To Titus Sulpicius Rufus, and to Aulus Calpurnius Praetextatus

Sara

Given it was by far not the usual way these sorts of things were done; there was no formal betrothal ceremony, no exchange of contracts, not even an inkling that such a thing was happening - really - Longinus felt it imperative that word got out on his own terms. But not to everybody. After a fairly frantic exchange with his mother, the man set down to put ink to papyri and drafted a series of letters. The first were for his cousins (the only other remaining Cassii-Longini) Lepidus and Cassia. Then came one to his old friend, and former mentee Silanus all the way in Greece - lightly alluding to the fact that he might well be visiting in person (there had to be some benefit to sailing all the way to Carthage, and a roundabout stop on the way back to see Lucius was a silver lining).

The final few were for his friends. Amongst those he composed two to his two closest friends. They were very similar (he was not a man to dally with correspondence any longer than necessary, and thus copied out most of the first letter into the second), albeit there were amusing differences in tone - far more jocular with Titus, and far more reserved with Aulus.

They were delivered to May the 4th, two days after the engagement by his Secretary who muttered and swore as he trekked over the city in the May sun. 

To Titus Sulpicius Rufus from his friend, Lucius Cassius Longinus. Greetings!

I thought I'd drop you a note to a) enquire about how Attis is getting on, b) to inform you I'm getting married and c) ask if you are free for a drink next week? 

I suspect your eagle eye will have picked out the second point as the most interesting (although I do wish to hear about Attis and whether he still has all his fingers), and I'm pleased to say that Sestia Vaticana and I are to marry on the 1st of June given it's auspicious date. I believe you know the lady in question - she only had positive things to say about you - which I have corrected, don't worry. 

It'll be a small affair in the city, but obviously I would be delighted if Valeria and yourself save the date and make yourselves available.

I've also sent a very similar note to our good friend Aulus, and in said note have asked if he is free on the nones for a drink or two. As always, I expect you have no plans of any consequence, or no plans you cannot cancel to ensure you can come for a drink with a soon-to-be married man. We could slum it in the Poppina Via Lata? 

Your friend,

Longinus.

TAG: @Liv

To Aulus Calpurnius Praetextatus from his friend, Lucius Cassius Longinus. Greetings!

I'm writing for a dual purpose today, to a) ask if you are free for a drink next week? b) to inform you I'm getting married.

I suspect your eagle eye will have picked out the second point as the most interesting, and I'm pleased to say that Sestia Vaticana and I are to marry on the 1st of June given it's auspicious date. She mentioned yourself and Horatia met her at the Games not so long ago - I trust  you approve? 

It'll be a small affair in the city, but obviously I would be delighted if Horatia and yourself save the date and make yourselves available.

I've also sent a very similar note to our good friend Titus, and in said note have asked if he is free on the nones for a drink or two. We could slum it in the Poppina Via Lata? 

Your friend,

Longinus.

TAG: @Sharpie

• Like 2

"Juno!" Aulus' face split into a grin as he read his friend's note, and re-read it. "Tell the slave to wait, he might as well take a message back with him." Horatia would be pleased for them both, he had no doubt.

To Lucius Cassius Longinus, from Aulus Calpurnius Praetextatus, greetings!

You sly dog! When your friends suggested that you marry again, none of us expected you to move quite as fast as this - but yes, I have met the lady in question. She is friends with my wife and Horatia Justina is not known for being indiscriminate in who she chooses as her friends. Good luck in keeping it to a 'small' affair, though, you know how people love a wedding. There had better be the usual torchlit procession from her house to yours or your daughter and mine will feel the slight.

As for propping up the counter of the Popina Via Lata on the nones, certainly. I could not imagine a better place to toast the health of the groom in several jugs of questionable wine.

Your friend,

Praetextatus

@Sara

• Like 2

Longinus' letter had started off commonly enough, but somewhere between the second and third paragraphs Titus found himself choking on a few of the almonds he'd been munching on. They did say love did strange things to a man. He shared the rather incredible news with Valeria while a slave went to get writing supplies, and penned a quick reply to be delivered to the secretary straight away.

To Lucius Cassius Longinus from his gobsmacked brother Titus Sulpicius Rufus. Greetings!

To answer your questions:

a) Attis is doing well and still in possession of all his important appendages. Valeriana has grown very fond of him (he has strict orders to pay attention to her), I think she'll miss him when he returns to you. Just yesterday they were making literal mud cakes with great gusto.

b) This is the earliest and most insane mid-life crisis I've ever heard of. My hope is that Sestia Vaticana, being a charming and spirited lady, will right you before it's too late. I found her very pleasant when I met her, please don't ruin her with your stupid. Of course we'll be there.

c) I see you're looking to break the fingers on your other hand. As long as you don't smuggle in any ale I would be delighted to join you and Aulus Calpurnius as you tell us the full story of how this indescribable series of events came to pass.

Your friend,

Titus

@Sara

• Haha 2