demanding things they should not. If you cared about slaves, they might end up controlling you... there were so many reasons why he should not care about a slave, although he supposed, that he did have some affection for Hector. And maybe even Charis? He'd given her so much, he thought. So much more than the other slaves, yet now she wanted him to care too. Still he doubted though, that she cared about him.

She said it would help her, if he cared and then she claimed she did care about him. Did she, really? Did you lie to or keep secrets from someone you cared about? And he was her master, he controlled her life. He could take it away, tear her apart, if that's what he wanted. And yet she said she cared? He was not sure he believed it. Tertius had not had a lover who had said such things to him in a very long time. Hector came close, but Hector was still aware of his status and knew to not push Tertius. Charis however... she dared... he didn't know what to think or feel about that currently. 

Charis promised she would be honest with him and not keep things from him, and she squeezed his arm and smiled at him, "I hope not." Tertius simply replied, while she curled closer against her and he could not help but wrap an arm aorund her. He was maybe getting a bit tired, but his young mistress would still talk, now about happier things. She said how he must be thrilled to have a son, officially.

"It is definitely good to know, that the name will live on and that someone I trust will inherit me." Tertius said, "I will still need to officially adopt him though, before it is all for certain. But now that he is freed, it won't be hard." He added and since she brought it up, he gave her a look, maybe this would prove how honest she would be with him? "You and Teutus seem to be getting along very well. Antonia tells me she often finds you two talking on your own." 

@Sara

• Like 1

He seemed determined to pick an argument tonight, and Charis frowned. She had hoped the mention of Teutus would lighten his mood, but evidently not. Shifting a little, she frowned at him. 

"We're friends again now," She admitted - thinking truth (even partial truth) was the best way forward in this circumstance. Whilst she wouldn't tell him exactly what had led to their argument, it would undoubtedly be better for everybody if she admitted they had been arguing. The last thing she wanted was Tertius to know that his son had mentioned a crush on her. Then again, she thought fleetingly, she wondered if that mattered anymore, now Teutus was free? Still, better safe than sorry. "We had an argument, in the summer - I called him an idiot for being upset he didn't get his own room when Hector and I did, and he called me a fool in return and...we didn't speak for...months in the end." That wasn't too much of a lie, was it? 

Shaking her head and stifling a yawn, she continued; "But we apologised to one another a few weeks ago and things have been better since then. We talk when I have free time from my duties." She shrugged, as if confused by what he was insinuating. Playing dumb rarely worked, but it might in this instance. 

• Like 1

It was not that he wanted to pick an argument. But Charis brought Teutus up, Tertius thought it natural to ask into Charis' relationship with his son. She seemed a little surprised and judging by her frown, she had not wanted him to ask such a question. Why? She shifted and said they were friends. She spoke of an argument they had and that they had not spoken for months after that, but now they were friends.

"I did hear about you two not talking, but that both before and after your argument, you are good friends." Tertius said and wondered if she trusted Teutus more than he. She probably did and now his son was free. Maybe if he grew tired of Charis sometime, he could give her to his son. For now though, he was more fond of her than he should be and she even wanted him to openly declare he cared about her. Something he was not ready for, especially not with a slave, but it was as if the more she rebelled against him and kept things from him, the more he wanted her trust and devotion!

"I suppose it is good to have friends in the household." Tertius then said and just to see what her reaction would be, he smiled at her, "And you have me, too. Just as I have you." He ran a hand over her hair and his finger trailed down over her body. Gods she'd felt good to him tonight and he knew she had felt good herself too. He would do it to her again - give her pleasure and satisfaction again, maybe that was the way to win her over. But not tonight. Tertius was getting tired and he looked at her, "I think it is time to go to sleep. Or what does my Domina say?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

"It's good to have friends, but he is not my friend anymore." She admitted with a genuine sigh of sadness, before correcting herself; "I shouldn't be friends with free people, after all." And hoped that would satisfy him. In truth, the thought of drawing up new boundaries with Teutus and trying to establish their relationship outside of two slaves who happened to cohabit would be difficult. It wasn't as if she had many others in the household she could call her friends, and she dreaded the loneliness she knew was coming. 

"You'll always have me." She affirmed and squeezed his hand as she curled up against him, but as if on cue, she stifled a yawn as he stated it was time to sleep and she nodded against his chest. Playing the part of the stern domina, which he seemed to enjoy, she pushed herself up against him and arched a brow. "Your domina will allow it, if her slave will give her a kiss first." She pushed down the feelings of guilt at such a statement; no longer was she simply not resisting, now she was actively encouraging his affections, but needs must - she had to survive somehow, right? Leaning in, she gently kissed him before angling her head down to make it deeper. She knew he saw through chaste kisses, and he already seemed suspicious of her tonight - no need to give him any more reasons to be unhappy. 

Finally withdrawing from the kiss, and grinning like a cat who had the cream she sighed and moved back to curl against his chest. "Goodnight slave." 

Thanks for a brilliant thread! ❤️ 

• Like 1