Aeterna Roma RPG

Early October, 75 AD

Wulfric had agreed to meet again with the lovely Aglaea, who was slave to his uncle Secundus, whom he had not yet met. He hadn’t even met his father yet, but Aglaea knew him too and he found it very useful to have found someone, whom he was not related to, but who could provide him with useful information. On top of that, Aglaea was very sweet and friendly and he had enjoyed talking to her. Plus she seemed to need someone to talk to and she needed help with her situation. Wulfric had felt sympathy with her and he was more than ready to help her, whether she said she wanted his help or not. He would be the friend she needed. Really this was a win for both of them.

So a week later, he found himself entering a place called the Gardens of Sullust for the first time. Aglaea had sent word to him via a messenger, where they were supposed to meet and he walked around, trying to find the right place. It was still somewhat warm, but some leaves had begun to change color and he found that he liked the gardens because of the amount of greenery here. Rome, to him, mostly consisted of stone, marble and people. There was not a lot of green and it was nothing like Germania in that sense, where the majority of the land was forests, fields and meadows. Rome had its own charm of course, if you looked at things individually.

He tried that too, while searching for the right fountain Aglaea had said they’d meet by. He found a very pretty one, there were no other people near and he thought it was the right one. Then he leaned against the edge of the basin, enjoying the warmth of the sun and waited for Aglaea to show up as planned.

@Echo

• Like 1

Leaving the home of Secundus Quinctilius Varus was like breathing for the first time. Each time she left the domus, Aglaea felt a weight lift from her chest, ever so slightly, so that she could breathe freely again. But of course, the weight threatened constantly to return whenever she thought of the months she would be spending in the villa, sequestered, only for it to end in her acting as though her child had come and passed away, and the child that had suddenly appeared in the house was Livia's. Since she had met Wulfric, that kind and handsome stranger who was somehow connected to her master's family, a small light had appeared in Aglaea's heart, like a weak ember struggling to survive. The hope that he could help alleviate some of her suffering by visiting her master, and, by extension, her, was one of a precious few things keeping her going. And while she didn't fan the small ember of hope into a flame, it helped her through the particularly dark moments. 

Today, her heart was light as she exited the house under the pretense of running errands for her mistress. Livia, to her credit, had given her some much-needed space in the hours and days after the day Aglaea had spilled her secrets, and Aglaea was thankful for her. Aglaea did not appear pregnant yet, but the other symptoms of an early pregnancy were there - she had been sick every morning since the morning she'd found out, particularly, and she felt that she grew tired more easily. She smiled softly to herself as she made her way into the garden for that reason, ready to sit and talk with her new friend for a while. Soon enough, she came to the fountain she had instructed him to meet her at and saw that he had beaten her there. "Wulfric," she said warmly, approaching him with a soft smile. "Thank you for coming. It is wonderful to see you again."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Wulfric could only hope that he had found the right fountain – and that Aglaea would show up. He hoped that her unkind master, his own uncle, wouldn’t keep her locked up, although with what she told so far about him, Wulfric kind of feared what the man would do. But hopefully she would show up. He wanted to befriend her, she was sweet and kind and pretty and she clearly needed someone like Wulfric in her life. He was far too compassionate to just forget about her and her story.

Maybe it was the wrong fountain? The sun had moved a bit while he sat here and he felt he ought to find shade, or his skin might burn. It had happened a few times before, he wasn’t so used to the constant warmth and sunshine here in Rome. Or, his body wasn’t. He had been here a few months now and he was slowly getting used to the place and its people. And there was one of them! He smiled when she suddenly appeared and approached him. She was smiling softly too and he stood from where he’d leaned to the fountain and greeted her with a nod of his head.

“Of course I come, Ag-laea. I am glad seeing you too.” He said, “How are you? Well, I hope.”

@Echo

• Like 1

It was hard to make out his face at first, but, shading her eyes, she saw that this was the man she had come to see and was relieved. She had half-feared that he would run as far away from her and his crazy family as he could get, all the way back to Germania, perhaps. But it seemed that, as much as he was Secundus's relative, he had some other blood running through him. He was brave enough to stick around, for whatever reason. But she decided she didn't care what the reason was - she was just happy to have someone to speak to and get her mind off of her life for a while. 

He stood as she approached and said he was glad to see her. Then he asked how she was. "I am well," she said simply, signifying that nothing much had changed in her position since they had last seen one another. "But hot," she amended with an amused chuckle. "Perhaps we should move into the shade?" Around the perimeter of the fountain were a few benches sitting in the shade of tall trees. Aglaea led the way to one of these and sat down. "Thank you for coming, Wulfric. I hope you are well?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Wulfric definitely had other blood running through him than just Roman blood – he had proud blood from the North and he wasn’t some nobody either. On the other hand, he did enjoy trying to solve problems with words rather than swords, although he would if he had to, of course. Sometimes some people just could not be talked to. That was not the case with sweet Aglaea though, who seemed happy to see him and told him that she was well. Wulfric nodded and then she stated that she was hot, chuckling and wanting to go into the shade.

“Of course, if you want. I need shade also, I think. Or else sun will burn me.” Wulfric said to her and followed her to the benches nearby. He waited for her to take a seat and then sat next to her, glad to get out of the sun and with someone likable too. He paid her attention when she spoke again, she thanked him for coming once more and hoped he was well too.

“I am well, thank you…” Wulfric said, “You should teach me to say your name right. I feel I say wrong. I need learn how to say words right. I do not wish to… offend?” He wanted to be her friend and he felt she deserved that he spoke her name right. And that he treated her right. And you didn’t treat someone right by not saying their name right, when you had the opportunity to do so. If you could be more hospitable towards someone kind, you should be. That's how he was raised.

@Echo

• Like 1