Atrice

Alexius sat still, letting Theodorus bandage the wound with the new stitches and then he said Alexius was good to go. Alexius nodded, "I'll try my best." He said with a grin, it wasn't like he planned on getting into a fight and getting hurt like this, but it also wasn't like he had walked away when he saw those men dragging Felix along for a beating. It wasn't like he had pretended to not see anything. He had gotten himself involved. Again. He couldn't help it. He liked it. 

He'd noticed how Felix was still holding his shoulder and with a smile he'd told the other he could let go now. Felix blushed and Alexius smiled when the other apologized, "No worries, I didn't say I had anything against it." He pointed out with a wink, before he stood and looked at Theodorus again, "Thanks for your help, by the way. I won't forget it. Oh and... tell Thessala I'll come and spar with her once this is healed." Alexius added and then he and Felix would be on their way again.

Felix wanted to know if he wanted to go home, "I suppose I am." He said with a sigh, "I had planned for more drinks... but... well I suppose I did get more drinks, didn't I?" He added with an amused laugh, he had two large cups of wine in the ludus! "Walk with me home then? Unless you need to hurry to get back to your master. I hope your bruises won't hurt too much tomorrow." 

@Chevi

• Like 1

They said their goodbyes at the ludus; Alexius left a message to someone named Thessala, probably a gladiatrix he intended to spar with (whatever he meant by that). ALexius seemed to be in a good mood despite his injury; whether that was the unwatered wine, or the herbs in it, or the excitement of the fight earlier, it was hard to tell. Felix was just glad he was not in a bad mood after getting cut up for a random slave.

"I suppose I am. I had planned for more drinks... but... well I suppose I did get more drinks, didn't I? Walk with me home then? Unless you need to hurry to get back to your master. I hope your bruises won't hurt too much tomorrow." 

"I can spare the time." Felix nodded. It was late, his household had probably gone to bed, and he had the evening off anyway. He might as well make sure Alexius actually made it home safely. He fell in to step next to him, resisting the urge to walk behind. "My dominus gave me the night off."

@Atrice

• Like 1

It was rare to find Alexius in a bad mood... well unless he was angry at someone for something, and he had been angry, that's why he got involved in that fight and met Felix - but he wasn't angry now and despite the pain of the cut and the stitches, the wine and company did help a lot. Felix seemed willing to walk with him until he was home and that was good. Both for the sake of nice company and because Alexius had lost some blood. It was good to have a companion, just in case. Felix could spare teh time, he explained that his dominus had given him a night off.

"Well that's nice." Alexius said, looking at his newfound friend, "Is he a good dominus, then? Or is he very strict?" He wondered while they were walking together through the dark night of Rome. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Well that's nice. Is he a good dominus, then? Or is he very strict?"

"He is a good man. Noble. And fair." Felix was not a man of many words, but the sentiment was honest. He respected and admired Aulus, and was loyal to him more than anyone. Some slaves liked to complain and gossip about their masters, but Felix would never do that. He glanced over at Alexius, wondering what he though. Was he curious who his master was? Was he curious if Felix served him loyally?

Maybe it was time to ask another question.

"How did you... leave the Ludus?"

@Atrice

Felix seemed to like his dominus, speaking of him in very nice terms and he seemed genuine. Calling his owner a good, noble and fair man. Alexius simply nodded, although a bit surprised. Felix got lucky then, Alexius thought to himself. Not all owners would be described by their slaves in such warm terms! His first owner had been sort of in between, but then he died and Alexius was separated from his sister and ended up another place. And then he became a gladiator. But although he lived among Romans now and considered this city his home and had a Roman name, he would never be like them. He had never owned a slave and didn't want to. 

Felix interrupted his thoughts, wondering how he left the ludus back in the day, "Well I was freed, as I told you... and they made me lanista of the same ludus afterwards. But it wasn't right for me. I didn't like the paperwork or suddenly having to order my former friends around and decide who should fight for their lives and all that. It wasn't for me. So I was allowed to leave, by my former dominus. I had a wife, then. Together we went to Germania, where I was born, but... it wasn't home anymore. So I came back." It wasn't the most amusing story ever, but it was true. He still recalled the travel to Germania, long and hard, and then getting around on the other side of the border, without the luxury of Roman roads and having a Roman name there. And the village that was gone. The landscape was beautiful though, familiar and lovely, but the place and the people... it hadn't been the same. It had not been what he had hoped for. 

"Have you always been a slave?" Alexius then wondered about Felix.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Well I was freed, as I told you... and they made me lanista of the same ludus afterwards. But it wasn't right for me. I didn't like the paperwork or suddenly having to order my former friends around and decide who should fight for their lives and all that. It wasn't for me. So I was allowed to leave, by my former dominus."

Felix had never considered that when he thought about earning his freedom. Would he own slaves himself? He had no doubt that he would stay in Aulus' service, unless his dominus was not satisfied with it. Would he have to order his former fellow slaves around? Would he be responsible for buying or selling someone?... He found that he did not like the idea much. He understood why Alexius did not like it either. Lanistas often sent people to their death in the games.

"I had a wife, then. Together we went to Germania, where I was born, but... it wasn't home anymore. So I came back." 

"You did?" Felix sounded surprised. Alexius had everything a slave wanted: a family, and the freedom to go home. Even if Felix had been born a slave, he could understand the appeal of the idea. And yet, Alexius came back to Rome.

"Have you always been a slave?"

The question made sense, after his reaction just now. Felix nodded.

"I'm verna. My mother came from Greece, and my father was a household slave too." he shrugged "We were lucky to be in a good household. I don't think I would have done well in the arena..." Or any other, less favorable place slaves ended up in.

@Atrice

• Like 1

He noted how Felix listened silently to Alexius telling his story and he only seemed thoughtful afterwards. Alexius added that he’d gone to Germania but came back again, and Felix seemed surprised that he did. Well he supposed he could have started his own life in Germania, but his wife was a true Roman lady and would never have settled down well up there. Besides, he was considered Roman too, by those who lived there. It wasn’t for him anymore, apparently. 

“I did. I had a Roman name and a Roman wife and the village I was born in was long gone. It’s odd, isn’t it? Here in Rome, many still consider me a former Germanian slave … but in Germania, I was too Roman. It’s not easy.” He added with a little sigh. The wine seemed to be working strangely tonight, with a companion simply willing to listen to Alexius’ sob-story.

He asked in return if Felix had always been  slave, and it would seem so. He was a verna. Alexius nodded and Felix continued talking about it being a good household and he would not have been a good gladiator. 

“You don’t think so? With the proper training, I think you could.” Alexius said cheerfully, he definitely had the physique for it, he thought, “Not that it is a life you should wish for, when you have a good household and a good dominus. That’s way better. Have you always been with your current dominus then?” He wondered curiously. Felix really did seem to be one of the luckier slaves. And why shouldn’t he be, with that name?

@Chevi

• Like 1

Alexius noticed Felix's surprise at his return to Rome. Felix felt sheepish about giving away his thoughts like that; whatever prompted the decision, it was probably not something he wanted to talk about in detail. Not on a night when he had already been through a fight, anyway. 

“I did. I had a Roman name and a Roman wife and the village I was born in was long gone. It’s odd, isn’t it? Here in Rome, many still consider me a former Germanian slave … but in Germania, I was too Roman. It’s not easy.” 

Felix wondered what he would be if he wasn't Roman. He had a Greek mother and a father who claimed to be Etruscan, but in the end, he had only ever known Rome. And he had only ever known Germania from the other side of the limes.

“You don’t think so? With the proper training, I think you could. Not that it is a life you should wish for, when you have a good household and a good dominus. That’s way better. Have you always been with your current dominus then?” 

"I was born is his household" Felix nodded "Well... his father's household, at the time. And then he chose me as a body slave when he left Rome... during the rebellion. I traveled with him to the East, and then to Raetia and Britannia. We have only been back in Rome for... a little less than a year. A lot has changed."

@Atrice

• Like 1

If Felix would ask Alexius, he'd tell Felix he was a Roman. To him, it mattered where you were born and he was born in Germania and for some reason couldn't shake it off. Maybe it was his height or the color of his eyes, but there was no mistake, people just knew. Felix however, if he was born and raised in Rome, then this was where he was from. But Felix didn't ask and Alexius commented on how he thought the other would do well in the arena - even if it wasn't a life you should wish for, if you'd been so lucky to avoid it. Alexius had not and now those were his days of glory, but for everyone else, he wouldn't wish it upon them.

He also asked about Felix' situation then, since he seemed to have it pretty good and he had indeed been born and raised in the same household he still lived in. Now he was body slave to his owner and had travelled a lot, but recently came back to Rome.

"It changes and yet remains the same, that's how I see it. You've done your bit of travelling too though. I did it too, after we came back to Rome and my wife and I parted ways. I've been working as a bodyguard and the like for different people. Now I'm here, but there's no knowing how long it will last this time." Not with Oriana being who she were, a beautiful young woman looking for a husband to rise to higher ranks in society. And she should have that. A freedman was not enough for her, he knew that. She wouldn't be able to continue her luxurious life. It was only a matter of time before he would need to move on again.

@Chevi

• Like 1

Alexius had been away and back again, even if not in the same way Felix had. They agreed that Rome changed, and yet remained the same in many ways. The Eternal City.

"It changes and yet remains the same, that's how I see it. You've done your bit of travelling too though. I did it too, after we came back to Rome and my wife and I parted ways. I've been working as a bodyguard and the like for different people. Now I'm here, but there's no knowing how long it will last this time." 

He and his wife had... parted ways. Felix wondered what that meant, but didn't ask. He barely entertained the idea of marriage as it was; the idea of divorce was beyond him.

"Anyone who has you as a bodyguard better be paying good money for it" Felix smirked. Alexius did make short work of the men that had attacked him. It made sense, him being a former gladiator and all. "Are you thinking of taking on a different occupation?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Felix didn’t seem to be the type who was nosy at all. Either his dominus had trained this house-born slave a little too well, or it was simply not in his nature. Alexius could appreciate it, although honestly he did not really mind telling stories. More and more, it seemed to be something he actually enjoyed doing. Felix mentioned how anyone better pay good money for Alexius being their bodyguard and he let out a little laugh.

“Oh she’s paying very well, my current employer.” Both coin and a room and a bed… and her bed, of course. Yes, she paid him very well, but he still knew it wasn’t going to last. One of them would hurt the other at some point. Either she would marry and he’d be jealous at someone else sharing her bed or he would fall from grace and be too tempted by someone. He thought he could easily be tempted by Felix, he was a very nice companion to have and handsome too. And nice to talk to, even! Now he wondered if Alexius had considered a different occupation.

“Not really different…” He began, because he would definitely still be in the same business of being someone who fought or protected people, “… but I will have to find something else at some point. I can’t stay where I am now, forever. All I really know is how to fight though… so I guess that’s what I’ll be doing, no matter what I do.” Alexius said and looked at Felix, “Have you ever considered what you’ll do, if you’re freed?”

@Chevi

• Like 1

“Oh she’s paying very well, my current employer.” 

Right. He was bodyguard for some kind of a wealthy mistress. He fought well, and looked good, and was known as an ex-gladiator (most of the good ones were). She made a good deal by hiring him. Judging by his laugh, maybe got a bit more for her money, too. Felix couldn't blame her. He would be a fool to leave a place like that, just like Felix would have felt like a fool if he left the service of Aulus.

“Not really different… but I will have to find something else at some point. I can’t stay where I am now, forever. All I really know is how to fight though… so I guess that’s what I’ll be doing, no matter what I do. Have you ever considered what you’ll do, if you’re freed?”

"Not really." Felix admitted simply. For someone who was free born, or someone in a less lucky place as a slave, his admission might have sounded offensive. But he was at peace with that. "I would probably stay in my dominus' service, unless he had no use for me anymore. I am not a fighter, and I'm... definitely not a scholar either." he admitted with a small smile "My dominus says getting married will help me settle down. But I don't know... many married people don't seem settled at all."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius really would be a fool to leave a good service as the one he had right now - but what choice did he have, if Oriana married some wealthy bastard who'd take her nights away from Alexius? Was he just to stay in celibacy and away from pleasure, because she too would be jealous if he slept around. Yet if she married, she would be doing the same with her husband and it wouldn't be fair to Alexius. He could not stay with her, once she married, even if she didn't want him to leave. And what if her husband found out about their affair? It would end badly, somehow, he just knew it. No matter what they did, someone would end up with hurt emotions. He tried to explain how he could not stay with Oriana forever, but he didn't know what else to do - because fighting was all he knew, by now. At least he had come to terms with that.

Felix said he had not considered what to do, should he be freed. He would stay with his dominus and spoke of how he was no fighter and also no scholar. He then mentioned getting married and how he didn't think it seemed as if married people settled down. Alexius laughed.

"I certainly didn't! But I may be a bad example, it seems I'm unable to settle down at all." He said and looked at Felix, "If you're no fighter and also no scholar... what would you say you are, then?" Felix had said he was a body slave to his master, so maybe that's all he knew. He was a pleaser, maybe... someone good at helping others. He had certainly also helped out when Alexius was hurt. That wasn't the worst trait for a handsome man as Felix, he thought to himself with a little smile.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"I certainly didn't! But I may be a bad example, it seems I'm unable to settle down at all."

Some people lucked into a happy, content marriage. Aulus certainly did, which is why he seemed to think marriage was the reason for happiness and not the other way around. Alexius seemed to have other opinions on the whole thing, but Felix decided not to ask. 

"If you're no fighter and also no scholar... what would you say you are, then?"

Felix paused, thinking about the question. It did not sound hard to answer... and yet it was. What was he, if he was not Aulus' body slave? If he wasn't a fighter or a scholar or a businessman?...

"I... am honestly not sure." he admitted with a half-hearted chuckle "I don't even know how to go about finding out. I'm just... me?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius had almost told Felix all about how he could not really settle down, not for one lover and not for a wife and not for a job... he seemed destined to look for his place in the world, maybe until he died. But that would be stupid to tell such a good looking man the first time he met him. Alexius certainly would not mind if Felix would show any interest beyond companionship tonight. But the conversation moved on and Alexius continued to wonder what Felix could do, if he did not consider himself a fighter or a scholar. Maybe he was good at working with his hands? They looked like good, strong hands...

But Felix said he wasn't sure and didn't know how to find out what he was good at.

"Sometimes it's just the thing you feel most satisfied doing... I worked with horses before I became a gladiator. I guess that's why they picked me, because I was good with beasts?" He let out a little laugh, "And I did always want to fight, since I was a kid. I just never imagined I'd fight for other people's pleasure, but that's how it went..." He trailed off, trying to remind himself that he should also include Felix more here, so... "Maybe you're good at working with your hands?" 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Sometimes it's just the thing you feel most satisfied doing... I worked with horses before I became a gladiator. I guess that's why they picked me, because I was good with beasts? And I did always want to fight, since I was a kid. I just never imagined I'd fight for other people's pleasure, but that's how it went..."

Felix wondered as they walked: what did he feel the most satisfied doing? A day's tasks done well were always a satisfaction; being useful for the household, and serving Aulus well. Beyond that... he did not have favorite pastimes that he could think of. Certainly none that could be an occupation for a free man. Alexius was good with horses and beast, and liked to fight, so he became a gladiator, and continued to be a guard for hire after he earned his freedom.

"Maybe you're good at working with your hands?" 

Felix arched an eyebrow, considering the question that he found a little amusing. "You mean... like a craftsman? Or something else?" Slaves usually gave massages, at the baths and to their masters in the household. But that was hardly an occupation for a free man either...

@Atrice

• Like 1

Felix really did not talk much, did he? But on the other hand, he seemed perfectly happy with just listening to Alexius talk - he did not interrupt and he did not try to argue about anything or discuss anything. Alexius wondered if that was just Felix' nature, or if it was something that had been knocked into him over many years, because he was a slave and had to act that way. It was impossible to tell and not something he would ask about. Instead he had just explained how he came to do what he did and why he was good at it. Then he wondered what Felix would be good at and suggested he could work with his hands.

"Yes, like a craftsman, perhaps. There are smiths, weavers, wood-workers, barbers and so on." Alexius said and then he could not help himself, he looked towards Felix' hands and then gave the fine looking man a slightly playful smile, "You do seem to have good and strong hands, Felix. I bet you can do amazing things with those." Maybe it was too much, but why not? 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Felix never considered learning a trade, but it made sense that he would have to, if he was ever freed and sent from Aulus' household. Slaves with trade skills were more valuable, and had better treatment in most places; he was lucky that his loyalty and services were enough for his master. Then again, their life was not a usual one by any stretch.

"Yes, like a craftsman, perhaps. There are smiths, weavers, wood-workers, barbers and so on."

Felix wondered which one he could learn, and do well enough. He tried to imagine himself as a barber, or a baker, or a smith. The world of crafts was a whole different world, not one that usually came close to the Domus. He mused about the possibilities for a moment before he caught Alexius' playful look.

"You do seem to have good and strong hands, Felix. I bet you can do amazing things with those."

Now, Felix was not good at flirtation. Honestly, it had not been a part of his life. Aulus never flirted, just commanded, as a master would, even if he was a considerate one. Men and women approached him occasionally, either by trade or out of genuine interest, and in those cases Felix understood what they wanted he just... never really had the occasion, or the freedom, to respond. Even so, he noticed the innuendo in Alexius' comment. The man was good-looking and easy-going, but it still surprised Felix that he would waste his attention on someone else's slave. He glanced down at his own hands, then back at Alexius, tilting his head.

"Like what?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Think that Felix didn’t really consider or know what he could do besides being a house and body slave in the domus where he grew up. Maybe it was normal that people born as slaves didn’t think about such things. Felix had never known another life – he didn’t know what freedom was and he didn’t know that you could make your own decisions, instead of always following orders. Alexius kind of wanted to show him that life… give him a taste of it, somehow. And now that they were discussing what Felix could do and Alexius then mentioned how he bet Felix could do amazing things with his hands, his own mind definitely went south. It had been on the way there for a while, but now… it was something else.

Felix however, he just looked at his hands and then back at Alexius with a tilted head, wondering what it was Alexius thought he could do. Alexius let out another amused laugh at the man, Felix was so serious. He really needed to learn how to let it all go, at least for a little while.

“I bet you know, if you think about it.” He then said, the smile still present on his face. They had been discussing which trade Felix could be good at and what Alexius had in mind was certainly not a trade he thought Felix should have, if he was freed, but… oh it was impossible to stop this line of thought now… “Your master… never asked you to massage him? Or to please him… in bed?” After all, it was commonly known that it happened, although it wasn’t something you talked about. According to the Romans, a man should not yearn to be taken by another, but rather take another man. That’s why slaves were so convenient. But Felix didn’t seem to hate his master, so maybe, if what Alexius suggested had happened, it wasn’t so bad and then Felix wouldn’t be offended.

@Chevi

• Like 1

“I bet you know, if you think about it.”

Oh, he knew. It was not that hard to get it, even without the amused laugh. Felix was just not sure where Alexius was going with all this. A good-looking, free man like him, an ex-gladiator even, had better places ti fish for attention than with someone like Felix.

“Your master… never asked you to massage him? Or to please him… in bed?”

Alexius probably did not realize he made a mistake until Felix's amused smile disappeared. Flirting was one thing; private information about his master's habits, that was quite another. Here, Felix knew exactly where his loyalties were.

"That is not a question you should ask." he said quietly, but firmly. No one faulted Roman men for taking their pleasure with their slaves, but it was still a private matter, and not something Felix would talk to a stranger about. 

@Atrice

• Like 1

Why on Earth Alexius should have better places for his attention than with someone like Felix, was beyond him. After all, Felix was quite good looking and so far very easy to get along with and spend time with. So what’s not to like? Plus, of course, Alexius wasn’t exactly picky and he did not care much if his companion and the target for his attention was slave or free. All he cared about was whether they showed the same interest in him, as he did in them.

He didn’t know though, if Felix just didn’t get it or was toying with him, when he didn’t really respond to Alexius’ quite obvious suggestions. So he wondered if Felix, being a body slave to his master and all, never pleased him. Meaning using his hands for that, of course, since they were talking about hands.

But Felix didn’t answer that. Instead he firmly told Alexius to not ask such a question. Alexius arched a brow, a little surprised at the sudden change in Felix. Of course, a man born and raised and still living as a slave, in the same house, would be terribly loyal to his master. Too loyal, if you asked Alexius. The gods knew he'd never been that loyal, but he was also born free and lived spent all his slave-years yearning for freedom again. But he didn’t mean anything bad with the question. He thought they were having a good talk that could lead to more. Or he hoped.

“I didn’t mean to offend you.” Alexius then said, “Apologies if I did.” He added, watching Felix carefully, hoping he had not turned the handsome man away from him now.

@Chevi

• Like 1

Felix could tell that Alexius was surprised he'd spoken so firmly. There were not many things that would have gotten that reaction from the peaceful man he was, but the question, apparently unintentionally, had crossed a line.

“I didn’t mean to offend you. Apologies if I did.” 

"It's alright." Felix nodded, accepting the apology "My dominus is a good man. It would be shameful for me to talk about his private matters, that's all." The fact that they were also his private matters did not even cross Felix's mind. He considered Alexius for a moment; he looked genuinely sorry. Not like someone who was trying to coax private information out of  stranger.

"You wanted to know if I've been with a man before. I can answer that. I have."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius had crossed a line with Felix, one he had not even known he was crossing - he was used to speaking quite freely about matters concerning sex and to him, it was just a part of the flirting, at least for his part. Although he might be the only one flirting and now he wasn't sure if Felix was interested. Which was fine too, of course! Alexius would not force himself on someone who didn't want him, but it would be a pity. Not that it would happen tonight anyway, with his hurt arm and all, but you never knew what the future held and it was always good to keep the door open, just in case. But maybe not in this case. He apologized anyway though, because he liked Felix and had really not meant to offend him. 

Felix said it was alright after the apology and explained that his owner was a good man and he'd not talk about his private matters. Alexius still thought Felix sounded a tad bit too loyal, the poor guy was maybe even a little... what did they call it? Brainwashed? Felix went on though, stating that he had indeed been with a man. 

Alexius finally smiled again, "Actually we were just talking about what you can do with those handsome hands of yours." He said, "But I'm glad to know that you're not... inexperienced with men. Nor am I." He added with a wink and noted then that they were coming closer to Oriana's home. Oriana... what had she been up to, tonight? She hadn't been at home when he left, she'd gone out without her bodyguard, which meant to see some suitor. Which by Alexius' judgment made it perfectly fine that he too was flirting. Hopefully Felix wasn't too put off by his words before and wouldn't mind seeing him again. That would be a pity.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Actually we were just talking about what you can do with those handsome hands of yours."

Felix smirked. She knew what Alexius meant by his question, but now that he'd laid down the boundaries of the conversation, he did not mind the flirting all that much. "I know what you meant."

"But I'm glad to know that you're not... inexperienced with men. Nor am I."

Of course he wasn't. Alexius was handsome and free. He could probably get any (or most) women or men he wished; it was the looks combined with the reputation of a former gladiator. As long as he was interested. Which he clearly was. Felix looked him up and down; he'd saved him, probably even saved his life. It wasn't gratitude he was feeling, though. He tilted his head with a small smile. "And your mistress?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius' mind way too easily found the way to the gutter and of course that was not always a good thing. He'd only been talking and it was all just a bit of playfulness and he couldn't know that Felix would continue being so serious and so loyal to his master. But of course, he apologized, as he should - because it would be stupid to lose a good and nice new acquaintance and who knew what else, in the future? If he did not apologize, he might miss out on something good and Alexius was not the type to do such a thing! Felix smirked at him now though and when Alexius mentioned how he was not inexperienced with men either, Felix looked him over and just as this was getting interesting again, the other man mentioned Alexius' mistress. 

"What about her?" He asked back. The gods definitely knew too that Oriana was gorgeous and she must be a gift from them to Alexius, but although he cared deeply for her, so much he grew jealous at the thought of her with another man... it still wasn't a truly happy relationship, because they both knew it was doomed. Once she married, it would be over. No matter how little any of them wanted it to be that way. So why should he not look other ways too? 

@Chevi

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1