If I had a little money

Sharpie

It wasn't that long after Rufus had been accosted by Aglaea's master that he saw her again. He was waiting in line at a hot food stall while waiting for his master - the Senate was debating something dreadfully dull and boring that required the presence of the Emperor's brother but not of the Emperor's brother's redheaded body slave.

He stepped out of the queue - really, he'd do better saving his money than spending it on whatever the food stall sold, that they claimed was actual food but was probably dead rat.

"Aglaea!"

@Echo

• Like 1

Aglaea had managed to slip away from the domus again today, this time for a fair few chores and errands. After preparing her mistress for the day, she had been sent to gather a few necessary products, including cosmetics and a jar of silphium for Livia. If she had enough money, she would be buying herself some. But she just had enough for some thread and a new comb today -- she would just have to skim off the top of Livia's silphium 

Lost in her thoughts as she walked around, she was suddenly pulled out of them at the sound of her name. Turning about, she saw a familiar red head coming through the crowd toward her and her eyes crinkled in a grin. "Rufus!" As he came up to her, she smiled brightly at him. "Rufus, how good to see you. How have you been keeping?"

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"I've been well, thank you. My master keeps me busy but I can't complain. But what about you?"

The last time he'd seen her - the first time they'd met, in fact - she had just been pickpocketed, and then he'd been accosted later by her master over it. The memory of that made him look her over more carefully, searching for any sign she might have been physically punished for the loss.

Though gods know why a Senator was so concerned over losing a few small coins, and he would be well within his rights to have punished the girl for the loss.

@Echo

• Like 1

Aglaea nodded at his answer and smiled slightly. "I am as well as can be expected, I suppose." It was kind of Rufus to ask. 

It was lucky that she had come across him, actually, because she wanted to ask him about her master and what he had done to him. Secundus had been incensed about a pickpocket daring to take from someone in his household, though it was a fairly common occurrence. She hoped Rufus hadn't been hurt. 

"I heard that my master had found you after I was pickpocketed that day. I wanted to apologize - he forced me to tell him every detail about that day. He didn't hurt you, did he?"

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"No, he didn't, although I honestly thought he was going to at one point," Rufus replied. "And well. If sarcasm killed, I wouldn't be standing here now, and my master would have sued him for the loss of a body slave. Probably."

He looked her up and down in concern. She didn't look as if she'd been whipped, though someone like the Senator her master probably had a store of punishments that wouldn't leave a visible sign. "I hope - I hope you weren't punished for it? He didn't seem at all happy, though what he expected me to be able to tell him is something only the gods know!"

@Echo

• Haha 1