Who goes there?!

Liv

Gallus gave Zia a look of 'oh please don't' which Zia then turned on Artemon. "Make sure that you don't, little Artemon because I know where you live - as does Gallus and we'll be watching." She held up her pink finger and wiggled it, "Remember what I told you, yes?" The excellent thing about pretending to be a witch was that really any  threat worked if the person she was tormenting bought into it - which he quite clearly did. 

Gallus guffawed at the man's question and shot Zia another look. "You can." Zia said triumphantly with a little grin, "If you remembered to lock up the warehouse that is. Did you, Artemon? Remember?" Because she was more than ninety-nine percent positive that he didn't. It was a long schlep back to it to check, "But seeing as you're now being paid so much more and determined to impress us, you had better go and triple-check so no vandals or thieves break in. Yes?" Gallus was chuckling and trying to mask it under his hand. He moved a hand to touch her waist and smirked. "Care for a nightcap?" Gallus knew she had to be back at her domus just before sun-up, but that was still hours away. 

"Don't mind if I do," She grinned and then turned to Artemon, whipping him once more with her hair as she turned, "Good night Artemon, don't forget about me, will you?" And with that, Gallus pulled her into his rooms and the door swung shut on the poor mans face. 

TAG: @Liv

• Haha 1

Artemon wasted no time in nodding his confirmation that he did indeed remember perfectly well, thank you very much. A defiant little voice inside his chest argued that now he too knew where Gallus lived, and he too would be watching! Mostly to make sure Gallus didn't come up with excuses to underpay him again. He didn't know where the witch lived, obviously; she might not even live at her master's. Maybe he should try to follow her one day...

Snapping back to attention, he grew paler as he realised that he had not locked the warehouse, and spluttered sheepishly to avoid giving a definite answer. He was so tired, and so hungry, and Rome was so dangerous in the dark! "Um... well.." he dawdled, ignoring the attempt at seduction he was witness to as he shuffled his feet. Ugh.

Just as he was about to give in, the idea of his future earnings giving him strength to brave the unpredictable and perilous darkness once again, he felt the familiar sting of a hair slap as the woman bid him good night. "I won't, rest assured!" Artemon declared, the door slamming in his face seconds later.

If those two were going to be busy for the next hour or so, they wouldn't come out to check that Artemon had indeed gone back to lock up. He could always claim he had done as told but shift the blame to the day shift and their carelessness. Pleased with his plan, he trotted up the stairs to his tiny flat, tiptoed his way in so as not to wake Iophon (if he even was there - in the dark it was hard to tell) and tucked himself in on his straw mattress, falling asleep to thoughts of future riches.

@Sara Fin

• Haha 1