The teasing had hit its mark, Lucius could tell Ovinia was angry at him. It was amusing. He was sure she would find a way later to get back at him, possibly through his brother. Bring it on. For now, they had a party to enjoy.

“If I told, it wouldn’t be a surprise, would it? But I can promise it’ll be interesting. I hope you like theatre.” 

Lucius arched an eyebrow at his friend. A play? He wondered what kind. Was it going to be intellectual entertainment, or a whole lot of breasts? Likely the latter. Maybe both. But the imperials had enough money to hire people who did it well.

“I actually thought about going to see if they were ready. Maybe one of you would join me?” 

"Sure" Lucius nodded, following along. Tiberius and Sosia stayed behind, no doubt to talk to each other. Lucius idly wondered if the imperial liked the shy girl. They walked through the gardens, towards the place where the stage was set. As they approached, he spied the slender figure and blonde hair of someone who new very well. He greeted Vibia with a smile and a nod. "You were right about quality entertainment, my friend." he smirked at Silanus.

@Sara @Atrice @Sarah @Eris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

She hadn’t guessed Tiberius might stay behind with her, he seemed to know the blonde Marcus well and clearly, Marcus helped plan the party. There was constant playfulness in his eyes and she didn’t know what to expect with him. Lucius seemed more occupied with Ovinia. She might drift off to somewhere else and just watch the party. Or explore the palace. She’d sighed softly and picked a date to eat and just as she was chewing it and the others were leaving, Tiberius approached her and began talking.

He had such a friendly smile. And eyes. And he was so close to her, again. Just like when he wrapped the palla around her shoulders at the temple. 

“Thank you.” She said as she’d finished chewing, “I’m glad I came too. I only met Ovinia before, on my way to Rome. And then you.” She added, looking up at him with a smile, “I’m afraid I’m not so used to such social events. Parties. How do you…” She trailed off, trying to find the right words, “I mean… you seem so much at ease with everyone. I don’t know how you do it.” But it was so kind of him to stay and talk with her, when there were so many other people here to mingle with, who were surely far more interesting than she.

@Sarah and the other party people

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 2

Ovinia didn't particularly want to be alone with Lucius and Marcus; both irritating men in their own way but even a blind man could see that something was running in the undercurrent between sweet, naive Sosia and the Imperial. It flared her jealousy again, but she wasn't such a bitter sort that she'd linger around to try and ruin it for either of them. Much as part of her was tempted to. 

Instead she followed the men as they weaved through the crowds to a small stage that was set up. A group of actors were lingering around, dressed garishly with enough cosmetic to cover an elephant on their faces. Her eyes lit up though, at a blonde with a cithara leant against her leg. She'd always wanted to learn, but her father thought it too expensive and unbecoming. She barely hid her glee. "You've hired professional musicians?" She asked Marcus, following up Lucius' question and taking it a face-value - not understanding his double meaning. "Are they good?" 

TAG: @Atrice @Chevi

• Haha 1

As he’d more or less guessed, Horatia Sosia stayed behind and Tiberius chose to linger with her. He sent a smile and an arched brow to his old friend, before he was joined by both Lucius and Ovinia to approach the small stage and the actors. And the… what to call her? Cithara-player? Well she was more than that, but that wasn’t why she was here tonight. He knew her, he’d seen her, but he hadn’t been able to talk much with her yet. It was brief, when he offered the job for the party. Some here would know her, he assumed, others would not, but be was kind of proud of himself that he managed to get her here. She was famous! Well, in certain circles. He could never afford her for himself, thanks to his brother, but one could always hope, right?

He glanced at Lucius when he commented on the quality entertainment, as the three of them approached the alluring Vibia. She had tried to make herself appear proper, he thought. But anyone who knew better, well… they’d know better!

“Right?” He said with a grin, wondering how well Lucius knew her. Quality entertainment? Which kind of entertainment did he experience with Vibia before? Marcus could only smile when Ovinia looked at Vibia, clearly not knowing who she was.

“They’re very good. I made sure to only get the best of the best to entertain us. Like Vibia here.” He said, nodding at her with a smile, “I am very glad you were able to come. Let me introduce you to my friends, Ovinia Camilla and Lucius Vipsanius Roscius. You’re familiar with her, Lucius?” He said, looking at Lucius, very curious about hearing this tale, but it might be better to save it for when Ovinia was not here. If it was as he guessed. And it might be. This was turning into a quite interesting evening!

@Sara @Chevi

• Haha 2

Vibia pretended not to hear their conversation until the little trio was stood right in front of her. She gave the girl an appraising once-over (nothing special, slim, young, dark-eyed brunettes were ten a penny in Rome) and then flashed a wide grin at Lucius and Marcus in turn. 

"A pleasure, domina, dominus." She inclined her head at Ovinia and then Marcus. "And we've met; yours isn't the only party my talents have been employed at, sweet Marcus." Although she seemed to recall the tall, tree-climbing Lucius had been less than complimentary about such events. Yet here he was. Maybe he was a hypocrite, not that she really cared. 

"Do you have any requests?" She lazily dragged her fingers across the strings of her instrument, letting a melodic chord fill the air. "I'm good at accommodating most things." 

TAG: @Chevi @Atrice

• Haha 2

"You've hired professional musicians? Are they good?" 

Lucius tried to hide a snort in his wine cup. Bless Ovinia, so snobbish, and yet so innocent. Not that she would have had much of a chance to recognize hetaeras who were usually hired for... different kinds of parties. Silanus, you dog.

To their benefit, neither Vibia nor Silanus gave any of that away. This was a decent party, after all. And Vibia was dressed for the part.

“They’re very good. I made sure to only get the best of the best to entertain us. Like Vibia here. I am very glad you were able to come. Let me introduce you to my friends, Ovinia Camilla and Lucius Vipsanius Roscius. You’re familiar with her, Lucius?”

"A pleasure, domina, dominus. And we've met; yours isn't the only party my talents have been employed at, sweet Marcus." 

"Vibia is the life of the party wherever she goes." Lucius noted gallantly. It was technically true. He most definitely did feel more alive whenever he was in her company. Not that he was wealthy enough to have afforded her company more than once or twice since that party.

"Do you have any requests? I'm good at accommodating most things." 

Lucius looked at Ovinia, making a polite gesture. She was the music expert, after all. "Go ahead." He stepped back, allowing space for the music and the singing, and leaned over tho murmur to Silanus behind his cup. "She must have cost a fortune."

@Atrice @Sara

Edited by Chevi
  • Haha 2

Ovinia's face was a picture of surprise as Silanus insinuated, and then the blonde confirmed, she knew Lucius. She'd been at most - if not all - of the social events of the year and hadn't spotted her. Was there a party she wasn't invited to? She seethed a little, internally and tried not to let it show on her face. Especially given the way the young woman sized her up. She was beautiful - in a striking, unconventional sort of way with her blonde hair and moonlight-pale skin. Exotic-looking in a way that the brunette, brown-eyed Ovinia would never be. 

As Lucius deferred to her, she offered a tight smile at the musician. "Do you know anything by Opiter Papinius?" She queried, somewhat self-consciously. "He's fairly recent, from Greece but he does compositions in quite a different way-" She was cut off by the blonde grinning a feline smile that made Ovinia swallow. "Of course, domina. You might wish to stand back, this one gets people dancing." The woman jerked her head to the troupe of actors and dancers behind her and then started up a lively tune on the cithara, which was rapidly accompanied by somebody using something as some sort of drums. Ovinia blinked, she was really very talented. 

She leaned across to join in Marcus and Lucius' whispers: "She's so talented..." Her voice was almost wistful. "Where did you find her?" 

TAG: @Atrice @Chevi

• Haha 2

Oh she was very pretty, Marcus thought. One day! But that was not tonight, because tonight Vibia  had a different purpose and she greeted them all politely. He smirked when Vibia said this wasn’t the only party she was employed to. Marcus noticed Lucius avoiding a laugh, oh he definitely knew her. How well? That was the question. And Ovinia, who didn’t know about Vibia at all, just looked surprised. Meanwhile Marcus supposed that his own internal question was answered promptly by Lucius, as he confirmed she was the life of a party. And lively too, he imagined with a smile.

“I’m sure she is, I heard only the best. I thought it would be interesting to have her here. I’m sure you won’t disappoint us, right?” He said to Vibia, while wondering if Tiberius knew who she was, maybe he didn’t, he lived a much more sheltered life than Marcus did. He had family and duties, after all. Marcus’ current most important duty had been to plan this party and he thought he’d done quite well.

Vibia would know if they had any requests for the music and Lucius left that decision to Ovinia, while quietly commenting on Vibia to Marcus. Marcus leaned towards Lucius to answer.

“Oh she did, she’s not exactly cheap.” He chuckled, then continued, “Tiberius gave me pretty free reigns though, so I thought… why not?” It wasn’t his money, after all. Meanwhile Ovinia requested music and Vibia knew what she was talking about. Oh something that got people dancing! Marcus did like the sound of that. He looked towards the dancers and sipped his drink to hide another grin, when Ovinia would know where to find her.

“Isn't she? But I'm afraid, finding her is my secret to keep.” He then said, well it was his secret, and Lucius' secret and probably a few other guests here too. But it was probably best that Ovinia did not know which house he contacted to get Vibia here, “I’m glad you like the entertainment so far. Do you play any instruments? Or sing, perhaps…” Since there had already been talk of that with Lucius, why not suggest Ovinia would sing too? He had no doubt it would be interesting, no matter what she said.

@Sara @Chevi

• Haha 2

Ovinia frowned, glancing between Marcus and Lucius as the music swelled and people joined in with singing. The musician was clearly in her element, lapping up the praise. She was a performer through and through - with an innate sort of ability to get the crowd on side. Ovinia supposed her looks helped with that. 

"Why?" Ovinia queried with another glance at  the woman. "Surely you can tell me? My brother is hosting a party in a few months, his wedding anniversary." She rolled her eyes, "He'd pay you handsomely I'm sure for an introduction to her." Poor, poor Ovinia had no conception of what she was even implying. 

At Marcus' question, she felt the heat rise to her cheeks and she took another hefty swig of wine. She ground down on her teeth as she swallowed, and was hopeful as the blonde - finished with that particular song, took a breather and joined in their conversation. She was mortified, however, at her request; "You sing? Why don't you get up here and join me?" The woman flashed a smile that turned Ovinia's stomach and she vehemently shook her head. "No." She stuttered out. "I don't play any instruments, and I only sing in private.Her words were cold and she shot Lucius a glare that would have been inappropriate if she wasn't almost two cups of wine deep. "Lucius likes to make me feel uncomfortable, joking at my expense. He found out I enjoyed music, that's all." She shook her head, "He has a childish sense of humour. But you two must surely sing?" She turned back to the men with a smirk. "Why don't you both join in with our musician?" 

She'd, perhaps, gone too far - openly chiding Lucius in a public setting but she felt...humiliated, and when she was embarrassed...well...she got prickly. 

• Haha 3

It was interesting, talking to Sosia. Tiberius valued people who could give him a different perspective on situations. He supposed that having an idyllic childhood in the countryside might leave one ill-prepared for the experiences of the city, and of Senatorial life. Was it an injustice to her, that she'd not experienced such things, or was it providing a pleasant and carefree existance, until she became someone's wife? He wasn't certain that he knew the answer, but he did know that he wanted to help her transition into Rome's high society.

She asked how he was able to be - or at least seem - so at ease with everyone, and the young Imperial paused for a moment introspectively. It would be so easy to offer some light-hearted, even flippant response, but he found he didn't want to. "I suppose I have been trained for it." He answered honestly, with a slight shrug. "Members of the Imperial family are expected to be much in the public eye." And that was the truth of it. His whole young life - where it hadn't been interrupted by insurgencies and slaughter - had been geared towards him taking his place amongst those who guided and directed the Empire. "Sometimes I think it would have been nice to grow up in the countryside, away from all the politics." He said with a slight smile.

Certainly more of his family might be alive if they'd simply been provincial patricians. But that was not the path the Gods had laid before them. "Is there anything that would help you feel more at ease?" He asked solicitously.

@Atrice and party peeps.

• Like 1

“Tiberius gave me pretty free reigns though, so I thought… why not?"

Silanus had really gone all-out on the entertainment. Lucius had attended parties before where the Venus was invited too, but never quite as fancy as this imperial shindig. Vibia was probably making a fortune. And no doubt netting some more clients. She sang and played music with elegance and skill, and people started dancing. Now it felt like a party. Even Ovinia seemed to be having fun.

"She's so talented... Where did you find her?" 

Lucius gave Silanus a neutral look, wondering what he was going to answer.

“Isn't she? But I'm afraid, finding her is my secret to keep.” 

"Why? Surely you can tell me? My brother is hosting a party in a few months, his wedding anniversary. He'd pay you handsomely I'm sure for an introduction to her." 

"Oh I am sure he would." Lucius hid a smirk in his cup again. Bless Ovinia, for all the spark and the stubbornness, she really was innocent sometimes. But he already had done a lot to piss her off, so Silanus could take this one. Which he did, by changing the topic. To something not any less unfortunate.

“I’m glad you like the entertainment so far. Do you play any instruments? Or sing, perhaps…” 

"You sing? Why don't you get up here and join me?"  

"No. I don't play any instruments, and I only sing in private. Lucius likes to make me feel uncomfortable, joking at my expense. He found out I enjoyed music, that's all. He has a childish sense of humour. But you two must surely sing? Why don't you both join in with our musician?" 

The glare Ovinia gave him would have killed a bird mid-flight. Lucius clamped his mouth shut. They had circled back to where it had all began, the whole topic of singing in public for entertainment. Because decent women didn't do that. And Vibia sang in public, so... was Ovinia eventually going to put two and two together?

"Oh, I am happy to." he grinned instead. He liked singing and had no qualms about getting the party started. "I'll follow your lead, Vibia. And I am sure Marcus will too, since it is his duty to keep us all entertained tonight" he grinned at his friend. Ovinia might have been off limits, but he was free to poke fun at Silanus.

@Atrice @Sara

• Haha 2

She was indeed ill-prepared for what went on in Rome. She had been here before, but only briefly and those times she barely left the domus. Now it was different, now she had to live here and join the social life of young people in Rome. Young people of high ranks, of course. She wasn’t going to mingle so much with the slaves as she was used to. Now she had to be a proper lady and she didn’t feel so comfortable. But Tiberius made her relax and she wondered how he did it all with such ease. She could do nothing but admire him.

He said he’d been trained for it and members of his family were expected to be in the public eye. So she supposed he had no choice really. He had to be good at it. Then he said he’d like to have grown up in the countryside too and that made her smile, “I think you would like it there. Sometimes I even feel the air is fresher too. And some people think the country is boring, but there’s so much to do.” She said, happy to speak of how her life used to be. And then of course he wondered how she’d feel more at ease.

She sipped her drink, “Maybe… exploring the palace? Would you show me around? Or do you have to be here all the time?” Maybe he did, maybe they couldn’t leave. Was it even proper, to be alone with him? Her heart pounded in her chest just by the thought of it! And her father and her brother, they weren’t here to tell her what she could and could not do. She felt the heat rise in her cheeks and sipped the drink again.

@Sarah

• Like 1

Marcus was pretty pleased with himself – that Lucius also thought it interesting that Vibia was here, made him believe it had really been a good choice. Sure, her other line of work was perhaps a bit too improper for a party like this, with both young and unmarried women (and men), but that wasn’t what she was here for. Not in the first round anyway. Ovinia was curious about where to find her and didn’t give up, when Marcus tried to say it was a secret how to find her.

He smiled knowingly at Lucius after Ovinia’s insistence on finding out about Vibia, but then looked to Ovinia again, “Well, then I should perhaps meet with your brother and discuss it with him, in private? I really think that would be the best option.” Well if he couldn’t gain his own coin any other way, maybe helping Vibia gain new clients was a way to go? Marcus had few moral qualms at this point in his life. He just wanted to get on with it, after all! And he was sure Ovinia’s brother would enjoy meeting Vibia… although he doubted the brother would invite Vibia to his wedding anniversary. That probably wouldn't sit well with the wife. 

He tried to change the subject then, suggesting Ovinia should sing and Vibia easily caught onto that game, but sadly… Ovinia did not. She would only sing in private? How loudly? Right, that wasn’t what they were talking about. Marcus caught a fresh cup of wine from a tray and downed a gulp while Ovinia spoke of how Lucius wanted to make her feel uncomfortable. The look she gave Lucius… was interesting. But it was over quickly and then of course she suggested Lucius and Marcus should sing with Vibia. Lucius agreed, but wanted Marcus to join too. 

“I’m not sure you would consider my singing entertainment.” He said with a laugh, “But if you insist. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.” He added with an amused wink, the grin still wide on his face. This was his party, or, he planned it… and he wasn’t shy, “Vibia, can you play a tune we all would know?”

@Sara@Chevi

• Haha 2

Ovinia frowned, not understanding Marcus' meaning but she felt foolish enough already that she chose not to press it - instead giving a tight, polite smile which lasted right up until both men agreed to start singing. She blinked, mildly horrified. She'd been joking, seeing how far she could push it and hadn't expected either of them to rise to the challenge. She had to hand some measure of respect to both of them, grudging though it might be. 

The blonde musician gave a melodic, irritating little laugh and tossed her white-blonde hair over her shoulder. "How about some Sappho? Everybody knows the words, and the melody is easy." her grin seemed almost...heated and Ovinia downed another gulp of her wine as Vibia gestured for both men to stand next to her. She'd sung Sappho in the gardens. Gods give me strength. 

Mercifully it wasn't the same poem she'd sung, but the sight of the two men and Vibia nonetheless made her stomach turn as the blonde started plucking her cithara and her smooth voice rang out over the gardens. Ovinia watched it, trying to look dispassionate and then between Lucius and Marcus. Her eyes settled on the later and she frowned, still playing over in her mind. Meet her brother in private? To discuss a musician? Ovinia wrinkled her nose, irritated beyond belief that she didn't understand. Her eyes fell to the musician again, trying  to draw some inspiration from her. What on earth did Marcus mean? And the smirks and shifty glances the two young men had shot the blonde? Ovinia frowned, trying to figure it out, ignoring the singing. 

When it did dawn on her, it made her choke and it was only the God's intervention that let her keep hold of her wine cup. One of her hands shot out to drag Lucius and then Marcus in turn away from Vibia, her voice was furious and also...embarrassed; "She's...she's a prostitute?!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Marcus grabbed a second cup of wine, and so did Lucius. They were going to sing, for better or worse. At least they had Vibia to follow. Ovinia looked like she was about to faint. Or kill someone. Possibly him.

“I’m not sure you would consider my singing entertainment. But if you insist. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Vibia, can you play a tune we all would know?”

"How about some Sappho? Everybody knows the words, and the melody is easy." 

Lucius managed to hide another snort in his cup. Of course. Sappho. It was well known, and easy to sing, and none of that had anything to do with his amusement. Rather, he remembered that if Ovinia hated the topic of singing before, she was surely going to go out of her mind now.

They started singing. Marcus' voice was actually not half bad. They all knew the song, and some of the actors joined in too. It was an all-around good time, until Ovinia choked on her wine. Her face spoke volumes. There it is.

Lucius found himself dragged away from Vibia, but at least Marcus was along for the ride too. For a moment, he seriously thought Ovinia was going to grab them both by the ear.

"She's...she's a prostitute?!" 

"Well... she's an entertainer of many qualities." Lucius noted sheepishly. "More of a hetaera, really." He added, quirking an eyebrow at Marcus. This was his mess to clean up.

@Atrice @Sara

• Haha 2

Marcus had arranged this party and was here to have a good time. That was the main thing tonight. To give everyone a good time. So he didn’t know why Ovinia seemed so upset with him, both with his comments about Vibia, which were really fine and said nothing at all… and then she also blinked when both Lucius and Marcus agreed to sing, after she suggested it. Why not? It was fun, that’s all Marcus wanted after all.

Alluring Vibia came up with an idea for a song and began the melody. Soon enough, Lucius and Marcus joined in. He didn’t know if he had a good singing voice. He never sang, not unless he was half-drunk in a popina somewhere and those songs weren’t exactly proper for a place like this. No matter, the point was to have and to be entertaining.

Suddenly though, everything changed. Ovinia had been listening, just standing there, suddenly she now seemed to choke on her wine and she dragged both Lucius and Marcus away from Vibia. Oh, so she figured it out, all on her own. Well… sometimes you had to improvise and now was one of those moments! While Lucius answered, Marcus was thinking, but he didn’t have a lot of time. Lucius was looking at him. He had a strange look on his face, like a puppy that was caught doing something bad. Well, Marcus knew better than that. He had to make amends.

“Lucius is right, really… she has many talents and she is not here for that. This is not an…” He paused, unsure if Ovinia even knew what an orgy was, “Anyway, you did say yourself that she played her instrument well.” Did she say that? She said something like that, at least, didn’t she? Marcus thought he recalled that. It was a cup of wine or two ago.

Marcus pulled Ovinia closer to him, “But, as I said, she is not here as or for that, not tonight. She is here to entertain us all as a musician, which she’s really good at, I think!” He said, giving Vibia a smile, because she did play the cithara well and he was well entertained indeed. A woman like Vibia could do more than just spread her legs. Else she’d not be so pricey!

“So… I hope you will treat her with the respect she should have, for the price we paid to get her here tonight.” He halfway thought of threatening Ovinia to accept it. He had Tiberius’ ear, he could claim she’d never be invited to a party here again, if she kept quiet about Vibia’s other work. But he kept that for later, should he need it. For now, he grabbed another cup of wine and handed it to Ovinia, “I think you need a new one of these.”

@Sara @Chevi

• Haha 1

Ovinia was fuming. She was fuming at herself that she hadn't worked it out sooner and missed the men's smirks and the way others at the party practically salivated over the woman, and she was fuming that they had the gall to bring a prostitute to a party frequented by unmarried young women. Was Marcus out of his mind? It was surely the only logical explanation. As Lucius made a weak attempt to explain, she shot him a look that could have rivalled Medusa's and turned him into stone. She wished he was made of stone. "Don't even..." She seethed, trying to keep her voice low and out of earshot of both the woman and the other guests. 

She heard Marcus begin a similarly poor explanation, and she passed an irritated huff because she had complimented her musical ability. About to protest, she felt a hand around her arm pulling her closer and she blinked in shock. She listened to Marcus' lecture - because that was what it was - at first with an angry glint in her eyes and a mouth so down turned if the wind changed and she was stuck like it, she'd never find a husband. But Ovinia was many things, and chief amongst them was that she was - despite Lucius and Marcus' attempts otherwise - good at following orders. She lived her life very much in the confines of the role she'd been allotted by the Gods, which was that of the deferential young woman. The spark she had was very rarely glimpsed and as Marcus insisted that she treat her with the respect she should have, Ovinia felt herself close off. It was a similar speech to one she imagined her father or brothers might give her, despite the fact that they were very clearly in the wrong. For a moment she saw Marcus twenty years in the future saying much the same thing to his wife and slaves and children. She maintained in her mind that it was utterly unacceptable to invite a prostitute to this sort of event, but she wasn't going to make a scene - she had been brought up better than that. Instead, she wordlessly, dutifully, nodded and offered the woman a tight smile. 

The wine was a relief and she took a sip. And then another, but she couldn't stand the smirk that sat on the blonde's face nor the presence of Marcus and Lucius. With an inclination of her head she flourished both the men with a gracious, awfully faux smile and shrugged. She was being polite - she was following Marcus' speech, but she couldn't abide it. "I'm afraid I'll have to leave you gentlemen to your entertainer of..." She glanced at Lucius, "Many qualities," and then she glanced at Marcus, "and many talents.She took a sip, "I'm sure you'll be enthralled. Excuse me." She didn't wait for a response and instead whipped round to storm off across the gardens. She stopped herself after a couple of steps with; do not make a scene, Ovinia Camilla. She adjusted her pace and instead languidly slipped away, dodging the crowds to find a secluded spot where she could let out her frustration on some unsuspecting idiot or shrub. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, well, Marcus was not helping, not one bit. He thought he was, but he failed miserably. Explaining to Ovinia that Vibia was, indeed, a prostitute, but she deserved respect under the circumstances, was clearly not the right way to go. When she glared a him, Lucius actually winced. He would not have been surprised to get a slap in the face. It dawned on him that his brother might find out about this. Gods help me.

"I'm afraid I'll have to leave you gentlemen to your entertainer of... Many qualities, and many talents. I'm sure you'll be enthralled. Excuse me."

She stormed off, as gracefully as a storming off could be accomplished. Lucius watched her go, still looking sheepish. He drained his cup, and looked at Marcus.

"Well... that was probably not a good idea."

@Atrice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, he thought he'd be helping and that Ovinia would get over it. But women and especially young women like her, they were strange creatures, as if they had their own strange will somethings and it wasn't understandable at all. She didn't seem to listen to a thing he said. Or, he thought she was, when she accepted the wine he offered her and she actually drank, but then she gave them the most fake smile ever and said she'd have to leave. And then she swiftly turned to leave. A bit too swiftly, before she slowed down and then walked away, gracefully. Marcus felt a bit bad for her. But why was she leaving? Vibia wasn't here to be a prostitute. She was here to entertain with her singing and her music, that's all. And she was good. Why did Ovinia think that was so wrong? More or less all actors and dancers had a background related to Vibia's, but she was better quality, of course, she had been the most pricey one to get tonight!

Marcus didn't change his expression as Ovinia left, but Lucius still looked like a puppy when he looked at Marcus and spoke.

"Which part of it? She's the only one who has complained so far. Surely you can understand her presence?" He nodded towards Vibia, "As she is here to entertain as she currently does, and nothing more. It's not like I imagined this should turn into an orgy! Not at all! Tiberius wouldn't want that." And probably wouldn't understand either, his old friend was far too relaxed and mature for that. It would probably do him good to hang out with a sweet girl like Horatia Sosia, she'd be easy to charm for a guy like him. 

He bit his lip, looking in the direction Ovinia went, "Do you think she's ready to talk? With any of us? Maybe not yet..." 

@Sara @Chevi

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Which part of it? She's the only one who has complained so far. Surely you can understand her presence? As she is here to entertain as she currently does, and nothing more. It's not like I imagined this should turn into an orgy! Not at all! Tiberius wouldn't want that." 

"Marcus, I assumed you would not invite the ladies along to an orgy. I give you the benefit of doubting that you'd be an idiot." Lucius smirked, shaking his head. Vibia's presence really was not the problem here. She was still playing music, willfully ignoring the drama that was unfolding close buy. She must have seen Ovinia storm off. Likely, she was going to comment on it later, in more private company... "I think the mistake was telling Ovinia to respect her. Or leaving her out of the joke. Beats me. She gets pissy at all kinds of things."

"Do you think she's ready to talk? With any of us? Maybe not yet..." 

"Feel free to try." Lucius shrugged "She's to marry my brother, but she hates my guts."

@Atrice @Sara

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It was a stupid mess with Ovinia... well he wasn't sure if she liked him anyway in the first place. And she didn't even seem impressed that he invited her to the party. It was hard to get on her good side, it seemed! At least Lucius seemed to somewhat understand his plans and that he didn't plan an orgy tonight. Lucius was right, he would not have invited all those unmarried young ladies if that was the plan. Maybe another time? Marcus tasted his wine some more and Lucius thought Ovinia was upset that she'd been told to respect Vibia... either that, or she was left out of the joke. 

"You never know what's going on inside their heads, do you?" Marcus said, women and girls were so hard to understand! "It's like they're nuts you have to crack. And some of them will never crack. Like her." Or they were empty inside, once you got past the shell. He doubted Ovinia was like that. But how to get past that shell though? He wondered if they should go and talk to her, but Lucius didn't seem keen on the thought. Then said she was going to marry his brother.

"Really, your brother? I hope he's in for the ride!" Marcus chuckled and then a bell suddenly rang in his head, "How's that going for you by the way? Do you remember our bet?" He winked and sipped some more wine, watching Lucius with interest. He hadn't heard back after he set Lucius up to meet that Pinaria Gaia, so maybe it didn't work out. Well, it was worth a try.

@Chevi

• Haha 2

He liked to hear Sosia talk of her childhood in the countryside; she seemed to relax as she thought of it, and lost that hesitancy in her speech. “I’d like to hear more about it, if you’d like to tell.” He said warmly. Of course he’d spent some time on country estates, but most of his life had been spent at the palace, with occasional stints being hidden from those who sought to slaughter his family. But the way Sosia spoke gave it almost fairytale qualities.

Explore the palace? Tiberius automatically thought of his other guests, looking in their direction. One of the entertainers – an exotic looking woman with blonde hair – was singing and playing a cithara really rather well and the Marcus, Julius and Ovinia were listening to her. He supposed they were well enough occupied. “I am hosting, but I think I can show you the nearest parts.” He offered. “I don’t think they’ll miss us.”

Would Sosia’s brother however? They’d need to keep to the more common areas. “You know this is the Hortulus. It’s just a garden, but I like to come here to think.” He offered her his arm and started walking towards the nearest portico, pointing out the names of the various palaces which were visible from the Hortulus.

Glancing back over his shoulder to be certain they wouldn’t be missed, Tiberius spotted Ovinia walked away on her own from where Marcus and Lucius stood watching her. The young Imperial had a sinking feeling that there might have been an argument. “You mentioned that you met Ovinia on your way into Rome.” He recalled, wondering how well Sosia knew her. Tiberius knew her not at all.

@Atrice

• Like 1

She smiled when he said he’d like to hear more about the countryside, “I’ll gladly tell you anything you’d like to know. Just ask.” She replied, unsure of where to begin, because there was a lot to tell him about and she wasn’t sure what interested him most. He was male, he probably didn’t have the same interests as she did. But he’d also been kind enough to wonder what might make her feel more at ease, and she suggested exploring the palace a bit.

Tiberius seemed to think it over, and then he agreed to show her the nearest parts to the party. She nodded, “Not if we’re not too long, I think.” She agreed, when he said they’d not be missed. Then he offered her his arm, which surprised her, but she took it, while he told her that the garden as a place where he liked to come and think, “That sounds nice, I can imagine I’d like that too. Sometimes, just having the clear sky above you makes the mind wander more easily.” She said thoughtfully, glancing upwards. It was dark now, but in the garden there was plenty of light. She was not afraid of the night, not here.

She followed his eyes when he glanced over his shoulder, and she too saw Ovinia walk away. She had a determined walk away from Marcus and Lucius and she wondered what happened. Worried, even. But she was with Tiberius now. Maybe after he’d shown her some more, she could find Ovinia. Tiberius also asked about Ovinia then and she looked up at him, although she was also very much aware of her hand on his arm, “Yes, I did. It was only briefly, I was walking with my dog and met her. She was very friendly. She seems like a nice friend to have. I wish her only the best.” She said softly, glancing in Ovinia’s direction again.

@Sarah

"You never know what's going on inside their heads, do you? It's like they're nuts you have to crack. And some of them will never crack. Like her." 

"I don't know, she looked ready to crack just now" Lucius sighed. Ovinia really was off balance with the whole Vibia thing. She had walked away, and more likely than not she was not going to talk to him again for the rest of the party. Maybe ever. And this time, it wasn't even his fault!

"Really, your brother? I hope he's in for the ride!... How's that going for you by the way? Do you remember our bet?"

"Of course" Lucius smiled "But next time you set me up, please let me know in advance. Saves a whole lot of awkwardness."

@Atrice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Marcus smiled, when Lucius said Ovinia looked ready to crack just now, but he didn't laugh, although he would have, in any other situation. Yet his friend had said it with such a sigh that he got the feeling once more, that there were things Lucius had not told him about Ovinia. They clearly knew each other and they got under each other's skin somehow. So he said nothing but only nodded at Lucius, it sure did seem like she'd crack, but not in a good way! 

Then Lucius had revealed that his sister was to marry his own brother, which surprised Marcus. She was lovely, but to be honest, with what just happened... she seemed to be quite the handful for a future husband to handle! However, it reminded him of his bet with Lucius and how he set Lucius up with that Pinaria Gaia a while back. Lucius seemed to think it had been awkward.

"And here I thought you'd charm her plenty." He said with a grin, "So I guess you're not going to marry her. Is our bet still on then, or is this the end?" If it was, then Marcus had lost and would owe Lucius a favor, as they decided back then. He tilted his head, glancing in Ovinia's direction. It was worth one shot, wasn't it? Plus, he was damn curious! "What about Ovinia? There is something there, I think anyone would pick up on that. But is it something-something... or what?"  

@Chevi