A chip off the old block (right?)

Horatia watched her father with hawkish interest. She could see the cogs in his head spinning, slotting ideas into place. She paid no heed to his comment on Aulus; they were both ambitious but Rome was by far a large enough city for both the men in her life to leave their stamp. 

What she hadn't expected was his vehemence at the temple idea. She blinked watching her usually fairly restrained father almost drown himself with wine at the thought. She was a little lost for her words, her mouth lolling open and a frown creasing her brow. He was not himself, or at least seemed that way to her. But perhaps it was excitement? More than anything sinister? She hoped so. She gave him a wan smile, worried for him and inclined her head. "Which Godddess, father?" There were plenty already constructed, after all. "I'm sure the city would be grateful either way, of course." 

TAG: @locutus-sum

Marcus choked on his wine.

"Which goddess?" he gasped. "My dear, what does that matter?"

It took him a few seconds of staring at Horatia's concerned expression to realise what he'd said.

"Well, I mean... of course it matters, but..." He knew exactly to whom he wished to dedicate the temple, that was the thing. But if Horatia realised exactly what he meant, she'd think he'd finally gone round the twist. Really, it didn't matter which goddess - Livia Calavia had been all of them to him: a dutiful Hestia, an quick-witted Minerva, an enticing Venus - just that it would be her. Could he manage to go in secret to the stonemasons with the clay funeral mask under his toga, clutching to his chest that face that still greeted him every time he entered his home, just with empty terracotta eyes? Could he look the man in the eye and tell him that this was to be the face of the goddess? Could he stand the mason's curious gaze without striking him for his impudence? And how long before Horatia would look up at the marble features being chiselled away and connect the soulless stone to that face in a wave of recognition?

All these things tugged at Marcus like a small child hanging onto the edge of his father's toga. For once, though, he ignored his reason and gave in. Yes, he'd do it. Maybe he really had gone round the twist this time. But once Marcus Horatius Justinus got an idea into his head, it was not an easy thing to get it out again.

"What I mean is, choosing between so many worthy deities will be no easy task..." he blundered, praying Horatia wouldn't think any more of his strange reaction. "I favour Juno myself, but she already has a temple. Perhaps Venus, then, to thank her for granting me this wonderful family." But then again, would a temple to Venus be misinterpreted? He hadn't so much as looked at another woman since... well. "Or perhaps... yes, Hestia! Rome could do with a reminder of the values of the home," he said, gazing off into the distance, before snapping back to reality. "What do you say, my dear?"

@Sara - sorry it's a bit rubbish today! I am exhausted