Dining With Potential

Emy

Safinia let the slaves fuss over her as well as her mother. It was only for a dinner with the family. No need to fuss over her. Or she had believed. Well the good thing for tonight was that she was wearing a new dress that was light green with simple in its designs with white sleeves to match it.  Safinia did like the material and it was much better than the utter chaos and tragedy that was pink. A good color to be certain. But it was just simply not her color. She was willing to try and apologize to her father for her behavior. While she did believe in her behavior,she also believed in making peace for it was too drastic. It was something she had to do.

As she made her way to wear the dining was, she spoke to herself practicing to what she was to say to her father. It was a simple one but it would be for the peace. She wasn’t about to change her ways unless she thought it would save her life. But maybe this way her father won’t parade her in a square like a livestock looking for a farmer. No it was the other way around. But regardless. She had to. Plus her mother would constantly lecture her.

As the young lady made her way into the dining area,she saw her father was waiting for her with....Praetor Tertius. This was indeed a shock. But not surprising as seeing as he was not the only of the senate to visit. Her father put down his goblet and walked over to her. “Ahh there you come come.” He ushered his daughter over and introduced her. Safinia was only a little bit confused as she looked to her father who cleared his throat. She bowed her head,speaking of the honor. Her father then excused himself out of the room leaving only the slaves in prescence. “It is a honor to receive you in our home..” She spoke. “But if I may pry to ask,why now? No disrespect to you good sir but you’re not one of the senate to visit my father. Again,no insult meant”

@Atrice

• Like 1

Tertius really had no huge plans for marrying again, but that did not mean that he wouldn’t cultivate friendships and alliances with other Senators. And who knew, maybe their sisters or daughters were interesting and had potential, even though he now had an heir in Teutus and another child on the way… although this time, it was also with a slave. It really wasn’t right of him to sleep around with the female slaves, it was incredible that he forgot the mistake he made with Teutus’ mother, but Charis just got under his skin somehow…

If he had to sleep with women, it would be better with a proper wife. So he had accepted the invitation from Lucius Safinius Regillus about coming to dinner at his place. He didn’t know Regillus’ plans of course, but the man had a young daughter who was just the right age for marriage, so he had his suspicions. He was accompanied tonight by his bodyguard Favian, as he walked through Rome and found the right house. He’d never met this Regillus before, or he had, but only at the Senate. They didn’t know each other well.

Yet he was welcomed inside and removed the cloak he wore, to reveal his clothes – tonight a set with a crimson tunica and a dark green and golden toga draped over the tunica. He stood with Regillus in the atrium and the two walked further in, discussing the weather and the current politics, until they reached the triclinium. Here they were soon joined by a beautiful young woman and Regillus introduced her as his daughter, Safiana Laelia.

“Pleased to meet you, Safiana.” Tertius said politely to her, looking her over of course, for how and why should he not do that? Suddenly though, her father had to leave and they were left alone. So it was as he suspected. Well she was very pretty, he thought. But she was even younger than Charis and did he really want to marry again? Of course, no harm in talking to the young woman. She spoke up, wondering why he’d come and Tertius smiled at her words.

“None taken, Safiana.” Tertius replied and picked up his goblet of wine again, “I was surprised by the invitation too, but I think I know now what your father wants. The question is whether it is something we want.” He added. It was far too obvious. They usually didn’t sociale, Tertius and her father, but now Tertius was here and her father had to go? He couldn’t have been just a tiny bit more subtle? "You really can't guess why your father invited me?" 

@Emy

Edited by Atrice
posted with the wrong account first

She nodded her head to Tertius in a kind matter. "Quite likewise. Assuredly so. " She wasn't going to be rude, even with the everliving suspicion within the back of her mind. She had only met a few of the fellow senators during the gatherings that her father and mother threw. So she could recall each one of them by name but the praetor she has not met before. Well, that was half true. All of the senators were at the more so gossiped and talked about. But yet never met the man in person. Perhaps he ignored her father's invitations. If so, he had won her compliments. She adored her father she did but every manner he took was to elevate himself..even if he would sacrifice her to do it. It was a game he was playing. A game more so at the expense of her. Well. If he wished to do so, she could very much as well play his own game. If need be. 

The moment she entered the room before, she had taken her eyes to glance upon the praetor. She would not deny the fact that he was indeed a handsome man. Lucky for any women. She heard how he was married once before. Widowed. But he had not sought a wife? Surely her father would not bring her to him. He was indeed much older than her. But one could barely tell. Plus he did have a son and heir. She supposed it would not be too much of a bad match. But then again, she had been left disappointed by others before. But then again, the standards for herself she had left upon so high. She could see the look upon her father's face. That was no unusual look. It was his...prideful look. Safinia knew that something would run afoul. He wouldn't dare subject her to a dining alone? What father would he make himself be? She assumed that when he excused himself it was to check on the wine. But she should have known better. 

The moment her father stepped out and with Tertius's words, that's when she knew. She shut her eyes and sighed. She muttered. "Damn you, father. Damn you by the gods." Once again he was overreaching his ability. Not being very subtle about it. That is what surprised her the most. "He left us to speak to one another on the hopes you would be a potential suitor for me. Not surprising. But my father is more of a host than this. " She wasn't going to comment on the fact that he was second guessing in a manner of how smart she was. "I half suspected it of him. Though I am quite surprised he was not subtle about it." She looked to one of the slaves who handed her a goblet pouring wine for her. She took the goblet in hand, sipping from it. "You commented if this present situation is something we both want. I have no problems against you. You're braver and probably more smarter than the past suitors who have come at my father's invitation. I commend you for it. Even if my father has weaved his words." She smiled politely to him. "I hope you do not think I am a deceiver like my father. I am far better company, I assure you."

@Atrice

Edited by Emy
Forgot the tag!
  • Like 1

Tertius wasn’t the type to beat around the bush on a subject that mattered to him. And this mattered. He was a widow and he had not remarried and now it was far too obvious, why Safiana’s father had left them to chat on their own. Didn’t the man see what he was doing? He had not uttered a word of the idea of a betrothal to Tertius, but it was obvious. He could have been more subtle. Did he really think this would urge Tertius to marry his daughter? She was very easy on the eyes and he honestly did not think he’d mind her in his bed, but… marriage? She was quite young too, he thought.

Safiana caught on too – stating the obvious, why they’d been left to talk on their own. She wasn’t surprised about her father hoping Tertius would be a suitor for her, but she didn’t look entirely pleased or interested either. Didn’t he want a husband? He let the girl chat more about her father not being subtle and then she sipped her wine, before commenting on the idea of her wanting to marry. She called him brave and smart and said she would not deceive him and she was good company. Well she tried.

“I am sure you are… far better company than your father.” Whether or not she’d deceive him, time would tell, “So you have nothing against me… and you compliment me very well, Safiana. You’re certainly smart too, but you have a mind of your own, don’t you?” He said with a little smile and glanced at the couches, “Should we sit, rather than stand? And then you can tell me if you are at all interested in me becoming your suitor. I imagine you’d prefer someone younger and perhaps someone more motivated. I have a daughter too, and I don’t know if you’re ready to become the mother of an 11 year old girl.” She’d be more like a sister to Antonia, he imagined, but a sister his father would keep in his bed. Oh Hector wouldn’t like it if he remarried, would he? Especially if he married such a young and beautiful woman. Well, he didn’t know if he would.

@Emy

Safinia would have to speak to her father on his tactics. But the man seemed to grow desperate in trying to find her a match. While she was not sure if this was indeed a suitor who would want to join in the race, she thought perhaps it could be a good chance to gain an alliance. You never know when you would need one. But what unnerved her is that her father seemed to lure the other man into a false sense of conversation. It wasn’t a good tactic. She worried for her father. Perhaps it would show he could not be trusted. Which is further from the truth. Her father could be trusted…he just made poor choices sometimes. 

Now her own reaction could have been painted in a better light. It’s not that she didn’t want a husband. Of course she did. But she would have preferred if it was through a proper ceremony or motive. A letter to her first would have been suitable as well. But she wasn’t surprised that her father would pull this. But with her words it was hopefully to dig her father out of the hole that he put themselves into. Or the one he dragged her into. Safinia thought she could either use the this conversation to drag her father down or lift him higher. Depending how it would all go.

She could sense the matter behind his words. “Surely, you don’t think I’m as much of a deceiver as my father. I am hurt by the fact. You wound me. My father is a good man is just…” She paused,trying to think of words. “He does have his own mistakes sometimes.” But she was surprised thusly by the compliment. “When I am allowed to speak thusly and express it, I am yes. I am my father’s daughter. Though I can understand you think I would possibly betray…I have more character. “ She felt like she was thanking him but also was stemming into her kind of defending herself. “Apoligies. I thank you for the compliment. I do not mean to sound defensive.”

Safinia nodded towards the seating and said “Sitting would be best, yes.”  She then began to take in and digest. How did her father come into contact with this man? But this provided an interesting question. It was the first potential suitor that had a daughter or that was slightly older than her. While she would say she would like a younger suitor, she cared more for mind and personality. (Except for the older older in age. But she highly doubted he was in that age range.) “Well. You do prove such questions. In truth, I am not all sure. You so far seem to be the smartest of all of the potential suitors I have met such far. But I am not sure quite of my answer yet. I have only just met yourself. ” 

@Atrice

• Like 1

He was surprised to hear her speak in such terms about her father, when she was the one who just admitted that he set them up. She called her father a good man, but that he also made mistakes. Tertius nodded, “I apologized if I have offended you, Safinia. That was not my intention.” He said in an attempt to smooth things over, before she admitted to being the kind of woman who would speak her mind. She said she had character and thanked him for calling her smart.

“I am sure you don’t.” Tertius said with a little smile, when she said she did not mean to sound defensive. Women with a mind of their own… it could go several ways. Either they thought themselves better than men, which of course they were not, and then they could be dangerous. Or they could be smart enough to understand how to play the man and use him. Well that could go badly too. And then of course, they could understand what was going on around them and choose to adapt to make everyone happy. Hopefully, she was that type.

Tertius then suggested to sit, and they took a seat both of them and he wondered if she would even consider him to be her suitor and explained why – since he was not young and perhaps not so motivated for marriage. And he had a daughter who wasn’t a baby at all anymore. Safinia gave it some thought and said she wasn’t sure – then she said he was smart. She seemed a bit uncertain, which was interesting, “Well then… I suppose the next step then is, that you get to know me better, so you can answer my question. Ask me anything. What would you like to know about me?”

@Emy

Safinia realized she proably didn’t need to defend her father as he could speak for himself. But however, this was not a time for that. She nodded in kindness to him. “Not offended me at all. If anything, the offense is towards my father for….making such a choice.” She replied. She wanted to hope that he would not see their family as one that could not be trusted. On the contrary, her father was a good senator and he did well for his politics but when it came to things he could take to heart, it was still a work in progress. He was so desperate to have her married but she didn’t think he would go through this far.

If she could go into another persons mind and try to nitpick and figure what she came across as. It was something she could look upon. It would also give her insight what she could work on.  “Defensive is not something I like to come across as. As my father’s daughter, I more let my words defend themselves. But I can understand how it could come across that way.” Safinia did want to come across to the fact she got even more defensive. She could be quite the conversationist. But she came across more as kind. Maybe with some brains as well. A little bit unusual for the roman woman. But could be quite refreshing. 

Safinia took a sip of her drink trying to think of what question she would ask.  That could be one in a legion full of questions. “I guess it is more an obvious question.” She was lying. It was to throw him off before she would ask the next question. It was one she found that every suitor was threatened by her about it. “How do you feel about a woman being opinionated when the opportunity calls for it? Say if it was to help your stances with people or help influence. Not speaking of me, before it comes to question.” It was a slight fib. Yes, it was about her but she was not about to reveal that.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Safiana said she had not been offended when he spoke of her father, who had set up this meeting without telling them about it – although the intentions were clear. And Safiana was beautiful, but Tertius still wasn’t sure if she was someone he’d marry. Maybe he’d been spoiled in the only marriage he ever had and now he could not find someone perfect to replace his late wife. Safiana however went on, said the offense had been towards her father and Tertius nodded, “My apologies.” It was all he could offer and he wasn’t sure why they kept talking about this. Safiana had said she had not meant to be defensive either and he commented on that.

She said she didn’t like to come across as defensive, but she let her words do it for her. Tertius decided however, that they should know each other better, and said she could ask him anything. Safiana sipped her drink, Tertius watched her bring the cup to her lips and how they glistened after she sipped it, while she was thinking. Finally she asked him a strange question, not about him really, but stating that she was opinionated and that it could be a help. Or, she didn’t say it was about her, but it was obvious to Tertius. She had proven already that she was outspoken.

“It depends on how opinionated the woman would be. It can be dangerous, to be open with your opinions here in Rome. You have to be careful about what you tell to whom. One wrong word could lead to your downfall.” Tertius said, “So I suppose… yes, it would depend. I might approve, but I don’t like it when things are out of my control. I’m sure you understand.” Tertius said and took another sip from his own drink, wondering why she would know. Was she actually considering this union?

@Emy

She shut her eyes as she made it sound like she was offended for her father. Safiana never liked to the fact that when she apoligized, she apologized to the fact that her father was insulted. If that made a small amount of sense. But she felt like things were not going well. That she came across as a brat of a daughter. She wasn’t. If she had meant to be, she was working upon that. “You do not need to apologize.” She spoke earnestly. “Many of us were at fault. But we can move past it now. Better to not focus on the past and more so focus on the future.” It was the same method how she calmed arguments when at social gatherings her father liked to hold. 

He did say she could ask anything. But what was clever about her question was that she never stated it was about her. Although it could be considered that way. She would not lie and say she was not opinionated. Oh she was. Very much so. But Safinia wanted to know what to watch out for. He was certainly not the first man her father would try to get to know in order to make a marriage alliance. Her question was certainly not for an consideration purpose. She wasn’t even sure if he would agree to it. Especially in the way it was arranged.

But alas, with his words, she seemed to understand that she was caught within her questioning. He was smart. That she very much knew. However, the stubborn deep within her made her bite her lip and wonder exactly what in the name of the gods he meant. She curved her opinions as well as the next roman woman. But she calmed when she heard his next words.”I completely understand.” She replied. “I only ask as I know several others have suggested opinionated women are no good. Now the question was more of a curiosity and I never said it was about me. Why nothing of the kind.”

@Atrice

• Like 1

Indeed it was always better to focus on the future rather than the past. Or focus on the present, really, because the future was always uncertain. It was one thing Tertius disliked but of course also one thing, he could not do anything about. The conversation went on however and Safinia asked what he’d think about an opinionated woman. As if he could not guess that she spoke about herself, with the way she had spoken to him so far. She tried to hide it well, that there was an unconstrained woman beneath her beautiful surface, but Tertius wasn’t born yesterday.

So he replied simply the way it was – explained that being open about your opinions could be dangerous and that he did not like it when things were out of his control. It would depend on the situation though, what he’d think of such a woman. If they would get along. His wife had been different and not afraid to speak her mind to him, but they got along well and outwardly, she was the perfect little Roman wife. They were more relaxed when they were alone though, for the few short years the marriage lasted.

Safinia listened quietly to his words and said she understood – and that others had said that opinionated women were no good. She claimed it was not about her at all.

“Of course not, Safinia.” Tertius said kindly to her, “Now… while we wait for your father to return, what should we do? When the host is gone, you must be the hostess.” Or else he might take over, something he would not mind, but he didn’t know what she’d think.

@Emy