What Could Have Been?

Sara

"I'll tell my brother you said that when we go for dinner next week."

"Feel free. As long as both our brothers still think we named him after them." Lucius smiled, setting back on the bed with the baby in his arms.

"What's wrong, hmm?" 

"I don't think it's the diaper. It seems dry." Lucius noted. Guessing what made a baby cry was not an exact science.

"He's not excited about moving into your domus in the city, I think." 

"He likes the villa." Lucius smiled. He was going to teach his son all about that, once he got older. "Should I go find the wet nurse? You look like you could use more sleep..."

• Like 1

"He takes after you with his love of the countryside, clearly." Although it was difficult to tell at only four months old which of his parent he favoured more physically given both Lucius and she had dark eyes and hair and similar complexions. 

Shaking her head, she sleepy held her arms aloft. "No, I can do it." She didn't make a huge habit of it but he was her son after all so why should she not feed him herself? Yawning she leant to kiss her son on his forehead which settled his snuffling for a few moments at least as she tried to work the ties on the tunica she wore at night. "Give me a hand?" she said with a sleepy smile and turned her attention back to her son. 

"How do you think he'll fare on the journey?" 

TAG: @Chevi

• Like 1

"No, I can do it. Give me a hand?"

Lucius handed his wife the baby, and then he reached over to untie the top part of her tunica. He had done that before in more passionate ways, but there was also a kind of magic in watching her feed their child. Lucius settled in, determined to stay awake as long as Ovinia had to.

"How do you think he'll fare on the journey?" 

"He will fare just fine. We all will." he assured her with a smile. "I won't let anything happen to my family, you should know that by now. That is my entire job as paterfamilias, after all..."

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia snorted in amusement, a most unladylike sound, before she cracked a grin and one of her eyes to peer at him. "And how have you found your new role?" It had been heavenly for her, but she knew the weight and responsibility was likely to sit differently on his shoulders. He'd turned his back from his own paterfamilias when he was younger and now he bore all the responsibilities that Gaius Vipsanius had done for him.

She peered down at her son, nursing and then back to her husband with a curious expression on her face. "Things will feel right when we're in Rome." she nudged him with her shoulder, "It will all fall into place." Although it sounded more like she was trying to convince herself than him. 

TAG: @Chevi

• Like 1

"And how have you found your new role?" 

"I love it" Lucius grinned sleepily "Although I am sure some of my ancestors are turning in their grave."

"Things will feel right when we're in Rome. It will all fall into place." 

"It already has" Lucius assured her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "We are married, we have a son. Rome will forget the rest faster than you can blink. And we don't have to hide anymore."

@Sara

• Thanks 1