Innocents abroad (Modern day AU)

Chevi

"I broke off my engagement because I knew Jacob wouldn't make me happy. You make me happy, that's not a competition." 

His heart jumped at that, against his better judgment. You make me happy. Back then, several months before, he loved to see her genuinely happy. Even when she didn't notice what was really happening. Lucius sighed, abandoning his breakfast to stand up and pace. Folding his arms would have been better, but one arm was not really cooperating with that.

"My dad told me not to come out here, he told me to get a job in New York, he was going to introduce me to some of his friends' sons. I said no and flew out anyway. I'm trying." 

Well, her family was already in action. Freaking Middle Ages, trying to marry her out to someone else right away. He grumbled, shaking his head. So, in the end, it turned out she did fly all the way out here for him.

"And how do I know I'd be enough, this time?" this was getting very, very real now, but he was too tired for games, or waiting around for either of them to speak. He leaned back against the kitchen counter to look at her, more tired than angry. "I don't even have real damn bowls. This is as far as you get from your lifestyle, princess, and I'm not sure I want to be there when you realize you want the glamour after all."

You told me I didn't try had enough.

@Sara

• Like 1

"I'd buy you bowls." She said and laughed at the ridiculousness of the statement, still sat cross legged at the table but now facing him. "And I still want the glamour," She shook her head, "But I also want other things. I don't want to give up Instagram but maybe I'd like to go to a museum or two? I'm, I'm not going to stop wearing heels but volunteering yesterday, yeah, fine, it did feel good." She shrugged. She wanted them to compliment each other, not change each other. That's what she realised. 

"And yeah, maybe I convince you to go to a nice restaurant once in a while, doesn't mean you can't still go to a protest. And who knows - maybe I'll even take you to a driving range but guess what Lucius? You can still read a dorky history book after." She was smiling, but worry filled her eyes. She wasn't sure she was convincing. 

"You were happy, with me. I know you were." 

TAG: @Chevi

• Haha 1

"I'd buy you bowls."

Point. Camilla. Two to five miles of distance.

Lucius opened his mouth, but she carried on.

"And I still want the glamour. But I also want other things. I don't want to give up Instagram but maybe I'd like to go to a museum or two? I'm, I'm not going to stop wearing heels but volunteering yesterday, yeah, fine, it did feel good." 

He stared at her, not sure what to say to that. Was this... a negotiation? A confession? A plan? What on earth was happening here? She had never really conceded so many things in one fell swoop before. 

"And yeah, maybe I convince you to go to a nice restaurant once in a while, doesn't mean you can't still go to a protest. And who knows - maybe I'll even take you to a driving range but guess what Lucius? You can still read a dorky history book after."  

His heart felt all warm, which filled him with a sense of danger. He'd carefully picked up the pieces before, and now here she was, talking about the only thing he had long decided never to run towards again. She wanted him back. She had thought about all this.

Also, driving range, what the fuck.

Point. Lucius. Distance.

Focus.

"You were happy, with me. I know you were." 

I was.

He stared at her, everything inside him fighting a battle in a turmoil of emotions. This was a situation he'd never imagined, or if he had, it certainly had not looked anything like this. With the run down apartment, the broken arm, the painkillers, the bad cereal. It was so surreal it almost made him laugh.

There was a long silence instead.

"I... want to hear it. Your song."

@Sara

• Like 1

"What?" She frowned deeply at him. A heartfelt confession, laying all her cards on the table and...he wanted to hear the song? She almost felt embarrassed, but swallowed that feeling. She had written it for him. It contained all the things that at  the time, she couldn't verbalise. 

"You don't have a piano," She retorted. "Take me to one and I'll sing it, if not..." She leant down to sweep up her bag (perks of being in a tiny studio apartment, everything was in reaching distance) and rummaged around for the flash drive. She winced. "It's not here...the drive. We must have left it at the bar." She couldn't sing it without the piano, it would sound stupid - that was 99.9% of the composition. But she wanted to show that she actually wanted to and she swung her legs down, pushing herself to stand, downing the rest of the coffee as she did. "I'm guessing Ben's place doesn't have a piano? If not, one of the fancy hotels will." 

Was this really happening? Did she only have to sing and then she got him? Seriously?

• Like 1

"What?" 

"I want to hear you sing it." he repeated patiently. There was a look of confusion in her face. Maybe even annoyance? He was not even sure why he was asking. All of this was like flying blind.

"You don't have a piano. Take me to one and I'll sing it, if not... It's not here...the drive. We must have left it at the bar."

She rummaged around in her bag, and came up with no flash drive. It was clear now that she was confused about why he was asking. Maybe, Lucius was beginning to realize, hints did not work as well as people thought they did.

"I'm guessing Ben's place doesn't have a piano? If not, one of the fancy hotels will." 

"Camilla, stop." he sighed, pulling up his chair to sit next to her and try to catch her eyes. "I chose that poem for you, because... at the time, I thought it could express something I... thought I was not supposed to say. It was... well. I think I overthought it." How hard would it have been just to day I love you, back then? Would she have heard it the same way?... He ran a hand through his hair in a gesture he usually used when he was annoyed with himself. "And you are overthinking it now." he added. "I have never heard you sing, or play music. It is such... a huge part of who you are. And I know you don't show that to most people. I guess... I wanted you to trust me enough for that. But I understand if you don't. You're not the only one who made mistakes."

@Sara

• Like 1

She was bold, in that moment and reached for his good hand. She wanted to wrap her arms around him but held off. A hand would have to do. "I do trust you enough for it, I just..." She removed her hand from his and laughed, genuinely, grinning and looking a  bit exasperated, "Honestly, and I'm not joking here - the song without the music is dreadful. You will laugh, and I don't want you  to laugh, I want you to..." She swallowed, "I want you to watch me and I want you to see how much work I put into it." All for you. 

Decisively, she pushed herself from around the table and moved to slip her sneakers back on. She picked up his keys and then, rummaging  through his various piles of clothes - threw a pair of sweat pants at him. Camilla Birch was going to hunt for a piano come hell or high water, and she was going to do it wearing a man's boxer shorts, ratty old t-shirt  with the man she loved.

• Haha 1

He had given her an out. She could choose to walk away from this without any obligations, even with a sense of absolution. This had all been said and done before. But instead, she reached out for his hand.

"I do trust you enough for it, I just... Honestly, and I'm not joking here - the song without the music is dreadful. You will laugh, and I don't want you  to laugh, I want you to... I want you to watch me and I want you to see how much work I put into it."

Lucius blinked as she got up, all determined. He didn't actually catch the sweatpants she threw at him, but he picked them up and put them on. Was Camilla fucking Birch actually about to walk out of the apartment in his shirt and shorts?... His jaw dropped at the realization. She totally was.

He followed, too shocked to speak, as she marched them out of the apartment. Not many people were around, most of the neighborhood choosing to spend time in a safer place, even though the evacuation order had probably been lifted by now. Which was good, because they were definitely a sight as they walked out into the street.

@Sara

• Haha 1

"Most dive bars have a piano right?" She frowned as she walked down the street. She had at least remembered her sunglasses, and still had her earrings in from two days ago. Back in New York, during fashion week, this would probably be considered street style, right? 

She vaguely remembered the way back to Ben's and as they rounded the corner - she saw it. "Aha!" she grinned over her shoulder at him. If this was all it took - singing that stupid song, playing those keys which she'd pained over for months then she was golden. She didn't feel nervous. Not yet anyway. 

It was open - which was a relief, and she ducked her head through the door - squinting into the darkness. "Do you have a piano?" She called over to Ben - who stood behind the bar, bemused in the empty building. He retorted; "It's ten thirty in the morning?" She shrugged and stared him down as she lifted her sunglasses. Sighing and with a glance of quizzical amusement to Lucius, he indicated with his thumb to a corner. 

Camilla's face was a picture. It was a cheap piece of junk, used for sing-a-longs and drunken cabaret nights probably. The wood was marked with ring stains and it was covered in a thin layer of dust. She took a seat and tried to adjust it. No dice. At least she could reach the pedals, just. She set about fiddling, pressing keys and then tutted at Ben; "You need to tune this." As if anybody but somebody like her would care. She saw Ben and Lucius talking but concentrated on the piano and rifling through her phone to where she had kept pictures of the sheet music she'd written. 

"Sadly I can't stay for the performance, deliveries call." He chuckled as he left and clapped Lucius on the shoulder as he headed out back. 

"Ready?" She asked, and didn't know why her fingers were trembling.

"Most dive bars have a piano right?" 

"They do when it's the 1920s...?" Lucius ventured, but she was already on a roll, marching with intention towards Ben's place. Lucius followed, equal parts amused, shocked, and curious. Ben looked about the same when they walked in, looking over first Camilla and then him. Oh, Ben had questions. He knew some of the story from some drunken nights.

"Do you have a piano?"

"It's ten thirty in the morning?" 

"Just go with it." Lucius supplied. Ben did have a piano. How had he never noticed it before?...

Maybe because no one ever played it. Camilla looked a bit awkward ever sitting at it. This had to be hell for a musician. Lucius stared at her in wonder.

"You need to tune this." 

"Is she for real?"

"Oh, she is."

"Is it a bet?"

"No... not exactly."

"Are you getting laid on my piano?"

"Would it make it any worse if I did?"

"Don't."

"Fair."

Ben tossed Lucius the keys before he headed for the exit.

"Sadly I can't stay for the performance, deliveries call." 

And then there were two of them. 

"Ready?" She seemed nervous. Lucius walked over, standing by the piano. Still not completely sure this was happening at all. "Take it away, princess."

@Sara

Edited by Chevi
  • Haha 1

She smiled and inclined her head, looking at the keys. How was she nervous? She'd played and sung this so many times. She started and then stopped, glancing up at him awkwardly; "I haven't warmed up my voice or my hands, so if it's terrible, or I go off key, no judgements." She started again for a fraction of a second and then stopped; "And no laughing." 

God she was nervous. She felt sick. The song - when she had been singing it at her showcase - had been emotional for her but this was something else. What if he hated it? What if he still hated her afterwards? But she had to try. So after one final quick exhale, she started. 

It was four minutes, give or take and she really did give it everything. The way she had arranged it - original Latin to English and back, high and low, sad and melancholic building to power and then dying down again. When she finished, in the original Latin and let the notes fade away to nothing, she took a breath. Her eyes were watery and her cheeks were flushed. She swallowed, the silence was now deafening. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. 

"W-well?" 

• Sad 1

She was nervous. He could tell. It was touching, how much she cared about all this, even though there was no one to hear her but him. It was the kind of thing he had wished she'd show him before. But he also suddenly felt nervous too. He was about to see something that was a very private side of her.

"I haven't warmed up my voice or my hands, so if it's terrible, or I go off key, no judgements. And no laughing." 

"Promise."

She played. And sang.

It was incredible.

Not because of the composition (although that was great too, no wonder she got good grades). It was her, with no audience and no lights (and a badly tuned piano), making magic out of something that he'd given her, something they shared, and something she wanted to say. Something that was so uniquely hers that even back when they had been together she had not shared it. She had put a lot of work into it, he knew that. But she put in even more of just herself. She looked the most natural he had ever seen her, despite the messy hair and the t-shirt, with her fingers on the keys and her feet barely reaching the pedals. Lucius felt his own breathing falling into the rhythm of the song, and it felt as if a weight had been lifted off his chest.

The song, Latin and English and all, faded into silence. Camilla looked up, flushed and teary, and looking more nervous than he had ever seen her. He looked back at her, still under the spell of what had just happened, not sure how to break the silence.

"W-well?" 

"I love you."

@Sara

• Like 1

I love you. Fuck. "I love you too." She choked, and sat still transfixed on the stool that was far too high, fingers still on the keys. She felt dizzy and awkward and well...it had been a year or so and he was changed, she was as well. It felt different now, it felt more...honest? Real? They weren't in some sacred ancient temple, nor standing on a balcony in full evening wear, they were in a cheap bar in a pretty bland bit of California, looking like shit, probably feeling like shit too actually. But it felt better. There wasn't the weight on her shoulder this time. 

She glanced up at him again and wanted to jump up into his arms, her heart felt like it was beating so fast it would explode if she didn't and she almost did before she realised the arm. Right. Instead, she moved to kneel on the stool so they were at least the same height. She finally smiled, the shock and surprise wearing off. "You realise this means you have to buy me a piano now? So I can play for you more often?" And then she kissed him, and it felt...it felt like coming home. 

• Like 1

"I love you too." 

Lucius smiled. It was the first genuine, happy smile he'd had for ages. Camilla clambered up to kneel on the stool, whatever are you doing woman, and smiled too. Damn, it was the weirdest perfect moment.

"You realise this means you have to buy me a piano now? So I can play for you more often?"

There were clever things he could have responded with, but fuck all of them, the kiss was more important. He wrapped his good arm around her waist and pulled her close, hoping she wouldn't overbalance right off the stool, but that was the very last rational thought in his head before their lips collided. They had had many kisses before... but never quite like this one. It was very much like the music she'd composed, or the fresh water she had brought him. Lucius lost himself in it. This kiss was all theirs, no guilt or choices or hesitation. When they finally had to break for air, he barely pulled away, resting his forehead against hers. Words... were not very easy to find.

@Sara

• Like 1

She lingered there, lost in the sensation of his arm around her waist of his forehead against hers. God there were so many things she wanted to say but all of them had drifted from her mind. As had all the worries and the questions they still had outstanding. Lucius had taught her to live in the moment and well...this was her living it. 

When she did speak her voice was hoarse and she brushed his lips as she did. "We can't fuck it up this time, okay?" It was more of a question to herself, given she fucked it up in the first place. 

They had all the time in the world, and a bar empty and all for them and yet even wrapped in his arm with her own wound round his neck she didn't know what to do. She knew what she wanted to do though and hey, if they were being honest now... She grinned against his lips and then leant to whisper in his ear; "Back to your apartment?" 

• Like 1

"We can't fuck it up this time, okay?" 

"Yeah" he breathed, wrapped up in her arms and in the moment. He was not going to fuck it up this time. This time, she was all his, and they were in this together all the way. Damn, that was hard to ever wrap his head around.

"Back to your apartment?" 

He chuckled, with a low rumbling sound in his chest as she whispered in his ear.

"Well, I did promise Ben I wouldn't get laid on his piano." he noted, before stepping back to allow her to find her feet. He would have carried her all the way over, but... well. Broken arm. He reached out for her hand instead. "Have I mentioned you look damn good in my clothes?"

@Sara

• Haha 1

She grinned, but rolled her eyes, "What a romantic way to put it." But she expected - nor wanted - anything but a cheeky comment from him, in pain and tired as he was. 

"Mhmm." She shook her head and grinned smugly at him, "You haven't but thank you. I was actually thinking," She gripped his hand as she unperched herself from the stool and wobbled to her feet, falling into step with him, leaning against his good side, "That your t-shirts are quite fashionable. Not so much with boxers, but with jeans and maybe heels...I could have a whole generation of young women who follow me, following your fashion." She grinned, joking. She felt relaxed around him - and was in no hurry to get back to the apartment. Well...she was, and she wasn't. She'd missed this - just fooling around, banter, even his often barbed comments she missed. She missed him. 

She leant up on her toes. "And have I mentioned that I love you?"