Awkward is an understatement (Gaius, Ovinia)

Chevi

Ovinia's lips twitched in the hint of a smile at 'important things' buts he managed to stifle her giggle in a sip of her wine as she listened to Gaius and then Lucius' add-on, not that he seemed particularly enthused by the idea. Ovinia couldn't blame him, it sounded dull and dreary - following the orders of somebody else in some far flung province. Not that she was going to say as much out loud anyway, but she counted her blessings that the elder Vipsanius Roscius brother was past all of that and seemed to be settling into his career here in Rome; at least according to her brother. She pitied the poor women dragged here and there on the whims of their husbands. 

Bemused and confused by the interaction over the savillum, she nonetheless took a slice. It was too sweet for her, but she nonetheless smiled politely. 

"The city," She offered as she set down the leftovers of her dessert, "With my father being a Praetor we generally stay through the summers as well given he has to work, and despite the heat I've come to actually quite enjoy it." She chuckled, "And I'm afraid I find the countryside a little...dull, serene though it might be." Tullus gave her leg a nudge, "What of you?" She queried and tipped her head, "I understand from your brother that he spent most of his youth in the country but that you did not? Perhaps you'll convince me of its benefits?" She grinned and Tullus seemed to relax a little.

TAG: @Chevi @Sharpie

• Like 2

Ovinia took a piece of savillum, and so did Lucius. He had had fun making it. Maybe it could have been a tad less sweet, but all in all, he was satisfied with the result. More so than the conversation, which was taking another boring turn.

"I understand the savillum was made by a trainee cook. If it not up to your standards, I am sure that the cook in question could be set to cleaning the floors while they contemplate their choice of position in this house," 

Ooh, Gaius was losing his cool. Lucius had the decency to look a little sheepish about it.

"What of yourself, Ovinia Camilla? Do you prefer the country or life in Rome?"

"The city.With my father being a Praetor we generally stay through the summers as well given he has to work, and despite the heat I've come to actually quite enjoy it. And I'm afraid I find the countryside a little...dull, serene though it might be." 

Lucius hid his smiled behind the pastry. She just had to keep commenting on things to annoy him. Wasn't she supposed to be paying more attention to Gaius?... The brother seemed to think so. Not very subtly.

"What of you? I understand from your brother that he spent most of his youth in the country but that you did not? Perhaps you'll convince me of its benefits?" 

Lucius looked at his brother, wondering what he would say to that. Of the two of them, Lucius clearly liked the estate and the country better. But the question was aimed at Gaius, in a not entirely innocent way, and he had been annoying enough for now.

@Sharpie @Sara

• Like 1

"I spent time in the country, but I also spent time here in Rome. Both have their good points as well as their bad,as most things do." He smiled, trying to ease the conversation out of its awkwardness and into something more comfortable for all of them. "You're not kept awake by the cart wheels rumbling past for most of the night, in the country, for one thing."

The savillum was surprisingly good, if a little on the sweet side; his brother (if his suspicions were correct and it was Lucius who'd made it) had been a little heavy-handed with the honey. Still, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

The country meant a retreat, time away from the pressures of a career - not that Lucius needed such a thing. He could hope, though. Time to relax, enjoy the simple pleasures...

"Admittedly, when in the country, you don't have access to a proper library or public baths, but every good villa should have its own bath-house, and one can always build a library."

@Sara @Chevi

• Like 1

Ovinia was waiting for a quip, or a snide comment from Lucius' mouth and was relieved when none came. Instead, she shifted herself to focus entirely on Gaius - which seemed to alleviate some of Tullus' irritation as he stopped nudging her leg and instead focused on his savillum. 

"I'm not much of a reader," She admitted with a little awkwardness. She could read - which was a skill in and of itself, but hardly did it for pleasure. There were so many other things intensely more interesting than sitting alone unfurling a book scroll to her, "But I agree with you on the baths." She chuckled and took a sip of her wine. She realised he'd still not really answered her question - and supposed he'd make an excellent politician because of it; pointing out the benefits and negatives of both options without really committing to either. 

"But you've not answered my question," She smiled gently, "Whether you prefer the city or country?" She cast a sideways glance at Lucius to watch his reaction, wondering if proximity to his brother factored in at all to Gaius' equation. 

TAG: @Chevi @Sharpie

• Like 2

Lucius allowed his brother to answer the question that was aimed at him. It was only polite. Also, Ovinia wanted to find out more about the man she was being offered to, more likely than not. And she already knew a lot about Lucius.

"I spent time in the country, but I also spent time here in Rome. Both have their good points as well as their bad,as most things do. You're not kept awake by the cart wheels rumbling past for most of the night, in the country, for one thing."

"It also smells better out there" Lucius smirked. Rome, for all the sewers and plumbing it had, still had the distinct smell of a large city.

"Admittedly, when in the country, you don't have access to a proper library or public baths, but every good villa should have its own bath-house, and one can always build a library."

"And if you are lucky, your villa has hot springs" Lucius added, taking another bite of pastry. Their own estate where he grew up had springs, but not the warm kind. Those were highly prized, and whoever could get a hold of them definitely spent a lot more time in their villa. Especially if they also had a library.

"I'm not much of a reader. But I agree with you on the baths." 

He could tell that Ovinia was a little sheepish about not reading much. What did rich girls do in their spare time? She did not go out much for fun, she was not allowed to attend parties, and apparently she also didn't read?

"But you've not answered my question. Whether you prefer the city or country?"

"Yes Gaius, do answer the lady" Lucius grinned. His opinion was clear, and Ovinia already knew it. Now it was Gaius' turn to stop being so damn diplomatic about his opinions.

@Sharpie @Sara

• Like 1