Aeterna Roma RPG

Late September, 75 AD

Wulfric was still trying to get used to this huge city. He was quietly trying to figure out more about his father, but the people he encountered in the streets and taverns, that cared to talk to him, didn’t know the man. Apparently he must be wealthy, as Wulfric assumed, since people who were less wealthy didn’t know him. Some had given him a weird look though and then just went on their way. As if it made no sense that a man dressed like Wulfric should want to get in touch with a man named Varus.

Today was just another of these days. Wulfric had managed to find some actual work, working in a warehouse mainly with moving sacks of grain and other things, from one place to another. Or onto carts. Something like that. He was strong, after all. And today he’d been doing just the same all morning and was paid in the shiny coins, that he added to his purse and then made his way out into the marketplace to find something to eat.

A stall selling purses caught his attention though, his own was getting rather worn and those they sold here were very fine. Good quality leather, he could tell. Wulfric purchased a light brown leather purse and then moved away from the shop to attach it to his belt, a little bit away from where the crowds were, because he understood that you should watch your coins carefully and no one should know how much you had on you. With his back to the marketplace, he opened the belt and slipped the old purse off the belt and began moving things from the old to the new one. Unaware that from behind in the shade of a building, he might look like someone else entirely.

@Echo

• Like 1

Aglaea was still trying to recover from the events a few days prior. Finding out she was pregnant was one thing, but then having to tell her mistress that she had slept with her husband in order to bear him a child - well, it was quite another thing. Secundus had seemed pleased enough with the news. Livia had been right about another thing, too - the news that she was with child had gotten Secundus to leave her alone, having no reason to invite her to his bed now that his goal had been accomplished. However, her news had come with some other changes - Aglaea was now followed every time she left the house, regardless of her destination. It seeemd the father of her child wanted to be sure of her safety. 

Today, Aglaea had ventured into the market for a few necessities of Livia's, particularly replacing her cosmetics that had run low recently. Livia entrusted such tasks only to her most seasoned servant and the Judean was just glad to escape the house, which had an oppressive air. She had still been contemplating what she should do about the situation - was it morally acceptable to bring a child into the house, knowing he or she would be raised by Secundus of all people? She knew she couldn't get rid of the child before it came, and she already felt such a connection to the life growing inside of her. As she listlessly perused the cosmetic stall for the products she needed, she glanced up to see a familiar profile. 

Was that Tertius? Aglaea quickly purchased the items she had been holding and pushed through the crowd toward the man. That was what she needed - advice. And who better to give advice about such a situation than Tertius, a member of Secundus' family? "Dominus, may I have a word with--" She stopped as she drew closer, realizing her mistake with a touch of surprise. She had been sure that this man was Tertius. His profile had been so similar, but this clearly was a younger, different man. "Oh, my mistake. I thought you were someone else."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Despite having been here for weeks now, Wulfric still knew very few Romans well. There had been that nice guy he met on his arrival here, Iophon, and he had been very helpful and kind towards a newcomer in this city of cities. It was almost a country in its own, Wulfric would still say that much. So many people here, they lived so closely, and yet so few seemed interested in others. They didn’t work together, they didn’t know each other. It was not like the villages and farms back home, not at all.

So he certainly didn’t expect anyone to approach him and say they knew him or thought he looked like someone else. But as he stood there he suddenly heard a woman’s voice behind him, as he closed the belt with the buckle. He turned around. She’d called him ‘dominus’ which he now knew was something slaves often called free people of Rome. It meant master, or something like it. Why did she address him like that? She looked kind and friendly, she’d apparently thought she knew hi, but then said she made a mistake as she thought he was someone else.

“Apologies, that I am not who you… looked for.” Wulfric replied, looking her over. She was very pretty too, but had this look in her eyes, as if something weighed down on her shoulders and kept her down and he could not help but somehow worry about her, “Are you alright… kwenā?” He didn’t know her name and wasn’t sure what to address a woman with, who was not a free Roman, so he used a word from home, that he’d use for a woman.

@Echo

• Like 1

Aglaea was still confused at her initial thought that this was Tertius. Was she losing her mind? But surely not. Now that she looked closer, he did somehow look like the man. Something in the face, the nose or the eyes maybe. The hair color? She realized she was being a little strange and shook herself out of it. "Goodness, that's not your fault. I was just so sure..." She laughed at herself a bit. "Forgive me for wasting your time." She was just turning to go, when he looked over her, asking whether she was alright and calling her some strange word she'd never heard before. 

"K... kwena?" she asked, approximating the word as best as she could, though it was a poor imitation. "What does that mean?" In her interest in the word, she had forgotten to answer his previous question, though her answer would have been far from honest. She was very much not alright, but she'd gotten used to living in such a state. "Sorry - are you, by chance, a member of the family of my master, Secundus? You look quite a bit like him."

@Atrice

• Like 1

She gave him the strangest looks while he spoke to her, apologizing that he was not the man she hoped he’d be. He wondered whom she suspected he should be though, but all things in good time. She said it was not his fault that he wasn’t the right guy, and of course it wasn’t, but still… and now she laughed and said she’d wasted his time. Wulfric didn’t know if she wasted it, he hadn’t been busy, after all. And for some reason, she had a strange concerned look about her and he had to see if he could help her.

She didn’t answer though, instead she stopped by the word he used for her and didn’t know what it meant… of course she didn’t, “I… it is just word from my land, to call… woman. How else you want to be spoken to?” He wondered, and then she went on by asking if he was a member of her family. She mentioned a master called Secundus and that Wulfric looked like him. Secundus, that was not his father’s name, that was not what his mother said. But had she not said his father had a brother with him, in the military. Not that she had spent time with him and she could not recall the name. It would be quite a coincidence though, if this woman should be working for his father’s brother!

“Maybe? You know if your master… Secundus,” He spoke the name slowly, hoping he pronounced it correctly, “… was he in military when he younger? Near Germania? You know?”

@Echo

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1

Aglaea gazed at him curiously as he explained that the word meant woman in his native tongue. She hadn't noticed his accent before, but now she focused on it, it made sense. He asked what else she wanted to be called. "Oh, just 'Aglaea' is fine - that's my name." He did look somewhat like Tertius, but there were certain features that weren't like Tertius's. And obviously the accent was different. 

The young man asked whether her master had been in the military when he was younger, then mentioned Germania. She almost laughed out loud. Every servant in his household knew that something had happened in Germania - it was one of his favorite topics to have nightmares about or to pace around muttering about. "Yes, he was. He was in Germania when he was younger, but was captured or something... and then returned years later." She looked around again, realizing she might be keeping him. "I'm not keeping you from anything, am I? I can go."

@Atrice

• Like 1

The friendly woman was patient while he explained what the word he used for her meant, and then she said her name was Aglaea. He said it quietly to try and pronounce it, they all had such odd names here. Some of them almost sounded as if you were singing them, “I am Wulfric.” He replied, thinking it was only proper that he shared his name, now that she shared hers. Then she’d also mentioned that he could be related to her master, and honestly he didn’t know, but he knew a bit about his father and asked if her master had been in the military and near Germania.

She seemed amused by his question, but only to tell him that her master had indeed been in the military and in Germania. And he had even been captured there and didn’t return until years later. Wulfric arched a brow, as far as he knew, the Chatti had been peaceful with the Romans as long as he had lived. After all, his mother had gone with a party of his people to visit the Romans across the Rhine and that’s how she met his father. He doubted that it was the Chatti who captured Aglaea’s master. While he was thinking, she suddenly suggested she should go.

Wulfric stepped forwards, put a hand on her arm, not in a demanding or threatening way, just in a way to let her know she should not move, “You are not, Ag-laea.” Wulfric said with a smile, pronouncing her name the way he thought it easiest, and then he let go of her arm, “I am interesting in learning about your master. You tell me more?” He said, “I have coin. I can pay for information… if you prefer.”

@Echo

• Like 1

Wulfric was his name. It sounded vaguely Germanic, from what little Aglaea knew about that region. She had been one of a lucky few slaves to have received an excellent education, but she had only been educated in Latin and Greek, adding to her list of languages that she already spoke. She wondered briefly if Secundus might have had a similar plot in Germania like the one he was conducting now - perhaps Wulfric was the result of that. The slave felt a sudden pang of pity if that was the case. "It is nice to meet you, Wulfric."

She had suggested that she might be keeping him from his business with her sudden interruption, and suggested she should go. But he stepped forward and placed a hand on her arm, and though she wasn't one to trust potential members of the Varus family, she didn't feel threatened by the gesture. She gave a hesitant smile and stopped, smoothing her skirts. "Oh, yes, I can tell you about Secundus," she said with a little laugh, which was tinged with bitterness. "You don't have to pay, I wouldn't want you to spend your coin on me." She looked around again in the shady area, and gestured to a ledge she hadn't noticed that they could sit on. "Here, why don't we sit? What do you want to know?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Aglaea said it was nice to meet him and he supposed it was nice to meet her too. She seemed very friendly. Not all Romans were friendly, especially when he shared he was from Germania - a part of the world not yet conquered by Rome and if the gods were on his side, they never would conquer the large part of the continent that the Romans named Germania. They had tried before and they had failed. Now minor settlements were shooting up across the Rhine and they were being watched closely, but so far they did not appear threatening. He hoped they'd not suddenly turn their coats and their weapons on his people. Well this lady here certainly would not and she knew of his family... or maybe she did. He bet many Romans had been up there over twenty years ago and others may have fathered children too, but still. Even if her master was not his father's brother, and he hadn't even said the last name yet, he might know Tertius. It was all useful, no matter what.

She seemed a bit surprised when he stopped her from leaving, but then she smiled and stopped and said she'd tell him about Secundus, her master. She didn't seem happy though, even though she laughed. But he wouldn't have to pay her, she said. He might just anyway, but decided to let it go for now. She looked around and found a seat for them. Wulfric followed her there but didn't sit until she did.

"I want to know many thing." Wulfric first began with a little smile, "Where to begin..." He then mused, he had so many questions and he didn't want to say too much, in case this wasn't the right man and family or in case she wasn't as friendly as she led him to believe so far... but she might just be. Romans were difficult to figure out.

"Oh... before I ask about your master." Wulfric said, as he recalled something and it might tell more about her character and how much he could trust her, "I ask you question, before I know your name." What he referred to was of course the first question he asked her, before they were introduced, but he didn't know if she would catch the meaning... the language was hard too, so he quickly added; "I ask if are you alright? You seem... nervous? I will not harm you." 

@Echo

• Like 1

Aglaea watched the slightly younger man as he cast around for how to begin, and while he considered how to start, she wondered about him. He clearly resembled Tertius, in ways that she couldn't quite explain, and yet she was still convinced she was right. But he was nothing like the Varus men she knew - Tertius was duplicitous, and, while a certainly better man than Secundus, she hardly trusted him more than his brother. And she didn't even want to think about Secundus much, after the events of a few days prior. She had a little bit of time before she started showing, but it seemed he was going ahead with his plan to sequester Livia and Aglaea in the villa until the baby was born. She was taking advantage of any chance to get out of the house and breathe before she wouldn't even be allowed that kindness. 

Wulfric seemed to begin, but instead returned to his earlier question, about whether she was alright. She blushed a little, both in the realization she'd forgotten to answer his question and in embarrassment at being caught displaying her emotions. "Oh, well, it's kind of you to ask," she said with a little smile. "Yes, I'm alright. I know you aren't going to hurt me. Perhaps I am just a little out of sorts today."

@Atrice

• Like 1

He did want to ask her questions about her master, but he didn’t know her so well yet or how much she would tell him. The Romans were hard to figure out, so he decided to not ask about her master first, but instead return to his first question about her. Because there was something about her, something he sensed was not right so he’d ask how she was doing. And now he asked again – if she was alright. Meanwhile Aglaea had seemed to look him over strangely, and he wondered if he really did seem that familiar to her. So familiar she thought to begin with, that he was someone else. Aglaea thought his question over and blushed at it.

Blushed? Why would anyone blush at such a question? Nobody asked her before? That was kind of sad, if that was the case. Then she said he was kind to ask, smiling, and said she was alright and knew he’d not hurt her. And that she was a little out of sorts?

“A little… out of… sorts?” He tried to repeat her question, tilting his head while watching her, because he honestly was not sure what she meant by that, “What does it mean?”

@Echo

• Like 1

Aglaea realized she had used a colloquialism that he might not have been familiar with and felt bad. She should remember what it was like, trying to learn a new language and how frustrating it was to not understand everything. But for her, it was so long ago, and languages came so naturally to her that she could speak and write in three or four. "Sorry, that is just an expression," she explained gently. "It means that I am not feeling like myself." She gazed down at her hands, and, furtively, at her belly. She wasn't sure if she would ever feel like herself again. Certainly not until her nine months were up. 

She decided to reveal a little more, perhaps because she doubted she would ever see this man again, or he would even remember her or her problems. "I've just been going through a hard time. It happens sometimes." But, of course, her problems were not the kind that happened every day. Realizing this, and that he probably didn't want to hear about her life (even though he seemed like a very kind young man), she deflected again. "So, my master. Secundus Quinctilius Varus. What is it that you want to know? I don't know everything, mind, but I have lived in his household for two years now."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Wulfric thought he was fairly good at Latin, since he already knew some when he left Germania. But he did not yet speak it fluently and certain phrases were still entirely new to him. He could kind of guess that being 'out of sorts' was not something good or nice, but what exactly it meant, he wasn't sure. So he asked, because honestly, that was the best way to gain information and answers. Aglaea said it was an expression and it meant she did not feel like herself. He watched how she looked at her hands and down herself. Was she sick? Something was definitely not right with her, but he was not yet sure what. She then explained she'd gone through a hard time and that it just happened sometimes.

Wulfric nodded, "Alright... I am sorry you feel like that. Better you will feel soon, I hope." Wulfric said to her, wondering if he could help her in any way, but she did not seem to want to talk about it and moved on, wondering what he would know of her master. She said his name and Wulfric lit up upon hearing it.

"His name is Varus?" Wulfric asked, surprised and curious and feeling a bit odd too, hearing that name said out loud by someone else here. That was the name he was looking for! Not Secundus though, but his father had a brother. So if Secundus had a brother, maybe... it was his father. He knew nothing about the family though and here, Aglaea could help him. He needed to know as much as possible before meeting his Roman family, so he would not make any mistakes. His mother hoped he'd return to Germania with wisdom and glory gained in Rome and he did not like the idea of failing his mother. So he would know anything Aglaea would tell him, "Tell me what is he like? Is he kind master?" 

@Echo

• Like 1

Aglaea realized that she might have been a bit obvious, looking down at herself like that, and she quickly looked up, laughing a little. What a kind man - surely, he couldn't be related to her master, since he was so pleasant and... well, normal. "Thank you, Wulfric. I am sure that I will."  She was glad when the subject changed, even if the new topic was the man who had gotten her into such an unpleasant predicament in the first place. Wulfric seemed to light up considerably as she said her master's name, and she smiled in surprise. 

"Yes, his name is Varus. To tell the truth, I saw you here in the shadows and thought you were my master's brother. That was why I came over," she explained, becoming more comfortable with talking to him. If anything else, he needed information about her master's family, and she needed a moment to rest her feet and perhaps make a friend. She almost laughed again when he asked if Secundus was a kind master, but she held it back. "Well, he isn't, perhaps, the worst of Rome," she said, being rather generous in her assessment. "He is a little odd, though. He was captured in Germania and when he came back... well, his moods change suddenly and he mutters to himself a lot." She didn't mind airing these secrets to Wulfric - no longer would she have many scruples about telling people about what the man was really like, even if she would stop at telling the whole truth. 

@Atrice

• Like 1

Wulfric had not yet guessed that Aglaea was pregnant, but he thought she was not well and hoped she would be better soon. Why should he not hope for that? Why should he hope for anyone who weren’t feeling good, that it should stay that way? She let out a little laugh at his words and thanked him, said she was sure she would. And then they went on to talk about her master.

She confirmed the name Varus and said Wulfric had looked like her master’s brother. Well Secundus was not the name he was looking for… but maybe the brother he looked like, was his father? Had he suddenly come so close to his real father just by being in the right spot at the right time? It felt almost like a dream. But he waited with asking more, because he’d already wondered if this Secundus was a kind master and to his surprise, Aglaea said he wasn’t. That he might be the worst in Rome. His eyes widened at this bold statement, but she went on, saying he was odd and mentioned again he’d been captured in Germania and said that might be the reason.

Wulfric nodded thoughtfully, “Sorry to hear for him he was captured.” Wulfric replied, “Why you think he is the worst master in Rome?” He asked then, “Please… tell me.” If this Secundus was his father’s brother, that meant it was his uncle and he thought he had the right to know what his family members were like. Then he’d also be better prepared when he met them. He already felt sorry for her though, if her master was odd and one of the worst in Rome. It seemed unfair to him. Maybe he could help her somehow?

@Echo

• Like 1

Aglaea blushed again, realizing that he had once more misunderstood her. She really needed to be more precise and patient with this young man! He thought that she had meant that Secundus was the worst in Rome, when she had really meant to downplay his antics, though she supposed his misunderstanding wasn't entirely inaccurate. Secundus certainly was not the best in Rome, even just judging him on how he treated the slaves within his household. His constant insane muttering and seeing shadows that wanted to hurt him... the household had a shadow upon it. And that wasn't even mentioning his plot to impregnate Aglaea - which, recently, had succeeded, much to the chagrin of everyone in the house. 

"You misunderstand me, Wulfric," she said gently, shaking her head. "I meant that he is not the best in Rome, but he is also not the worst." She gazed out at the crowd, as though seeing through them. "His household is... dark, though. He is not kind to his servants, and though I do not serve him directly-" she almost winced at the way she'd phrased it- "he is unkind to me as well, and my mistress. He casts a wide shadow." She recognized the metaphor she'd used but chose not to explain it. "But, perhaps you are not looking for my master. Who are you looking for?"

@Atrice

• Sad 1

It worried him a bit, that he might be related to someone who was the worst master to a slave in Rome. Aglaea seemed genuinely nice and friendly and then to have such a terrible master. Maybe it had to do with her master being captured? But surely that could not be all of it. He noticed she blushed at his question and he wanted to assure her that she was safe with him, but then she said he had misunderstood her. Secundus was not the best and also not the worst. Oh… but what did that mean? And not the best didn’t sound good either, anyway.

She told him more about the household, how Secundus was not kind to his servants and she seemed uncomfortable, before she said he was unkind to both her and her mistress. So Secundus had a wife. Good to know. His family here in Rome was suddenly growing. He wondered if he had siblings and nieces and nephews and cousins. Aglaea said Secundus cast a wide shadow. Something dark. A dark master, with a dark mind.

“Sorry to hear he is unkind to you, Aglaea. I sure you do not deserve unkind master.” He wondered what kind of unkind, but she seemed so uncomfortable, so it had to be bad… maybe he should leave further questioning of that for later or another time, “I am looking for man named Varus. You said I look like master’s brother. What his name is?”

@Echo

• Like 1

Aglaea smiled, a small gesture, but it was to assure him more than anything that she was alright. And, really, she was. The situation she was in was difficult, but Aglaea was strong by herself, and stronger with her faith. She would find a way through her difficulties and find a way to get her baby to a better place. She wondered if she would be able to run away from the villa somehow while she was locked up - but she would have to do it early in her pregnancy, before it became harder to move. 

She realized she'd drifted into thought and shook her head. "No one deserves an unkind master, but I am thankful that it is not worse. There are far worse things than an unkind master." She looked back at him as he asked what her master's brother's name was. "The man I thought you looked like is named Tertius Quinctilius Varus. He is a better man, I think."

@Atrice

• Like 1

She smiled at him when he said he was sorry about her unkind master and she didn't deserve it. No one did, she was right. And apparently she was just thankful it was not worse? Still, an unkind master was a bad thing! In Germania they had slaves too, but they were not treated quite the same way as here. He knew though that some of his people sometimes sold slaves to the Romans and he felt bad about. No one deserved to be treated like dirt, which was how he understood so far that Romans treated their slaves. Especially those from unconquered parts of the world. As if the slaves had anything to do with that. But he kept listening to her and she explained she thought he looked like a Tertius Varus. And something in the middle of the name too, but it was a long name and sounded weird. If that was part of his father's name, his mother had missed it too. The Varus name was well-known in Germania though. So it was interesting that he had relations with the same name.

He nodded at her words, "Tertius Varus... that is name I was told to look for, Ag-laea. I... yes... may be related. Very much." He added with a small smile, "You think he is good man? I am very curious... I hope you no mind." 

@Echo

• Like 1

If she were another person observing the conversation, she might have had more pity for herself. An unkind master was not deserved by anyone, and what Aglaea was going through was not deserved by anyone either. But of course, Wulfric didn't know what she was going through, and Aglaea had been through two years with Secundus, and had become accustomed to the treatment. Even her odd arrangement with the man was old news to her - it'd been going on nearly the whole marriage. 

But that was not the main concern at the moment. Wulfric confirmed that Tertius Varus was who he was told to look for and she smiled slowly. "I'm glad I could be of some help," she said, genuinely. But she hesitated in answering his second question. She did think he was better, but of course, she didn't live in his household. He could be as bad as, or worse than Secundus for all she knew, though she knew that the darkness that fell in Secundus's household was not present when they visited Tertius's. "I do not know him as well, but I believe he is better. But, I do want to warn you..." She sighed. "The Varus men are not to be trusted easily. They are duplicitous, both of them, and have lofty goals. I would be on guard if you are going to visit him."

@Atrice

• Like 1

He hoped he wasn’t irritating her with his many questions, but she did offer to answer them and she seemed so sweet and kind. He felt bad for her, that she didn’t have a nice master, but maybe he could try and help her while he was here. She didn’t seem to be Roman anyway, but of course, everyone down here looked exotic compared to the lighter skin and light brown and blonde hair in Germania. He had seen blondes here, but he suspected their ancestry might be from the North.

It was interesting though to finally hear the name of his real father spoken out loud like that. Not that he would dare try to pronounce it all, but Tertius Varus was exactly who he was looking for. Aglaea said she was glad to help, but then took her time before she answered the question about his father… if he was a kind man. That worried him a bit, because if he was a kind and good man, it should be easy enough to answer.

Aglaea finally said she didn’t know him that well, but thought him better than her own master. Then she spoke of a warning… that the Varus men could not be trusted and they were two-faced and she said he should be on guard.

“I will visit. They are family.” Wulfric said and his forehead wrinkled, he obviously worried about over these news. If his father was not to be trusted, that was not a good sign at all. Wulfric believed himself to be a good man, trustworthy if you earned his confidence… loyal if you deserved it. Was his father not the same? “How you know they not to be trusted? What they do… to make you think it?”

@Echo

• Like 1

Aglaea gave him a miserable glance as he said that he would visit since they were family. If only she could make him leave Rome, go home to Germania, never look back. If he was determined to stay on this path, Aglaea was terrified that the Varus family would chew him up and spit him back out. He was so innocent and kind and unmarred by the world those men lived in. If only she could stop him from taking another step down this path. 

But he seemed to give her an opportunity to do just that, asking what made her think that they were not to be trusted. But what an intimate secret to let out - one she had only let out to her mistress a short time ago, and one she would be mortified to let Wulfric know. Was it the right thing to do, though? Let him know how Secundus had torn hers and Livia's lives apart with his actions? She sighed, frustrated and still miserable as the conversation went on. Why did he want her to tell him things that would only hurt both of them? 

"I- I'm not sure that I can tell you, Wulfric. My master..." She felt a jolt of fear surge through her stomach. If Secundus were to find out... But then, perhaps Wulfric could be the one to help her if she went through with her plan... "Wulfric, you seem like a kind and good man. I want to tell you everything, but I could get into trouble. Bad trouble."

@Atrice

• Sad 1

Of course he would visit his family – he had not come all the way from Germania to Rome to not find and meet his family and his father here. In fact, that was the only reason why he had taken this long voyage into the world and this great city. That’s why he was here. No matter how they were like, he would meet them. Aglaea didn’t seem to think it was a good idea though and that worried him deeply. She said he should be on guard if he was to see them. That wasn’t a good thing to say about someone’s family. What had they done? Secundus and his father?

She sighed deeply by his side while considering her answer. It must be bad, if she wasn’t sure how to tell him or maybe didn’t even want to. Were they murderers or did they treat their slaves so poorly? Aglaea seemed very friendly and kind, but also nervous and afraid and he thought that had something to do with it all. They must have done something to her. At last she spoke, said she wasn’t sure she could say it and then she trailed off, as if something stopped her from talking. Then she went on, calling him good and kind and then she feared trouble. Oh he didn't want her to get in trouble! But he did want the truth and the knowledge. He would just have to find out what they'd done to her and then he could attempt to do all that was in his power to prevent more trouble for her.

“I… do not want trouble for you, Ag-laea. But… it is my family.” Wulfric replied and put a gentle hand on her arm to comfort her and try and calm her down, “I will not tell them you told me. I can pretend I know nothing, if they ask. If I can… I will make so you do not get trouble. I will help. You… seem like kind and good woman too.” He said with a small, but warm smile, “Please?”

@Echo

• Like 1

The poor boy, she thought. So sweet and kind, so hungry for knowledge of his family... how lucky he had thought it was that she had found him, but she knew how truly unlucky it was for both of them. She should have made sure it was Tertius before coming over to speak to him, but instead, she had barreled into the situation without thought of the consequences. And now she was in the awkward position of having to tell an almost perfect stranger what his uncle had done to her, to somehow convince him to stay away from them. She couldn't bear to see another person corrupted by the Varus family. 

She was silent for some time, staring at the cobbles before her, mulling the situation in her mind. If her situation could convince him to stay away, she felt that she had a moral obligation to tell him what had happened. At length, she decided to do it, the hand he placed on her arm giving her a modicum of strength to press forward. "Alright. I will tell you... but please, if you meet my master, you must not let on that you know." She paused once more, deciding where to start. 

"Before I tell you what happened, you must know some things about my mistress. I have been by her side for fourteen years - she is like my sister. She was married before, to a man she loved dearly. And she became pregnant. But her husband died at war and she miscarried the child." Aglaea's eyes watered slightly, remembering those terrible days. Things had just gotten worse since, hadn't they? 

"Her father wanted her to marry again, so he arranged her marriage with Secundus not long after Gnaeus, her first husband, died. While my mistress was still heartbroken." She paused here to see if he had any questions or thoughts. 

@Atrice

• Like 1

She seemed comforted by his hand on her arm and he was glad she did feel like that in his presence. If his family was so bad, he was glad that at least he was not the same. He could offer a bit of calm for poor Aglaea. She agreed to tell him then, but wanted Wulfric to not tell anything. He nodded, “I will not tell. Your stories, secrets… are safe. I promise.” Wulfric replied kindly to her and then she began talking about her mistress. How they’d been together for fourteen years and were almost like sisters.

Apparently her mistress had had some bad things happening to her and he felt sad, seeing Aglaea so sad when she remembered. He saw how her eyes watered and wished he had something she could dry them with – but he didn’t. Then her mistress had married after her first husband died and her new husband was of course Secundus. Yet her mistress seemed to still be heartbroken over the loss of her first husband and the child.

Wulfric nodded at her story, “I feel sorry for mistress… life not so good.” He said, “And you… must love her, you feel what she feel. I imagine Secundus not… so kind to her?” That had to be one reason why she thought Secundus was not a good master and could not be trusted. If only he could help her somehow. Them. Aglaea’s mistress’ life sounded sad.

@Echo

• Sad 1