It's All Fun and Games

Atrice

As he called her name, she dutifully shifted in her seat to face him, although her eyes remained at his chest. How foolish it seemed, that at their first meeting she had been so impertinent and met his eyes. It was such a little loss, to have to look down. It also had the benefit of hiding her emotions, which were usually so plain to read on her young face. 

His words startled her, confused her, but she strove not to let it show. She couldn't help the light crease in her brow though. It means something? She nearly retorted; it means whatever you want, you're the boss but stopped herself. But he was trying, she could sense that as plain as day and as the mood and crowd swelled around them as something happened on the sands, she kept her gaze fixed to his chest. She wouldn't look up, she was afraid to see the expression on his face. The way he was speaking...it reminded her of a time, long since past, when he had taken her in the gardens of sallust. 

"We are, domine." She offered a gentle smile and nodded, "You are..." She was trying to be cautious with her words, frame them properly. She was his guest tonight, be she was still a slave - and one who thoroughly knew her place by now, "You are a such a good father it...warms my heart, domine." At least that was true. Her feelings for Tertius were so complex she didn't think she'd ever be able to articulate them, but she could clearly say he doted on her son. That, of course, made everything so much messier. 

Keeping her face tilted down, she moved to take another sip of her wine. 

TAG: @Atrice

• Like 1

"I am sure they are well-founded and much deserved," was Titus' cheeky response to the slap on his back. It was, however, nice of Longinus to spare him from having to introduce himself to the young man sitting nearby. "No, I don't think we have, although I've heard good things about you and your brother," he told Marcus before rolling his eyes at the mention of Britannia. It wouldn't be Longinus if the bloody island didn't come up at least once in conversation. 

The reassurance that he had missed nothing of importance had him settling comfortably in his seat, Publius' lively conversation with Titus Calpurnius Praetextatus a familiar murmur. "Lexus? I thought he had retired many years ago." Titus squinted at the man in the arena whose movements almost seemed like a dance, so effortless they were. It was Lexus all right, beloved by the lowborn and elites alike. The gladiatrix was less familiar, but equally skilled and a more than worthy foe; she wielded her swords better than many a fresh legionary his gladius. All in all, a most exciting match.

"So you've placed bets? Who does our consul favour?" he grinned at Aulus, not really expecting a direct answer. Picking the right horse to bet on, so to speak, was going to be no easy feat from what Titus could see. "Drinks on me if the Thessalian wins. Shame we can't have her train a few recruits." Cocking his head to get a better look at Marcus, he addressed the lad, hoping to put him a bit more at ease should he be feeling shy. "Had you seen Lexus fight before? He was really good back in the day!" Only drove home how old they were all getting, really, as if Longinus' short explanation from earlier hadn't been enough.

@Atrice @Chevi @Sara @Sharpie

• Like 2

Marcus was happy to meet Titus, although he felt quite a bit younger than all the grown-ups here. And the younger men, well they felt kind of too young for him to mingle with. Alright, maybe Titus wasn’t. And his father was a Consul of Rome! Better stay friends with him. But he listened quietly and nodded as Longinus introduced Marcus and his friend Titus Sulpicius Rufus, whom he wasn’t sure he heard about before. They joked about how they met. It sounded like fun. And titus said he’d heard good things about Marcus and his brother, which made him smile.

Then Aulus came with more clever words on placing bets on the two in the arena and Marcus nodded too, “It’ll be interesting to see if there is a winner. Or if they are too closely matched.” He commented. Longinus still seemed to prefer betting on Lexus and promised a drink to everyone if he won. Marcus arched a brow, he liked free drinks as much as anyone! He hoped Longinus was placing the right bet here.

Titus seemed surprised to hear about Lexus too. Everyone talked about him and Marcus just knew he’d been famous once. He’d never seen him fight. Now the witch, that was another story entirely! She was only a gladiatrix, but fiercer than most of the others! She knew how to put on a show. Now he’d see if she truly knew how to fight too. Titus decided to buy drinks if the witch won and then he addressed Marcus about Lexus.

“No, I haven’t. I don’t even think I was in Rome when he fought? Or what?” He looked at Longinus, expecting him to actually know, while at the same time trying to add the years and numbers in his head too, “I must have been a toddler.” He said and chuckled, “Which means Lexus really must be old.” He realized what he’d said and then his cheeks flushed a bit, as he realized he just called all the other men old too, “No offense to all of you… I hope.” He added with a shy smile, hoping he’d not screwed everything up.

@Sara@Liv@Sharpie

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"I daresay we must all seem ancient to you," Aulus said, good-naturedly. He was by no means 'old' but probably seemed at least as old as Rome herself to his son and to Marcus Junius Silanus. There were two, perhaps three, years between Junius Silanus and Titus - having a son on the very cusp of manhood was bound to make anyone feel old.

"He retired about sixteen years ago - was it really as long ago as that? -and while he is not still in training, he has not lost his skill. I believe he has been able to keep from getting too rusty because he helps with training some of today's fighters. And his age is balanced by her lack of strength and shortness of reach. She knows how to make it look good, though - she is quite talented at that." Showiness was not something that Aulus could abide in his soldiers, but in the arena it was all that mattered - make it look good and showy to the uneducated masses and they would go home happy even without seeing a death match.

@Sara @Atrice @Liv @Chevi

• Like 2

“I just came out of it for you, it seems.”

Thessala grinned. It was a compliment, even if he had not known who his opponent would be. She hadn't either. But this was promising to be way more fun than expected. They had sparred before, she knew some of his techniques, although she had never fought him in armor.

The fight began, amidst he cries of the spectators and the murmur of people still placing bets. She wondered which one of them they were betting on more. Maybe she'd find out after the fact.

Alexius brought up the shield to deflect her attack; Thessala bounced back, and he was already after her, ducking to avoid her swords and slashing at her arm from the side. Thessala danced back and ducked, bringing up her swords; the gladius hit them with a ringing sound that filled the arena with excited cries. Thessala hissed, sticking her tongue out at Alexius as if she was a gorgon, although it was hard to keep up the game face when she wanted to laugh at him at the same time. This was too much fun.  She lunged again, this time jumping up at the last moment to slash at him from above.

@Liv @Sharpie @Atrice @Sara

• Like 3

Tertius didn’t really feel old, although he was now 46 years old. He wasn’t exactly young anymore. And sometimes, when he was with Charis, he forgot about how far apart they were when it came to age. At other times, with her, he truly did feel like some old fool. Like right now, as he attempted to express his complicated feelings towards her. And it was, really, complicated! He was her master and she his slave. He owned her. And he could not let her forget that. On the other hand, she stirred emotions in him like no one else. There had been another slave, Anteros, years ago, who almost did the same. He’d sold Anteros, something he almost never did. But they had come too close to crossing the boundary between master and slave.

With Charis, it felt different. He wasn’t falling for her, was he? If that was the case, it happened a long time ago and maybe that’s why he got so upset every time she betrayed him? It didn’t matter though. What mattered most in his mind was that Charis felt something like he did too. Yet would he ever know her real feelings about anything? He’d broken her so well…

When she replied, she agreed that they were fine again and she said he was a good father and that it warmed her heart. Yet she’d paused. As if she had to find the right words. Tertius sipped his wine when she did, inwardly wishing he was younger and that things were easier in Rome. They just weren’t. He looked at the sands a bit. Lexus attacking. Thessala coming at him and their blades crossing, making a sound that everyone could hear. He smiled, enjoying the sound of the crowd and the fight in the arena.

“I’m glad to hear you think that.” He finally said, after that pause, “I think you’re a good mother too, Charis. Despite what happened. Our son seems happy.” Tertius said, keeping the subject centered on their son, which was something they could easily talk about at least.

@Sara

• Like 1

Longinus snorted; "Speak for yourself, Consul. I'm still in my thirties." For the next three years, which he intended to draw out; mentally being forty meant he had to actually start to get serious. He was content to let his twenties be a decade of career progress, his thirties for fun and his forties for...everything he should have done in his thirties. 

Arching a brow at Aulus as he said Thessala made it look good and considered the woman. "I'm sure you could have her if you wanted," Gladiators were generally able to be hired - as he understood, not through personal experience - for private...experiences after matches, "Must be some perks to your job." He chuckled, forgetting for a moment that Aulus was with his son. Though perhaps the lad was old enough to learn that just because one was married, didn't mean they needed to be monogamous...at least if you were a man. Or your name was Titus, given he often thought of his friend as a celibate priest in that regard.

He glanced back down to the sands as the woman jumped up with a hiss to slash down on Lexus; "Shit." He winced. The poor man would ache in the morning! "Maybe I need to hand back that Dacian you gave me Titus, and get one of them to keep me fit instead."

TAG: @Liv @Atrice @Sharpie

• Like 2

Despite what happened. She winced at that. That'd she'd try to get rid of her child pained her now, now she had him in her arms, but at the time she believed she was doing the right thing and upon reflection...she would have done it again, if she had to relieve the same scenario. Only that time, she'd ensure she got a real tisane that actually worked and hadn't almost killed her. 

"Thank you domine, and he is." She offered a small smile and sipped her wine. An awkward pall settled over them, and she was relieved that there was a distraction on offer as her eyes drifted back to the sands. Poor Alexius...and poor Thessala. She didn't know who she felt more sorry for as in her head, she couldn't understand why either of them would want to fight or risk serious injury just to entertain people like Tertius. She swallowed the feeling of sickness in her chest and winced as Thessala landed another blow on Alexius. 

"Who...who do you want to win, domine?" 

• Like 1

Ah, the insolence of youth. Luckily for Marcus Silanus, this was a 'been there, done that' sort of thing - something that all men went through (and some never grew out of). In a couple of years it would be Aulus' son with an insolent tongue, and a few years after that Publius. Possessed of unusual magnanimity, however, Titus chose not to voice the retort he would have liked to and remained on the topic of gladiators instead. "Feels like it was only a few years ago... But you're quite right, Consul. It was the year I got married." Time did pass by quicker the older one got, no matter how much Longinus wanted to pretend he was still a spring chicken. In Lexus' case, though, it did not seem to have dulled his movement or agility - he was doing a good job against the gladiatrix. She was also putting on quite the show, and giving the crowd a good run for their money as she taunted her adversary.

"Yes, and then you can tell our curious friend here what else she's talented at," Titus peeled his eyes away from the arena to shoot Longinus a sassy glance before defending his erstwhile slave's honour - whatever amount of it a barbarian possessed. "He wasn't complacent when he left my service, but if your your body slave's familiarity with his master is anything to go by, well..." he concluded with a shrug and returned his attention to the match, this time with an added focus. She was athletic all right - maybe a bit too much, even. Her muscles were probably as hard as a man's, Titus conjectured with a frown.

Come to think of it, the youths (and their elders) might enjoy seeing the fighters up close, regardless of who won. Leaning forward in his seat, Titus addressed his friend. "Say, Aulus, any chance of personally congratulating our entertainers once it's over? The boys might like it." And if their presence made Marcus Silanus feel young and puny, perhaps next time he would choose his words more carefully.

@Atrice @Sharpie @Chevi @Sara

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Oh, you're equally as ancient to these young men, Lucius Cassius," Aulus said with a grin. "Even if you refuse to admit it." He glanced down into the arena. She was good-looking enough, but not to his taste. "I leave screwing the gladiatrices to others - I'm sure she will be perfectly accommodating to the late Legate of Nona Hispana. Or the victor of the recent Dacian campaigns." Although he didn't think Titus had screwed anything, male or female, in a very long time. With the possible exception of his wife. He didn't strike Aulus as the type who'd even make use of his body slave in that respect, either, though the bearded Tranquillus was not the type who did anything at all for Aulus.

He glanced around at all those in the box with him. "I daresay it would be quite crowded if we all attempted to squeeze in to meet them, and I know you're all dying to accompany me."

He'd have them brought up here instead; it would be much simpler and easier.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

She grinned and he loved it. With her appearance, the crowd would see a mad grin, but all he saw was joy as the fight began. She bounced back after he pushed her away from him and then she brought up her swords to meet his. Steel collided with steel and the sound of it filled the arena. Alexius smirked as she hissed and stuck out her tongue at him. A moment later, she came at him again and while he jumped towards the side the moment he knew what she’d do, she managed to slash his arm.

Alexius growled, looking at her, “I’ll make you regret that.” He said, coming towards her now, hiding behind the shield until the last moment, where he lifted it up above him, pointing his gladius towards her with a forceful strike. He wasn’t sure how she was positioned, as he’d been hiding behind the shield, so he didn’t know where he was aiming. He just knew he had to get back at her and show the crowd that Lexus still had it in him. He didn’t care so much about their bets… this fight wasn’t about life or death, it was about entertainment. And he attempted to give it.

@Chevi@Sara @Liv @Sharpie

• Like 3

Oblivious to the conversation going on above them, Thessala let out a shriek of victory as she managed to slash Alexius' arm. There was not enough force between the attack to cause serious injury; the big swings were, after all, mostly for show tonight. Still she drew first blood, and she was not going to let Alexius live that down.

“I’ll make you regret that.”

"Come and get me old man" Thessala taunted him with a grin. She held her blade to her mouth, making a show of licking the blood. People liked the drama. Alxius hunkered down and lunged at her shield first; like a tortoise, he was safely covered until the last moment. Thessala backed away, trying to keep distance. The shield went up, not to the side; that was surprising enough to win a few split seconds. The strike hit, tearing into the wide leather belt at Thessala's waist. She raised her voice with a grin to make a public joke: "Trying to undress me, huh?"

@Atrice @Sharpie @Liv @Sara

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Marcus decided that he liked the Consul Aulus. He seemed really nice, and intelligent too. He knew just what to say and he saved Marcus after his stupid comment about Lexus being old, which kind of made all the men that sat around him old too. But Aulus commented that they must all seem ancient and then spoke more about Lexus, who had retired many years ago. Sixteen years? Well Marcus had been 2, back then. No wonder he’d not remember Lexus!

The banter continued between the men and Longinus suggested Aulus slept with the witch down on the sands. Marcus’ eyes widened, he wasn’t sure if he’d want to sleep with that kind of woman. He preferred them a bit more normal, to be honest! Moments later, something happened in the arena and the gladiatrix managed to draw blood. Marcus gasped and then cheered, despite not wanting to bed her, he was definitely rooting for her in this match!

Moments later, Rufus, the one who came in here last, suggested they should all congratulate the entertainers. Aulus would not sleep with the gladiatrix, but it would seem he thought it would be too much of a crowd. Marcus liked the idea though.

“Couldn’t you just invite them up here to congratulate them? If both are still standing!” He added, seeing Lexus come at the woman, showing off quite a lot of strength and Marcus chuckled when she joked out loud, they were close enough to the sands to hear it. Marcus cheered again. This was fun!

@Liv @Sharpie @Sara @Chevi

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It warmed her heart that he was a good father to his son with her, and in return, of course he was pleased to see her skills as a mother. She’d tried to kill herself and Peregrinus and he was glad it didn’t happen! Peregrinus brought some life into the household and some joy into his own heart, seeing his son grow and thrive like he did. It wasn’t like it had been with Teutus, not at all. When he was born, his father thought it better that Tertius didn’t know his son at all, and he was soon sent away to Germania. And he was too young to take interest in a toddler. Now everything was different. And Peregrinus was free from the start and able to be his legal son and heir, because he was never a slave first.

Yet his mother was a slave. But still lovely to look at and comforting to talk to. When he thought about it, who did he really have to confide in, besides her? It wasn’t the same with Hector anymore. Not since Peregrinus came. Meanwhile, Charis smiled and sipped her wine and silence fell, while they both watched the fighters on the sands. After some time, Charis wondered whom he wanted to win.

“It’s a good question. I remember seeing Alexius when he was still a slave and he was good then. Still is, it seems.” He said and chuckled, “The woman… I don’t know. But she saved you once and for free too. So I suppose that earns her some favor. He did too though. It’s hard to pick!” He added and looked at her, “What do you think? We could bet on who will win. And the winner between the two of us, would get some sort of prize.”

@Sara

• Like 1

Longinus shrugged, a dopey happy grin on his face at the suggestion he'd bed the Thessalian. Variety was the spice of life to Longinus and whilst he preferred blondes - which neither Thessala nor Alexius were - he was hardly going to kick either out of bed. He rolled his eyes at Aulus; yes, yes, we know you're the Consul...how many months left now? but it was good natured ribbing, even in his head. His friend had earned his time here as one of the pre-eminent citizens of the most civilised empire in the world. He'd let him have his minor arrogances. 

He laughed as well, at the joke - these were really excellent seats. Evidently the pair on the sands just below them knew one another. Even more fun. "Yes, bring them up here!" He chimed in with Marcus, nodding enthusiastically as he sipped his wine. He supposed, being a close personal friend of the Consul should mean he was more refined than he was currently being but...then again, they were at a private gladiatorial match sponsored by a brothel, so who really cared if he sat up straight? "Or back to your domus? Or Titus'? Isn't Valeria out of town?" He grinned smugly at Titus. 

TAG: @Liv @Sharpie @Atrice

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Charis smiled a little, nodding. It was indeed hard to pick - she liked both, enjoyed both of their company. She knew Alexius better - intimately so - but Thessala had likely saved her life whilst Alexius had only really saved her from getting slapped by Helios. She bit at her lip. Decisions decisions. 

Tertius seemed to be having the same idea as he proposed a wager. She felt nerves flood her, as if she'd been submerged and concentrated on sipping her wine. Tertius liked games, he played them when he didn't even realise he was doing it if one could call his inscrutable moods a game. She didn't know what he'd want from her if he won, but in th eb ack of her mind she suspected. Her son was growing up, needing her less at night and she'd noticed a distance between Tertius and hiss bodyslave, if Hectors moods were anything to go by. But maybe she was wrong, maybe that's not what he was inferring at all? She glanced at him now and nodded slowly. 

"I have nothing to give you if you win, domine..." She said with a slight smile. Anything he wanted from her he could take after all...and what did she want from him? An immediate thought popped in her mind but she chose not to verbalise it, instead glancing back down at the stands, studying both. "I...think Alexius will win." 

• Like 1

Screwing the gladiatrix was far down on Titus' list of priorities, although if the consul really insisted, he figured he wouldn't be in much of a position to say no, and so he just made a non-committal sound that could have meant anything. Women were supposed to be soft and supple and curvy and fleshy as far as he was concerned, and the woman in the arena seemed to be exactly none of those things. Said woman had just inflicted the first wound of the match to the crowd's deafening cheer, but Lexus quickly fought back with a daring move that had the public roaring, young Silanus gasping and Titus chuckling. It really was different when the gladiators were having fun and not just fighting for their lives.

"She was supposed to go visit her parents, but then my sister dropped by and those plans went down the cloaca maxima. We just barely made it out," Titus complained with a glance at his son, who was busy giving his impressions of the match to anyone who would listen. "Knowing Sulpicia, she probably invited herself to dinner. If you like an audience, by all means! My domus is at your disposition." Hopefully Longinus wouldn't take him up on his offer, because that would result in a lot of explaining to do. "If not, having them come here is good enough. Bet they will be awestruck when they get up close and personal with our consul," Titus added with a cheeky grin flashed Aulus' way. "What prize does the winner get, in addition to praise and glory?"

@Sara @Atrice @Chevi @Sharpie

• Like 3

"I daresay my finances can stretch to a purse of sesterces for the winner," Aulus replied. "And there are generally two consuls in Rome, even in these strange modern days that we live in - although I will admit that my fellow Consul found that he had other demands on his time and couldn't be present this evening."

At least those present seemed to be enjoying themselves - even his son Titus was talking with Sulpicius Rufus' son, who must be four or five years younger.

"Well, first blood goes to the Thessalian witch," he added with satisfaction, although the older Lexus was not slow in returning the favour - or attempting to, scoring a hit on the woman's leather belt, which sent the crowd (those not supplied by the Venus, anyway) into roars of ecstasy at the hope that such a strike would end in baring the woman's lower parts to the view of all. Leather being more durable than cloth, they were bound to be disappointed.

"I have no objection at all to bringing them up here," he said - they had all been thinking what he had, apparently. He wondered which of them would gain the Thessalian's favour (or at least, get in there first with a monetary offer to make it worth her lanista's lending her out) and which would have to do with one of the beauties from the Venus - there were bare breasts a-plenty for those who found their attention wandering from the two on the sand below.

• Like 2

She drew blood, it hurt, but it was fine and it wasn’t anything he hadn’t tried before. It would just be a new scar to add to the collection. They were fighting now and there was no time to consider wounds, that would be something they’d do later. Now it was all about entertainment and who lost and who won. She shrieked and he chuckled, he knew her, but he could tell it might be terrifying to someone who didn’t know her so well.

She teased him and he made a bold move, coming at her and managing to lift his shield up above his head to slash at her. He managed to make quite the tear at her leather belt and she grinned and joked. Alexius put the shield back down again, grinning back at her.

“Maybe I should.” He winked and looked up at the crowd, “What say you? Undress her?” He yelled up at them and they all cheered and whistled and Alexius nodded, looking at her again, “So that’s what we’ll do…” He said to her and danced a bit around her. She knew it was all for show, right? Not that he didn’t find her appealing, Alexius had always admired strong women like her… but this was for entertainment only and it was the Domus Venus who paid them tonight. So why not? How to do it though… if he could get towards her from behind, he might have an easier attempt slashing at the right piece of cloth or leather and something would fall… Alexius decided to let her have the next attack and he was ready for her coming at him.

@Sara@Chevi @Liv @Sharpie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Maybe I should. What say you? Undress her?”

Thessala appreciated a fellow professional who knew how to work a crowd as well as a sword. The spectators' vote sounded unanimous. Of course, they were here for a different kind of show; lighter, more exciting, less bloody. She flashed a grin at the crowd. Of course they wanted to see her naked. They always wanted to see everyone naked. This was Rome, after all.

“So that’s what we’ll do…” 

"Oh, I don't know" Thessala tossed her head, braids flying as Alexius put his shield down and they circled each other. She raised one of her swords to the crowd. "What say you? Undress him instead and bend him to my will?"

They also seemed to like that idea. This was going to be a win-win situation.

@Atrice @Sharpie @Sara @Liv

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, that was an unexpected turn to the fight. Aulus leaned forward in interest as they spoke to one another, and made their offers to the gathered crowd.

He waited until they had turned back towards him - the crowd was one thing (every gladiator wanted to please the masses, after all), but every fighter knew the real power and decision lay with the person in the seat of honour, which, today, was him. He gestured for silence and once he received it (or as much quiet as he was likely to get) he addressed the two fighters on the sands below, pitching his voice to be heard by as many of the gathered spectators as possible.

"An admirable target with a clear winner in the end. The winner will receive a purse of money and my patronage. The loser... we shall see."

He would not let the loser go unrewarded; a good show should be rewarded, especially if the loser was going to end up stripped naked in public as a result of the fight - or as naked as the other could get them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This was getting interesting! And not just because of all the barely dressed people serving up here, but also because of the two on the sands. They began talking about undressing each other. He thought he'd rather the Thessalian undressed rather than Lexus, though. So maybe he should root for the male after all? And apparently, his idea with bringing the two up here after the match was a good idea. He couldn't help but smile when the others chimed in and it was more or less decided, that they would come up here. So he'd meet an old and famous gladiator up close and personal and a gladiatrix, who was hopefully less scary when she was closer and more naked. 

Aulus was even kind enough to want to give the winner a prize and maybe something for the loser too. 

"They should be grateful just to get to meet you." Marcus said at first, "But, I guess... hmm... how about free wine and roam the rest of the evening at this event? Unless the winner is too beaten and needs to be patched up." He chuckled and looked at the sands again. The crowd was cheering for the gladiator and the gladiatrix to undress each other, but it was impossible to tell who they'd rather see naked. Maybe both equally? Now that would be a sight! 

@Sara@Liv@Chevi@Sharpie

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Of course she’d throw it back at him, Alexius thought with a little laugh, when she tossed her hair and then suggested she undressed him instead. He couldn’t help but laugh, “Kinky! And that would be a sight for everyone, wouldn’t it?” He replied to her out loud, so the crowd could hear it too, as they continued to circle each other. He was still going over what to do and glanced briefly at the shield. It was useful in some ways, but it was large and heavy.

“Alright witch… we shall see…” He finally said to her and again, came at her with the shield first, hiding behind it. But this time, instead of lifting it up like he did before, he threw it aside, crashing it into the side of the arena while Alexius ran towards her, head first like a bull, hoping to manage to tackle her to the ground.

@Chevi @Sharpie @Sara @Liv

• Like 3

“Kinky! And that would be a sight for everyone, wouldn’t it?” 

Thessala smirked, but didn't argue. Alexius looked attractive. For his age.

People turned towards the podium seats as the consul spoke up.

"An admirable target with a clear winner in the end. The winner will receive a purse of money and my patronage. The loser... we shall see."

A consul's patronage. That was not a bad thing to win at a brothel game. Thessala grinned.

"Pay the loser some company for the night! He'll be naked already anyway." she called back. Normally she would not have talked to a patrician this way, but it was all part of the show, and some of the crowd howled with laughter at the suggestion. Others booed, no doubt favoring Alexius. "Oh, relax. I'll leave his pecker untouched."

Quips done, it was time to get back to the fight. Thessala had a new objective now: get Alexius naked. Or half naked, anyway. That was going to be tricky, but not impossible with two swords at hand.

“Alright witch… we shall see…”

He ran at her first, tossing the shield aside. She was glad to see it go, now he was at less of an advantage, but still formidable as he barreled towards her. There was only a split second to decide what she wanted to do. Thessala went with the most challenging option: she only moved to the side a little, not fully out of the way, and braced herself for impact - hoping she could use Alexius' momentum to take him down to the ground. Who didn't like some good wrestling?

@Atrice @Liv @Sharpie @Sara

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Helios was here and not entirely pleased with it. He’d met with none other than the former Caesar last summer, who promised him so many things, should Helios complete the task he’d been given. And he had completed the task, but apparently not soon enough, for suddenly there was a new Caesar and he never heard anything from the former again. So he was still a slave. Next year he’d be 30 years old and still a slave. But he kept his savings and hoped his mistress would soon accept it so he could gain his freedom.

Yet he was not free tonight.  And so he was here, on the prowl for the next Senator to seduce or maybe a Senator’s wife, for once? He served drinks as the rest of the people of the Domus Venus, he made himself available to them, but the game was still on down on the sands and he was not yet to retire with anyone. He was far too valuable to sell to the lowest bidder, after all.

That’s when he saw someone who’d not bid low on him… if he would at all, though. Tertius Quinctilius Varus. He’d met him briefly once, back when he sold the interesting story of Charis to the man. And Charis had been angry when she saw him again. Didn’t she understand he did what he had to do, to earn his coin and maybe one day his freedom? She was a slave too. Wouldn’t she do the same? Maybe not. And she was here too, he saw! How interesting.

He glanced at the arena, that was Alexius down there, the former gladiator who saved Charis from Helios back then. The same former gladiator who had fucked his mistress in the streets of Rome. Yes, he had juice on Alexius too, if he should ever need it. But he was not available to save Charis right now. He was not important. Not as important as a fine looking Senator only accompanied by a petty female slave. Maybe he should drop by their seats… he decided to do it. Go for it. And so he began climbing the steps towards their seats.

@Sara

• Like 1