A head for business

Sharpie

Wulfric nodded as Teutus told him what he thought about their father. It made sense, according to what Wulfric knew so far. The night he met Teutus, at that dinner, their father had not told Teutus that Wulfric would be there. In fact, he hadn't even told Teutus about Wulfric. No wonder he hadn't been very happy about it. Sure it wasn't per se a bad thing to meet a new brother, but it was more the way it was done. So he was glad that Teutus was not like their father, he seemed like a very nice guy in fact, willing to talk to Wulfric and even more than his father, it would seem. Now he wondered if Teutus would tell him even more.

And he would! Although he seemed to think he wasn't that interesting and there wasn't much to tell. Wulfric listened and nodded at the right places, letting the words and explanations sink in.

"I see why you are good at business, when you have been secretary." He hadn't really known the word before, or the meaning of it, because that wasn't how things were done at home. But he knew it now, at least. He'd learned a lot in Rome. He looked at Teutus, feeling a bit bad for him though, "I am glad you are not slave now. It must be new feeling still, being free. Is it good?" 

@Sharpie

• Like 1

Was it good, to be free? What a silly question - except that the man asking it had obviously never not been free to know it was a silly question. Teutus nodded. It was good, to no longer be constrained by the whims of another (even if that other was his father), to not have to respond instantly to hearing his name.

"Yes," he said simply, unable to put his thoughts into words. "It is good, that I can do what I want, what seems good to me to do, without having to ask for permission to do it. All this is mine, and it is good to know that."

There were slaves who did similar things to Teutus in trading goods, but they did it for their masters and had no share in the profits. Teutus did it for himself and had built (and was still building) something he owned and was proud of.

He poured them both another cup of wine. "So, you are from Germania. It's a long way to come. What did you hope to find, here in Rome?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Teutus nodded, naturally, and Wulfric realized he should not have asked. He didn't mean to offend his brother, but some people might actually enjoy being slaves and didn't know what to do, if they were free to do as they pleased. Within the law, of course. But Teutus was not like that, he enjoyed doing what he wanted without having to ask for permission. And he had this business now. Wulfric nodded.

"I can imagine it must be good. We have slaves also, but they are not... I hear Roman people punish slaves bad. I think it is different where I am from." He commented, he'd heard about cruel slave masters in Rome and he even had the feeling his father might be one of them. Sure slaves misbehaved sometimes, but they weren't mistreated like that. Whipped for days or having their tongues cut out. It was cruel. Rome was cruel, sometimes. They had other traditions with the slaves, that the Romans might find barbaric though, but such was life. Different lands, different traditions.

His brother poured more wine for them and wondered why Wulfric was in Rome. As if he hadn't heard that question asked before.

"Two things. I hope to learn about Rome, so I can tell at home. Most people, never been here. Also, I hope to find family. I wanted meeting my father, but I think he is not family. Not like my mother." He said, hoping the meaning was clear. His father didn't want Wulfric to be a part of his family, "But I have other family. A sister, a little brother. And you. You are family." 

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"Rome is... an old city with a great many vices and problems and probably isn't the best example of what it means to live like a Roman," Teutus said, aware of the irony in his words - the Romans in Rome weren't the best version of the Romans in the Roman Empire.

"My father is... a complicated man. His time in Germania changed him, I think - though I was very young when he went and don't really remember what he was like back then. But a lot of things happened and... he wants to be in control of everything around him, the people and what they do, what they want. You being here... it shows him that he's not in control and he doesn't like that. Or when things are too difficult, or when he thinks there's something under the surface that people aren't telling him."

It wasn't personal but the personal dislike (or whatever it was that Tertius had shown) was a symptom. A symptom that had hurt, he thought. Wulfric was a wide-eyed young man looking for the best in people - it would be so easy for the more streetwise people in Rome to take advantage of that. And Tertius was so used to looking for ulterior motives in people that when presented with someone who appeared not to have an ulterior motive at all, it confused him.

"The sister and the other brother are both under Tertius' control, I think you should not think of them as family either," he said gently. Peregrinus was going to grow up a Roman patrician and follow the political and military career path that was the cursus honorum, the course of honours, and Antonia would eventually marry, probably a Senator, and have children of her own - it was how the world worked, here.

"Rome is not the Empire, though it is the heart of it. There's far more to see, if you want to see it."

@Atrice

• Like 1

He listened intently to what Teutus told him, all while sipping the wine he had been offered. Teutus told him about Rome, and about their father, who wanted to be in control. That’s what Charis had said too, and he continued along the same line as she. That Wulfric made Tertius seem like he was not in control. Wulfric thought of an idea then, that he should speak to his father and make him seem like he was in control of the situation. Maybe then, he’d be more welcoming. But wouldn’t that be lying? Wulfric wasn’t sure that was the relationship he wanted with his father, if he was to have one.

No, better just stick to the old plan he had, the plan that had been stirring since he met Peregrinus for the first time. And honestly it was better with waiting until next spring with travelling, because Peregrinus would be older then. Maybe that would make it easier. The question still was whether to also take Peregrinus’ mother or what. Teutus’ next words didn’t change anything regarding Wulfric’s half plan of removing his little brother from Rome. In fact it only strengthened it.

“I think, when I leave Rome, I will go home.” He replied, “But I will stay one more winter. I will not travel in winter, roads are bad. Maybe then, we know each other better. I have one brother, who is family?” He asked, tilting his head a bit, looking at Teutus, hoping that at least he’d accept that offer. Of thinking of Wulfric as his actual brother.

@Sharpie

• Like 1

Teutus didn't know when he'd grown so cynical about his own life and his relationship with his father, but sitting across from a brother (half-brother but who was counting?) whose expression was guileless and so utterly uncynical, he felt suddenly like some of those grumpy old men muttering to one another,  "Children in my day wouldn't have dreamed of doing..." whatever innocent pastime had brought censure this time.

"I wish you'd had better luck than you found here," he said. And better relations than my family, he added mentally although he didn't say the words out loud.

He believe Wulfric when he said he hadn't been looking for any money or anything - he had noted the quality of his clothing at that disastrous dinner, even though the fit and form was not Roman in the least. He had behaved impeccably - if anything, it was Tertius who seemed the barbarian in comparison. A thought he was not going to share with his father or anyone else.

"I am a little surprised you'd still want that." He gave a half-shrug. "But yes - it would be nice to have a relation I can get on with." One who didn't seem to be silently judging everyone and everything around him to impossible standards.

"I would like you to meet my mother some time, I think, while you're still in Rome," he added, though it remained to be seen quite how his mother would feel about meeting the son produced from a relationship Tertius had had while she still carried a torch for him and hoped that he would come home to free and her son. "I will need to tell her about you first, though - maybe the day after tomorrow? Let me know where to find you and I can give you a proper invitation."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Wulfric too wished he’d had better luck in Rome. But he did do what he came here for, didn’t he? He did find his family. He did experience Rome. And he would do so for one more winter, then travel back home next spring. His family here wasn’t what he expected, but it would do him no good to focus too much on that. Better focus on the good he did find, like Teutus and Peregrinus. He only wished he’d properly met his half-sister Antonia too, but he had not had the chance.

He pointed out that he did find one brother, looking at Teutus, who said he was surprised to learn Wulfric still wanted the relation.

“Why I would not want that? You are friendly, good man.” He replied with a smile, and then Teutus said he also wanted Wulfric to meet his mother. Of course he’d like that! But Teutus would tell her about Wulfric first and then he would send an invitation.

“I live in small room, insula, in Subura Absidata. Where do you live?” Wulfric said, hopefully Teutus would know more about how to find people in Rome. It was a kind of labyrinth, finding out how to get from one part of Rome to another and even more to find out where people lived and were to be found. That’s also why it took a while to find his father’s house and Teutus’ warehouse.

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"I live in an insula on the Esquiline," Teutus said. "That same hill as my father's house... you know the street his house it on. On that street, before you get as far as his house, look for a fountain with a dolphin. The stairs to my apartment are between a basket-weaver's and a shoe-maker's shop. Or ask anyone around there, they'll point you in the right direction."

He shook his head. The Subura... well, there were worse places to live, but only marginally worse. Crammed in between the river and the Capitoline was worse, but the Subura wasn't what Teutus would call good. But then, every Roman thought their own particular area of Rome was the best.

"At least you'll have stories to tell at home, about visiting the greatest city on earth," he said. "Have you gone to the chariot races or the theatre yet - the theatre doesn't cost much and the races are free." panem et circenses, the way to please the masses, ensured that, at least, although Wulfric wouldn't be entitled to claim anything from the corn dole, not being a citizen.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Wulfric paid attention to Teutus' description of how to find his home. He supposed it should not be surprising, that Teutus didn't live in a house like Tertius did, but it did surprise him a little. Teutus was a free man and had left his father's house to start on his own and surely, he did not lack coin? Once Wulfric found himself a woman to call his wife, he would also build and live in his own house at home. At least that was what he always imagined. For now, he still lived with his mother in the house they'd shared with his step-father and his siblings. They already had the house, after all. No one would ask them to move out and back with his grandfather - that was not how things were done back home. It was different here. Many things were.

Teutus mused about how he'd have stories to tell at home about Rome and Wulfric nodded with a smile, yes, he had many stories already and if he'd stay another winter, he would have even more! Then Teutus wondered if Wulfric had seen any of the entertainment they had in Rome.

"No, I have not yet, but I hear talk. I seen... theatre on street? It was... different. We do not have at home." He said with a little smile, they had storytellers and bards, but theatre was something he'd never seen in the North before, "You think it fun? Theatre and races?"

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"Street theatre, yes - they usually do satirical stuff. You might need to know what the big news stories are to understand some of the characters and things," Teutus said. "If you prefer actual plays - either more serious things or comedy - there are several theatres out on the Campus Martius on the other side of the Capitoline from here if you want to see a play, and as I said, it doesn't cost much for a ticket."

There were so many things to see and explore in Rome; Teutus had lived here all his life (well, he'd accompanied his father to his country villa for the summer months, but that wasn't home) and he didn't think he'd seen half of what there was to see.

"The theatre is fun. The races are... exciting. You must have horse races or something like them at home? It's chariot races here - there are four teams and they race together, chariots drawn by four horses. It's very popular."

Probably more popular than the gladiator games which his father preferred.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Wulfric didn't know much about theatre or actual plays. He knew what he'd heard and what he'd seen in the streets of Rome, but that was clearly not what Teutus meant. He spoke of serious things or comedy. Comedy did sound like fun, he thought. He nodded as he paid attention to everything Teutus told him, "Maybe I will take a look, see if I like theatre." Wulfric replied. Teutus did like the theatre for fun and the races for being exciting. It sounded so extraordinary to Wulfric though. Sure he heard about the races too, but he also heard they were dangerous and that it was often slaves who drove the chariots. And slaves who died. It could be foreign slaves. From the Germanic region. 

"At home, only wealthy people have horses. It is sign of wealth. Like ivory." He explained, trying to find a way to explain it so that Teutus would understand, "And we do not use horses for races. But for battle, war. And travel." He then added. It must sound very foreign to Teutus. Just like everything Teutus told Wulfric sounded foreign, even if he'd been here almost a year now.

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"Generals ride horses to battle," Teutus allowed. "But horses are expensive to keep, and the city isn't a good place for them anyway - they need exercising and more room than people do."

It made sense that people in the country were more likely to have horses, though they were going to be a symbol of status pretty much everywhere, unless you happened to live in a place where everyone had horses because that was the kind of country you lived in. Which was a completely foreign sort of place to a city-born person like Teutus.

"I suppose you must find everything here strange, so I would find everything equally strange if I were to visit Germania," he said, though he couldn't imagine wanting to visit Germania. It was too far away, too cold and probably too barbaric.

@Atrice - so sorry on the delay!!

• Like 1

He nodded when Teutus explained how it was with horses here, besides those used for races of course, "It is same then. Except for races." He said with a smile, glad to have found a thing they had in common. Or, it was more Rome that had it in common with his own people, but still. In this case, it was Teutus the Roman versus Wulfric the Chatti and apparently everywhere, the wealthy and the leaders rode the horses into battle. And used them to show off wealth. 

Teutus commented that Rome must seem strange to Wulfric, but Germania would seem strange to him.

"I don't think strange, more... just... different? I like some things here. I will miss baths." He said, smiling, "And you will think Germania is wet, also... not civilized. This is what Roman people near Germania say. They don't like." So why they wanted to conquer it was beyond him, but it was probably just because they wanted to expand the empire, nothing more. They had crops up there, but there were far better conditions down here for things like barley and wheat. And the amber from the oceans didn't show up in vast amounts either. But he felt that he was talking ill of his own lands then, because honestly, it was not so bad, "It is more green, Germania. Also beautiful, also in winter. Have you seen snow?" He had not seen snow since he came to Rome and it didn't seem cold enough for it, not even in the winter. Maybe it never snowed here.

@Sharpie

"I've heard about snow but it doesn't get cold enough in Rome for it - you have to go to the mountains for that, all the way north, before you get to Transalpine Gaul." He wasn't even sure if the Apennines were high enough for snow but it wasn't as though he'd seen those, either.

He shrugged. "You've gone further from home than I have, really. I've been here in Rome, and down the river to Ostia, and to my father's villa in the country. And that's about it. I was thinking about visiting Hispania one day, though."

That idea was mainly because he'd dreamed of getting away from his father and all the discordant relationships in his father's house, and all the complications those relationships produced. It would be nice to be somewhere where things were nice and simple and people didn't expect you to do something and then get all upset and annoyed because you hadn't done that one thing, which you weren't even aware they'd expected you to do.

"Italia is very beautiful in its own way, but I think it's probably very different to Germania," he added, and poured another cup of wine for them both.

@Atrice - so sorry on the delay!

• Like 1

Wulfric nodded, when Teutus spoke of how long away you had to go from Rome, to experience snow, "Yes, there are mountains in North. I saw, when I travel here. I think, there was snow on top." He recalled the white peaks he'd seen in the distance. The roads didn't go that high though, but it was still a bit difficult. But he managed and he had travelled during spring and summer, so the weather was fine.

His brother said he had never been that far from home, but he would like to visit Hispania one day, "Hispania is in other direction, I think? Also warm, I hear." Like Rome and Italia, it was warm, or so he heard. But he had no reason to go there. He had to go home instead. His father was the only reason he came to Rome and sadly, the trip had not been very good in that department. At least his brother was friendly enough. He spoke of how different their homelands were.

"It is very different, yes. But, not always bad. If you come to Germania, I will show you how nice it is." He said with a smile. He wondered what his family would say, if his half-brother from Rome came to visit. It would be interesting, no doubt about that. But that was up for Teutus to consider, whether he would one day visit or not. For now though, he felt they were having a nice time, but he was also keeping Teutus from his duties... "I think, I must go soon. Maybe, you will have drink in popina one day, with me?" 

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"Hispania lies to the west - it's easiest to travel by sea to reach it, I think," Teutus said. Easier, and quicker, and therefore cheaper, for both goods and people.

"I would like that, I think - though I will make sure to travel in summer. I don't think I would do very well in the cold of winter." And of course winter travelling was extremely arduous and hazardous for all concerned. "And yes, I would like that, too. And of course if there is anything I can do for you, you only have to say."

He was sorry that Wulfric had not had a better reception from Tertius, although knowing his father as he did, he knew why Wulfric had found it hard there. It didn't help that he was a barbarian in Roman eyes as well, of course, although the fact that he was a barbarian had meant that he was not a rival to Teutus for their father's favour as Peregrinus was.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Wulfric smiled when Teutus thought he'd prefer Germania in the summer, because he would not do well in the winter, "You must wear enough clothes. Silk and cotton, not good when cold." He said. That's why they liked wool in the North, and sheep skin and other things like it, to stay warm. But they were moving on, as Wulfric thought he should be leaving, but of course not without inviting Teutus for a drink some other time. And Teutus seemed to like that idea.

"Then it is what we will. I will send word." Wulfric promised and stood, giving his half-brother another smile, "I am glad, that I found little family in Rome." At least one family member, who would speak to him and see him again. Teutus had even said he wanted Wulfric to meet his mother. At least this meant his trip to Rome hadn't been a total disaster.

@Sharpie

• Thanks 1