Didia chuckled, "If we go back to the insula, my mother will recognise our footsteps and wonder why on earth we're back from the library so soon." She smirked, "And I'd rather not face an inquisition of that's alright with you?" She smiled as they began to drift slowly towards an exit. The gardens were pretty much deserted now the sun was setting, just a few stragglers and drinkers left soaking up the last rays of the cold winter sun. 

"I'm sure you know a place or two," She confirmed, "Although preferably not somewhere I'm going to get mugged. My brother took me to a bar once and he left with no belt - the bastards had taken it off of him whilst he was sat down all evening!" she managed a hoarse laugh, "One of the perks of living here I suppose. Greatest city on earth it is indeed, but also filled with the poor, thieves and miscreants." She shook her head. Sometimes, very, very rarely, she dreamt of the wide open expanse of Hispania but that was in the past. She was a city girl, and knew she'd be bored senseless if she ever went to the countryside for any prolonged period of time. 

"How's the job hunt going by the way?" She queried and looked up at him - trying to distract herself and him as her anxiety started to settle, "Besides being my saviour, of course." 

TAG: @Atrice

• Like 1

Didia chuckled at his idea about going back to the insula, although he only considered it to make her feel safer. But she didn’t wish to, because she had not told her mother what they were doing and they’d be questioned. Alexius nodded, “Fair enough, it’s perfectly alright. As I said… you’re this boss. I’m doing this for you.” He added, because that was the truth. He was trying to teach her how to defend herself, for her sake, without any hidden agendas. And the drink was also to attempt to calm her down. Again, it was for her.  

The sun was setting and she wanted to go to a place that was laid back. Alexius chuckled at the story about her brother and he nodded at her next comment, “You’re right about all of that. I’m pretty sure we can find a nice place.” Alexius said, considering if Bellona’s place was too far away, but decided it was not. They’d definitely be safe there, since he was so well-known and the owner was a freed gladiatrix too. They’d not fear a thing there.

“I know a place, come. It’s not too far.” He said and motioned to follow him. Didia asked about his job hunt and he grinned again, “You mean being your savior shouldn’t be enough?” He said with a laugh, but turned more serious again, “I still just… take the jobs that are there to take. If you hear about some fancy Senator or his wife in need of a bodyguard, let me know. Else I’m sure something steady will turn up soon. I’m not so worried. As long as Lexus and I can live where we do and not starve, we’re good.” Because really, it was like that. If you could afford a roof over your head and food every day, you’d be okay. Alexius didn’t strive for luxury. He just wanted to live a good life and he thought he did.

@Sara

• Like 1

Didia dutifully followed Alexius as they moved through the gardens, passing the odd person here and there but for the most part the place was deserted. It was almost creepy. "You being my saviour is more than enough, and you know if I had any bloody money I'd pay you properly for the service." She swallowed the thought that she knew where a lot of money was - in the abandoned domus, the stash under the floor that she and Rufus had found. She had to forget about it. 

"I can ask," She offered, "I go into all the Senatorial houses you know - to do my deliveries. Some are friendlier than others mind, some of the rich are..." She wrinkled her nose, trying to find a polite phrasing of 'entitled dickheads' and settled on, "Unpleasant." She continued to walk, the dew of the grass soaking into the hem of her tunica like a spiders web, "But some of them are nice enough. I've even met a few, the wives sometimes run all the households and like to know who their supplier is. I can keep my ear to the ground, and ask some of the slaves in the domi that I go to." Favours were well kept by Didia, and she definitely owed Alexius. "The rich always seem to have dramas, constantly, I'm sure at least one of them will need their own personal saviour some time soon." She chuckled and breathed a sigh of relief as they drew back to the main street. 

• Like 1

Didia said she’d pay Alexius for what he did for her, if she could, but he waved his hand, “Don’t think about it. It’s a favor between friends.” Alexius replied. That’s what friends did, they looked out for each other, helped each other. And he did consider Didia his friend, didn’t he? They must be friends, with how she came to his place after she’d been stitched up by Theo and with how she now allowed Alexius to try and help her with her self-defense skills.

He said though that if she knew anyone in need of a bodyguard or something like it, she should let him know… although he wasn’t too worried. You didn’t get anywhere with worrying. Didia continued talking about how she could ask around, although she didn’t seem to like all the Senators she met. She talked an awful lot Alexius thought, and he wondered if she was still nervous. Poor her. Well he wouldn’t let anyone touch her.

When she was done talking, he nodded with a smile, “There’s drama all over and unpleasant and nice people in all places. Unpleasant people are found among slaves too, trust me, I know this. You just have to deal with it.” He said, “It’s a pity I can’t make a proper living out of just saving people.” Alexius said with a grin and looked at her, “All I want is a good enough life, I guess. But that’s what we all want, isn’t it?”

@Sara

• Like 1

Didia nodded, "I imagine there are rotten eggs in the slaves but...I kind of understand?" She shrugged, "I mean, if I was enslaved I'd be pretty pissed off and mad at the world. At least I think I would. Then again, some of the slaves in the fancy houses might have better houses than either of us." She chuckled, "Good food, guaranteed work, no need to worry about wages..." She smiled wistfully with a little shrug. Maybe that stability was a price worth paying for a lack of freedom? It was an unanswerable question. 

"It is. I just want a happy life, not fussed about money or fame or any of that." She wrinkled her nose. The raw ambition in some people wasn't something she could relate to at all. "And I have it, I think, for the most part." She smiled up at him as they drew to the streets around the gardens. She glanced up at her company as they neared an establishment - swelling with the sounds of revellers already deep in their cups and the sweet smell of watered, weak wine. Perfect. 

"Here?" She smiled up.

• Like 1