Tiberius smiled warmly when Sosia said that Ovinia seemed like a nice friend to have. It was a different impression than what he'd developed, watching her react to Lucius and Marcus, but he could imagine that Sosia brought out the gentleness in anyone. Was it Lucius or Marcus who had made Ovinia bristle, or had something else upset her? He resolved to speak to Ovinia himself, get her measure when something wasn't annoying her. He tried not to pre-judge people.

And that included Sosia. She had a quiet nature and seemed a bit unworldly, and it would be easy to dismiss her as simple, but it would be wrong. She'd been dropped into a world in which she'd had little experience. He wanted to hear her talk about her world. "Tell me about what you enjoyed the most, on your estate." He suggested. What had pleased or inspired her?

He couldn't agree more, when Sosia observed that having the open sky above you helped one think. "It does, and it's peaceful. That's what I imagine it would have been like, growing up in the countryside." Which was a pretty big assumption, but he'd only been young, last time he'd lived on an estate. "Perhaps we should build more public gardens in Rome." Now there was an idea. After all, there were public libraries for people's minds, baths and gymnasiums for their bodies and temples for their souls. Would more access to gardens and natural beauty help with a citizen's contentment? He knew it helped his.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Sosia didn’t want to prejudge people either, but maybe she did, when she decided they seemed friendly within moments of meeting them. But really she did only wish the best for Sosia. She was so pretty and so sweet. She didn’t know why she walked off like that. But Sosia was right here, with Tiberius, and she was happy about that. They were so close. He was so handsome. And so friendly. He asked more about the countryside and she’d spoken of the clear blue sky above her out there.

Tiberius agreed that it was peaceful and suggested more public gardens in Rome. Sosia gave him a bright smile after he said that, “That would be lovely. Rome needs more green.” She said happily, glad that he came up with that idea. Wasn’t he just the best?

“What I enjoyed most out there, on the estate… I enjoyed spending time near the stables, with the animals. I had kittens and a horse. And then my dog, whom I brought to Rome too. Her name is Eucleia.” The name of the dog probably said a lot about Sosia, but she didn’t really think about it anymore. It had been a pretty name and her father had said that animals shouldn’t have Roman names, because they were not people. Just like slaves. But she’d befriended the slaves too, out there. Over the later years, only the women though. Her father had not wanted her to have any male company. But she had now. The handsomest of them all.

“What do you enjoy most here in Rome?” She then wondered, since he began, she might as well continue. And maybe he had good ideas of places she should visit.

@Sarah

• Like 1

Rome needs more green. It was a pleasant thought. Many of the gardens were private or restricted, but green space that could be enjoyed by all seemed like something that would surely enrich everyone's lives; right? Sosia certainly seemed to like the idea. Rome was a marvel of modern engineering, but he supposed to someone accustomed to the countryside it would be a bit of a stone edifice.

Animals. Sosia liked animals. She spoke enthusiastically of her pets and her horse, and she'd brought her dog to Rome. She seemed to be such a caring soul, with a big heart for every living thing. It made him smile. And she clearly thought a lot of her dog, by the name. "What does your family farm on your estates?" He asked, curious. Had she had much to do with their management?

As they mounted a set of shallow steps into the first portico, Tiberius considered her question. What did he most enjoy in Rome? He thought back to his conversation with Marcus as well, about what he could show her around the city. "The temples are magnificent." He opined. Of course, they were designed to be impressive. "My uncle Octavius is building a new library, that's quite the feat of modern architecture." And was worth looking at. "I do enjoy libraries. The words of our greatest minds give great insight into the human condition." He was currently on a bit of a Stoics bent; something in the way they viewed the world appealed to him. "And the gardens. Have you seen the Gardens of Sullust?"

They'd been privately owned until they and the attached villa had come into the possession of the Imperials.

@Atrice

• Like 1

More green in Rome would be beautiful. Not that she didn’t enjoy all the white marble or the painted statues, but they were just dead things and while she’d go to the temples for worship, she enjoyed life. Living things. Nature. Tiberius didn’t disagree with the idea and she was happy for it. Then he wondered what her family farmed.

“We have olives. And lemon trees.” She explained, “I heard father mention maybe gaining lands further to the South, so we can grow barley. But we don’t have that yet.” Not as far as she knew anyway. She had little to do with the management, but she did not consider herself stupid, she paid attention when she could. When she was allowed to.

She wondered what Tiberius enjoyed in Rome, as they walked up a set of steps. He said he liked the temples and spoke of a library, as he enjoyed those. She had read a little, but her father was afraid that if she read too much, she’d get ideas into her head, and he thought she’d had enough of those when she was younger already. So she didn’t answer him on that, but merely nodded quietly. She’d love to read more. And see this new library. Then Tiberius spoke of gardens and that, she understood better.

“I have heard about the gardens, but I have not seen them yet. I have been to the Porticus Liviae, that was a beautiful place too. I’d love to see these places you mention. If you would see me again.” She added, feeling heat rise to her cheeks again. Was it too much to ask of a man like him? He must be busy. And she knew that although her father did like the connection she had with him, she probably wouldn’t be allowed to marry him. She was meant for someone older, someone more settled. Tiberius was still quite young. But he could become so dear to her.

@Sarah

• Like 1

Olives and lemons; staples of the empire and valuable crops. It was interesting to know that her father was considering expansion. But the way that she said she had heard her father mention it indicated that she wasn't involved in the management herself; hardly surprising really. She would be expected to manage her future household, rather than a business. But she'd clearly loved the estate where she'd grown up, which was why he was interested to learn about it. He knew she had a brother, and no doubt her father had focused his efforts there.

But it sounded as though she'd had an idyllic childhood, if a little sheltered. He was a bit envious really.

"The Porticus is quite something, isn't it?" He observed, seeing in his mind's eye the grand colonnades, inner walks and painted frescoes. "And of course the Ara Concordia at the centre." The goddess embodied agreement in marriage and in society, and once he said it Tiberius wondered whether that might even have been why she had visited. Logic said that now that she was in Rome, her father would be seeking suitors. It wasn't a thought he liked, even though he understood the inevitability of it.

I’d love to see these places you mention. If you would see me again.

Of course he wanted to see her again. Sosia was so sweet, so delightful to be around. He knew he shouldn't monopolise her time, or her attentions, but how could he refuse such a request? "Of course I would." He assured her. Why not? "I'd be happy to show you around. What would you like to see most?" He asked, thinking that he could at least do that much for her.

From the top of the steps they had a view out over the Hortulus, lit now by braziers and torches in the deepening evening, obscured in places by the pillars which supported the roof over the entrance way. And over the wall one could see parts of Rome herself. On impulse Tiberius stepped close and leaned down slightly, bringing their faces level, and pointed. "There are the Forums." He indicated the grand buildings beautifully lit. "And that way are the Theaters." Another piece of high culture.

@Atrice

• Like 1

She nodded at his comments on the Porticus Liviae, “It really is something. And so vast! The shrine is beautiful, but so is the rest.” She said with a smile, only happy to find a green area in Rome, even though it was manmade and very clearly a garden and not a wild place. She had been back there since the day she met Davus, enjoying to just walk around or sitting on a bench somewhere, just watching people and flowers and birds. It was lovely.

Tiberius had mentioned more places to see though, and maybe she was bold when she almost asked him if he’d show her the Gardens of Sullust among other places. She almost wanted to take it back, but on the other hand, she did not want to take it back at all. And then he said that he would see her again. Of course he would. How was he being so kind to her? He would even be happy to show her around. Gods, she felt she was very warm!

“I… I don’t know. I think you know what is best to see, more than I. I would enjoy seeing anything you wanted to show me.” She replied softly, almost feeling dizzy after his words. He was really getting to her, wasn’t he? And ten they stood at the top of the steps and could see a bit of Rome. Tiberius leaned closer to her, pointing out certain places in Rome. Sosia barely heard what he was saying though, he was so close to her.

“I fear I’ll never finish seeing Rome.” Sosia said and turned her head to look at him. He was so close to her, she could feel his warmth and her own heartbeat. She had to say something, but she was looking only at him, “What… what else is there?”

@Sarah

• Like 1

Sosia's appreciation of Rome and all that it had to offer was charming, and in a way it made it new again in Tiberius's eyes. It would be fun to show her around, he thought, to see her enjoy the sights and to enjoy them again himself, when he realised he usually took them for granted.

He asked what she'd like to see, but Sosia demurred. Whether embarassed or simply that, like many young women, she was taught to defer to the man in her presence. But he didn't want her to just say 'whatever you like', he wanted to know her better. "There's no 'best to see'." He assured her gently, warmly. "I want to show you what you'd enjoy most." He insisted. Because he wanted to see her smile, and because then she would be able to visit those places again. He didn't want to bore her with temples and architecture if she wasn't interested; he didn't want her to be bored with him.

She'd said she enjoyed gardens. "I'll show you the Gardens of Sallust first." He decided. "You'll like those, I promise." At least, he hoped she would. They were quite spectacular, and whilst public they were owned and maintained by the Imperials. And they were somewhere they could walk and talk, without upsetting priests or Gods.

He pointed to some of the sights of Rome, visible over the wall from the steps where they stood, dramatically lit by torches, leaning in so that she could follow the line of his arm. He could feel his warmth against her side, smell the flowers in her hair as she looked where he pointed.

What… what else is there?

As she spoke Tiberius turned to look at her and suddenly they were nose to nose, whatever answer he'd been about to give dying in his throat, her breath warm on his face, her eyes dark and enchanting. He was a thoughtful youth and wasn't accustomed to acting on impulses, but he suddenly knew what he very much wanted to do.

He tipped his head to the side and leaned in, pressing his lips to Sosia's, knowing even before he touched her they'd be warm and soft. And sweet, just like her.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Tiberius was so kind, saying he just wanted to show her something in Rome she would enjoy. Instead of just saying he knew exactly where to take her, he would let her pick. But she didn’t know Rome very well at all and he could help her. Then maybe next time, she’d know. Gods was she already thinking that far? But he was so kind and so good looking. Her cheeks felt warm and he promised she would like the Gardens of Sullust, he’d show her those. She nodded, “I hope it’ll live up to the promise then.” She replied softly with a sweet smile, and then he’d leaned closer to her, to point out places in Rome across the wall from the palace. 

Which just about made her forget everything about Rome. She’d turned to look at him, he was almost holding her and all he did was talk about Rome. Sosia barely noticed what came across her lips. What else was there? He didn’t answer, instead he looked at her too and before she knew it, his lips were on hers and it felt so nice and how could she not return his kiss? Sosia turned more towards him, with her back to the wall, trapped between that and Tiberius. This was not her first kiss, she’d done it with that stable boy at the villa too, and maybe another slave out there. Before her parents forbade her to have anything to do with the male slaves at all.

But it was all a few years ago and they were nothing like Tiberius. Forgetting where she was and what they had talked about, she closed her eyes by the feeling of his lips, they were so perfect, he was so perfect. All she wanted was to never stop kissing him.

@Sarah

• Like 1

Her lips were sweet, just as he'd imagined. And her body was warm and soft as she turned towards him and he unthinkingly leaned against her gently. Her mouth welcomed his, and his arms curled about her, the backs of his hands against the cool pillar. It felt so good to hold her, and kiss her.

He couldn't have said why he did it. Tiberius wasn't the impulsive type; quite the opposite. If anything he was boringly deliberate; when he grew older some might even call him calculating. Certainly he always thought before he acted. But he wasn't thinking now. Sosia was wonderful, and kissing her was far more enjoyable than the few awkward kisses he'd had with one of the palace slaves, before she'd run off after the last time, and he'd later seen her crying. He'd never found out why, she'd avoided him after that. At the time he'd been embarassed to think he was a terrible kisser, but now he was older he knew that she likely dreaded the possible fate of a slave who had a child to an Imperial.

Sosia didn't seem to think he was a bad kisser, and she certainly wasn't. Rather the kiss was everything he wouldn't admit he'd dreamed of, after their first meeting. He wanted more, ached for more in a way that surprised him, and that gave him pause. Their lips parted and he drew back slightly, taking a deep breath, and looked into her large, dark eyes.

"I'm sorry." He murmured quietly. "I should have asked you."

He was acutely aware that, in that moment, he had shown a decided lack of temperance, or restraint, one of the cardinal virtues. He was also acutely aware that he wanted to do it again, and more besides. But one of the other cardinal virtues was prudence, and he knew that the correct path was not the one he desperately wanted to take.

@Atrice

• Like 2

When she turned towards him, when they kissed, he wrapped his arms around her. His hands on her back, holding her close to him and her eyes closed. How could she not give into this? It’s what he wanted. And she liked Tiberius. He was good looking, he was kind and his kiss was something she had never imagined, but from now on, she would dream of it. Right now, there was no time to consider what it meant, because all it meant in this moment… was something that made her stomach flutter and her body lean closer to his while he held her. Instinctively, her hand came to rest on his side too.

And then their lips parted. It probably had not lasted more than a few moments, but it felt like a lifetime and her eyes opened again, looking up at him. It was like a dream come true. She wanted more. But Tiberius apologized and aid he should have asked. Right. And she should not have returned his kiss, but how could she not?

She reached a hand up to touch his cheek, “Don’t be sorry.” She said with a smile, feeling the heat in her cheeks, “I liked it.” Sosia then said and cast her eyes down, removed her hand from his face. Should she be kissing boys at parties? Although Tiberius was hardly a boy anymore. Still, her father would not like it. And something in her knew that marriage with Tiberius was probably out of the question. He would never be hers, not for real… she wanted more, but now she found that she also needed an answer and she looked up at him again, tilting her head, “Why though? Not that I... don't want more but...” He knew what she meant, didn't he? She hoped he did.

@Sarah

• Like 1

It was one of those moments in life that you wished would never end. Kissing Sosia felt wonderful, even more so because she responded so positively, leaning into him, her hand against his side. That in itself was amazing, after his few tentative advances towards a slave had proven unwelcome. But it was very clear that she welcomed him.

Still, after the several lifetimes the kiss seemed to last, he pulled back, feeling chargrinned and slightly ashamed of giving in to impulse. It wasn't proper, he knew that well. And Tiberius rarely did anything that wasn't proper. But there were times when he wanted to; this was one of them.

He apologised, not really knowing what else to say, but where he half expected her to run from him as the slave girl had done, instead she smiled and put a hand to his cheek. For a moment Tiberius closed his eyes, savouring that touch, those words. She'd liked it. Then he blushed. "I liked it to." He admitted quietly, barely more than a whisper, his smile returning.

Why though? Not that I... don't want more but...

Oh that was a good question. Yes Tiberius, why did you just kiss an innocent young girl, when her father trusted her to your party? There were a host of conflicting thoughts running through the young Imperial's head, but always he held to honesty. Lies only complicated things. "Because I wanted to." He said quietly, giving her a frank look from blue eyes. "Because you're pretty, and sweet, and I like you a lot. You're very different from most of the women I meet, in a good way." So many saw him either as an opportunity for themselves, or for their fathers, brothers and sons. One of the points of the party had been to mingle with their peers, away from such pressures. Sosia just seemed to enjoy his company.

@Atrice

• Like 1

His arms were still around her and her hand on his side and every inch of her wanted another kiss. He was so kind and sweet to her and so easy on the eyes too. She should have told him that she had not liked it, she should be pulling away, but for some reason she didn't, because it felt right to be this close to him. He admitted that he liked it too and she was glad. So they both liked it. What a mess, but a beautiful mess, she thought. A wonderful mess. Was this what it was like, to be in love? Her stomach fluttered and her cheeks were burning, but she managed to ask why he kissed her. It felt like the right question to ask.

Tiberius then simply said he had wanted to, and that's why he did it. She couldn't help but chuckle, she had been daydreaming about it and would daydream even more about it now. Then he went on, complimenting her and she found herself blushing. She leaned closer to him, resting her head against his chest. She could hear his heartbeat, feel the warmth of his body close to her own and she found that she wanted to feel it. She wanted it too. 

"You're too kind, Tiberius. Too... sweet." She looked up at him, large eyes admiring him from behind her lashes this close, "I... don't think I would mind, if you did it again." She smiled shyly, was that a stupid way to put it? Her father would never let her out again, if he found out. He just shouldn't. At least they appeared to be alone here. Would he kiss her again? He held all the power here. Over the party, over her. 

@Sarah

• Like 1

She was warm, and soft, and she smelled wonderful, the scents of the flowers in her hair mingling with her perfume and that which was uniquely her. Tiberius wasn't an impulsive sort, but once Sosia confirmed that she didn't mind, he found he couldn't regret his actions. Even though he knew he shouldn't have done it. Even though he knew there might be repercussions.

But only if someone found out, right? Then she rested her head on his chest, and he found any concerns about being caught fled from his mind. Why should he worry, when it felt so right, having her there. He ran a hand gently down her back, and gave a deep sigh of contentment.

I... don't think I would mind, if you did it again.

She was looking up at him with those magical dark eyes. The politician in him heard the request that couldn't be voiced. How could he refuse? After all, it was just a kiss? What harm could that ever do. He couldn't help the warm, broad and slightly goofy smile that appeared. "I'd like that." He said quietly, and leaned in to kiss her again. One magic, perfect, stolen moment.

@Atrice

• Like 1

There were a few moments, when he just looked at her and she looked at him. After she'd requested another kiss. Or rather, she just said she would not mind if he kissed her again. But it was up to him, she did not dare to just say she wanted more. Even though she did. Sosia had briefly considered how upset her father would be, but when she looked up at Tiberius, she forgot about it. Now he smiled and confirmed he'd like to do it again too. So he kissed her. 

She leaned against him, feeling she wanted to be as close to him as possible. As if she wanted no space between them at all. He felt so good. The kiss felt so good. She just wanted more of it, she didn't want it to stop. Her hand held onto his side and she wanted to touch him more, so her other hand lifted to rest on his cheek. Like she wanted to keep him there. Like she wanted him to never stop and this moment would last forever. At some point later tonight, she'd have to go home. But then the feeling of his lips on hers would linger. The feeling of being close to him, the feeling of knowing that he wanted to kiss her too, that he liked her so much. It was too perfect. Sosia felt happy and wanted it to last.

@Sarah

• Like 1

Tiberius couldn't begin to describe how good it felt to hold Sosia's soft, warm form, her sweet lips against his. It was a heady feeling, without any rational component. Her hand cupped his cheek, his arms about her waist and shoulders, just the two of them together. It felt so right, and all other concerns just melted away. He wanted her, and he wanted more than just a kiss, though he couldn't have said exactly what, not yet. Right now, this perfect moment was enough.

But it couldn't last. As their lips separated reality came flooding back in. He knew he shouldn't be kissing her, and if someone realised that they were missing, and told her father, there would be a world of trouble for her and a world of resentment for him that he didn't need politically. And he wanted to be able to see her again.

How could anything so right be so wrong?

Tiberius drew a deep breath. "We get back to the party." He said, a little sadly. "Thank you. I'll never forget, and we'll see each other again, I promise."

@Atrice

(OOC: fin?)

• Like 1