It's always the gardener

Chevi

Lexus didn't know what to do or say. He'd never been in this sort of situation before! While the girls were talking, he just stood there, feeling stupid and awkward... and he tried to run through in his mind, what his father would have done. He'd have handled this smoothly. Maybe he didn't give his father credit enough for how good he was at handling girls. Because he was definitely way better than Lexus was! Maybe he should pay attention next time?

Meanwhile, Thalia was far from quiet and she didn't feel awkward. She didn't know what she felt! A tiny part of her felt jealous that her sister got kissed, but then, how often before had this happened and now it was happening right here, in their garden! And he was wearing worker's clothes, he was definitely not of a rank to match them and no subject for marriage for her sister. Thalia could not even say it looked like he was taking advantage of her sister, because it definitely seemed like Clio was as into it as he was. So what was she doing? And did she sneak him in here?! 

Clio said he worked there and was the new gardener. Thalia gave him a look. The new gardener?

"Right, sure he's a gardener and you just happened to meet him. And I thought you were supposed to be the smart one!" Thalia said with a roll of her eyes and then gave Lexus a look, "If you're a gardener, shouldn't you be working? If grandfather hears about this..." He'd be out on the street head first in no time! 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Lexus was not saying anything. He probably didn't know what to say, and neither did Clio. Thalia had always been the more confident of the twins, and right now, she also had the high ground.

"Right, sure he's a gardener and you just happened to meet him. And I thought you were supposed to be the smart one!"

Clio winced, looking sheepishly at her sister. She really did just happen to meet Lexus... not that it was any excuse.

"If you're a gardener, shouldn't you be working? If grandfather hears about this..."

"Please don't tell him!" Now she was scared, realizing all that could happen if Grandfather found out. To her, but also more importantly to Lexus, who did not belong to... a noble family. "Please, Thalia... Nothing happened!"

@Atrice

• Like 1

The more she thought about this situation, the more crazy it seemed to her. That her own sister would be kissing the gardener was mad enough. But in their own garden? And her sister? But of course, nobody would ever suspect Clio, because she was not as outgoing as Septima. And here she was, with a gardener boy, that did seem familiar, but that didn't make it better. 

Thalia then began addressing the boy, wondering if this was what he did when he worked and mused about telling their grandfather. Clio seemed scared now. And said nothing happened.

"Something clearly happened, or was that not a kiss after all?" Thalia asked, crossing her arms as she looked at them both.

@Chevi

• Like 1

This was getting out of hand and it was his fault. Lexus looked at the hand she'd been holding, the hand that he hurt on the thorn of a rose, and look where it got them now. Stupid, that's what it was. And it was also stupid and not very nice of him to just let the girls talk. He was just standing here like an ass or something. The older Septima didn't want to believe nothing happened and Lexus inhaled a breath.

"Really, that's all it was. A kiss. And don't blame her. It's my fault, I asked to kiss her. I shouldn't have." Lexus said with a small sigh, "Please, don't blame her. It won't happen again." Wouldn't it? Lexus did want more. It had been so nice! But he couldn't risk it, could he? His father would be so disappointed, that he couldn't even keep his new job for one single day... "I don't want to lose my job..." 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Clio knew she was losing this fight. But maybe, just maybe, her sister would take pity on her and not tell to Grandfather?

"Something clearly happened, or was that not a kiss after all?" 

Clio looked crestfallen at her sister. Yes, it definitely had been a kiss. Lexus decided to speak up.

"Really, that's all it was. A kiss. And don't blame her. It's my fault, I asked to kiss her. I shouldn't have. Please, don't blame her. It won't happen again." 

Clio's gaze flickered to Lexus and back. Wouldn't it? She knew it had been a mistake, but she hated the idea of not kissing him again. They were just getting the hang of it...

"I don't want to lose my job..." 

"He is really good at his job" Clio reiterated, trying to steer away from the kissing. "And he doesn't deserve to lose it. This was silly." She swallowed. "It won't happen again."

@Atrice

• Like 1

He felt sorry for Septima, this was all his fault. Just because he asked to kiss her. Or, first she'd held his hand and been so kind to him and then he was the one who suggested they went here. Hoping no one would find them or see them. And then he asked to kiss her. But then they were seen. And it was all his fault and now she was embarrassed and her sister would never look at her the same again.

Lexus tried to talk them out of it, saying it was all his fault and that it would not happen again. He noticed how Septima looked at him, and he wanted to ensure her that he did want to kiss her again, he just didn't see how it would be a good idea, ever. At least for her. But he couldn't tell her now that he was halfway lying, could he? And on top of all that, what if he lost his job? What a fool he was. Septima agreed with him, said he was good at his job and that this would not happen again.

"It really was silly." Lexus agreed with a small sigh, "I shouldn't have done it. Please keep it a secret?" He asked, looking at her sister with pleading eyes. Maybe if he made her think he was sweet too, if he made her like him, she'd not tell? 

@Chevi

Thalia still stood there with her crossed arms, not sure what she should think or do. There were so many things wrong here! Clio! Kissing a boy! A gardener! In their garden! The right thing to do was to tell their grandfather what happened, but just that it was Lexus' fault and that he did it to her sister. That her sister had no part in it. But then he'd lose his job. And now they both begged her to not tell anyone.

Poor Clio looked so nervous and embarrassed. She felt sorry for her. And then Lexus gave her that pleading look. She could see why Clio thought he was cute, he did have really nice eyes. Gods! 

"Alright, I won't tell." Thalia finally said with a heavy sigh, as if she was really giving up, "If you promise it won't happen again! Because it shouldn't, you know. It isn't right." She added, because it wasn't. Oh she'd met many boys she'd love to have kissed, but had she ever done it? No! Because she didn't want to be known as some whore or something. Some cheap and easy girl. Because she wasn't.

"And I also really think you should return to your work." She gave Lexus a look and then Clio, "And I think we need to talk, sister. Come." She held out her hand for Clio, surely she would not argue? 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Alright, I won't tell. If you promise it won't happen again! Because it shouldn't, you know. It isn't right." 

Clio let out a sigh. She knew she was going to pay dearly for this, owing her sister forever for her silence, but the moment, she was just relieved that the whole thing was not going to come down on Lexus. How right it had been... that was another question. Clio' cheeks burned as she glanced up at Lexus. Was this really over as soon as it started?

"And I also really think you should return to your work. And I think we need to talk, sister. Come."

Clio threw one last desperate look at Lexus, before she followed her sister. She really had no ground to argue with whatever Thalia wanted. "Thank you" she muttered as they walked through the gardens together.

@Atrice

• Sad 1

Lexus knew he shouldn't have done it. He shouldn't even have asked her. But it felt right in the moment and he wanted to do it. And for once he chose to give into that, because this was literally the only girl he really wanted to kiss. Septima. And now they'd been seen and he had to promise it would not happen again. Wouldn't it though? Her sister said it shouldn't and it wasn't right. But now he'd kissed her once, he might want to again. He already did. This was a mess.

He was told to go back to work though and heard the soft sigh from Septima. She looked up at him and he looked back, but he wasn't sure what to say. It had started out so fine and now the day was ruined. If only he hadn't been such a fool and cut himself on the rose. But that's what they said, wasn't it? Roses have thorns. They're beautiful, but dangerous. Was it the same with women after all?

@Chevi

• Like 1

At least she came with her now. She didn't seem very happy, but she came. Lexus didn't seem happy either. And although she felt that pang of jealousy, now that they were walking away from the boy, she also felt a bit bad about the whole situation. It had probably been really nice. They'd seemed so into it. And she ruined it. But it was true what she said, it should not have happened and it was not right.

Her sister spoke and she looked at her, unsure where that came from, especially after her own line of thoughts... "For what? Ruining your moment?" 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"For not telling Grandfather" Clio muttered, walking with her sister. Thalia would have been well within her rights to run screaming to the paterfamilias about what she had seen. But the sisters loved each other, and hopefully they would find a better solution. Or no solution at all. Maybe it weally just wouldn't happen again. She did not want to think about it.

@Atrice

• Like 1