"Not in his right mind?" 

She saw the intrigue in his eyes when she mentioned her father's condition. She explained further saying, "he fought in the civil war and hasn't been the same since he returned. He is convinced that my mother is still alive and is constantly getting himself confused."

"He is ill? I am sorry to hear that but I can assure you that I would approach him with nothing but respect and honor. Besides, you have brothers, do you not? The entire menfolk of your family cannot be uniformly against me, can they? They don't even know me! If it is the uniform that they have a problem with I can also assure you that this is just a stepping stone on the way to bigger things. Do they think I'll be like one of Clemens' mad dogs and put all their names on a prescription list?"

She laughed at the prospect of all four of her brothers agreeing on something for once, how awful it would be if it were this. She answered saying, "no not all of them, but the oldest, Albus, might. He has always had a prejudice for preatorians, regardless if it is merely a stepping stone for you." She knew that even so, she had the ability to convince him so he would still agree to the marriage, even if he refused to trust Titus. She laughed again and said, "I have four brothers and they have never agreed on anything, I'm sure that at least one of them will like you."

@Lauren  

• Like 1

"I will take the odds of one in four. That said - and I apologise if I offend - but it would not matter to me whether none did. Courting public opinion is not something I have shown much interest in before. They will like me or they will have to get used to it."

As for her father's condition, all he could do was nod with solemn sympathy. It was a common occurrence in both men and women of a certain age. Sometimes it was occasioned by some physical trauma. He had been men who had received head wounds who, once recovered, regained their health but seemed to lose their old personality. Their habits became more erratic. However, much more common was the sort of madness that some might just call senility, which came with advancing age. Although spared it in his immediate family, he had seen those who had been lucid one moment and then utterly lost in madness the next. They would call daughters after their dead wives. They would think themselves children again. They would not recognize even their most close relations and friends. The tragedy was that the oases of lucidity were so sparse and few, set within ever expanding deserts of mental loss. One day, shortly before the end, the traveler would never return and the person lived a short living death before passing on, generally to the relief of their loving relations to whom the person had already long been lost.

"It is a difficult burden that the gods have afflicted him with and I feel for you, truly. We must speak with him then when he has a good moment but, if not, there are ways around it, I would not be concerned."

@Laria

(ooc: do you want to wrap this up next and we can start a new thread forwarding things on if you like?)

• Like 1

"I will take the odds of one in four. That said - and I apologise if I offend - but it would not matter to me whether none did. Courting public opinion is not something I have shown much interest in before. They will like me or they will have to get used to it."

She smiled and said, "I admire that about you, but I'm sure they will like you." And like he said, even if they didn't they would just have to get used to it. She could hardly believe herself, after so many years she was finally discussing plans to get married. Part of her was thrilled at the idea, despite everything she still knew that a good marriage was all that was expected of her. Another part of her was terrified that she was making a mistake, after years of running her household and father's business exactly as she liked it she was now going to throw it all away in hope that she wouldn't loose her independence. She knew that it had to be done, her father wouldn't keep forever and if she didn't marry now than her brothers would give her to the first man who wanted her. This was her best option, Titus seemed to respect her and didn't care that she wouldn't be a proper Roman matron, it may not be love but that was never a requirement for her. Love was never a necessity, it was merely a troublesome emotion that caused more problems than it was worth. 

"It is a difficult burden that the gods have afflicted him with and I feel for you, truly. We must speak with him then when he has a good moment but, if not, there are ways around it, I would not be concerned."

She was jolted form her thoughts when he spoke of her father's condition, "thank you" she was touched by his statement. She looked up and saw that the sun was starting to dip further behind the horizon, she sighed and said, "I think I should get going now unless I want to be walking home in the dark." She stood up, brushed off her chiton, and grabbed her purse, she then opened it and took out her scroll of the play Medea. "Here" she said handing it to him, "you said you wanted to borrow it, you can return it to me next time we meet" she gave him a copy smile before sauntering out of the domus to walk home.

@Lauren

(OOG: sure) 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this