It did affect her, listening to Alexius' story about Didia, even if it was shortened very much. They didn't know if it was the same attacker. Maybe, maybe not. At least now Ovinia wouldn't find out, she was more shaken than she was actually hurt, which was good at least. She wondered if Didia was alright in the end, "I suppose. A mutual friend of ours stitched her up and I've been looking for the attacker ever since. I tried teaching her a bit of self defense, but... it didn't go well, at least not to begin with. She seems better now though. Life goes on." Alexius explained. It had been awhile since he properly checked up on her, maybe he should do that again soon. Even though there was no progress yet in finding the attacker. Deianira the prostitute had given him some clues, but even she didn't dare telling Alexius too much, because she feared for her life. That's how much the psycho affected the women he attacked. Fucker. 

They arrived to the busier street, where Alexius made his way towards one of the best thermoplia he knew and Ovinia followed, as she didn't know the place. Alexius had to ask her to not call him Lucius though. First she seemed worried when he had a request, but then she agreed. 

"I never said I was a freedman." Alexius said first with a wink, almost repeating her statement of how she never told him she was unmarried. Some things were just obvious, right? Then he went on, "It has never really felt like it was my name, I guess? Besides, everyone knows Alexius. Meanwhile, Lucius? You'll find one in every corner of Rome." He explained and leaned on the counter of the thermopolia, giving a most charming smile to a woman approaching, "Melissa, lovely Melissa... this young lady wishes to speak to you. Ovinia, this is the owner." He hoped Ovinia would not call it cheating, that he led her to a place where he was known so she could tell the owner about him... but Melissa could definitely speak well for him too. Very well. But some parts of it should probably be kept from Ovinia, who seemed surprised to even hear him curse before. 

@Sara

Edited by Atrice
  • Haha 1

Ovinia blinked in surprise. She'd just presumed he was a freedman; hence the loathing of a name. She supposed he could have been adopted, and that's why he didn't like it, but that seemed unlikely. "Everybody knows you?" She arched a brow and gave him a once-over. Why would a security guard at a warehouse be particularly well known? Ah! It hit her like a flash of light and she grinned. "A man that looks like you...a freedman, well known in Rome...who now works in security? You were a Gladiator?" She never thought of herself as particularly intelligent, but even she could see something that was laid out in front of her. 

She turned her head to a woman that approached, choosing to ignore the obvious familiarity between her companion and the beauty. The way she draped herself over the counter was verging on the obscene to somebody as naive as Ovinia, and she straightened her back, trying to look composure in response. "Salve." Her voice was tight, clearly discomfited at being somewhere like this. "I need you to make a  note for me; can you write?" She didn't mean to sound so...patronising, but she didn't even notice. "This man - Lucius Antonius Alexius is walking me home. In the interests of my own security, I'd like for you  to make a note of it in case something  happens to me. My name is Ovinia Camilla, and I live on the Esquiline." She really had no concept of how ridiculous she sounded.

TAG: @Atrice

• Haha 1

Well she clearly didn't know him, but both with their age difference and the fact they might move in different circles, it made sense she didn't know him. Her father might be old enough to know him though. He just nodded as she arched a brow and then she suddenly grinned and put two and two together. Alexius let out a small laugh too, "You're not stupid, Ovinia. You got it right." He said and winked again, before contacting the woman owning the thermopolia. She was a plebian, as so many were, and she was a great cook... among other things. Melissa too leaned on the counter and looked at Ovinia after Alexius more or less introduced them. Then Ovinia began talking and Alexius had to bite his cheek to not laugh.

Melissa didn't though, she just smirked while looking at Ovinia, "Darling, if something happens to you with this one, I promise it's only good. But sure, I can make a note." She said and then gave Alexius a look, "You're walking her home? She can't be much older than Lexus." Alexius rolled his eyes with a grin, "It's not like that, I promise! Really I'm just walking her home, that's all. Her father is a Praetor." Melissa shook her head with a certain smile and a mmh, before she went off to find a tablet to write that note Ovinia had insisted on. Meanwhile Alexius looked at Ovinia.

"Do you want a bite to eat too? And don't listen to her. She's just... uhm... she knows me well." He concluded, that wasn't saying too little and not too much either. Sometimes unmarried young women were the hardest to talk to, to be honest! 

@Sara

• Haha 1

Fortunately for Alexius, Ovinia was utterly clueless when it came to most innuendos. She considered herself a worldly woman - she ran a household, was on the verge of getting married, but her education was sorely lacking in one department. Her father wouldn't even let her watch the street performers and forbid her from reading graffiti when they ventured out of the domus. She merely smiled politely at the woman and gave her a bemused little look before arching a brow at her company. "Who's Lexus?" 

Shaking her head at the offer of food, she instead impatiently folded her arms over her chest. "I can see that." She said with a small smile tugging on the corners of her lips. "She's your lover?" She said - trying to sound aloof. She'd guessed that much - even if the rest of the conversation had gone over her head. 

• Haha 1

She must feel very comfortable with him now, Alexius thought to himself. Melissa had just mentioned Lexus and when she was on her way, Ovinia was curious about that. Well he had little to hide, right? 

"Lexus is my son. He's almost 17 years old." Alexius explained easily to her and had offered that Ovinia could have a meal too, since he was going to have one. She was very sweet, didn't seem to know so much, but he kind of liked her anyway. She wasn't stupid, as he just told her, and Alexius did enjoy talking to women who had more than gossip and dresses to think about. She of course understood that Melissa knew him well and then she asked if the woman was his lover. That bit surprised him some, he didn't expect she'd know much about such things, since she wasn't married. But since she did know, why not continue the honesty? She seemed to enjoy it. And why wouldn't she? So many men thought they were better than the women. And kept secrets from them, when they shouldn't. 

"Sometimes." Alexius said with a smile, "It's nice, but nothing steady though. At all." He added with a shrug of his shoulders, it had happened a few times with her and while it was good, he wasn't going to propose marriage to her. He didn't think she'd want it anyway, she knew him, after all. And which woman would want to marry a man she knew enjoyed spreading himself around? He let down the only wife he ever had, he wasn't going to do that to another woman too.

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia blinked. He didn't look old enough to have a son nearly her own age. Then again, she was being considered against candidates who were double her age; in their late thirties and forties, so perhaps she was just immune to it. It seemed to be the way of the world that older men got their career out of the way before settling down and finding a wife and children. Alexius, however, as a freedman must have done it differently. Curious. She wanted to ask if his son was born a slave, like he presumably was, but thought better of it. Such things weren't polite. 

"Sometimes?" She arched a brow, confused. She'd read enough stories and heard just enough gossip that she knew men took lovers. She also knew the vague mechanics of what that meant, but in the literature she'd read and the stories she'd heard, it was some love-match usually and...well...permanent. Not a fleeting coupling as he seemed to be insinuating. "You don't like her?" It was a childish question to ask, "Or are you married?" She added that with judgement. She also knew that married men took other women - judging by  the tears from her sister-in-law and muttered comments under her breath. 

• Haha 1

Alexius might have been flattered, had she told him he didn't look old enough to have a son who was soon 17 years old. Well he hadn't planned on having a son back then, it just kind of happened. He even only ever slept with Ginevera once, and that's because their fellow mistress gave Alexius a night with her, because he'd performed well in the arena. And then came Lexus, luckily born free, because his mother was freed before Alexius was. But that was all a long time ago and he felt that he was still getting to know his son. But Lexus wasn't here. Ovinia was. And while they waited for Melissa, the young woman grew more curious. She didn't seem to understand what he meant, when he explained that Melissa was only his lover sometimes. 

He chuckled at her last question, "No, I'm not married. It's hard to find a woman who will settle with me." Alexius said in all honesty, but with a smile, because it was just a fact. Kind of a sad fact, but a fact and he wouldn't be crying about it anyway... "And I do like her, but no, we're not going to marry." He paused, looking at her. Just how much about such things did she know? At certain times, she seemed very mature. At other times, quite naïve. 

"I have other lovers too. As I said, people know me." He then added with a wink and then Melissa showed up again, giving him a look again. Alexius just gave her the trademark smile, dimples and all and she rolled her eyes with a grin.

"I didn't know what you wanted, the tablet is good, but you can erase it, so I don't know if it's useful for you. I found a small piece of parchment, we may be able to find something to write with." A piece of coal might do it. She looked at Ovinia, wondering what she wanted. The idea was good enough, although a bit strange. Especially with a man like Alexius. 

@Sara

• Like 1

Other lovers? She blinked, and blinked again, her face a perfect picture. The wink didn't help. Soon her cheeks felt like they were on fire and she hurriedly wrapped her palla tightly around herself...although that had the inadvertent effect of highlighting the curves she wanted to conceal. "Oh." she tried to sound nonplussed. What else was there to say? She had no conception of men and their frequent trysts beyond what her sister-in-law complained about, and some vague outlines she'd managed to glean from her mothers stories. "Well." She cleared her throat, "I suppose if you're happy that's what matters." 

She was monumentally relieved when Melissa returned and gave her a grateful smile. Nodding her head, she glanced between the scrap of parchment and the tablet. "The tablet is fine. You've seen me, and know him," She gestured to Alexius, "I trust that should anything happen to me, you'll be honest with the vigiles when they come knocking?" She gave the woman a firm stare, one she usually reserved for errant slaves and then turned to Alexius, feeling all...flustered and embarrassed. She'd been through the ringer tonight and hadn't wanted to endure embarrassment at her own naivety on top of it. "Do you have your food? I should go home." She gave him an imperious look...slightly undercut by the heavy blush on her cheeks.

• Haha 1

Maybe he was beginning to feel a little too comfortable around Ovinia, but how could he not, when she was such a sweet and beautiful young woman? Also now that she'd begun to trust him a bit, it felt easier to talk to her. Even if he did have trouble figuring out what he should say to her. His experience with unmarried women of her rank was limited. If they were unmarried, they were usually a bit older than her and more experienced. Or else they would be, after meeting him. But usually they were married. Still Ovinia here, she seemed surprised when he shared that he had other lovers and he chuckled at her expression and the way she blushed and wrapped her palla around her. In a few years, perhaps, he thought... if she would have him. But Melissa was right. Sleeping with a girl just a few years older than his own son seemed awkward, even if it shouldn't really matter. Love and pleasure had no age. 

"Oh I'm very happy with the way things are." He said, pretending to ignore her reaction to his statement. If it couldn't be otherwise, you might as well be satisfied and content with how things were. And how could he not feel such things, when there were so many lovely people in Rome? 

Then Melissa turned up again and Ovinia deemed the wax tablet might be enough and the older woman started scribbling on the tablet.

"Sure I will." She promised, "But I doubt anything will happen. At least not... something that shouldn't." She added, seeing Ovinia for what she was and she gave Alexius another look. He sighed, being caught between two such different women was hard sometimes! But soon Melissa was done and Ovinia spoke of going home.

"Right, the food! Melissa, if you would find a bite I could bring with me? I'm still going to walk you home, you know. I made a promise." Alexius told Ovinia, while the other woman went to find a piece of bread and a grilled meat skewer for Alexius. He'd be back to pay her later. It didn't take long and Alexius soon gestured for Ovinia to come, "I know where the wealthier houses are, come along. It's not far." 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia self-consciously wrapped her arms about herself, hugging her waist as Alexius waited for his food. She'd never been somewhere like this and looking round, she saw why. Although there was an eclectic mix of men and women here - high and low born judging by their outfits, there were no high-born women. She got her food brought to her on platters by slaves, not by paying for it herself in this sort of place. She felt a twinge of...guilt? No. Jealousy? Possibly, that these people were out here living a life she'd never experience. It was peculiar. She had no real conception that these places were actually real, or people actually ate in them. 

She nodded at Alexius' gesture and dutifully followed him, relieved to be out of the place. "I suppose you must think I'm very naive." She said, voicing her own doubts out loud, "I'm not." She clarified, "I just...women of my class just don't do things like this. There's reasons, of course. Like getting attacked with a knife if you do." She'd be in for the argument of her life when her father found out she was walking home alone anyway, when it happened - let alone when he heard she'd allowed a strange man to lead her over the city. She paled at the thought. "I need you to come into the domus with me," She swallowed, "And meet my father. Explain who you are and what happened. It's better he hears it from you and meets you than he hears it from me." 

• Like 1

Was she cold? Or maybe she just felt like she was the odd one out in this street, being the only lady dressed in clothes of such fine fabrics and all, among plebians, freedmen, slaves and a few equites and foreigners. People of the higher ranks didn't come here. Well some did, but those were private visits and he'd keep that to himself, as he'd promised those who came to him. He wondered if Ovinia would want him to tell he'd helped her out. He didn't sleep with her, after all. They had nothing to hide, no reason to hide it, the way he saw it. But it all depended on what she wanted.

They began walking again and he led the way in the right direction. Meanwhile Ovinia began talking about how she was not naïve and just didn't come to a place like this. Alexius arched a brow, "I've never been attacked here, by someone with a knife. The street where we met, it's more quiet. Easier for bandits to roam there." Alexius explained, "I hope you didn't get a bad impression of Melissa's thermopolia. Really I promise, she's a great cook, should you need one." He added with a smile, hating that the area he came in and the thermopolia he visited got a bad reputation. Ovinia then mentioned how she wanted him to come with her inside, once they came to her home.

"Sure, if that's what you prefer. You don't think he'll trust your story?" He wondered and took a bite of the meat. It really was good. The perfect blend of spices and perfectly cooked meat. 

@Sara

• Like 1

"I'll keep her in mind." She said politely. She wouldn't - they had plenty of cooks, and none of them cost a penny given they were slaves. 

Nodding at his question, she bit at her lip and gave a weak shrug. "I'm his only daughter." She said by way of an explanation and then, when she realised that her meaning wasn't as clear as it probably needed to be, she continued: "He trusts me, of course, but...he is overprotective. Moreso of me than he was or is of my brothers." Meaning - she was held to a different standard. There could be no youthful follies for her like when her eldest brother ended up assaulting a senator when he was a drunken teenager, or her favourite brother Lucius starting that relationship with that freedwoman from the Suburra (which was quickly curtailed by her father, and she was paid off to move). For Ovinia she had to be a paragon of feminine virtues...which included not walking alone at night, or with strange men. 

"Besides," She said with an impish smile, "He might remember you from your Gladiator days. It might soften the blow when I tell him what happened, if he can meet an idol...although that presumes you were good..." 

• Haha 1

Ovinia promised she'd remember Melissa if she needed a great cook, but it sounded more like a polite answer than one she would keep. Which was a pity, but of course, in a Senator's house, they'd have slaves do the cooking. They'd have slaves do the everything, that's how she grew up most likely. She didn't know another life. So why would she want to change that? Alexius enjoyed luxury too. But he also enjoyed freedom. And he bet he was more free than her, when it came down to it. And he was right, as she explained she was the only daughter to her father. She had brothers, but with her, her father was overprotective.

"I think that's common. If you're the only daughter, you're precious." Alexius commented. He knew how wealthier families worked and a daughter was most useful for marrying off to an older bastard for the sake of an alliance that might not even hold. Poor young woman, he felt sorry for her regarding that. It was such a waste of beauty and wit! Ovinia then pointed out that her father might remember Alexius, although it would be best if he'd been a good gladiator. Alexius let out a little laugh.

"I'm still standing, aren't I? I fought to live and be free. And both of those are true today." Alexius pointed out but then tried to calm down, although this was one of his favorite topics to talk about, "So yeah, you could say I was pretty good. Champion of my ludus, even... I was known as Lexus, back then, my son is named after me. I was still a slave, when he was born, although his mother had been freed." He wanted to point that out, just to make sure. Lexus was born as a free Roman, after all. But all this talk made him wonder, "Have you ever been at the arena?"

@Sara

• Like 1

She glanced sideways at him as he spoke of his achievements, sizing him up. Yes, she supposed looking at him even now, she could see he'd be good. She coughed to clear her throat. "That's fortunate for him." She smiled. Slaves were rarely freed in her household, it was a waste of money as her father put it, but speaking to somebody who had once been subject to that life was disquieting. She brushed those thoughts aside at his question. 

"Once or twice, but do not judge me if I say I prefer the races." She chuckled, and even then she was escorted to watch, obviously. Wrinkling her nose, she shrugged. "Once I found out that some of the fights are staged in the arena it...lost its appeal. If I wanted to see a show, I'd ask for permission to visit the theatre." She chuckled, "Are they all like that? Where the winner is decided beforehand?" 

• Like 1

It was very fortunate for Lexus, that he was born free! And it was something that Alexius was very happy about. He'd been a slave, so had Lexus' mother, and they both were when Lexus was created. But he was born free. That meant a lot, to a former slave! That his son had never experienced slavery first-hand like his parents had. And that also meant that Lexus respected slaves a bit more, because he knew the history of both of his parents. So he nodded, when Ovinia stated how fortunate it was for his son to be born free.

After he'd talked a bit about his own career as a gladiator, he wondered if she ever watched the games. He knew some women disliked them greatly, some weren't allowed to go and others went and enjoyed them a lot. She said she preferred the races and hadn't been to many gladiatorial fights. She spoke of the fights being staged and then wondered more about how the games were set up.

"Oh no, not all fights. And definitely not fights to the death, unless it's a criminal and it's his execution. Then of course he must die. Some are staged, but not all. And I wouldn't compare it to the theatre at all. The theatre is not half as bloody and the actors don't get injured. Sometimes a gladiator may not die, but he'll be injured greatly. And that can have an impact on his future too. And his life!" Alexius explained, happy to talk about his favorite subject. He was kind of an expert, wasn't he?

"I don't know if everyone gives it as much thought as you do, Ovinia." He then added with a chuckle, "But if you are interested, I'll happily escort you to the arena sometime. I know the techniques and the strategy. You might find it interesting if you knew more?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia listened with genuine interest, finding the conversation the perfect antidote to what had happened - the perfect distraction. She didn't know where she'd heard the rumours that they were all staged, but it had stuck. Nodding, she glanced towards him; "And yet you speak about it with such reverence and...enjoyment," She managed a small laugh, feeling a little more like herself, "I...confess I don't understand. If I was...hurt," She glanced across at him with an anxious expression, harking back to what had happened only a little while ago, "I wouldn't particularly like to repeat it and I don't think I'd find it...fun." 

She chose to take his first statement as a compliment and concentrated on his second. His request startled her though and she blinked across at him.  "I...would have to ask my father," Who would say no unless he had a convincing reason to the contrary, "But I'd enjoy that. I know nothing and whenever I go with my brothers they just presume I know." She chuckled. "We're nearly here," she said with a relieved smile but paused and hesitated. "I owe you my thanks I...wish I could offer you something." 

• Like 1

He could tell she found it interesting, which only made him want to talk more. If only his own son could be so interested as she was! She commented that he spoke of gladiatorial fights with enjoyment and she laughed again. What a joy to hear her laugh, after how everything was earlier! Alexius couldn’t help but smile too. But then she commented that she didn’t understand how you would repeat something if you were hurt.

“I think it’s different for a few reasons… one, as a gladiator, you know you’re going to get hurt. You expect it. You trained for it. So you’re prepared. And two… well it’s not like a gladiator can just deny fighting, they’re slaves, after all. They have to repeat it when told to do so.” Alexius pointed out, because those were just facts. He’d even considered going back to the arena, but that’s before he began getting more steady jobs again. That’s before he met Oriana, although that was also in the past for now. But then Lexus came into his life and now he worked with Teutus. All was good, now. He didn’t need to sign up for the arena again… except of course when it was requested of him, like for that special Domus Venus event a while ago. That had been fun too.

Then he suggested taking Ovinia to see a fight if she would. She blinked, surprised, but then seemed to actually want it! She thought she’d enjoy it. Alexius was nothing but smiles for her, “I hope your father will allow it. After tonight, he must know you’re safe with me.” Alexius said and she pointed out that they’d reached her home.

“You don’t need to offer me anything. Besides, I only asked one thing and you gave that easily, right?” He said with a wink, when she called him Alexius as he asked her, “Do you want me to come inside and speak to your father?” That might also heighten her chances of going to the arena with him, he thought. See, how it all started out looking so bad for her tonight and now, it might end well after all.

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia was still not convinced but she - to her shame - supposed she hadn't really considered that slaves couldn't really say...no. She took her freedom for granted, she knew that, but...what else was she supposed to do?

With a light exhale, she nodded and glanced towards the door where a slave was lingering with a curious look. Clearly the one that had fled from her hadn't returned home to tell them what had happened. Coward. Well...he'd get his comeuppance. "Yes, yes come in...Daxus, fetch my father." She dipped her head at the slave who scurried inside and Ovinia followed in with a relaxed smile over her shoulder to Alexius. She felt a wave of relief wash over her as she entered the warmth of the richly, elaborately, expensively decorated atrium. She had a moment to gather her breath and glance at Alexius in embarrassment about just how...much she had, when she heard the heavy footsteps of her father who appeared, breathless around the corner. 

"Ovinia Camilla..." He was furious, she could tell. "What is the meaning of this? Who is this man?" he rounded on Alexius, "Who are you?" 

• Like 1

Alexius was already looking forwards to taking her to the arena to see a proper fight, with him, but had to stop himself when the door to her home opened. He had to speak to her father first, make sure he knew that Alexius wasn’t here to seduce his daughter or anything, he just wanted to teach her a little bit about gladiators, that’s all. At least that’s what he told himself. She was sweet, there was no doubt about that. Pity she wasn’t already married and a son, but he wasn’t about to risk her reputation. He wasn’t like that.

The slaves inside the home seemed surprised to see them both. Ovinia, because she was not followed by her slave, but by a stranger to the house. And Alexius, because he was the stranger, towering over her as he followed behind her further inside. It was a beautiful home, clearly a very wealthy family she had. Maybe he was stupid for not asking for anything in return, but he’d be true to his word.

It didn’t take long for the young woman’s father to appear. He tried to give Ovinia a reassuring small smile, before her father appeared, furious at the sudden incident in his house. Alexius stood still, gathering his hands on his back in a guard-like posture.

“Domine, I am Lucius Antonius Alexius.” He said, dipping his head. He was no slave, but he knew how to act towards a Senator, a Praetor even, “I had the honor of escorting your daughter home, after she was attacked by a stranger with a knife. She was luckily not injured, but her own slave left her and I came to her aid instead, to make sure there were no other incidents on the way.” It was better to be honest from the start and this was the short story of it all. He felt bad for Ovinia, her father might not want to let her out at night on her own again. He could only hope she would not be scolded for something that wasn't her fault. But Roman fathers could be the worst, sometimes.

@Sara

• Like 1

She watched her father's face as it melted between confusion, fury and horror. His hand flew to her face almost immediately, turning it from left to right as if checking for any damage as Alexius discussed what happened. She ground down on her jaw. 

"Thrasus ran when he saw the man," She shook her head as her father finally relinquished his grip on her face, "I presume he's not come home?" He shook his head, dumfounded. It took him a few further moments to regain his senses and when he did, he flushed red in anger, eyes narrowing and chest puffing out. It would be comical if the situation wasn't so serious. 

"Crixus!" He bellowed to a slave standing behind him, "Inform the vigiles of a runaway slave, and get the dogs. I want him found before dawn." The man nodded and hurried away, leaving Ovinia, her father and Alexius standing awkwardly in the atrium. She clapsed her hands together in front of her waist to keep from fidgeting out of nervousness. 

"You are sure you are uninjured?" He asked Ovinia and she nodded silently, before adding: "With thanks to Alexius here. He is a former gladiator, I've discovered, his training evidently still stands." A brief flicker of something crossed her fathers face before he blinked and started to nod. It took a few further moments of silence before recognition kicked in fully. A smile broke on her fathers face and he reached to slap a hand on Alexius' shoulder. "Lexus! I had thought you looked familiar..." He shook his head, "What are the chances of you running into my sweet Ovinia in her time of need, eh?" He cast a glance sideways at his daughter and she noted an air of suspicion in his look. That would be a conversation for later. "You must take a drink, and payment for your services. You're in the guarding business now?" 

• Like 1

For a moment there he feared he’d have to tackle the Praetor, when his hand flew so abruptly to her face! Alexius thought her father would hit her. But instead he seemed more worried about if she’d been injured. She had not! Alexius made sure of that! She had not even eaten anything! Ovinia joined in, to explain what happened and the slave had not come home, it would seem. Her father grew angry, commanding another slave to find the runaway slave. Alexius felt sorry for the slave, but he also felt bad for Ovinia, who could have been badly hurt or maybe even murdered, had Alexius not come.

He wanted to comfort her, she seemed nervous, but he wouldn’t dare to touch her in front of her father. Even if it was for a comforting embrace. He hated seeing women like this. Inferior, frightened, sad. Especially when he recalled their conversations, she’d seemed quite bright, even if somewhat naïve, but that was hardly her own fault. She could be great, if allowed.

They then continued their conversation and Alexius waited politely. Ovinia said that Alexius was once a gladiator and her father seemed to suddenly put two and two together. Alexius had to bite his cheek to also not smile too broadly, when he was recognized. He nodded, when the man used his gladiator name. He expected the question asked was not one he was supposed to answer. Especially not with the look the father gave Ovinia. Right, he knew Alexius. That meant he probably knew his reputation too. Well he wasn’t shy about it. But he had been good, he had not touched Ovinia or even really considered it. Not much anyway.

“I expect no payment, Domine. It was my honor to aid your daughter. But I will take a drink, if you insist.” He added with a grin, only a fool would turn down the good wine a Senator could offer! “I do indeed work as a guard now. I have done so for many years, since I was freed. So with that in mind, guarding Ovinia was no big deal.”

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia watched with vague amusement at the conversation between two men. Of course her father would melt at the prospect of meeting one of his sporting heroes, enough to soften his bristling personality. He flicked his hand to get some wine brought to the atrium and Ovinia - whilst her father was distracted - flashed a warm smile at Alexius in thanks. When he turned back around she demurely settled her smile into a neutral expression. 

"Ovinia Camilla is indeed worthy of guarding despite the trouble she finds herself in, but you have my sincere thanks anyway. My daughter is precious to me, you understand."  A slave appeared with a couple of cups of wine. Her father took one and the other was passed to Alexius. She clasped her hands together. She wasn't thirsty anyway. 

"And where are you working now?" She saw the flash of something in her father eyes and narrowed her gaze at him, "My daughter will be going out of the house a little more over the coming months as she meets with prospective grooms. Should you have decent references, in thanks I would be happy  to offer you some work...should you need it, of course." 

• Haha 1

Alexius enjoyed it all now, actually. The way Ovinia's father spoke to him and the warm smile she sent him too, while her father looked away. He winked at her, it was as if they had a secret, despite having told her father everything. Well almost, anyway. The important parts! For the smile she sent him faded when her father's attention returned to Alexius. Then her father spoke more of how good Ovinia was and precious to him and Alexius nodded, "I imagined she would be. She is a trinket." Alexius hoped that wasn't overstepping, but really, she was! Beautiful, witty, smart... her future husband would be a very lucky man! 

Her father then asked more into Alexius work and he could easily see where this was going.

"I currently work as the head guard of security at a warehouse by the river." And it was a job he'd not quit, because Teutus was also his friend, well among other things anyway. But he did enjoy the conversation with Ovinia and he'd already invited her to the arena, so why should he deny her father's great idea? If he agreed to this, her father might allow that trip to the arena too. Sometimes you had to make a sacrifice to get something good. Alexius knew all about that.

"I suppose I could take an extra job or two, if she needs to be escorted somewhere. I'll make sure she gets through Rome safely. And on top of that, make sure that the prospective grooms don't overstep any boundaries too." He added with a smile. After all, who would be better at spotting the signs, if not Alexius? He glanced at Ovinia, it must be so strange for her, hearing her father and Alexius speak of her as if she wasn't there. Alexius was well aware of her presence though, so he looked at her, "What do you think, Ovinia? Would I be a decent bodyguard to you, on occasion?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia suppressed a scoff by biting down on her tongue. Hard. She wanted to argue that she didn't need a guard, that she was perfectly capable of minding herself but then again, she supposed, recent experiences had told her she couldn't. Still - it was nothing that a properly trained and disciplined slave couldn't handle, she was sure. She'd been to the markets, she'd seen the big brutes they had for sale, one of those would surely suffice - she didn't need a freedman to trail her around! Not that her father asked for her opinion on the subject. 

But Alexius did and she blinked as he turned to look at her, a little embarrassed but flashing a grateful smile in his direction given that he'd actually chosen to include her for once. She glanced across to her father who was looking at her expectantly. "Papa there's really no need..." But that was met with a scoff and an eye-roll as if it was a stupid statement to make. "There is need if you come home scared out of your wits because a madman with a knife wants to have you!" He snapped, although not unkindly, more out of frustration. Swallowing and realising that her father was unlikely to take no for an answer, she flourished her best diplomatic smile; "Fine. As long as Alexius is compensated fairly for his work, and it does not invade on my privacy, I will allow it." 

Her father clapped his hands together, wine dribbling out of his cup as he did. "Wonderful! Lexus," Ovinia stifled a groan - that was not his name anymore, "What is your schedule like for the next few weeks?" 

• Like 1

Alexius would argue that he was at least as good a guard as any slave, because he had his freedom and he chose to do the work he did. No one ordered him to. He could turn it down. So that he chose to agree with it, that he chose to say yes to the job… that meant he would be loyal to whomever paid him for his work.

He promised Ovinia’s father he’d take good care of her and get her through Rome safely – and then, because he felt bad about talking about Ovinia without including her in the conversation… he did just that. But she seemed surprised and uncertain and looked to her father, who didn’t want her out and about in Rome when there was a madman on the lose. Alexius could only agree with that statement! Ovinia did not need more such… incidents.

Poor Ovinia though, she was having trouble with the conversation. It always was harder to speak to young ladies in front of their fathers, they never dared to speak their mind. But then she agreed to the idea and her father was more than pleased.

“I promise I will not invade on your privacy.” Alexius said to her, hoping he could keep that promise. She was pretty. And sweet. But he tried hard to not touch women unless they wanted him to. Else they’d slap him, like Charis did. Sweet Charis… but that was not the current situation.

“Please, I am a freedman now. Lucius Antonius Alexius. I prefer Alexius though.” He corrected her father, “And I don’t have my schedule on me, but I’ll ask my employer tomorrow and send a messenger to you?” He suggested then, because that would be easiest. Alexius never really cracked the code for writing and reading, he could do a little, but not much. Using a messenger boy was far easier than writing a note, so he’d do that.

@Sara

• Like 1