Aeterna Roma RPG

October 75 CE

After a successful praying session to the ancient gods of his homeland, Artemon was feeling quite ready to honour another Egyptian custom of old - a nice mug of beer. Even though his deity of choice was Sobek, the crocodile god to whom he had not found a temple yet, he had faith that neither Isis nor Serapis would object too much to being second best.

The small tavern a couple of streets away was mostly frequented by countrymen of his and, as far as Artemon was concerned, had pretty decent beer for its price. He hummed an old tune all the way there and headed straight for the counter upon entering, where he parted with a bit of coin and was given a big cup with a generous amount of beer inside. He took a sip, sighed in delight and made his way outside again, intent on enjoying his drink under the autumn sun...

That was, until he walked into something quite solid and proceeded to spill half his beer over it. As he processed the event he first mourned the loss of his drink, and only a moment later did he realise he had unwittingly given a young man a beer bath. With a sheepish smile Artemon awkwardly and futilely tried to pat the man dry as he apologised in Egyptian. "I'm sorry brother, my mind was elsewhere."

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"Watch where you're going!" Davus instinctively replied in the same language he'd just been addressed in, before registering that the other bore no signs at all of slavery, and Egyptian was an unusual language to be addressed in. Though less unusual in this part of the city; he recognised the statues of Isis and Serapis (well, Serapis was easily recognisable, after all, with his distinctive headdress!). The temple of Isis and Serapis naturally drew worshippers from Egypt, and of course one of them was going to spill his beer down Davus after walking into him.

"I shouldn't have got in your way," he added, just in case this was a free man (there were plenty of those in Rome and several of Egyptian stock, even). Too bad he'd return home smelling of beer and have to get his tunic washed days before it was due for it.

@Liv

• Like 1

"No, no, it was my fault! I was focusing too hard on my drink and not enough on what was in front of it!" Artemon assured the other man, hoping the admission of guilt would save him from a black eye. "I will buy you a drink to apologise. And myself another one, too." That would leave him two steps closer to bankruptcy or begging on the streets, but if he got beaten up he wouldn't be able to work anyway.

He put a beer-sticky hand on the young man's shoulder and guided him inside the popina, where the owner was seemingly pleased to make another sale so soon. As they waited Artemon examined the damage to the other's tunic as sneakily as he could, keen on avoiding a fullonica bill that he couldn't possibly afford. "Don't worry, once the smell is gone your clothes will be fine. Happens to me all the time," he explained with a smile that was meant to be reassuring.

Two full cups were handed to them and he hurried to take a good swig so the contents wouldn't spill if a second collision were to happen. "So who do you pray to the most, Isis or Serapis? Or do you pray to the Roman gods?"

@Sharpie