Caecina laughed with him, a little winded. "Free from the Greek menace," she said, grinning. Marcus really was her partner in crime, always up for an adventure or doing something fun. As long as she was with him, she knew she would enjoy herself. Now, they were closer to the market, but not quite there yet, paused for a moment to catch their breath. She realized that they were holding hands and drew hers away, suddenly blushing and averting her eyes. "I hadn't thought that far yet... I thought Astraea would see us for sure." But she hadn't and for that, Caecina was grateful. "What do you want to do?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Hopefully they would not get into too much trouble for this - just running away from their body slaves and the guard watching them! But Astraea had been occupied and Silvanus wouldn't tell and hopefully he'd talk to the guard. And who knew, maybe Silvanus and the guard did follow, but at a distance. Marcus didn't see them anywhere though and he was fine with being along with Caecina. It was daytime anyway, the worst that could happen was a pickpocket, right? 

Not right, apparently holding hands was still not right when they were all alone. She pulled her hand from his and blushed and Marcus tilted his head, watching her as she wasn’t sure what to do.

“I just want to spend time with you… I do enjoy your company a lot, you know that, right?” Marcus said with a smile to her, “Come on, let’s find that honey cake first. Maybe on the way, we’ll get another idea.” He was dancing around the subject, he wanted to ask her about what she thought of the kiss a few weeks earlier and he wanted to know what she thought of him, besides just their friendship. But he wasn’t sure how to ask such a thing. It was different than spending some time with a random whore at the brothel… Caecina meant something to him. But he didn’t know what he meant to her.

@Echo

• Like 1

Caecina glanced up at him and instantly felt bad when she saw his tilted head. She hadn't meant to be harsh or to alienate him when she pulled her hand away; these feelings were all so new and confusing, after years of just being friends with the boy. All her past crushes had been skin-level and hadn't really meant anything to her. But Marcus was different - he really understood her and he was so fun to be around! She wanted to be open with how she felt, but she didn't want to ruin their friendship or make things awkward with the rest of the family. Caecina felt so confused! 

The one thing she did know, though, was that she liked Marcus. A lot. He said that he enjoyed her company and she smiled briefly at him. "I enjoy spending time with you too, Marcus." He was dancing around the subject he really wanted to talk about, she could tell; but should she prompt him or just let the day progress? "Wait," she said quickly. Where they were was relatively alone, and with a quick glance around her, Caecina could see that no one was paying them any attention. "I know you want to talk about that day by the creek..." She bit her lip, unsure of how to proceed. "And... well, I suppose I ought to just come out and say it, oughtn't I?" One more pause, her heart fluttering. "I like your company Marcus. But it's more than that. I like you."

Instantly, her cheeks burned red again and she looked away, embarrassed. "I just wanted you to know that."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Marcus was confused about his feelings for Caecina. Before that day in the forest, he had not really thought into their relationship. He just knew he enjoyed spending time with her and that she was always ready for fun with him. He could persuade her into a lot of strange things, like running away from their slaves in Rome! But then they played that game and were talking about who they had a crush on and she asked him to kiss his… so he did, because he honestly could not think of another girl he could possibly have a crush on. And the kiss was returned. But then the following weeks, there was nothing out of the ordinary.

Now she confessed she enjoyed spending time with him too and he suggested they moved on to find that honey cake, but she stopped him. Marcus turned to look at her and she seemed uncertain, but then she began talking and he was paying attention. Very much so! She was blushing as she confessed she both enjoyed his company and she liked him. Liked him. And judging by her blushing cheeks, he knew what she meant.

He moved closer to her, took her hand in his again, “I… feel the same, Caecina.” He replied to her, “I didn’t know until that day, I had not given it any thought… but then…” Damn! Why was he so nervous about this? Marcus was never nervous! “I’ve been thinking about you a lot. It’s good we’re alone now.” He added with a smile. Gods, if Juliana learned about this, they’d never spend time alone together again! It was good that he now knew, but on the other hand, it made things more difficult. He didn’t want to think about that now. He just wanted to have fun, “Let’s make the best of this day, right? Is there anywhere in Rome you'd love to go, but never did?”

@Echo

• Like 1

She looked up at him as he moved closer, looking down at their joined hands. His hand was so warm and strong... And then he confessed that he felt the same about her! Gods, what did this all mean for their future? They couldn't broach the topic with Juliana, or at least, she felt like they couldn't. They were practically siblings, even though they weren't related by blood, so did they even have a future together? More likely than not, Caecina would be married in the next year or two, and it probably wasn't going to be to Marcus, but rather an older, more established man with connections. But she didn't want to think about that. Marcus liked her! He was speaking, saying that he thought about her a lot and that he was glad they were alone. "I'm glad too... Astraea would have ruined everything," she joked. 

Marcus continued speaking, saying that they should make the best out of the day. He also asked her where she would want to go in Rome but never had and she considered the question for a while. "That's a difficult question... Perhaps we ought to think of it on the way to get a honey cake?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Why did he feel so... almost stupid... when talking about his feelings for her? Marcus wasn't used to talking about his feelings to anyone. He was a youth, a boy that had grown into a man and he didn't talk about such things with his friends. They might mostly discuss when and where they'd go to the next party and how to get laid and which girls or slaves were prettiest. But Caecina, she was the prettiest of them all. Gods, sometimes some of them would comment on her and he didn't know what he'd do next time that happened. He might punch them. Why did one girl make him feel like this? But at least now it was out in the open... that they both liked each other and she allowed him to hold her hand again, now. This time she didn't let go. He said he was glad they were alone and she agreed, "She really would!" He said with a grin and had wondered what she wanted to do or where she wanted to go. But she didn't know.

"Let's do that." He said, squeezing her hand in his, gently... wondering if he should let go or not. He probably should. Rome had eyes and ears everywhere. But he didn't want to let go. If she didn't let go, he wouldn't either. Marcus started walking down the street with her, "You know what I most want to do?" He asked her with a playful grin as they walked and he leaned closer, "I want to kiss you again. But this... is not the best place." Not out here in the open, in the street, where everyone could see them. But where to go to be entirely alone with her, so no one would interrupt them or talk? Maybe a temple or something... if she would be up for it. She might, actually. They went this far and ran away from their chaperones and slaves, so why not take it a step further? Marcus forgot thinking about the honey cakes, now there was only the thought of her lips in his head and where he could catch them without prying eyes... 

@Echo

• Like 1

Caecina felt equally awkward and stupid talking about her feelings. She was used to playing the coquette, never letting a man know whether she really liked him or not, and stringing him along for her own amusement. But she didn't want to do that to Marcus. Her feelings for him were genuine, from a part of herself she hadn't really known was there. And it wasn't just that he was handsome (though her heart often skipped a beat just to look at him); no, it was that he truly understood her, the real her, not the one she put on for the benefit of others. 

She squeezed his hand back, pleased with the sensation. The future didn't matter right now. All there was was the present. She hadn't even thought of the fact that for some of the more rigid in Roman society, holding hands in public was an act of intention to marry. Marcus leaned toward her and whispered that he wanted to kiss her again and she grinned back at him. "I think I would like that as well..." She nodded when he said this wasn't the place, desperately casting about for the right place to do it. "What about the Gardens of Sullust? Or, perhaps a temple?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Was it so wrong, to have a crush on Caecina? She was his stepsister, not his true sister. They didn’t share a true mother or a true father at all, his step-mother just happened to marry her father and that was their connection. Flavia Juliana had taken care of him for as long as he could remember, but he knew she didn’t give birth to him and he knew he could not stay with her forever. And Caecina, she was beautiful and fun and she was sometimes up to no good, just like Marcus. She was a little older than him though and would possibly marry soon. He’d hate that.

But right now, he didn’t need to consider all that. He did however feel he needed to consider where he and Caecina could be alone so they could kiss and make out. Caecina grinned back at him, she wanted the same as him and had a few suggestions.

“The Gardens, I think.” Marcus said, he didn’t wish to anger the gods, although honestly, when you thought about it, there should not be a problem with their connection. It was only gossip that might ruin it all. So he would have to avoid that, for both their sakes… “Oh, there’s a bakery! Let’s get the honey cakes and retreat to the gardens…” Because he really wanted to kiss her again and not light kisses like last time. He wanted to really do it. Marcus let go of her hand, but only to walk up to the bakery and asked for a parcel with honey cakes. Once they were in his hands, he looked around. He still couldn’t see their slaves or the guard… so he gave her a smile and they would be on their way to the infamous Gardens of Sullust; the ultimate place for such mischievous acts!

@Echo

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1

Caecina wasn't pious in the slightest; she believed in the gods, of course, but had found that they never particularly affected her day to day life. But it probably wasn't a good idea to go and kiss someone she liked in a temple, no matter how tempting the privacy was. The Gardens it was - and Caecina was happy for it. She loved the Gardens, both for the privacy and the nature, as well as the juicy bits of gossip one could pick up there. The girl hoped she and Marcus wouldn't be the subject of any gossip. She watched as he purchased the honey cakes with a smile, then the pair continued on their way. 

Soon enough, they were at the entrance to the Gardens, and with no sign of the slaves or guards. Caecina was glad for that - Astraea might have picked up on their plans to go to the market, so that was probably where they were searching. That gave them ample time to get up to no good. The young woman looked around for a good place as they strolled through the gardens, settling on a secluded alcove surrounded by hedges and fragrant blooms. "Is this a good place, do you think?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Together they reached the Gardens of Sullust, as planned and there were still no sign of Silvanus, Astraea or the assigned guard from their common stepmother. They were still on their own and Marcus found he really enjoyed being out and about in Rome with Caecina by his side. Usually he went out and about with a pack of friends, so this was different… and enjoyable. Even more so because of the fluttering butterflies in his stomach… both because of their feelings for each other, but also because it was a bit forbidden and a bit exciting to run away from their slaves like this.

Caecina said little, until she found a proper spot for them. A little area with hedges and flowers, where they could be alone. Marcus nodded, “It looks perfect.” He said and walked first in and set the parcel with the cakes down on an old broken pillar there. Then he reached his hand out to her – he’d let go of her hand when he bought the honey cakes and he’d made sure to not hold her hand again while they were walking. They didn’t need the gossip, none of them did. But now they were alone, he could hold her hand, he could touch her… he could do as he pleased. And he could barely wait. If she took his hand, he’d pull her close against him, closer than they’d been before, even on that day in the forest by the stream. He cast one last glance around them, but didn't see anyone watching. So without another word, he leaned down to kiss her. 

@Echo

• Like 1

Marcus agreed that the spot she had chosen looked good and Caecina's stomach fluttered with nervousness. They were really about to do this! The feelings of excitement were only heightened by the fact that they had already done something that would be frowned upon by running away, and if they were to be found, they could be in heaps of trouble! But it was exciting all the same. She watched Marcus put down the honey cakes and then he took her hand, pulling him close so that they were very close, touching. Then he leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. 

His lips were just as she remembered them - warm, soft... She had often caught herself daydreaming about kissing him again, or reminiscing about their day by the creek. And they were here now, living out her daydreams! She met his lips, moving slowly at first, savoring every moment. Her free hand reached up and held the side of his face in her hand.

@Atrice

• Like 1

She took his hand when he reached for hers and she let him pull her close up against his own body. He could feel her warmth through his clothes; was she a virgin, he shortly wondered? She probably was, but he didn’t know. He wasn’t. But it didn’t matter. All that mattered now was that she allowed them to be so close and when he kissed her, she returned his kiss. Such soft and warm and tender lips, he thought, the kiss lingered and became another and they didn’t let go. He felt her hand on his cheek and smiled, wrapping his other, free hand around her waist. It felt so good to kiss her! He was no virgin, but he’d never kissed anyone and felt like this, before. There was a pleasant tingling in his body, like it was just right.

He didn’t want to stop, but he had to catch his breath properly and her too. Marcus gently pulled away from her lips, but he didn’t let go of her, “Your lips… it feels so good.” He said with a smile to her. He didn’t want to let go. But they should probably eat the honey cakes. And then maybe he’d kiss her again and her lips would taste like honey too.

@Echo

• Like 1

Caecina let herself melt into the moment, ignoring their surroundings entirely as she focused on the sensation of Marcus's lips against hers. She felt his arm wrap around her waist. She could feel the vitality and strength in his arm. Like her daydreams about her lips, she daydreamed about the rest of his body, too - particularly his strong arms. She wondered what it would feel like to be scooped up by him and carried. 

After a moment, he pulled back to catch his breath. Her own was a bit ragged, which left her feeling a bit pleasantly light-headed. He said her lips felt good and she smiled up at him (had she never noticed how tall he was before?) "It's better than I imagined," she said softly. His hand was still in one of hers, and she laid her other hand over it. 

@Atrice

• Like 1

He didn't think he'd ever kissed a girl before and it felt this good. It didn't matter suddenly, that she was his step-mothers step-daughter. And it didn't matter that Caecina was actually older than he. All that mattered was that it felt so good to kiss her and he'd been thinking about this moment for many weeks! She was so sweet. And her lips too. She didn't protest when he held her close and wrapped his other hand around her waist. She didn't seem to dislike anything he did. And when their lips parted and he told her how good it felt, Caecina's breath was ragged too and she smiled and said it was better than what she imagined.

"It is." Marcus agreed, "Do you want to sit?" He then asked, tugging gently at her hand so they could sit down next to where he'd placed the honey cakes. But as soon as he sat down, he didn't wait and didn't ask. He kissed her again, parting his lips against hers, wanting to taste her. When he let go he gave her a smile and finally reached for the honey-cakes and opened the little parcel made out of some kind of cheap fabric and handed her one... "So... what else are we going to do, but sit here and eat honey cakes and kiss...? Maybe play some sort of game again?"

@Echo 

• Like 1

Just like Marcus understood her personality, Caecina felt that he was experienced enough to know what she might like while they were kissing, such as wrapping his arms around her. Marcus agreed that it was better than imagined, and Caecina's heart fluttered at the idea that he had been daydreaming about her too, even though she already knew he had a crush on her. He then asked if she wanted to sit and she nodded, arranging her skirts as she sat. But before she could say anything else, he leaned into kiss her again. He certainly seemed to be enjoying himself! 

Caecina leaned into the kiss as well, following his lead as he seemed to be much more experienced than she was. He pulled back again and handed her a honey cake, which she accepted gratefully. She broke off a piece and ate it daintily as he asked what else she wanted to. "What, you mean there's more to do than to kiss and eat?" She gave a teasing smile. "Another game? Hm. I can't think of any! Do you know any?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Caecina followed him to sit down and after she took a moment to arrange her skirts, Marcus leaned in for another kiss from her. Yes, he was enjoying himself and why should he not be? Caecina was too gorgeous to not kiss now that he had the chance and more truths were out in the open between them. He could now kiss her and know she wanted the same. She returned the kiss once more, following his lead and he smiled into the kiss before he let go, wondering what else they should be doing. He had his own ideas, but maybe not here… or today. If she would even want to.

She teased him though, about what else they could do and mused about playing a game.

“Hmm…” Marcus said and picked a bite of a honey cake, then he smiled, “How about this… I tell you one truth and one lie about me. And you have to guess what is true. If you guess it wrong and lose, I get to kiss you. And then it’s your turn after.” He suggested, wondering if she’d like such a game. Really it was just an excuse to kiss her again. Gods he wanted more than just that, but not in a public park like this. It had to be done right, with her.

@Echo

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1

Caecina watched as he ate a bite of the cake, then grinned as he explained his idea for a game. It was transparent that he just wanted to kiss her again, but Caecina didn't care since that was what she wanted, too. Perhaps she should stroke his ego a little bit; she had found that men liked that a lot, and Marcus was probably no different. "You're much better at coming up games than I am," she said with a bright smile. "That sounds like a good idea. Let's do it!" 

@Atrice Sorry it's short!

• Like 1

It was probably very obvious why he came up with this particular game and especially the reward for the winner of each round. Really he should just have a go at her - kiss her again and see how much else she'd allow her to do. It was weird that he'd known her for so many years, but never considered how sweet her lips would be or how it would be like to touch her body, her bare and warm skin. But now he definitely considered it and he wanted it. Caecina gave him a bright smile, complimenting him for coming up with games and then she wanted to play the game of course.

"Maybe I'm only good when I have a good partner in the game." He suggested with a smile and then considered what to come up with for this game. One truth and one lie about himself; it would also be a way to find out just how well she knew him.

"Alright, so... I do like sleeping in. And I don't like wine." Marcus then said - this one was easy, or so he thought. Caecina should know the answer to this one.

@Echo

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1

It had been in the back of her mind that Marcus might not always be satisfied with just kissing her. She knew that men often thought much further along and were not always concerned with propriety. Caecina wasn't the most innocent and she certainly wasn't concerned with always following the rules, but she knew that things couldn't go very far with Marcus, even if she wanted them to. She had her reputation to consider, and if she was going to be married, her husband would expect her to come into the marriage as a virgin. She hoped she and Marcus wouldn't reach the point where they were in an awkward position like that. 

Marcus suggested that he was good at coming up with games when he had a good partner and she grinned. "You flatter me." The game began, with Marcus saying he didn't like sleeping in and he didn't like wine. "Well, we both know that you enjoy wine," she joked, remembering his bad hangover that led to their first kiss. "So the truth is you like sleeping in." 

@Atrice

Edited by Echo
  • Like 1

He might certainly not stay satisfied with just kissing her. He already wanted more, but he didn't know if she was that experienced and he liked her, so he didn't want to do anything she didn't want to do. He knew women were expected to stay humble and pure until marriage, but he also knew that wasn't always the case. Sure the girls he'd slept with hadn't been of such a high rank, but he also heard from some of his friends, that they knew girls who weren't as innocent as he thought Caecina was - and they somehow managed to hide that from their parents. Right now though, it was just a matter of when he'd get to kiss her again. He started out with an easy challenge for her though, even if his terms were that if she could not guess the right one, he'd get to kiss her. He forgot to decide however what happened, if the other person guessed it.

She knew of course he liked wine and that he also liked sleeping in. He hung his head, as if sad that she guessed it, but there was a spark in his eye, "You know me well, don't you? Now it is your turn, if you can come up with anything." 

@Echo

• Like 1

Caecina grinned as she got the question right. She knew he had set it up to be easy for her to answer, but also sensed that the questions would become harder, thereby allowing him a chance to kiss her again. "How could I not?" She asked with a teasing grin. She understood Marcus pretty well, both because they had grown up together and because their personalities were quite similar. "Alright, my turn. Hmmm.." Caecina was much better at talking about other people than herself, but she supposed she would be able to come up with a couple of things to say. "Okay. I like riding horses and reading poetry." She hoped he would get it wrong; she hoped he would assume that, like a lot of girls, poetry caught her attention and tugged on a romantic part of her heart, even though she really found it silly and unnecessary (unless a man was quoting poetry to compliment her, of course!) 

@Atrice

• Like 1

She grinned at his question and he thought her smile was very pretty. Almost as if it made her more tempting to him. And of course, how could she not guess it right, she did know him well and the question had been easy. Then she took a few moments to consider her statements that he would have to guess, which was wrong and which one was true. Then she said she liked horses and poetry. Marcus thought it was easy... it had been her who suggested they went for a ride all those weeks ago, where they ended up sharing their first kiss with each other. And he knew that she paid attention during their classes, but he also knew she'd rather do something else. He didn't think he'd ever heard Caecina recite poetry! So he knew which one was true, but he kind of wanted to guess it wrong, because he wanted her to kiss him.

"Well like any girl, I'm guessing you like poetry." Marcus then said, guessing it wrong on purpose. He knew her better than that, but he really would rather have a kiss from his pretty step-sister.

@Echo

• Like 1

"Oh, Marcus! I'm disappointed in you," she said in mock sadness. "I hate poetry! I thought you knew me better!" Clearly, though, he would know that as they had most of their lessons together, so he was just trying to get a kiss. Well, she was just fine with that! The young woman leaned in with a teasing grin, and kissed him. It was just a quick kiss not drawn out, but she enjoyed it all the same. 

After she pulled away, she smiled at him and took another bite of honey cake. "Alright, it's your turn again."

@Atrice

• Like 1

He did know her better - he did know she would read poetry because you kind of had to, but he also knew that it wasn't her favorite thing to do. In some ways, she was almost like a boy sometimes. She did of course enjoy pretty dresses and jewelry, but she also enjoyed riding horses and doing things she shouldn't... like having a small and secret picnic in the Gardens of Sullust with her stepbrother, whom she would kiss. Oh and like running away from the slaves and chaperones. Girls shouldn't do that, but he honestly wouldn't tell her not to.

"Sorry." He said, but with a grin, he guessed it wrong on purpose and maybe she even knew. Then she leaned closer to him and gave him a quick kiss, leaving him wanting more, but she pulled back with that certain smile of hers and said it was his turn.

"I suppose it is. Let's see..." He said and tapped his finger on his lip in thought, "I like Rome a lot. And I like Britannia a lot too." Maybe that would give her more to think on and would she know he didn't really yearn to return to Britannia, no matter how Longinus had tried to explain it wasn't the worst place. He was born there, but did he long to go back? Not really. Rome was a lot more fun.

@Echo

• Like 1

Caecina laughed as he apologized, enjoying their short kiss as well as her power over the situation - her power to leave him wanting more. She had always enjoyed teasing him, like when she had teased him the morning after that party they had attended together, which had left him with a bad hangover. This was like a whole new kind of teasing and she was thoroughly enjoying it. The game continued, Marcus thoughtfully tapping his chin as he considered what to say for the game. He liked Rome and Britannia. Well, it was clear that he liked Rome - they both did. And how could he remember Britannia? He was only a small child when they left it. 

"It's clear - Britannia holds a special place in your heart," she said. Like him, she had chosen the wrong answer on purpose in order to get him to kiss her again. This was a truly entertaining game! 

@Atrice

• Like 1