Sign in to follow this  
Thessala

Drowning sorrows

It felt good, with the wine. He did want to drink it. He wanted to drink it and stop thinking about himself and what had happened. He wanted to not think about Salacia. And he mentioned to his companion how he wasn't anything but a freedman and that's really all he could brag about - which wasn't really anything at all. The woman seemed to pity him and he sighed, everyone pitied him, always. Manius pitied himself too and that was more than enough. He knew who he had to blame, but no one else truly understood. They just felt sorry for him but it changed nothing. 

Of course the woman asked into his status of freedman then and he gave her a look.

"I don't think he died happy. But it was after he freed me. I couldn't stop it." He failed there too, like so many other times. Like now... "It's a long story. I never asked for it, didn't want it. I was his most loyal servant. And it was a case of either punishing me for loving another man's slave or setting us both free to become man and wife. He chose the latter, for the sake of alliances and loyalty." Little good did it do any of them in the long run. It was such a long time ago though and it was strange to think about it. And about how Cyprianus had been disliked by so many people in Rome at the end, but if it wasn't for him, Manius would never have married Salacia and stayed with her for 15 years of his life. And now it was over. Manius drank some more.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"I don't think he died happy. But it was after he freed me. I couldn't stop it."

Thessala quirked an eyebrow. Not many slaves tried to resist being freed. She liked the ludus, but even she would have preferred having the choice of freedom. And here this man was, admitting that he did not want to be freed. There might be more things wrong with him, Thessala realized, than a mere dead wife. Wine. More wine.

"It's a long story. I never asked for it, didn't want it. I was his most loyal servant. And it was a case of either punishing me for loving another man's slave or setting us both free to become man and wife. He chose the latter, for the sake of alliances and loyalty."

"Alliances and loyalty. That's sweet." Thessala smirked. How romantic. "So... you laid some girl and you got freed? Gods, maybe I should try that." The matrons she had been visiting were clearly not doing the trick. "And you have not been working ever since?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

He noticed how she quirked an eyebrow, but most people did and they'd do more than raise a brow if they knew the full story. If they knew he was born and raised in Rome, as one of the common people... one of the plebians. And then chose slavery. And didn't want to be freed. If they knew. But this woman here, she did not know, yet she was curious. And he gave her a bit of the story about how he was freed and why it happened and she smirked at his story about alliances and loyalty. He glared at her though when she suggested Salacia had just been a good lay and you'd be free over that.

"She was more than just some girl I laid." He said to her, his tone dark. And she didn't think he had been working after he was freed. Why? That made no sense.

"I have been working. I worked for my master and I've worked at the slave market for over ten years now. But they took the job after the earthquake. There wasn't as much to do anymore. I have been working. And my wife was more than just some girl." He pointed out again, feeling quite upset over that. As if she was just someone he picked out and slept with as a way to be freed! He hadn't wanted freedom. And he loved her! More than the gladiatrix could imagine. Three times in his life, Venus had given him someone to love. And three times in his life, Fortuna did not think he was worth it and tore it from him again.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"She was more than just some girl I laid." 

Ooh, maybe there was still some fight left in the man, after all. He must have loved the woman, to take offense at that. Too bad. Thessala's chances at freedom would have been a lot better if she could lay some woman well and get freed for it. Oh well.

"I have been working. I worked for my master and I've worked at the slave market for over ten years now. But they took the job after the earthquake. There wasn't as much to do anymore. I have been working. And my wife was more than just some girl." 

The earthquake lost him a wife, and a job. Not much of a job, in Thessala's opinion, since the slave markets were a shit place, and for a former slave to work there, well... that was just wrong. Not that people could always pick and choose how they made money. Thessala wrinkled her nose and drank. At least she still had something to do, once the arena was opened again. "Keep drinking. It's the only thing that'll work."

@Atrice

• Like 1

There was definitely fight left in him, for the woman he'd loved 15 years of his life. For the woman he married and stayed with for such a long time. She did not deserve people talking ill of her, she would never hurt anyone. His former master had once said he'd kill her, if Manius kept seeing her and he'd feared for her life, for it wasn't her fault that he liked her and returned to her. It was his fault only. Luckily, it never came to that. Instead of killing her, she'd been freed along with Manius. Such a long time ago now. It seemed another life now.

He explained to his companion that he'd been working and what he did. He didn't really care for her opinion, few understood his outlook on life anyway. It might be wrong for a former slave to work at the slave market - or it might be right, as a kind of self-punishment for all the times he took life for granted. Besides, he had worked there before, before his first wife was taken from him. Not that he would mistreat the slaves or anything, like some of the guards. He was there to make sure they were safe and that they stayed there, until someone came to buy them. His companion didn't say anything, but he saw how she wrinkled her nose. Then she told him to keep on drinking and Manius did as told. 

"Is your plan to just sit here and drink all night?" He asked, after emptying his cup once more.

@Chevi

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this