Horatia blinked and shook her head, "Oh, no! Of course I am," She blushed, "I've always wanted to be a mother, a wife. I've been groomed for it and...I see my friends with their newborns and..." She shrugged, cheeks flushed, "It's women's things, I'm sorry." She waved a hand. A perfect male stranger didn't need to know that she'd felt broody since she'd first become a woman, and wanted nothing more than to be the proud wife on the arm of a distinguished man that cared for her. She clarified herself softly, "It's just...I'd rather not worry myself on it. I was...disappointed when my engagement fell through, and call me silly all you like but...I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high. Ultimately, I know I have a say but it is my fathers decision and he doesn't seem in any huge rush." She rather thought he'd miss her company, should she move into a husbands house. 

She smiled softly and retook her wine as he continued, sipping lightly before gripping it in slender fingers. "I'm afraid you'll find there are more exciting conversational partners than I at parties." She was perfectly adept at holding a decent conversation, of course, and could be a charismatic social person, but she was not a natural extrovert and it sometimes showed when surrounded by big, buoyant personalities. 

"I was minded to ask my father, actually, to host a dinner in celebration of Publius' birthday next month. I'd be delighted to ask both of them to invite yourself, if you'd be keen? And not just to fill the ninth space." She added with a sly smile.

TAG: @Sharpie

• Like 1

"Oh, don't apologise," Aulus managed, feeling a heady rush of relief at her words. "Of course you are, it's only natural. You shouldn't worry, there'll be someone." Me, I hope, said a small voice in the back of his head that he tried to ignore lest he tempt the Fates.

"I mean, how could any man with two eyes not fall in love with you the moment he saw you?" Like I have - and I hope nobody else does! Or at least, not anyone who can act on it before I can.

"Parties are deadly dull, but we have to face them like true Romans acing down the might of Hannibal or something. Everyone has duties they would rather avoid, after all." He picked up his own cup of wine again, a little self-conscious as he realised it might look as if he were copying her. "I should be very glad to be your ninth," he told her. "I shall strive my hardest to ensure that nothing will prevent me from attending. I'm sure you will be the hostess of the finest dinner party in the city and I should not miss it for anything."

@Sara

• Like 1

Horatia murmured, "You're too kind Aulus." She refrained from probing any further, as behind those bright blue eyes she saw cogs turning in his mind but dared not press him on what it could mean. No point getting one's hopes up, after all.

She couldn't help but tease him when he offered the opportunity, however; "Ahh, are all parties so deadly dull Aulus? I shall take any constructive criticism you have for the party that I hosted those weeks back when we were first introduced?" She arched a brow, her face stony at a moment before her resolve crumbled and she laughed, her face softening as she smiled. She was only teasing. "And I've not had a great deal of opportunity to host things on my own, living with my mother as I do - so I hope the dinner lives up to your expectations." She had a natural affinity for organisation and detail...but had to make a conscious effort to make sure it would be fun. "It should be, my father, Publius, myself, yourself, Renius Ammius Commius my fathers friend from the legion and his wife Livia, Decius Ausonius Silus and his wife Plinia - he's a local magistrate, and Publius' friend from his legion - Marcus, I believe."  She sipped her wine, "Hopefully not too dull?" 

• Like 1

"I didn't know you then, and it..." Careful, Aulus! "Well, it was more interesting than the governor's last party, anyway..it can't have been easy to hold your first social event in a place you don't know anyone." He sipped his wine. "No, that sounds very interesting indeed - at least, for those of us who can talk shop. I hope that you don't find it all too full when the conversation turns to military or political matters though."

She struck him as the sort who would listen to everything and then ask her father or brother about it all afterward. Her interest in the scroll she had been reading earlier spoke of a keen mind, even if some of the terms or ideas were beyond her just because she had no knowledge of what they referred to. 

She would make an excellent wife for the right man, if he did not expect someone to keep solely to women's concerns. 

@Sara

• Like 1

Horatia laughed, "If you find yourself bored in the military Aulus, a career in diplomacy would suit you - that was excellently deflected." And she shook her head at his question, "Not at all. I might not be able to contribute but I can listen, and there'll be other women there to speak to." Women who were older than her, and settled in their lives who would no doubt spend all evening prying into her life and her future worth with a fine tooth comb, but women nonetheless. 

Finally finished with her almonds, she eyed the rest of the food but the flutter in her chest had negated her appetite somewhat. She bit at her lip, eyeing the wares before settling on a solitary date which she picked up and picked at as she spoke. 

"And what of you, Aulus? I have such simple ambitions, wife, mother...what are your ambitions?" It probably sounded like prying and she remonstrated herself. She sincerely hoped he didn't see it as her sizing him up, which she wasn't - it wasn't her place to, but the question was borne out of genuine interest. 

• Like 1

"Well, I have the rest of my term as Tribune, and after that I think I want to put my name forward for quaestor, which will be in the next year or so. More personally, I would like to marry but I have not found the right woman, yet." Although the gods willing, I may have found her today - but he wasn't going to say that just yet. This was the first time they had actually spoken, he didn't want to move too fast and have everything go wrong. "I would like to rise through the ranks of the cursus honorum, but that very much depends on having the favour of the gods and the Augustus."

He was trying not to visualise what such a life would look like, with such a woman as Horatia Justina to share it with - one single conversation, Aulus!! You're letting things get away from you!

"Do you know how long you'll be in Greece?" he asked, hoping that the nervous wobble in his voice was not too noticeable - if her father was taking her away in the next few weeks or so...! He did not think he would be able to bear that - to meet the woman who seemed to be the perfect wife only to lose her again to the vastness of the Ionian Sea and the duties of his rank and career choice would be beyond anything.

@Sara

• Like 1

Horatia smiled to herself at his ambitions - classic, for a man of his age and station, but the emphasis he placed on familial life was sweet. "Oh I have no doubt you'll rise through the ranks, Publius speaks very highly of you indeed - a bit with jealousy, I'm sure." She added afterwards as a small tease. Her brother was brilliant capable himself, but he always made a point of commending Aulus' drive and intellect when the man's name cropped up from time to time. And to be favoured by Publius was high praise indeed, as he'd inherited their fathers stern personality more than herself and her younger siblings.

She glanced sideways at him and tossed her hair back over her shoulder so it fell over her back, shrugging lightly; "I'm not so sure - it was supposed to be a few months at least, but I suspect if Father has his way he'd stay here until my Mother dragged him back by the hair of his neck." She chuckled, "Why do you ask?" She enquired, projecting coquettish innocence. 

• Like 1

"Does he?" Aulus couldn't help brightening a little at that. "He's an extremely capable man himself, I'm sure he will have a most excellent career. He's a very decisive sort when immediate action is needed and not everyone can say that - far too many men waffle and lose the opportunity."

He shifted in his seat. "I... Horatia Justina... We've only just met, properly... I... Gods, I didn't expect to be trying to say this today!" He ran a hand through his hair and took a breath. "Would you have any objection if I... If I were to go to your father to ask whether he would have any objection - now I'm repeating myself."

He set the cup back on the table and tried to get a grip. "I'm honestly not usually this tongue-tied! Would you object if I were to ask your father for permission to marry you?"

He'd finally got the words out and reached for an almond in sheer relief that he hadn't messed it up any worse - if he tried to make a report and fell over his words as badly as that, he'd get laughed out of his commander's presence and have to live with being mocked for the next six months at least.

@Sara

• Like 1

Horatia felt like her heart had leapt into her mouth and she let out an incredulous, choked "What?" As he finished speaking. Usually  the epitome of a composed, refined lady - she for once in her life, felt utterly and completely flustered. She watched him with wide, stricken eyes for a moment before she managed to catch her breath and actually speak again. "We...we've only just met, y-you wish to marry me?" Not exactly the romantic answer he was undoubtedly looking for, but Horatia was a sensible sort of woman foremost. 

She shook her head again, "Of...of course I wouldn't object," She finally clarified with a soft smile now her senses were returning to her and her heart - thrumming against her ribs - started to return to a more normal rhythm. Out of the corner of her eye she swore she saw her body slave lean against a pillar for support, lest she faint. 

The worries she had about potential spouses were mercifully mitigated in Aulus' case; he wasn't too old, he was very handsome, Publius spoke highly of him and his kindness today was something most men would not indulge. "Would...would your father not need consulting too?" She asked - ever the practical woman, although beneath the practicalities a grin lit up her face and her slender fingers couldn't stop trembling in anticipation. 

Edited by Sara
  • Haha 1

His initial assessment of Horatia's capabilities was confirmed when she enquired about letting his father know.

"My father's back in Rome, of course I'll need to write to ask him." He had rather sprung it on her - if the truth were known, he had rather sprung it on himself. He certainly hadn't expected to leave this house potentially betrothed, when he'd just come to see his friend. Publius would be kicking himself for being out today, probably. 

"Doesn't that party you held count?" He asked, his eyes wide and a teasing look in their blue depths. Of course it didn't, they had passed greetings and that was about it, that night. 

"I'll go away and come back and ask another time if you want, though," he added. "I wouldn't want you to be uncomfortable - and I think your slave there looks ready to faint. Or throw something at me for disconcerting you."

It wouldn't be a quick marriage, they would have to wait for Tiberius to give his approval (or not) but it was a good family, as old as gens Calpurnia, Aulus thought. Senatorial, a good lineage with healthy sons to carry on their own line. 

"You can take time to think it over, ask about me among the governor's staff - I wouldn't want you to regret anything," he added, determined to be ruthlessly, scrupulously fair to her after the sudden shock, to both of them. 

@Sara

• Like 1

"Of course, of course." She nodded as he agreed he'd have to write. She suddenly felt quite remarkably self-conscious. Aulus was from a great family, she knew that. What if she wasn't a good enough bride of their only son? Her father would likely rubbish such thoughts if he heard them, although she couldn't shake the doubt. It wasn't as if they could simply pop by to inspect her at any rate, either. 

He was so sweet! So considerate! She blinked and glanced behind her at the slave, who had just about recovered from the shock although was casting Aulus a very clear glare. "I..." She didn't know what to say. Her gut told her she wouldn't regret this, and the fates had obviously divined that they be together - why else leave her alone the one day he chose to visit? "I don't need time," She said after a momentary pause, raising her eyes to his, "I'm happy...more so than that, to say yes." She swallowed the lump in her throat and tried to keep her smile soft and gentle but it stretched into a wide grin before she could help it. 

Something just felt...right. And whilst Horatia was usually so meticulous with her planning, for once she didn't want to spoil a moment without overthinking. But, she had thought about it. Any nagging doubts she had, could be easily managed, she had a plan. She would accept today - as she had done, but ask her father to delay his response until she had time to ask around, do a little digging, meet him again once or perhaps twice before he accepted (and this was counting on the fact he would...although her father was stern and stubborn at  times, so it wasn't a given). Aulus could have the satisfaction of her acceptance, and she could have the satisfaction of meticulously researching him before a final decision was made by her father. 

One question, however, couldn't be answered by asking around and she spoke tentatively, leaning in a touch. "May...I ask, why me? Surely there are plenty of women who would make a perfect bride who you know better?" 

• Like 1

"Oh gods. I might know them better but that simply means I know their conversation is dull, or they spend all their time primping and preening and who knows what else. You would rather spend your time in the garden reading something that you don't completely understand, just so that you can join in a conversation, or at the very least ask a question or two, without sounding foolish. I would rather be able to hold a sensible conversation."

And she was from a good family - and now his thoughts were repeating themselves. 

"And only a blind man would fail to see that you're a very beautiful woman. One of the Hesperides, perhaps, with that colour hair. Or maybe one of the Muses."

He wanted to kiss her, but he was certain that if he tried that, he would find himself laid out flat by Horatia's slave woman who was glowering at him as if she could set him on fire just with the power of her glare.

@Sara

• Like 1

She felt colour come to her cheeks and glanced down at her hands. "You'll be shocked to learn, I'm sure, that most men don't entirely share that sentiment." She grinned up at him, joking, "I was told by a potential suitor that if I was to spend all my time reading, he couldn't marry me. I tried to explain that of course, duties and family come first but I think he was horrified by a woman reading for leisure at all." She chuckled and tucked a lock of bright hair behind her ear. She wanted to reach out and take his hand, see what it felt like, see if it fitted but held off. Instead, she murmured. "I...think you'd make me happy, more happy than I deserve, probably." 

She reached out to touch her hair at his compliment, her cheeks still flushed. "Am I to understand then Aulus, that you don't like your women so...fashionable?" It was a teasing statement, but she followed it up with an amused grin and; "You barely glanced at me at the party when I had tried to make an effort, emulate the great and the good matrons and women I've met. Perhaps that's where I've been going wrong thus far?" 

"Would...you have me speak to my Father? Or, I know he has a free afternoon tomorrow, should you wish to speak to him yourself." She really wasn't sure how these things were supposed to work - obviously! She had never been spontaneously proposed too before! "I...obviously can't make any sort of impression on your parents from here, but...I could perhaps write a letter of my own to them?" 

• Like 1

"Well, I'm glad to let you know that I'm not most men," Aulus said and braced himself a little before reaching for her hand. If that slave woman was going to lay him out cold, it would be worth it. 

"I can't promise to make you happy, but I can promise you I'll do everything in my power to make you happy," he told her. "You deserve to be happy, though. And you may be as fashionable as you please. I'm sure you're a leader of fashion, or would be, given the opportunity."

He smiled at her, his heart feeling more full than he could remember. 

"I'll speak to him - though of course you should too, if you want." It would be... odd, if she didn't, of course. Receiving an offer of marriage was hardly an everyday occurrence, after all. "And I think my mother, at least, would be pleased to receive a letter from you. I would much prefer you both to meet, but obviously that's impossible for now."

@Sara

• Like 1

She felt a bolt of something akin to lightening shoot up her arm as he took her hand and breath left her chest. That familiar, odd tugging sensation in the pit of her stomach started again although who knew what it meant. She gripped his roughened fingers with her own, softly, but her thumb absently ran across the skin of his knuckles. 

"That you'll try is enough for me." Horatia was far too practicable to believe in such things as love at first sight, but she was content that there was something here to lay a foundation on. Something good. His smile lit up her chest and she felt as if it may explode, or that she'd catch fire at the slightest movement from him. She'd have to speak to her body slave about this sensation, worried for a moment that it might not be something...normal. Her mother certainly hadn't spoken of feeling so...heated. She vaguely remembered a few passages in her scrolls that did, but she'd have to do more research. 

She smiled softly, "I will write to her, I'd be glad to...after you've spoken to my father, of course." No point raising the woman's hopes (or souring her...) should her father then decline Aulus' suit, or Horatia's own research produced something negative. "I hope I'm the sort of woman she'd have chosen for you." She'd heard about hellish mothers-in-law from friends and acquaintances. Gods you're getting ahead of yourself here Horatia! But another thought struck her and she blinked up at Aulus, still softly holding his hand, "When...when does your term here finish?" 1

According to our timeline, June 61AD was when he and a 7 months pregnant Horatia returned to Rome, a year and seven months on  from this meeting and eight months on from their wedding. 

• Like 1

"I think your slave is attempting to set me on fire just with her glare," Aulus said, unable to stop grinning. Horatia's hand felt soft and smooth in his. "Of course I would try, I wouldn't expect you to be unhappy if there was something I could do to change it."

Her smile transformed her face, there was nothing he wouldn't do if doing something meant he got to see that smile every day.

It was strange how easily he had slipped into thinking of daily life alongside this woman whose existence he had barely been aware of a few hours before!

"Hmm. Eighteen months, I think, or thereabouts. I will be returning to Rome once my posting here comes to an end. What will happen after that is in the lap of the gods, of course."

He was young to be considering marriage, he knew that, but not so young that it was unreasonable, especially for a patrician and the son of a former consul. It might make his future career path harder, of course; if he had a military posting somewhere, Horatia would not necessarily be able to accompany him there. Not until he had attained a certain level of seniority, anyway.

"Do you... Do you think your father will approve of me? A prospective husband for a daughter is rather different than a friend for a son, after all."

@Sara

• Like 1

"I wouldn't be averse to eighteen months in Greece," She said with a coy smile, "I'll be the talk of my weaving circle back in Rome though; Horatia Justina luxuriating herself on an extended holiday in Greece and returning with an esteemed husband." She chuckled. She was sure that gossip would spread as soon as the families agreed, and no doubt there would be rumours. She loathed gossip and chatter but she had heard all of the idle talk when Sevenia had found a husband and tied the knot in Hispania. Gods she dreaded the thought of being subject to the same vicious talk. 

How sweet he sounded! Almost nervous. A frown creased her brow and she found herself unconsciously squeezing his hand a little tighter. At her realisation of what she had done, colour came to her cheeks. She was about as experienced with men as any woman her age and station, which was to say, not all. 

"I should think so," She said a measured tone, "He...likes men who are sure of themselves, and wants somebody like that for me I think. He turned down previous suits because he felt the men had no spines, or were weak willed." She swallowed, "He was a military man in his youth and appreciates that. I just...think he wants somebody supportive for me, and one who can give him grandchildren as he has none now." Her colour deepened. She used her spare hand to sip at her wine and nervously flicked those feline blue eyes at him, "Dare I ask if your parents would approve of me?" 

• Like 1

"Well, they would certainly approve of your family. gens Horatia is as old as gens Calpurnia, after all. Maybe more so, and there have been several famous Horatii. For you, personally... You are a dutiful daughter, coming to Greece with your father. I don't think they could possibly object unless they want everyone to think they're unreasonable and..." He shrugged. In ordinary circumstances, a union between the two families would be something their fathers would surely have plotted for years - for the two of them to pre-empt any such thing. He very nearly asked if there might be some sort of arrangement in place for Horatia, but she would not have responded favourably to him if there were any such arrangement or even some sort of formal agreement.

"You remind me of Calpurnia Praetextata, a little. Something of the same... forthrightness," he said. The two were not so alike that he had brotherly feelings towards the woman whose hand he was holding, though.

@Sara

• Like 1

Horatia smiled softly. She was proud of her family, immensely so, and just wanted to make them proud. What more could a noble daughter really do, after all? "You're too kind Aulus." Gods she felt mildly terrified at the thought of meeting his parents once already betrothed. Surely his mother would be horrified at being unable to properly vet her suitability as a bride? She was sure her own mother would be fuming should she not have a say in Publius' eventual spouse. 

Her nerves gave way to amusement though, as he spoke and she arched a brow - testing the limits of his humour; "Should I be concerned you've proposed marriage to a woman in the image of your sister?" She arched a brow and chuckled, tucking a stray strand of auburn hair behind her ear. "And I'm quite sure nobody's ever described me as forthright before..." Reserved, aloof, perhaps, but not forthright. She didn't doubt that she could be forthright in the right circumstances, but she didn't have much scope to be with her somewhat overbearing father and brother. 

"I don't know how long you intended to stay but my father was due to be home this evening with Publius...if you wished to wait. Obviously, I don't mean to rush you if you wished to do it in your own time but...I don't enjoy lying and if somebody asks me how my day was I may struggle to say uneventful..." She chuckled. 

• Like 1

"Jupiter! The very idea! No - I meant, that you remind me of her, a little, not that I thought you were the same as her in every tiny thing. Who would want to marry their own sister? We're Roman not Egyptian!" The very un-Roman marriage arrangements of the Ptolemaic Pharaohs were equal parts fascinating and abhorrent to any right-thinking Roman, after all. "You are... very singular - and I know most people won't think of that as a compliment, but honestly I mean it to be. I don't think I could bear to marry a mouse of a woman who would just go along with whatever anyone says to her."

He really ought to go before he completely inserted his foot into his mouth, down to the knee.

"I'll go if you want but... Would it be easier for you if I went, or if I stayed?"

The faces the slave woman was making at him would have struck Medusa green with envy, he thought, catching sight of her again as she tried to gesture to Horatia that this lout should be thrown out into the street where he belonged and the door barred against his ever coming back into the house.

@Sara

• Like 1

Horatia chuckled at his flustering. It was amusing, bless him and a little surprising. She would have thought a man of his class and family would have had plenty of practice charming the ladies and preparing smoothed out, wrinkle free speeches on the virtues of the gentler sex. Instead, he had repeatedly put his foot in his mouth in a way she found endearing rather than concerning. She merely arched a brow at his compliment...if, indeed, it was a compliment.

She was a little struck for how to respond and considered his words for a moment before shrugging lightly, slender fingers still enclosed his own, "I'm not somebody to openly speak out," She watched him cautiously as she spoke, "I'm afraid there's far more vivacious women than I if you wish for a wife to boss you around. But...I have my opinions, I just simply try and air them at the appropriate moment." And with the right company. She knew precisely how her father enjoyed suggestions to be phrased, worked out through years of living under his thumb. She suspected, in time, she'd understand the intricacies of a husband's mind to know exactly how and when to interject and voice opinions in a way that was not overbearing - but it was a fine art. 

She shook her head, "I don't wish for you to go but..." She winced, and overheard the very audible sigh from her slave woman, "I wasn't prepared for company and can offer you scant entertainment." Her lips twitched in amusement, "I had been planning a day of reading and catching up with correspondence. Hence..." She flushed a little as she gestured to her undressed state. 

• Like 1