I give that you might give

Sara

He was at your party.

Yeah, and Tiberius hadn't said hello to him. He'd been almost unforgivably distracted. He'd resolved not to be so again, which was an easy resolution to make when the source of the distraction wasn't present. "I should meet him." He agreed. "I'd like to. Being your brother I have no doubt he'd an interesting conversationalist." And, as she pointed out, someone he should make a connection with. From the sound of things he was towards the end of his time as a Tribune; it might be good to pick his brains purely on that front. "I haven't met your older brother either." He added. Technically he knew her father at least by sight, simply from exposure in the Senate. But that didn't mean he really knew him.

The suggestion that she and her brothers and some of their other peers could sit in the Imperial box with him and watch the races seemed to go down well though Ovinia, ever proper, pointed out that Tiberius might wish to make it clear that she was being invited as a friend only. It was likely meant purely for propriety, but it did plant the thought in Tiberius's head. Ovinia was around his own age, older than he would be expected to match with in a few years time, but she was currently unmarried. On the one hand the image of Sosia, with her dark eyes and her flowers in her hair, hung in his mind's eye, and on the other hand was the voice of Calpurnius Praetextatus extolling the virtues of an intelligent wife. Sosia was sweet and gentle and relaxing to be around, but Ovinia was smart, even cunning, yet playful and still not afraid to challenge him.

But both were too old for him so it didn't matter. Ovinia would make some Senator a good ally as a wife, if he wasn't afraid to let her express her full potential. But she was great fun to talk to.

Still, they had reached the temple of Vesta, where he had once spoken with the High Priestess about his mother, after he'd brought offerings to ask for the safety of Rome. The Vestal Virgins were keepers of the spiritual hearth of the Empire. "It's been a most enjoyable walk, even if you have wrangled two promises out of me in the course of it." He grinned, knowing full well that he had offered both the things she reminded him of. "I'll look forward to speaking with you again, Ovinia Camilla." He inclined his head the right amount to acknowledge her bow with the respect due a woman of the Empire, then watched as she turned away before heading off himself.

Somehow Ovinia Camilla wasn't at all what he had expected from their brief meeting at his party. She was far more fascinating.

@Sara

• Like 1