All Patched Up [M]

Sains

Decimus watched with relief as the young man finally left the tavern to seek entertainment elsewhere. In truth it was a godsend, he'd hate to sit at the bar for a few more hours while the love of his life was a few meters away. As soon as the last trace of the boy's fine garb drifted through the threshold back out onto the street, Decimus stepped from the bar with mug in hand to finally reunite himself with the love he'd not seen for damn near a month. 

He wasn't too showy about it, strolling rather casually over to the table and pausing to look about for a moment before setting himself down in the seat once occupied by that nobleman. 

"Hope you don't mind if I sit." he'd say, giving her a coy smile as he pulled another swig from his mug. "Who was that anyways? You got friends in high places now?"

Of course he knew it could have been anyone that lived in the house of Flavia, though he couldn't begin to guess who he might have actually been. It was either that or she was mixing and mingling with nobles on the side, and Aia hardly seemed the type to truly enjoy that sort of company regularly. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Aia let out a breath she had been holding, counting in her head for the appropriate amount of time before she could be sure Marcus had left and no one would notice if she struck up another conversation. 

Decimus, on his part, was over at her table before she could count to ten. 

"Hope you don't mind if I sit. Who was that anyways? You got friends in high places now?"

Aia flashed him a smile. Gods, it was good to see him again.

"I live in high places. That was Marcus. Flavia Juliana's stepson." she grinned, drinking from her cup "He thought I was here for some kind of a secret encounter with a lover.  Youngsters, eh? Their brains go straight to the gutter."

@Sains

• Like 1

"Quite. Why would a self-respecting woman even consider something like that?" He'd say with clear elements of sarcasm. It made much more sense now, the fact that the noble had chosen to stick around for so long. He'd been right at any rate, that boy was from Flavia's house after all. 

He could scarcely believe he was talking to her again. A few weeks had seemed like a lifetime away from her but with his arm all healed up he was sure that they would be seeing a lot more of each other, or at least he hoped that would be the case. Still being in the legions meant that they'd probably have to endure this complicated and secretive life for at least a few more days or weeks until he could present their case to the princess; that would all come later of course, though.

"Is he one of your students then? Does he speak Gallic with the best of them?"

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Quite. Why would a self-respecting woman even consider something like that?" 

Aia chuckled as Decimus took up the conversation. Self-respecting woman, indeed. She was here to meet a lover, and she was not feeling bad about it one bit. Secretive, sure, for obvious reasons as she wanted to keep her job for now, but ashamed? Nope. Who would fault her for falling for someone like Decimus?

"Is he one of your students then? Does he speak Gallic with the best of them?"

"Gods, no. He just sits through my tutoring because he has to. But he's not a bad kid. He'll learn when he has to." she shrugged. Marcus was not dumb, but he was also not terribly in a hurry to do adult things just yet. It was a wonderful age to be, for a boy of senatorial descent anyway. Aia glanced over Decimus' shoulder, making sure the coast was clear, and she did not have any other household members lurking in the popina. 

"So, what brings you here, then?" she asked in a casual voice, finishing her drink. "I hope you were not planning on getting drunk and spending the night, because I think I reserved the last free room they had..."

@Sains

• Like 1

The thought of Aia attempting to teach Gallic to a bunch of Roman youths who had no interest in the subject whatsoever made Decimus smile, if only because of how absurd it sounded. Hopefully they didn't give her too much grief, but some kids really were just like that. When the enlightening embrace of old age finally reached them perhaps they'd come to appreciate these sorts of opportunities they had in life. It was either that or they'd grow to be sour old rich folk with little to flesh out their character besides how large their estates were or how many slaves they could afford. Such was the way of things, though. 

"Well, that's funny..." he began, "I stopped in here planning to do just that, but if you've got the last room I guess i'll have to find somewhere else to lay my thick skull." 

Decimus was all too happy to play into her little game, and it made it all the more fun now that he'd already downed a few mugs while he was over at the bar listening to them converse. While not drunk, he did feel a little loopy. Part of him wanted to lift her up and carry her upstairs right then and there, but that certainly wouldn't have done anything for their secretive status. 

"Unless you've got an extra pillow lying around..."

@Chevi

• Like 1

The more time passed since Marcus left, the more confident Aia felt in him not coming back, or spying on the two of them. She relaxed into the familiar feeling of spending time with Decimus. Except, this time they had plans they'd never had before, and she was keenly feeling the anticipation as she looked at him across the table.

"Well, that's funny... I stopped in here planning to do just that, but if you've got the last room I guess i'll have to find somewhere else to lay my thick skull." 

"Too bad" she grinned, eyes twinkling. The fact that they both knew where this was going did not make it any less fun.

"Unless you've got an extra pillow lying around..."

"Well... I'll have to check." she said, pretending to consider the question for a moment. "How about I go do that, and when you finish your drink, you can come up to the room and see if I found an extra pillow."

Had Marcus not shown up, they would have played this game a long time ago. Aia was determined to not let anything else go wrong tonight. Leaving her empty mug on the table, she gave Decimus a smile, then turned to walk upstairs to the rooms. She'd already arranged things with the girl who owned the popina; for once, she actually got a key to a room with a door. Those cost more. Usually. It was good to have friends in low places.

Once she was in the room, Aia shrugged the palla off, and waited. It was a fun game to count the minutes and try to guess how soon Decimus would find his way to the door...

@Sains

• Like 1

Decimus watched her go, smiling back at her with a raised brow as she turned for the stairs and left him to finish his drink. As soon as she was out of sight, and he'd been given a few moments to look into the depths of his mug, he couldn't help but breathe deeply and revel in the situation. It was about to happen! Or at least he hoped... He couldn't well imagine anything else happening tonight, though their plans had been ruined before. For years the very idea of any of this happening to either of them had seemed to be a completely foreign concept. He'd spent some time looking for love in the city, and surely Aia had thought about it, but they'd always been too blind or too afraid to fully realize that it was the gods who'd meant for them to be together for eternity... How kind they'd been to the unlikely pair. 

His skin tingled with anticipation as he set down the now empty mug and left a few coins on the table. Making for the stairs he realized he hardly had any idea of which room to head towards, though it seemed he wouldn't be left stumped for too long as one of the maids gave a friendly nod towards the end of the hallway where the higher end room lay. A door was certainly a welcome feature. He didn't know how comfortable he'd feel with an open threshold tonight.

Soon enough he'd reached that o-so-fancy room that she'd managed to acquire and let his frame rest in against the smooth wood of the doorway so that he might look at her in the dim candlelight as he had so many moons ago. She was there alright, and as stunning as ever. In the back of his mind, muddled by alcohol as it may now have been, he hoped he wasn't in too much of a state. He'd made it a point to cut his hair that day, not to mention the short beard that had grown across his face during his tenure in hell. All in all he probably looked more like the sprout she'd met in Britannia all those years ago than he ever had since. 

"Did you find one, then? Or should I go ask the girl next door?"

@Chevi

• Like 1

It didn't take very long at all. All they needed was some flimsy excuse for plausible deniability, and Aia was glad Decimus did not take his time making her wait beyond that. They had waited enough. She grinned when he appeared in the doorway. Gods, he looked good. Younger, somehow, in the light of the oil lamps in the room. Aia walked up to meet him.

"Did you find one, then? Or should I go ask the girl next door?"

"Get in here, you idiot." she grabbed the front of his tunic to drag him into the room, shoving the door closed behind him. It was good to touch him again, to be close enough to feel how warm he was. Now that she'd gotten a taste of that, back at the villa, she'd been dreaming of it ever since. 

There was one more thing to do.

Aia's fingers worked the fibula out of Decimus' cloak, and she tossed the whole thing aside, pushing up the sleeve of his tunic to run her hands up his arm.

"How is your shoulder? Does it still hurt?"

@Sains

• Like 1

Decimus smiled stupidly as she drug him into the room by the neck of his tunic. The sound of the door hitting its latch behind him was music to his ears. Finally they'd been sealed off from the world, or at least for the moment. Seeing her there before him brought up so many emotions that he was all too relieved hadn't changed since they'd been apart. If anything those feelings burned brighter now than they ever had before. Maybe it was the ale, or maybe it was the fact that he wasn't half dead; either way he was all too happy to be free of that cloak.

"It aches... But only when I try to hold a shield. They say the strength will come back in a few more days."

He bloody hoped so. The fact that he was restricted from doing anything beyond pushing paper had been bad enough, but he could feel himself getting weaker every day he couldn't hit the sticks. That said, the feeling of her hands gliding up the length of his arm made him want to melt into her arms if he could, though that would probably make them both fall over!

"Not a bad room." he'd say, hugging her close to him in what some might call a bit of a bear hug. "How much for the door?" 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Aia folded the sleeve of his tunic up to take a look at his wound. It had healed nicely, but the arrow had been deep in his shoulder, so it would take some more time to work properly again. Still, at least he was not in pain. That was a lot of improvement compared to the last time they had been together.

"It aches... But only when I try to hold a shield. They say the strength will come back in a few more days."

"That's good" she noted, satisfied that the wound looked good and healed and Decimus was not hiding his arm falling off or something from her. He hugged her and she smiled, leaning against him.

"Not a bad room. How much for the door?" 

"Like I give a crap" she grinned, tilting her head to look up at him. Gods, it was so good to be touching him again. And there was nothing that would get between them tonight. "We have a door with a bolt on it, and you are not half dead this time. Show me how much you missed me."

@Sains

• Like 1

It was a good enough answer for him. As a scout he'd always known Aia to be the more patient sort, but even he had to admit the small talk would not do for either of them tonight. And besides, the request had been something he'd been waiting to hear ever since he'd arrived back at the castra. 'Show me how much you missed me', how could he refuse?

What had begun as a hug soon turned into a fully fledged grip about her waist, and before long she'd find her feet free of the ground! He hefted her this way for only a few moments until he could release her onto the soft bedding that had been made up just for the occasion. The sight of her there made his arms tingle as he fumbled to unlatch the belt that held his tunica against his waist, though before long it fell slack in his grip and he could finally join his lovers embrace.

Crawling on to the foot of the bed he made a show of crawling over her skinny form, soon reaching the length of her neck which was soon draped in short sensual kisses. He certainly seemed more spry since the last time they were together. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Aia let out a laugh as Decimus swept her off her feet. Apparently, she was lighter than a shield? The bed was not far away in a small room like this, and she was soon deposited, smiling, onto the covers. While Decimus fumbled with his belt she undid the ribbons that held her dress around her waist, and bit her lips as she watched him. This man, this amazing, slightly flustered man, was hers. She could have all of him.

He made a show of crawling on top of her and she giggled, burying her fingers in his short hair. He kissed her neck all over and her skin erupted in goosebumps. Gods, he really was more alive than last time. Aia hummed, tugging at his loose tunic, trying to sneak her hands under it. Her knees brushed his sides. There needed to be way more touching, she decided hazily as she found his mouth for a kiss. A lot more. "Clothes."

@Sains

• Like 1

For the moment he'd been completely intoxicated by her so much, in fact, that he'd delayed the very thought that a tunic might well get in the way of the whole thing. The very scent of her drove him mad! Though, admittedly, it could have just been that she smelled far better than the well used rooms of the Castra. There was nothing quite like the smell of old sweaty boot leather and flatulence to make one appreciate the smell of... Well... Anything else, really. 

Her word may as well have been his command, and as he felt those prying little fingers reach underneath his loose tunic he was all too happy to to oblige. Breaking the kiss so that he might have an opportunity to further things along, he was able to catch just a glimpse of her face looking up at him eagerly. He was sure that he looked as mad as he felt. Never before had he felt so trapped in life than while he was forced to remain in that walled off section of the city. He could hardly believe he'd made it this long. In one swift movement his tunic was pulled over his broad shoulders and discarded to the darkness that surrounded them. He sat on his knees and looked down at his love as he'd often dreamed of doing for so many nights now. She was perfect, her pale skin gilded in what little light reached them to create a stunning contrast. His own body sat before her completely exposed. The scars she'd seen before were still there, as they'd always be, but they'd be somewhat more difficult to see in this light. There were some other things going on due south of his chest, but his interest lay solely on the dress that was still wrapped about her. Running his hands up her thighs, he called along teasingly to her.

"You too."

@Chevi

• Like 1

Decimus, bless him, was great at following orders. Aia watched, catching her breath, as he took off his tunic. She grinned, propping herself up onto her elbows as she looked him over. This time, she had time to look, and she was not ashamed of looking at all. It was quite the sight. Especially the way he looked at her. She hummed, still covered in goosebumps, as he ran his hands up her legs. 

"You too."

"Sure." Aia pushed herself up, kneeling in front of Decimus, and pulled off her dress. She felt more shy than she'd expected. Decimus had seen a lot of her before, but not... quite in this context. Not as a woman he wanted. Her skin was paler than his, and she had her own collection of scars. Aia smiled, wrapping her arms around Decimus' shoulders, enjoying how warm his body felt against hers. Everything she felt, everything he made her feel, was worth everything they'd gone through together. She rested her forehead against his for a moment before she kissed him again, abandoning all thoughts of shyness or modesty. This time, she wouldn't stop kissing him for quite a long time...

FTB

@Sains

• Like 1

The sound of voices from the streets below would wake him first. It was the inescapable noise of Rome that began like clockwork whenever the merchants had risen from their beds and made their way to the various stalls that dotted the market places. The sun may have been up for hours, but he'd no inclination to rise. Even as the rays of light had crept up the side of their bed, he couldn't bring himself to move. He wouldn't. The thought that he'd soon have to get up and head back to the Castra would not have been too daunting if he'd known she were to be with him there. Truly now that they'd been joined  he wondered if their time apart would be even more suffocating. Filling his lungs, he let the weight of it all escape with a calm breath. There'd be time enough to worry about all of that. 

Gods it felt good to have her pressed against him. He'd forgotten how they'd ended up falling asleep last night, but he certainly recalled how they'd approached it. If there was any doubt to whether or not they'd continue on as a couple, it had been dispelled last night. The thoughts of spending the rest of his days in this world with her didn't seem strange at all, now, but then again he wondered if they ever had. 

With a gentle hand, he made to stroke her hair and herald her into the new day with the voice of her lover, "Suns up."

Honestly she'd probably woken up before him. She'd always had a tendency to rise early, and that was high praise coming from a man who often rose before the sun. 

"Been up." he corrected himself. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Aia had been awake since the early hours of the morning. She was comfortably warm under the blanket, with Decimus' larger frame curled around her, skin to skin. His breath tickled her neck, he felt heavy with sleep, the kind of sleep they never got at camp. Everything was peaceful. Even the noises of the city outside were distant. Aia allowed herself to float in and out of sleep. The events of the previous night filled her mind, and she smiled to herself remembering them. They had thoroughly tired each other out before they fell asleep, and it had been a very... enjoyable experience.

For the first time in her life, Aia had a lover. The fact that said lover happened to be Decimus was definitely a bonus.

"Suns up... Been up." 

"I refuse to acknowledge that" Aia chuckled, eyes still closed, but wiggled around anyway to nuzzle against him. "You can tell them at the Castra you have been held hostage by powerful forces."

@Sains

• Like 1

The Castra. Gods, he wished she hadn't even mentioned it. The feeling of her soft form nuzzling up against his own was something he wished he could have every morning, not just the ones where they skulked off to some tavern to enjoy themselves before the trappings of the world dragged them back to desolation. With any luck they'd at least see more of each other. His strength had come back to him and he'd be back in the palace before too long. As for outside, well, they'd manage. 

"Aye, I could tell them that. Very powerful forces..." he'd muse, running a hand up the length of her side to the bottom of her breast. If the daze of the morning didn't still have a hold of him he might well have taken her again, but the comfort of her presence was more than enough for him to behave. For the moment, at least.

"Wouldn't look too good, though. What would the boys think if they knew I were held captive by a little pink flower?

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Aye, I could tell them that. Very powerful forces..."

Aia smiled and hummed as Decimus ran his hand along her skin. It felt good to be touched by him. She did not want to let him go back to the Castra and spend many nights apart before they could meet again. She did not want to be apart at all. Surely, they could figure out a way to get permission to marry? Or at least live together?...

"Wouldn't look too good, though. What would the boys think if they knew I were held captive by a little pink flower?"

"They would think you are a damn lucky bastard." Aia grinned, pressing a kiss to his cheek. Soldiers had never been shy about bragging about their affairs. But having a lover... that was a different story. "How fast do you think we can convince the princess to let us have a place of our own? I want to do this in our own bed next time..."

@Sains

• Like 1

He'd smile as her soft lips met his cheek, continuing to revel in what short time in paradise they had left. The question she asked was one that had kept him up many nights, but he still didn't really have an answer to it. It was not as if he could just go in to the Princess's chambers and nonchalantly ask her for that sort of permission. Or perhaps he could? Though there were certainly a long list of precedents and good legal reasons that they technically couldn't marry, he had saved the girl's life. He wasn't one to push his luck when it came to asking favors of the imperial family, but this reason in particular might find ground to stand on with Claudia. 

"I would too. I'll ask soon enough, but don't go and think that she'll grant it just because we almost died with her. There are rules, after all, and I'm not even sure how this whole thing will work." 

As he rolled onto his back to contemplate the whole mess, a concerned sigh would escape his lips. 

"Next time I see her I will ask for permission. Maybe just to live together at first, but the Princess isn't stupid, she'll know what we're really after. If that fails we can get married under the auspices of the sacred trees or however your people do it." 

The latter part of his promise was almost surely made in jest, as he knew that she would never grow tired of his quips about her heritage. Or so he thought, anyways. 

@Chevi  

• Like 1

"I would too. I'll ask soon enough, but don't go and think that she'll grant it just because we almost died with her. There are rules, after all, and I'm not even sure how this whole thing will work." 

"Oh, I'd think she'd be lenient because she didn't die with us" Aia pointed out, but she knew things were not going to be that easy. Decimus rolled onto his back, and she rested her head on his chest, not willing to let go of the warmth just yet. 

"Next time I see her I will ask for permission. Maybe just to live together at first, but the Princess isn't stupid, she'll know what we're really after. If that fails we can get married under the auspices of the sacred trees or however your people do it." 

If the Princess got them permission to live together, she might as well give permission for marriage. Aia knew there were strict rules about this kind of stuff, but strict rules had kind of been malleable around her all her life. And one married praetorian surely did not equal moral chaos...?

Aia snorted at the suggestion. "We can" she agreed, rolling onto her back and stretching "But of course you'll have to wrestle a boar first, and then get naked and dance around the sacred trees. For tradition."

@Sains

• Like 1