Sign in to follow this  
Pinaria Gaia

The Gods are Listening

Posted (edited)

Early June, 75 AD

Of course she knew she needed to find a new husband - or at least try. That was a woman’s role and lot in Rome. Grow up, get married, get kids… if you lose your husband, get another or your family will dislike you. She didn’t want to be disliked. And she did want to find a man who would marry her, for how else was Gaius to have a proper father to raise him? Her brother did well, of course, but he had a wife and kids of his own too and Gaius was just a nephew and not his own child. She needed a man of her own. But she also needed Lucia. She hoped her future husband would accept her. Pinaria could not imagine marrying and never embrace Lucia again, like she had done it the past year. She wanted it all. And somehow, she’d have it.

That’s why she had gone to the temple today – to pray and make a sacrifice, so that a good man of honor and bravery would somehow be hers. After all, as long as she was married, she was a good wife and mother. She did not spend time alone with other men and certainly, if she did, they never touched. Not that she didn’t know Gaius had not been as good as her at that; and he didn’t even hide it, but she didn’t blame him. She didn’t love him, but they were friendly with each other. And they were wife and husband and a wife did not sleep around. She had to make sure her kids were also his kids.

But now that he was gone, surely there was no problem with bedding someone else and especially not when the other person was a woman, who could not make her with child. It was alright, in her opinion. She hoped the gods would agree.

Quietly she left the temple and found a marble bench nearby to sit on and ponder, while looking up at the beautiful structure in front of her. She knew the gods had their own strange ways and that humans were probably nothing else than toys to them. She had lost so many people in her lifetime. People she cared about or should have cared about. She never even knew her mother! She hoped that she would not lose Lucia and that the next person she came to care about, would not disappear on her either.

She barely noticed that someone else joined her on the bench, until she moved to stand and her palla was stuck underneath the other person. It was somehow ripped off her and she stood with just her chiton on and a very surprised look on her face, "Excuse me!" She said, clearly upset, while reaching for her palla to get it back and put it on. This was very inappropriate! 

Edited by Atrice

June 75 AD

Yet another tedious argument with her father and yet another day where she would scare off another suitor, but Safinia found it as a good note for what she could not look for. Now, she understood she would have to marry at some point. But she would very much like to influence her father to make a good choice. She would wed whom he chose but no one ever said she could not influence her father. Her mother often said that a great woman can be an influence upon her husband or a good man. So, she, as the senator's daughter would be able to influence her own father. 

But this time, he would speak his piece to her that she was being ungrateful for all that he has given to her and their family. It was maddening, it was dumbing and it hurt Safinia. She did appreciate his politics status and stature. It did inspire for much of her personality and it inspired her every conversation she had. But she however didn't appreciate the fact that he thought her as the shy demure daughter. He should be proud of her. Not of just her brother. But it would take time. This much she knew. So no matter how much she complained, she would have to suffer in silence. It wasn't like her father could that MUCH drastic. Well, he could very well. But she would have to see.

But she had to get out of his hair and her mothers. So out to the market she went. She had been given earlier coin to spend on a new fabric for a new dress. If she was to meet more suitors, she might as well look beautiful while she did so. But as she was out and about, she saw a small group of other senator daughters. From time to time, Safinia loved to hear what they liked to gossip about and keep with her when she was at parties but she felt..disheartened when she heard them whispering about how she was cold she was being and that hurt. Safinia knew of her reputation but she was kind otherwise. 

Her attention was caught when she heard an excuse me in distress and recognized it as fellow friend Pinaria,she and her slave ran over and Safinia helped out the lady looking at the less than kind person. “How dare you. This poor lady has been through so much. There is no need for this. “ the person would then apologize to Pinaria and Safinia looked over to her friend. “How luck may have it that I heard the distress”

@Atrice

• Like 1

Pinaria was clearly upset, when she pulled her light blue palla to her and the woman on the bench looked almost startled by her reaction. But this was really unheard of, who would sit down and not notice they were sitting on another person’s clothing? Before she could say more though, someone else came over to her. What was her name? Safiana? She’d met her before, but like with most others, it was a good while since last time. Safiana scolded the plebian woman on the bench and the woman apologized and left.

“What luck indeed. At least it’s not ruined.” She said, arranging her palla once more. She’d come here without any slaves or anything, just on her own, but she saw that her sudden companion was followed by a slave.

“Safiana Laelia, isn’t it?” Pinaria said. The woman was quite a few years younger than her, but stunningly beautiful – how could she not notice this? “Thank you for coming, although certainly, this is not why you are out today. May I join you?” It was never too late to rekindle old friendships and alliances, she thought to herself.

@Emy

• Like 1

Safinia was sure to the fact this could all be just a mistake. She could have also startled the other women by her words. She did regret it. She didn't want to be known for a girl who was a shark. Sure, the rumor was true she did try to scare off her suitors. But only those she felt were not worthy. But she would have to be careful of that. She didn't want to become the lady who had no friends. But it was more so a common knowledge thing to look where one was sitting. But it was an innocent mistake. She nodded kindly to the apologizing woman. "It's quite alright, my apoligies..." She managed to say but the woman already had left. Oh well. She hoped that the lady heard the apology from her. One little correction about herself at a time. 

"It looks perfectly in tact. Though I think it was just a misunderstanding." Safinia replied as she looked to her own garments about her person making sure everything was in place. She looked to her slave who had already looked upon the fabrics of the market near them. Safinia knew that would be her first stop. This particular slave was a good and kind lady. She knew her colors and fabrics so she tended to value the opinion of her. "Don't let my slave frighten you. She wouldn't harm a fly. Not that I'm aware of..." She shook her head and laughed softly as her slave companion joined them.

Safinia didn't wince at the fact her name was said wrong. Common thing really. "Safinia. But it's a common mistake. It's the placement of the letters. But yes, I am she." She just hoped the first words were going to be about the usual gossip about her. She was looking to shed the image, not add more. But thankfully no words would come.  She nodded at the invitation, motioning for the lady to stand next to her. "Of course. I could use some company and someone's ear to speak to. You could also save yourself from unwanted grabbings. I am just out in the market for some fabrics. You are welcome to give opinion as well." 

@Atrice

• Like 1

Maybe it was a mistake that the other woman had sat on her palla, but that didn’t make it any better. Her new companion tried to smoothe things over though and said it was quite alright and apologized to the woman who sat on Pinaria’s palla. She arched a brow by that, the other woman wasn’t the one who was wronged here. But the stranger left and Pinaria was left with Safinia, who thought the palla looked fine and it was just a misunderstanding.

“Maybe it was.” Pinaria said with a shrug, it was over, the stranger was gone and she didn’t wish to worry more about it. Then Safinia said her slave would not hurt a fly and they walked together, while the other confirmed who she was and allowed Pinaria to accompany her and her slave to wherever they were going. Safinia didn’t mind the company and explained she wanted some new fabrics and could use Pinaria’s opinion.

“I’ll be glad to give it.” She replied with a smile to the younger woman, while they made their way to the nearby market stalls – the largest marketplace was not far from here, after all. She was curious about Safinia though, she was quite young and quite beautiful and she tilted her head, looking at the other, “I recall you weren’t married last time we met. Have you found a suitable husband yet?”

@Emy

To be honest, Safinia could use a few friends to converse with and give her advice. While she did try to make her own choices, she had her family speaking within her ear. Her mother asking her to ask this way and her father giving stern remarks. So having someone to speak to her besides her slave was always welcome. Plus she knew the lower class woman must be annoyed with her and she didn’t wish it to be. But. She tried.

Safinia nodded and two women began to walk. She could hear the familiar sounds of the market and the merchants calling out begging to buy their wares. The market stalls were local but the largest one is proably where she would find the materials she needed for a new dress after all. The ‘best’ according to her father. No doubt to pawn her at the next suitor. But Safinia also regarded it as a dress for the next gatherine where she could show her intellect. One that she was rather proud of. But indeed she knew it would possibly get her into trouble one of these days.

She laughed softly at the lady’s question. “I am still ever in the match for a husband and I’m afraid the field had slimmed.” She replied in honesty. Well, it was part truth. Safinia had slimmed the field more so because she got picky and ‘tried’ to scare the suitors off. “Okay so I may have slimmed it. I know I should pick one. But is it so much to ask for a husband that I could find pleasing upon the eyes and within the mind? My father is good as a senator, bless him, but he lacks in happiness for me. “ She sighed sadly as she looked to see more ladies they passed. They giggled. “I think it’s becoming a problem that I don’t know how to stop. Or even figure out how to fix.”

@Atrice

• Like 1