Alexius sat still, letting Theodorus bandage the wound with the new stitches and then he said Alexius was good to go. Alexius nodded, "I'll try my best." He said with a grin, it wasn't like he planned on getting into a fight and getting hurt like this, but it also wasn't like he had walked away when he saw those men dragging Felix along for a beating. It wasn't like he had pretended to not see anything. He had gotten himself involved. Again. He couldn't help it. He liked it. 

He'd noticed how Felix was still holding his shoulder and with a smile he'd told the other he could let go now. Felix blushed and Alexius smiled when the other apologized, "No worries, I didn't say I had anything against it." He pointed out with a wink, before he stood and looked at Theodorus again, "Thanks for your help, by the way. I won't forget it. Oh and... tell Thessala I'll come and spar with her once this is healed." Alexius added and then he and Felix would be on their way again.

Felix wanted to know if he wanted to go home, "I suppose I am." He said with a sigh, "I had planned for more drinks... but... well I suppose I did get more drinks, didn't I?" He added with an amused laugh, he had two large cups of wine in the ludus! "Walk with me home then? Unless you need to hurry to get back to your master. I hope your bruises won't hurt too much tomorrow." 

@Chevi

• Like 1

They said their goodbyes at the ludus; Alexius left a message to someone named Thessala, probably a gladiatrix he intended to spar with (whatever he meant by that). ALexius seemed to be in a good mood despite his injury; whether that was the unwatered wine, or the herbs in it, or the excitement of the fight earlier, it was hard to tell. Felix was just glad he was not in a bad mood after getting cut up for a random slave.

"I suppose I am. I had planned for more drinks... but... well I suppose I did get more drinks, didn't I? Walk with me home then? Unless you need to hurry to get back to your master. I hope your bruises won't hurt too much tomorrow." 

"I can spare the time." Felix nodded. It was late, his household had probably gone to bed, and he had the evening off anyway. He might as well make sure Alexius actually made it home safely. He fell in to step next to him, resisting the urge to walk behind. "My dominus gave me the night off."

@Atrice

• Like 1

It was rare to find Alexius in a bad mood... well unless he was angry at someone for something, and he had been angry, that's why he got involved in that fight and met Felix - but he wasn't angry now and despite the pain of the cut and the stitches, the wine and company did help a lot. Felix seemed willing to walk with him until he was home and that was good. Both for the sake of nice company and because Alexius had lost some blood. It was good to have a companion, just in case. Felix could spare teh time, he explained that his dominus had given him a night off.

"Well that's nice." Alexius said, looking at his newfound friend, "Is he a good dominus, then? Or is he very strict?" He wondered while they were walking together through the dark night of Rome. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Well that's nice. Is he a good dominus, then? Or is he very strict?"

"He is a good man. Noble. And fair." Felix was not a man of many words, but the sentiment was honest. He respected and admired Aulus, and was loyal to him more than anyone. Some slaves liked to complain and gossip about their masters, but Felix would never do that. He glanced over at Alexius, wondering what he though. Was he curious who his master was? Was he curious if Felix served him loyally?

Maybe it was time to ask another question.

"How did you... leave the Ludus?"

@Atrice

Felix seemed to like his dominus, speaking of him in very nice terms and he seemed genuine. Calling his owner a good, noble and fair man. Alexius simply nodded, although a bit surprised. Felix got lucky then, Alexius thought to himself. Not all owners would be described by their slaves in such warm terms! His first owner had been sort of in between, but then he died and Alexius was separated from his sister and ended up another place. And then he became a gladiator. But although he lived among Romans now and considered this city his home and had a Roman name, he would never be like them. He had never owned a slave and didn't want to. 

Felix interrupted his thoughts, wondering how he left the ludus back in the day, "Well I was freed, as I told you... and they made me lanista of the same ludus afterwards. But it wasn't right for me. I didn't like the paperwork or suddenly having to order my former friends around and decide who should fight for their lives and all that. It wasn't for me. So I was allowed to leave, by my former dominus. I had a wife, then. Together we went to Germania, where I was born, but... it wasn't home anymore. So I came back." It wasn't the most amusing story ever, but it was true. He still recalled the travel to Germania, long and hard, and then getting around on the other side of the border, without the luxury of Roman roads and having a Roman name there. And the village that was gone. The landscape was beautiful though, familiar and lovely, but the place and the people... it hadn't been the same. It had not been what he had hoped for. 

"Have you always been a slave?" Alexius then wondered about Felix.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Well I was freed, as I told you... and they made me lanista of the same ludus afterwards. But it wasn't right for me. I didn't like the paperwork or suddenly having to order my former friends around and decide who should fight for their lives and all that. It wasn't for me. So I was allowed to leave, by my former dominus."

Felix had never considered that when he thought about earning his freedom. Would he own slaves himself? He had no doubt that he would stay in Aulus' service, unless his dominus was not satisfied with it. Would he have to order his former fellow slaves around? Would he be responsible for buying or selling someone?... He found that he did not like the idea much. He understood why Alexius did not like it either. Lanistas often sent people to their death in the games.

"I had a wife, then. Together we went to Germania, where I was born, but... it wasn't home anymore. So I came back." 

"You did?" Felix sounded surprised. Alexius had everything a slave wanted: a family, and the freedom to go home. Even if Felix had been born a slave, he could understand the appeal of the idea. And yet, Alexius came back to Rome.

"Have you always been a slave?"

The question made sense, after his reaction just now. Felix nodded.

"I'm verna. My mother came from Greece, and my father was a household slave too." he shrugged "We were lucky to be in a good household. I don't think I would have done well in the arena..." Or any other, less favorable place slaves ended up in.

@Atrice

• Like 1

He noted how Felix listened silently to Alexius telling his story and he only seemed thoughtful afterwards. Alexius added that he’d gone to Germania but came back again, and Felix seemed surprised that he did. Well he supposed he could have started his own life in Germania, but his wife was a true Roman lady and would never have settled down well up there. Besides, he was considered Roman too, by those who lived there. It wasn’t for him anymore, apparently. 

“I did. I had a Roman name and a Roman wife and the village I was born in was long gone. It’s odd, isn’t it? Here in Rome, many still consider me a former Germanian slave … but in Germania, I was too Roman. It’s not easy.” He added with a little sigh. The wine seemed to be working strangely tonight, with a companion simply willing to listen to Alexius’ sob-story.

He asked in return if Felix had always been  slave, and it would seem so. He was a verna. Alexius nodded and Felix continued talking about it being a good household and he would not have been a good gladiator. 

“You don’t think so? With the proper training, I think you could.” Alexius said cheerfully, he definitely had the physique for it, he thought, “Not that it is a life you should wish for, when you have a good household and a good dominus. That’s way better. Have you always been with your current dominus then?” He wondered curiously. Felix really did seem to be one of the luckier slaves. And why shouldn’t he be, with that name?

@Chevi

• Like 1

Alexius noticed Felix's surprise at his return to Rome. Felix felt sheepish about giving away his thoughts like that; whatever prompted the decision, it was probably not something he wanted to talk about in detail. Not on a night when he had already been through a fight, anyway. 

“I did. I had a Roman name and a Roman wife and the village I was born in was long gone. It’s odd, isn’t it? Here in Rome, many still consider me a former Germanian slave … but in Germania, I was too Roman. It’s not easy.” 

Felix wondered what he would be if he wasn't Roman. He had a Greek mother and a father who claimed to be Etruscan, but in the end, he had only ever known Rome. And he had only ever known Germania from the other side of the limes.

“You don’t think so? With the proper training, I think you could. Not that it is a life you should wish for, when you have a good household and a good dominus. That’s way better. Have you always been with your current dominus then?” 

"I was born is his household" Felix nodded "Well... his father's household, at the time. And then he chose me as a body slave when he left Rome... during the rebellion. I traveled with him to the East, and then to Raetia and Britannia. We have only been back in Rome for... a little less than a year. A lot has changed."

@Atrice

• Like 1