Sign in to follow this  
Metella

Rolling out the welcome mat

"Dominus can go whistle," Attis informed her cheerfully. "He's done without me for two months, another night isn't going to kill him, is it? Anyway, if he does, I'll be the one moving, you won't need to go anywhere." He wound a loose strand of her copper-coloured hair around a finger. "Don't go anywhere," he added. "You can shift your things inhere, it's big enough for two of us, and better than your poky room. A bit better, anyway."

They were both slaves, neither of them lived in exactly palatial rooms within the slave quarters, after all. "I'll try not to mess up like that again, I bloody missed you."

@Chevi

• Like 1

Metella hoped Longinus was not going to call for Attis for the rest of the night. It would have been a pity to get out of the cozy warmth they found themselves in. But if he did, there was little either of them could do about it, unless they wanted Attis to go into exile again...

"Dominus can go whistle. He's done without me for two months, another night isn't going to kill him, is it? Anyway, if he does, I'll be the one moving, you won't need to go anywhere."

"Don't let him hear you talk like that" Metella warned him, half-joking. With the mouth Attis had, he was bound to piss off the dominus again unless he was more careful.

"Don't go anywhere. You can shift your things inhere, it's big enough for two of us, and better than your poky room. A bit better, anyway."

Metella sighed as Attis ran his fingers through her hair. They did not have much, between the two of them. Or anything, really, considering they themselves and everything around them was owned by the dominus. Not exactly the life situation one would get romantic about. 

"I'll try not to mess up like that again, I bloody missed you."

"You have to ruin it don't you" she huffed, wrinkling her nose at him. What, were they going to move into his room and make some babies? Metella was much more of a pragmatist than that. But she was also not in the mood to put up a fight. "I missed you too. But you know I don't do the wife thing."

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"You know, out of the both of us, I think most people would expect that you would be the one doing the pursuing and I would be the one reluctant to enter into any such sort of binding agreement," Attis said. "Why won't you, though? It would be so much more comfortable for us to both share a room and be regarded as contubernales." Gods knew that Attis wasn't the romantic sort - he didn't have a romantic bone in his body, but if it would help persuade Metella that it would be a far better arrangement for them to be contubernales than whatever they were right now, he'd learn to write (terrible!) poetry and strew her path with flowers and gods knew what else!

On second thoughts, Attis didn't have a romantic bone in his body - and would make a complete ass of himself, and Longinus would no doubt die laughing.

Screw Longinus and whatever he'd make of it; he'd never said Attis and Metella couldn't bunk up together. For real, permanently.

"You're too good for the likes of me, though," he added sadly. "Who is it who's caught your eye, then? The gardener? The baker's slave down the street?"

contubernalis: a companion, tent-mate, dorm-mate. In the plural, it referred to the two partners in a slave marriage

@Chevi

• Like 1

Metella sighed and rolled to her side, tracing her fingers on Attis' chest, halfway hoping she would distract him from his current train of thought. She really did not want to ruin a perfectly steamy reunion with talking about shacking up in one room and having babies or whatnot. 

"You know, out of the both of us, I think most people would expect that you would be the one doing the pursuing and I would be the one reluctant to enter into any such sort of binding agreement. Why won't you, though? It would be so much more comfortable for us to both share a room and be regarded as contubernales." 

"Would it?" Metella arched an eyebrow. Two people in one room, it just sounded crowded, even if it was with someone lie Attis, whom she actually liked. As for contubernales... she wondered what the dominus would think. 

"You're too good for the likes of me, though. Who is it who's caught your eye, then? The gardener? The baker's slave down the street?"

Metella's brow furrowed. She was not sure if Attis was joking or not, but either way she did not care much for his guesses.

"Both, actually." she deadpanned "The gardener, the baker's slave, the delivery boy from the butcher's, Vitus, Celsus, Chlorus, and your grandfather, you bloody idiot. So what?"

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"You don't even know my grandfather. Hades, I don't know him. And Chlorus is Florus now, and I hope he's finally had the guts to stop mooning over Sulpicius Rufus' body slave and actually do something about it - the pair of them were making eyes at each other so much a blind man could have seen it, and neither of them was going to say a damn thing." He grinned up at the cracked ceiling. "Trying to get the two of them together was about the only fun possible in that house - everybody there needs to lighten up, they're all sex-starved. Especially Sulpicius Rufus."

He'd stop asking Metella one day; too many refusals were bad for a man's self-esteem - which wasn't necessarily that great anyway when the man in question was a slave, the legal property of someone else.

"At least I've got a room and don't have to find some odd corner of the atrium to camp out in, like they do in some houses," he added, and sighed, dropping the subject. "So, how were things while I was away?"

@Chevi

• Like 1