What Could Have Been?

Sara

"And what did you say to your sister when she asked why you'd want a random matron invited to her week?" 

"I told her that she'd like you and that you probably were going to be the most interesting guest of the bunch. And that you were probably bored out of your mind in Rome."

And Vipsania probably knew none of that were the real reasons. She knew better. But she was kind.

"If you ruin my reputation just to needle me for a week... And put that basket down before you throw your back out. You're not twenty anymore." 

Lucius but his tongue about the needling. That had not been his purpose at all.

"Well you seemed to believe that I have given up all my foolish ways and become a boring officer. I had to show you." He chuckled, setting the apple basket down. "Besides when was the last time you have seen harvest at a villa?"

• Like 1

"I'm not that interesting." She rolled her eyes before adding, "Not anymore." She raised her daughter, greeted her husband's clients, chastised the slaves and attended functions and parties and dinners and that was about it. 

Rolling her eyes again she give him a smug look and then smiled as he did set down the basket. Not that she thought he would throw his back out, she mused with a bit lip and a cough to clear her throat. "I'll have you know I saw one last year." She threw him another smug look and sipped her wine, "I went to the villa with Tadia and the slaves gave us a beautiful dinner from it." Granted...she'd only seen the outputs of the harvest and not the actual process. "I'm not as out of touch as you think." 

TAG: @Chevi

Ovinia had never thought of herself as unique, not in the way Lucius saw her. She had all the qualities of a man who would have a promising career, she was clever and determined... but she was a woman. And she liked to hide the best of what she had to offer.

"I'm not as out of touch as you think." 

Lucius chuckled again. Yes she was, through no fault of her own. He lowered his voice, looking down at her. Somewhere in the distance other guests were chattering.

"Meet me at the orchard after dinner then."

• Like 1

Ovinia wasn't sure she heard him right. 

She blinked and glanced up at him, eyes wide and confused. "What?" She shook her head, needing him to repeat it. She heard the other guests chatting and the sound of female voices filtering through the late afternoon air. They'd be here in a minute or two and she took an unconscious step further away from Lucius. 

"If anybody were to see me..." She shook her head. Spurius hadn't divorced her due to her infertility but there was only so much a good, respectable Roman man could take. Being caught alone in an orchard with a man like Lucius...was not one. "I can't." She swallowed. But she knew she would.

Lucius watched her carefully, wondering what her response would be. He could see the conflict in her eyes.

"What?" 

"Meet me at the orchard after dinner" he repeated, knowing full well that she had heard him the first time.

"If anybody were to see me..."

It would be bad. Very bad.

"I can't." 

"It's up to you." Lucius said, picking up the basket again as the voices grew closer. He was not being resentful; it really was her decision. He wanted her to agree, but he knew it would not go so fast. Still, it was worth a try. "But I'll be there."

He walked away with the apples, joining the harvesters again before he could be seen. The rest was... up to her.

@Sara

• Like 1

Dinner passed Ovinia by at a glacial pace. She gossiped and giggled, sipping at her wine as any good matron did at these sorts of events but she was distracted, naturally. Every few minutes she cast a furtive glance to the fields beyond the gardens and the orchards that she knew lay out there. The sun wouldn't set for a little while and the late afternoon sun was casting the place in a beautiful orange glow. It was intoxicating and that, mixed with anticipation, made her feel tipsier than she ought to given her moderation on the wine. 

She shouldn't go. Of course she shouldn't go, and she repeated that to herself in her head as she left the women - claiming she wanted to get a walk in before sundown given she hadn't been able to exercise today. Most didn't question it - they were tired out from their journeys and retreating to their own rooms, but Vipsania cast her a knowing, peculiar sort of look that Ovinia couldn't read. She merely smiled in response and asked for directions to the orchard. 

A handful of slaves milled about in the groves, picking apples and chatting between themselves. Or they were chatting, before they saw her and immediately got back to work. She supposed she wasn't particularly conspicuous, dressed as she was and weaving her way through the neat lines of the trees. She glanced around to try and spot him and failed. He really should have been more specific when he said 'the orchard'.

• Like 1

Lucius kept working throughout the afternoon,  but even the work could not distract him from wondering. Would she  come? She was reluctant, and it was understandable. And even under the best circumstances it was hard to get away from a gaggle of Roman matrons all intent on having a good time. Lucius took a break and cleaned up for dinner, but he did not join Vipsania for the meal. He knew better.

The sun was setting now, and he was back in the orchard, telling the slaves they could call it a day. They had all worked hard, and the harvest was progressing well. He kept glancing around, trying not to imagine a thousand possible and impossile scenarios.

She appeared. Lucius' heart skipped, and he smiled broadly, moving among the trees to walk up to her.

"Managed to climb out the window while they were not looking?" Despite he teasing, it was obvious from his voice how genuinely happy he was to see her.

• Like 1

"Most of the guests had the sense to head to rest after our long journeys." She scoffed and cast an eye sideways at him. He'd cleaned himself up. She didn't know why  but she was half expecting him to still be dressed as a slave, ferrying baskets of apples around, rather than as a genteel Roman man. Then again, she supposed he wasn't really that either and this estate was technically no longer his. 

"Are they finishing for the day?" She flicked her wrist at the slaves who milled around, "I thought the harvest happened through the night?" She took an unconscious step away from him to inspect an apple tree and the haul in a basket at its foot, feeling awkwardness creep back in. She really shouldn't have come. 

• Like 1

"Most of the guests had the sense to head to rest after our long journeys." 

Lucius smiled. He really would not have wagered on her showing up - except, she did. And in broad daylight, too... or rather, twilight, but still. At least one of the women wanted to join her on her walk.

"Are they finishing for the day? I thought the harvest happened through the night?" 

"I gave them some time off" he shrugged, nodding to her "Come on."

He led the way through the orchard, trusting her to follow, until the trees gave way to the vineyards. There, between the two, the people of the villa had set up for pressing grapes into wine. Large vats, surrounded by baskets and barrels, were set up full of sweet-smelling grapes, and all the instruments of work, but the slaves had already gone for the day.

• Like 1

She scoffed, rolling her eyes. "You shouldn't have any authority to do that." But she didn't mean it in any sort of disparaging way, more in exasperation that he had the charisma to dictate to people he really had no business dictating to. It was exasperation against herself as well, given she was just as easily influenced by him as the slaves and she dutifully followed him through into the vineyards. 

Her eyes widened as they came to a stop. She should have guessed it. She tried to keep the smirk from her face and effect an air of indifference, or haughtiness. She cast him a glance. "Is this how you planned it?" She arched a brow and then moved away from him to lean up on her toes to peer into the vat. "The seduction, I mean." She kept her voice light and jovial, but she was genuinely intrigued. Had he imagined this, when they were younger?

• Haha 1

"You shouldn't have any authority to do that." 

"I don't." Lucius grinned as they walked "But they all know Vipsania is not going to contradict me." His sister had been all too happy to let him help with the logistics of the harvest.

He could see the recognition in Ovinia's face as she fought back a smirk.

"Is this how you planned it? The seduction, I mean." 

"Not really..." he admitted, leaning against the side of the vat as he kicked off his sandals "I had other plans for that. But since you are here, and have been questioning my adventurous nature, I thought you should see this at least once." He pulled himself up, swinging his legs over until he landed inside with a loud squishing sound. Some grape juice trickled into the barrel nearby. "Or try this, rather. Come on."

• Like 1

She chuckled but made absolutely no move to join him. Instead she took a purposeful step back away from the vat. 

"I can see it perfectly well from here. Do you have any idea how expensive this stola was?" And the palla, and the jewellery and even her sandals. She shook her head and laughed, "No. I'm fine here and you can make me a nice cold cup of wine from your work. That suits our positions, doesn't it?" She moved over to take a seat on upturned barrel (after carefully inspecting it for detritus and flicking it off so as not to stain her dress). 

It was risk enough to come here alone with him, but it could be explained away (she hoped) if she got caught. Coming back sweaty and covered in grapes was not so easily explained. 

"And what were your other plans?" She called out. 

• Like 1

Lucius squished around cheerfully in the vat of grapes, but despite his calling Ovinia declined to join him, citing her expensive outfit as an excuse. She was dressed nicely, but way too nicely for the gardens, for sure.

"No. I'm fine here and you can make me a nice cold cup of wine from your work. That suits our positions, doesn't it?" 

"This is not going to be wine for a while yet." He smiled, stomping a little "But you can try a taste."

She backed away and sat down carefully.

"And what were your other plans?" 

"Oh I had many. I'm afraid most were well outside the realm of possibility." He admitted. Realizing she was not going to change her mind, he climbed put of the vat to walk over to her, and plopped down to sit by the barrel. "Let's see... I was going to invite you over doinh Saturnalia and cook you a meal?"

• Like 1

She almost felt bad as he heaved himself out of the vat. She wondered what it felt like, she genuinely did, but how could she? She'd have to trek back to the villa with a dress drenched in grape juice with an equally drenched man that was not her husband. She swallowed and willed the thought from her head. 

She shot him a little glare as he moved to sit, almost dripping said grape juice on her dress. She snatched up the material to her knees to prevent it. 

"I remember your savillum wasn't much good," She gave him a sly smile, "I don't think I could have made it through a full meal of yours." She could have, and would have loved to. But such things were well in the past unless he fancied hosting a dinner for both herself and her husband at Saturnalia. 

Dress still bunched up in her fingers she shifted her position on her barrel, looking down at him. "Why did you invite me out here Lucius?" She sighed, her voice softer.

• Like 1

"I remember your savillum wasn't much good. I don't think I could have made it through a full meal of yours." 

Lucius rolled his eyes. "I would have made an effort." His cooking skills left much to be desired, but the slaves never complained, not during Saturnalia. Anyway  that had been one of his tamer plans...

"Why did you invite me out here Lucius?" 

He looked up at her then away, shaking his head.

"I'm not sure. I just... like seeing you, when no one else is watching how you behave." He admitted, glancing up again. He had pulled her skirt away and he could see the line of her legs, her knees level with his head as he sat. "... you could take your sandals off."

• Sad 1

Ovinia sighed. She knew it was something like that. At least he was honest...that...meant something to her; she was half expecting a silly quip or some banter, but the softness in his voice and the way he glanced at her was much more real. And much more painful. 

She bubbled a laugh and shook her head. "That wouldn't help the dress problem, and no, I'm not taking it off." She shook her head, predicting the quip before he could say it. 

"I don't know...I used to think how I acted around you wasn't me at all," She shook her head again and wished she had a glass of wine to sip, "But now I am a matron with all that, that entails...I suppose I regret not doing more fun things when I was younger. I was in such a hurry to be serious and grown up. I guess you never felt like that?" 

• Sad 1

"That wouldn't help the dress problem, and no, I'm not taking it off." 

Lucius closed his mouth and wrinkled his nose as she killed his banter before he could say it. Not that he was serious about it. Kind of.

"I don't know...I used to think how I acted around you wasn't me at all.But now I am a matron with all that, that entails...I suppose I regret not doing more fun things when I was younger. I was in such a hurry to be serious and grown up. I guess you never felt like that?" 

"It's different for women, you told me that" he pointed out with a sigh. "I fought convention too, but I had a better chance. And... I think you can be both, in a way." He reached out, gently running a finger along her ankle; it felt like a bold thing to do, while also laughably tame comapred to all his wildest dreams. "It just feels like a pity, that you can't do something so simple without being judged."

• Like 1

It was different for women. She couldn't get away with half the things Spurius did. He didn't like her anymore so he took his pleasure elsewhere with the women of the Venus or his slaves. He found his work dull so he took up gambling and frequented the theatre. She had no such opportunities for vice or an outlet. She sighed. 

Her breath hitched in her throat and she shuddered unconsciously at his touch. She should bat him away but she made no move to, and leaned her ankle into him instead. She could pretend this was chaste whilst it still remained at this sort of level. 

"I don't need your pity," She glanced down at him and fought the temptation to brush his hair from his forehead, "I'm not going to cry myself to sleep because I can't stomp some grapes in a vat."

• Sad 1

She shivered, and he half expected to get kicked in the nose. But she let him touch her, and his heart skipped at the feeling of her skin under his finger. He traced the arch of her ankle and calf.

"I don't need your pity. I'm not going to cry myself to sleep because I can't stomp some grapes in a vat."

"I don't pity you, Ovinia." Lucius sighed "I'm sorry for us. It's not about the grapes, either. Although it is fun." He smiled a little "Remember Neptunalia?"

• Sad 1

She sank further into his touch and hated herself for it. 

I'm sorry for us. She sighed. Me too. She managed a shadow of a smile though as he brought up Neptunalia and she nodded, her smile becoming more genuine as she raked back through the years to those memories. 

"I do. I remember you were terrible at building your hut, and that you almost gave me pneumonia from soaking me." She also remembered thinking he was going to kiss her under the aqueduct, but she dared not bring that up right now. "I take Tadia every year you know." She chuckled, "Thought I'd induct her into the little known Roman traditions." It should have felt wrong to mention her daughter in his company, but it oddly didn't. It felt normal.

• Like 1

"You looked very good soaked" he grinned. She still did not pull away from his touch, and he chuckled gently as she mentioned taking her daughter to Neptunalia. Their lives had taken different turns... but at least he could give her that much.

"So... why did you come, then?" He asked, looking up. If she knew she was not going to be seduced... into anything that was not proper to do, then why was she here, risking it?

• Like 1

She glanced down at the moment he looked up and she felt her heart stutter before it juddered back into a normal rhythm. She sighed and shook her head. She thought that she didn't know, but she did. She wouldn't admit that part to him; the part that had wanted to be seduced against her better judgement, had wanted to know what it felt like to be wanted and desired and all of the things she suspected Lucius could have given her in another life. He didn't need to know that. 

Instead she rolled her shoulders back with a sigh and dropped a hand to lightly play at the neck of his tunic, just for a moment, just for the briefest of seconds before she pulled it back to her lap. 

"I...think you're interesting." She looked almost shy for a moment, "Always have and...my life isn't very interesting anymore Lucius. The most exciting thing I get to do now is invite a new matron to lunch or meet another family if my husband takes on a new client. That's it." It was one endless day on a loop that never ended, her life. "You always had a way of making things exciting, and...I suppose I've missed that." 

• Like 1

"I think you are  interesting. "

Lucius chuckled at that, then shivered as her hand brushed his neck. They had never touched much before, except for Neptunalia, and that had been brief too. It was surreal, how such small touches could have such a strong reaction, covering his skin in goosebumps.

"You always had a way of making things exciting, and...I suppose I've missed that." 

They were both quiet for a moment. Lucius thought it over, the years, the questions, the possibilities. Her answer. Then he sighed, and stood up, turning to face her with his hands braced on the sides of the barrel she was sitting on.

"Alright then. I'm going to tell you what is going to happen. You are going to take your sandals off, take your palla off, you are going to tie up your stola, and you are going to get in that vat of grapes. Now."

• Haha 1

She blinked as he planted his hands either side of her hips and reeled off his instructions. 

She mumbled. "I'm a thirty-four year old patrician, matron and mother, I'm not going to go stomping grapes." But she was, and she knew she was. It was why her fingers were itching to unlace the high straps of her sandals and why she had already unconsciously started shrugging off the palla from one of her shoulders. 

"I suppose you have thought of a plan for how I'm going explain my state when I get back to your sisters villa?" She scoffed and braced her palms against his shoulders to push him up and away as she stood. She leant down to begin unknotting her sandals (and wish she'd had the sense to bring a slave with her to do it for her). She grumbled as she managed to get one off and fingers aching, decided to tackle her palla next, unwinding the length of the gauzy, intricately decorated fabric from around her waist and shoulders, folding it neatly and placing it on the barrel. 

"I'm not doing this for you," She mumbled as she lifted her stola and tunica through her belt as she'd seen slaves do until they sat just above her knees, before she leant down again to attempt the second sandal, "I'm doing this for me." 

"I'm a thirty-four year old patrician, matron and mother, I'm not going to go stomping grapes." 

"You go in, or I put you in" Lucius reiterated, completely unnecessarily as she was already shrugging of her palla. His heart jumped again. He really had not thought it would work. 

"I suppose you have thought of a plan for how I'm going explain my state when I get back to your sisters villa?" 

"You won't." Lucius shrugged as he stepped away and watched her undress. It was a tantalizing sight. Of course he had thought about it. "You will go to the bathhouse, I'llget you a change of clothes, Vipsania will take care of the rest, and the others will be asleep anyway."

"I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing this for me."

"That was the plan" he nodded. He waited for her to undo the other sandal before he leaned down and unceremoniously scooped her up in his arms, crossing the few steps to the vat. He placed her on the edge, making sure she found her footing before he let go.

• Like 1