A morning escape

Sharpie

Sosia listened carefully and intently to all he had to say, for Davus seemed like a very bright and nice slave. What a pity for him, that he was a slave. Else they could be real friends... but couldn't they anyway? It was so tiresome, that slaves were supposed to be beneath people like Horatia Sosia, when all she wanted to do was befriend everyone. But the world wasn't made like that. Some were slaves, and some were not. Yet she could listen to slaves too. Her interest was piqued even more, when he mentioned his mistress.

"May I ask who your mistress is?" She asked in a friendly tone, "And yes, I'm sure I'll visit many places here, eventually. But the family I have in Rome... I have not spent much time with my cousins yet. And my father and brother... I'm sure they are not interested in the same places as I. And I have only met one friend so far, the girl I mentioned before." She said and then looked at him with a bright smile, "Perhaps two... that's, if you want to be my friend too." 

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"My mistress is Valeria Flacca - she's married to Titus Sulpicius Rufus, who's a senator," Davus said. Telling her that couldn't hurt anything - his master's name was inscribed on the tag hanging from his slave collar anyway, though admittedly in pretty small letters.

She hadn't mentioned a mother, but that could mean anything, of course. Perhaps it was merely that her parents were divorced. At least she had a friend who could show her around.

"I would be honoured," he added, although whether her father would accept a friendship between his daughter and a slave... Davus had never met anyone quite like Sosia. She was far too sweet and innocent to be living in a place like Rome.

He would have to look after her properly until he could pass her back into the care of her own slave.

"What sort of things do you like to do, Domina?" he asked as they arrived at the Portico of Livia. He glanced behind to see if her slave was still in sight.

@Atrice (I lost a whole chunk of this post, I the rewrite is OK! :D )

• Like 1

Sosia could not recall that her father had mentioned Rufus or Valeria Flacca, but he might have. There were so many senators in Rome, so many other noble families that it was impossible for someone like her to keep track of them all. So she simply nodded at his answer, "I hope he's a nice master." She simply replied, because Davus was such a nice person, so he deserved a nice master. Never would she understand why anyone wouldn't want to be nice to their slaves. Or other people in general. Sosia was definitely a supporter of being kind to everyone. 

And as they spoke of friends and she had mentioned Ovinia, she wondered if Davus would be her friend too. He said he would be honored to and she looked at him with a bright smile, "And it would be an honor to be your friend too, Davus." She said happily. Her body slave Helia was a bit different, but she suspected her father had given her some kind of talk and special orders, because it was hard to feel she could be really open with Helia. Which was a pity, considering that the slave was her body slave and the one she spent most time with. Well, now she had Davus, today at least. He asked her what she liked to do.

"I like the outdoors... you know, taking walks, picking fruit and so on. Uh and riding. I don't think I'll get out to ride much here though. But I have a dog, Eucleia, that I also like to walk with. She's so sweet and cute. You must meet her sometime." She explained, "What about you, what do you like to do?" 

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"He's, uh, fair," Davus said. He wasn't sure his master would like to be thought of as 'nice' - he wasn't entirely sure his master could be thought of as 'nice'. Romans didn't, in Davus' experience, want others to think of them as nice people. Strong and powerful and things like that, but nice?

Sosia was an exception to that, but then again she was both young and a woman.

"There's gardens here, if you don't want to look at the shops and things," Davus said, and tried not to look too surprised as she asked him what he liked doing. "I don't... That is, I don't often get the chance to do things I like," he said. Or the opportunity, even when he had the time. "I miss the sea - if you live near the sea, don't you like to just go and sit and look at it for a while?"

There weren't really many places in Rome where a slave could just sit and think. People always thought a slave sitting doing nothing was a slave being lazy and shirking their work, for some reason.

"I'd like to meet your dog - dogs can be very friendly and funny," he added. "My master doesn't have a dog, but he did give a puppy to a friend of his - it was the cutest thing. It looked as if its skin was too big for it, it was all wrinkled like a just-washed tunic."

@Atrice

• Like 1

He said that his master was 'fair', to which she arched a brow. Was that a good or a bad thing, to have a master who was fair? She knew her father and brother did not often agree with her views on slaves, but they didn't spend as much time with them as she did. At the villa and the farm, she often spent her days in their company, even though it became harder after that incident with the stableboy. Still she had her friends among them, even they were just female friends the last few years. Davus was honestly one of the first male slaves she'd talked to a lot, since her parents decided she should not enjoy too much male company. Well, they weren't here and this was Rome. She could fend for herself here! And if she could not, she had Davus. 

He told her about gardens in Rome, but looked surprised when she asked about what he liked to do. He said he didn't often get the chance to do things he liked. She felt sorry for him. Even more when he spoke of the sea.

"Capua wasn't far from the sea... we did go there sometimes. It was lovely. So vast." She said in a dreamy voice, thinking about the feeling of sand underneath her feet and the feeling of soft waves against her legs. And the ocean. She sighed, "I am sorry that you don't live near the sea now, Davus." She said, looking at him. But he then said he'd like to meet her dog and spoke of a dog her master had given to a friend of his.

"Oh such dogs are very cute too! I am glad you like dogs. My brother is alright with Eucleia, but my father does not see the reason for her. As she is not really a guard dog. But I love her." Davus would have to meet Eucleia. She hoped she'd meet him again. Perhaps she could suggest that her father or her brother met with Davus' master. And she could come along and spend time with her friend.

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"Fair is better than not - if one person messes up, he doesn't blame all of us," Davus said. Honestly, that was all any slave wanted in a master, when it came down to it - not to be blamed and punished when someone else messed up, and not to be punished too harshly for something minor.

She really was far too sweet and innocent to be wandering around Rome on her own! Someone was bound to take advantage of her unless she had someone to protect her, and her own slave probably wouldn't be much better if she'd served her mistress for long and therefore not been in Rome or anywhere like it before.

"I don't think I've seen the sea since I came to Italy, not really," Davus said with a shrug. She would probably feel sad for him, or sorry for him, or something, but it was just a fact of life. The last time he'd seen the sea had been when he'd been brought ashore at Ostia after the crossing from Corinth, and that had been ten years ago. He missed it, but it was hard sometimes to remember what it was that he missed.

"I don't know, I think most dogs can be guard dogs if they see a stranger in the house, but I don't really know anything about it," he added, back on the subject of dogs.

It turned out that there was a lot he didn't know; she probably thought him dull, or stupid. Oh well.

@Atrice

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

Apparently he noticed her arched brow, when he'd merely named his master 'fair' and nothing more. He said it was better than not being fair - in other words, it could be worse. Sosia knew that, of course. She knew how some people were with their slaves, but didn't know how bad they could be. She just knew Davus was way too sweet to be mistreated. She looked at him, "That's always something. I don't imagine you mess up though." She added with a soft smile, and then they'd talked about the sea. She spoke of her experience with the sea and he said he'd not seen it since he came to Italia. Again she felt sorry for him, according to her father, the sea wasn't that far away from Rome, not further than it had been in Capua. So why would Davus' master not go there? And why would he not bring Davus, if he had the chance? Surely Davus was a good and obedient slave. He seemed like it.

And he even wanted to meet Eucleia, which made her excited. She spoke more of her and he said most dogs could be guard dogs, "I suppose you're right. Although she is not trained for that. Maybe she'd be a guard dog for me though. I think that may be why father lets me walk her after dark. It would be horrible though, if it was needed... a guard dog, I mean. I hope it won't ever come to that." She mused, not at all considering Davus dull, as he was just allowing her to talk and think too, which was nice.

"Are we at the Porticus Liviae soon?" She then asked, they'd walked for a little while after all. Maybe they were getting close.

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"Yes - it's the building just there," Davus replied in answer to her query about whether they were anywhere near the Porticus Liviae. It was a pretty impressive building from the outside, situated on the lower slope of the Oppian Hill, which was one of the least impressive hills in Rome despite being one of the major seven that the city had been founded on.

"It looks better from inside, admittedly," he added, though the outside was nothing to sneeze at, not really. But then, Rome was stuffed full of impressive buildings - all the temples, and the Circus Maximus and the new Flavian Amphitheatre - far more impressive buildings than it knew what to do with.

"Well, if you stay in the better part of the city when you go walking your dog, you should be all right - though I wouldn't go out at night if you don't have to, it's very dark in places and there's all the traffic because they don't let carts and wagons and things in during the day," he said. Not that he really went out at night, most of his evening chores were in the house. It was pretty rare that his master went out after dark and needed someone to carry a torch for him to light the way.

@Atrice

• Like 1

She looked up when he said they were indeed at the Porticus Liviae now. Her eyes widened, it was huge, much larger than she imagined. Although what did she imagine when he mentioned it, and Ovinia too? She honestly wasn't sure. There was so much to explore in Rome, so many new things for her. Davus said it was more impressive from the inside and she was already curious about seeing it all.

"It is so large. But Rome is, too. It's incredible." Sosia merely said. Davus then commented on walking with her dog, and he said she should not go out at night. It was dark and there was traffic. She nodded.

"I'll remember that, thank you for your advice. Shall we go and see the inside of this place?" She asked then, hoping he would come with her. Else she'd be all alone, since she sent her body slave away to wait for her by the litter. 

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"Rome is the biggest city I've ever seen," Davus admitted, though he'd known only two others - but each of those others was a major centre of commerce and culture in its own right, too. Alexandria was founded by Alexander the Great nearly four hundred years ago, and he didn't know when Corinthos was founded but, being Greek, it was probably even older. And Rome was nearly eight hundred years old, from what he'd heard and worked out.

"I'll come in with you - I can't spend too long, though." He really did have chores back home to do, and wouldn't he be for it if he was too late home to do any of them. He was probably in for an earful as it was, but he couldn't leave the pretty girl all alone in Rome. Anyone could see that!!

"There's the gardens if you don't want to go shopping," he said. There were the shops and stalls if she didn't want to look at the gardens, too, of course. And if she did look at the shops and decide to buy something, she'd need someone to carry it for her, wouldn't she?

Even though he'd seen that her body slave was following them, so she could probably carry anything that needed it, he didn't think Sosia had realised the girl was following them.

He indicated the way in, making sure that Sosia's slave knew where they were and would be able to find them again.

The inside of the Porticus Liviae was a bustling busy place, surely just the sort of place any girl would like?

@Atrice

• Like 1

Sosia smiled when Davus said Rome was the biggest city he'd ever seen. It surely was for her too, but then, she'd not seen a lot of cities. She'd been in Capua a few times, but she honestly preferred the villa and the countryside. Yet now she was forced to get used to being in a city. At least she'd found someone kind and friendly to explore with. She spoke about going inside, assuming Davus would come with her, and he would... but not for too long. She gave him a small, soft sigh, "I'm sorry if I'm keeping you from your duties. I shouldn't. But I am very grateful that you have come with me so far." She said to him, putting her hand on his arm briefly as she said it, but then realized what she was doing and she pulled it back. Oh but he was so sweet! And cute looking too! 

Right, the gardens! He pointed out the gardens for her, "I think I prefer seeing the gardens. I don't need to spend money." She said and went inside to take a look. The large courtyard was absolutely stunning and with a temple in the middle and everything. She stood for a moment, just taking it all in, not seeing that Davus looked towards her slave. Helia, the slave, sent Davus a small smile and a nod. But this time she stayed behind. She decided she better go and fetch Sosia's litter. This had gone far enough and she feared what Sosia's father would say, once he found out.

Sosia, however, walked inside, "It is stunning. Isn't it incredible? Now what to see first..." 

@Sharpie

• Like 1

He'd made a mistake suggesting the Porticus Liviae, hadn't he.  She would probably want to spend hours here, and her slave didn't know where she was (well, she did but the lady didn't know that!) and Davus had to get home at some point this afternoon if he wasn't going to get into trouble. He was probably cutting it fine as it was.

"The gardens are nice - you might want to come back with your friends to go shopping," he said, wondering just how he had ended up looking after a girl who must be the most naive young lady in the entire Empire. Nobody was going to believe him at home if he told the simple truth - he could see the steward's incredulous expression now!

And gods knew what the lady's father was going to say or do once he found out what had been going on, even though Davus had been extremely careful that nothing could happen to her.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Sosia was indeed quite sure that she could spend hours here. Maybe find a nice spot, spread out the palla and just sit down and enjoy the place and watching people. That would be nice. Preferably with a good friend, but she didn't have a lot of friends in Rome yet, so it would either be alone or maybe with Davus, if he would. If he didn't have to leave because he was needed by his own master. He commented that the gardens were nice and she could come back with her friends to go shopping. Her smile fell, but only a bit, as she looked back at him.

"I don't have so many friends in Rome yet. I hope to gain some though." She said and then her smile lit up again, "I met one today, after all." Since he'd agreed to be her friend. Where to go though? She wanted to explore the beautiful gardens. But she knew she was keeping Davus from his other duties. He wasn't her slave, after all.

"Can you stay here with me? Or do you need to go?" She wondered next, "I don't want you to get in trouble because of me." That's the last thing she wanted, after all! 

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"I can stay for a little bit," Davus allowed. "Though I think your maid will worry about you, going off with someone you've only just met."

And if her maid was going to be worried, he didn't want to think what Sosia's parents would think. He hoped he wouldn't find himself in trouble if her parents knew his master and told him about this excursion. He was very sure her parents wouldn't consider him a suitable friend for their daughter at all.

"I'm sure you'll make more friends soon," he assured her, returning her smile with a shy one of his own. She was a nice friendly girl, he couldn't see how she wouldn't make friends soon, though Rome probably felt rather daunting. Surely she had family to take her places and gatherings, though, a father or brother or someone?

@Atrice

• Like 1

Davus said he'd stay a little bit, but then he worried her slave would worry about her. That made her pause. She didn't want anyone to worry about her, but on the other hand, this was a nice little adventure and she hated that people always tried to hold her back. Not that she was a rebel or anything, she just wanted to explore Rome. With a new and nice friend.

"I'll return to her soon, I promise." She said, "I'm sure it'll be fine." She then reassured him, and maybe also herself. Davus was sweet, smiling shyly at her, saying she'd make more friends soon. He was so kind. Maybe they'd find a new place to sit and just look at the place and the people and enjoy life? She looked around and spied a spot not far away, where they could sit. He was her new friend, she wanted to get to know him better. 

"Come." She said to him and moved towards a marble bench, this one even had a back on it, so you'd sit more comfortably, "And tell me... if you could have anything in the world, what would you want?" 

@Sharpie

• Like 1

She didn't mean for him to sit on the same bench as her, did she? It was obvious to anyone that she was the daughter of some rich man, probably a senator, and it was equally obvious that Davus was a slave. She couldn't be so naive that she'd suggest a slave sit beside her?

It did look that way, but Davus wasn't a fool, and simply squatted comfortably at her feet, a position that would let them talk with one another but that wouldn't attract unwanted attention and censure.

"I... I don't know," he said, knowing that he probably couldn't tell her the one thing he did want, badly - to see his mother again. Admitting that would hurt Sosia, who likely didn't realise any of the realities of a slave's life, and he didn't want to hurt her. "I'd like to be free, I think, Domina. What about you, if you could have anything at all?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

She was a bit disappointed, when Davus sat down on the ground in front of her, instead of by her side on the bench. Didn't they agree to be friends? And he wasn't her slave, she didn't wish to consider him like that. He had been nothing but kind to her, so why should she not be kind to him? But he didn't join her and if he felt best about being where he was, she wouldn't order him to do something that made him feel uncomfortable. He probably wasn't used to people treating him this nicely. So she continued the conversation, wondering what he'd have, if he could have anything in the world. 

First he was a bit hesitant, but then he said he'd like to be free. And what did she want?

"I'm sorry I can't set you free. I hope your master will someday." She said softly, looking at him. It felt a bit strange that he sat down there, "And I don't know... a good husband, I guess? One who is nice?" That's what any young woman should wish to have, right? 

She thought she saw something behind Davus and looked up, seeing her slavegirl Helia approach her. She sighed. It was over. She had to go. She didn't really want to.

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"Maybe he will," Davus said, in reply to Sosia's thought that his master might free him one day. "I might be able to buy it, if he doesn't. He's... not bad."

There were far worse masters than Titus Sulpicius Rufus, after all. "I hope you get a nice husband, someone who'll be good to you."

He wondered what sort of person Horatia Sosia would consider to be 'nice' - hopefully someone who was a bit more practical than she was, but who wouldn't completely squash her thoughtfulness and caring nature. She seemed a very caring sort of girl, especially for someone of her class.

He turned to look over his should as she sighed. Her slavegirl was approaching.

"You should probably think about going home, Domina," he said quietly. "It's been very nice to meet you - I hope you get the chance to explore this place properly, maybe with some of your - other friends?"

He very nearly hadn't said 'other' but she had said she thought they were friends, and somehow didn't want to spoil that for her, even if patrician girls and slaves couldn't really be friends.

@Atrice

• Like 1

She couldn't save every slave in the world, she knew that, but she felt bad for Davus. He had a life once, elsewhere, and he missed it. And now he was stuck here as a slave and he couldn't just leave. Unless he was freed or managed to buy his own freedom. She wanted to give him money so he could do that. But then what about her own slaves? Helia for example? It wouldn't be fair that she helped one, but not another. She could only hope Davus would be free. He had wondered what she wanted then and she couldn't come up with anything better than a nice husband. But was that what she wanted? 

"I hope so too. I hope we will both get what we want." She replied softly and then she'd noticed Helia approaching her. She had asked her slave to stay behind, but apparently Helia had followed and she knew this had to end, no matter how little she wanted it to. It was nice to feel a little free, for once. Free? But she was more free than Davus. It wasn't fair to him or to Helia that she'd think like that. The world was not fair.

Davus noticed Helia too and said it had been nice to meet Sosia and he hoped she'd explore this place with some of her other friends. She looked at him with a small smile, "I don't have many friends here yet. But thanks Davus, for everything. It's been lovely spending time with you. I hope I will meet you again." She said and she wanted to hug him, but knew it would not be proper in such a public space. So she didn't. Instead she offered him a bright smile, "Goodbye, Davus." 

@Sharpie

The End

• Thanks 1